PDA

View Full Version : raised subwoofer rings

BreakMyWallet
12-18-2007, 02:32 PM
wsup fellas.. gotta get my system done before show season and dont really wanna do the whole fiberglassing thing.. i was thinkin of just doing a regular sealed box but build up rings where the sub sits to make it pop out a bit. whats the best was to do that?

fiberglass?

would bondo work? i need something that will last and not crack ect

anyone has pictures of this?

thanks guys!

JimJ
12-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Use MDF...a Jasper jig on a plunge router makes this a piece of cake...

audiobahnuser18
12-18-2007, 02:37 PM
x2 on jasper Jig & MDF .

BreakMyWallet
12-18-2007, 02:42 PM
*** you guys are fast.

not too good with specialty tools yet.. theres no way i can just make mdf rings and bondo it a bit do make it sturdy and sand it down smooth and cover in suede?

BreakMyWallet
12-18-2007, 02:44 PM
nvm i know what the jasper jig is. my router is fuked up tho :(

JimJ
12-18-2007, 02:46 PM
You could always do something out of Bondo, but if it's getting covered in suede then that's going to be an assload of unnecessary sanding if you just used a circle jig in the first place.

ramos
12-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Could always just cut the circle with a jigsaw and then sand them , But if you decide to go the filler route, use reinforced filler :)

BreakMyWallet
12-18-2007, 02:51 PM
im not concerned with cutting the rings.. just filling in the space from the raised circles to the rest of the box.

fozzymuphet
12-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Just fiberglass it. I assume you are talking about something like this
http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/reinforced.jpg
And maybe even adding a few rings on top of that to push the sub farther out. If this is the case then just screw a few more rings to the rings already in place AFTER you fiberglass the fleece then just do a few layers of fiberglass around it, followed by some bondo to smoothe it out.

BreakMyWallet
12-18-2007, 03:57 PM
yeah maybe ill do something like that.

car is going to be mostly show so i may need to do something a little more showy but still clean

audioarsonal
12-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I just cut some MDF rings slightly bigger then the sub and then mount them to the box with some brads.Then use some "kitty hair" and go around the ring to give it a contoured look.

ramos
12-18-2007, 04:46 PM
im not concerned with cutting the rings.. just filling in the space from the raised circles to the rest of the box.

ahh okay , Slap the rings on and kitty hair that bastage. Sand the fark out of it with some 60-80 grit :)

mlstrass
12-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Or make the rings oversized and do a beveled edge that will taper down to the surface of the box and cover it and be done...

IamDeMan
12-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Use MDF...a Jasper jig on a plunge router makes this a piece of cake...

Indeed. Even my cheap *** SKIL plunge + Jasper + downward spiral bit = perfection. Then route a flush trim and done.

ramos
12-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Or make the rings oversized and do a beveled edge that will taper down to the surface of the box and cover it and be done...

That would be the easiest way, but the op said he's not good with a router . I know there is a pilot bearing. Just going by what the man said :)

miker
12-18-2007, 05:44 PM
That would be the easiest way, but the op said he's not good with a router . I know there is a pilot bearing. Just going by what the man said :)

So why not makes rings, and make them blend with some bondo?

BreakMyWallet
12-22-2007, 12:45 AM
didnt say i wasnt good with a router.. just my router is focked up ;)

might just go with the kitty hair/ sand idea.

or go with a box facing my seats ported straight into my cabin so i get no rattle.. well see.. show season isnt for a few months so i have time. thanks everyone for your help! i appreciate it

yama168
12-24-2007, 10:36 PM
so any updates on this project?. would like to see what you can up with..

Aloha

BreakMyWallet
01-16-2008, 04:31 PM
naw i decided to just go 1 idmax ported into the cabin on my bmw. ill have some pictures of that up :)

IamDeMan
01-16-2008, 06:52 PM
You could always do something out of Bondo, but if it's getting covered in suede then that's going to be an assload of unnecessary sanding if you just used a circle jig in the first place.

I would circle jig a few rings increasing in size then bondo the layers for a smooth flowing look.