PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Double Dins (navs)

UCF52
12-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Okay, I am purchasing a new car and would like to start picking/buying gear that will be used in the build. I am pretty set on doing a double-din nav system, but I have no idea what is good and what isn’t. I have tried to search for comparisons, but come up empty for the most part. I have gone through a few reviews, but was curious if somebody could provide a little more input; if anybody has any comparison links that would be great.

What I would like the unit to have… well… ipod will be used pretty exclusively. bluetooth would be nice as well as Sirius satellite radio. The navigation is not too important as I really doubt I will get a lot of use out of it. I would like the screen to be as sharp as possible, but I know that theses units usually don’t carry this trait. Are there any other features I should keep my eye out for?

I have come up with a list of units that seems to fit the bill as far as requirements and price:

Alpine w205
Eclipse AVN6610
Eclipse AVN5510
Pioneer Avic D3
Kenwood DNX7100
JVC AVX800

I have had the chance to play with the w205 and the 5510. To be honest I wasn’t really impressed wit either; especially the 5510. The screen layout/display looked cheap, like Jensen in-dash cheap. Maybe I am too picky or are there units out there with a better display (resolution)? The Alpine seemed to be a little nicer, but I still am a little fuzzy on what comes with it and what needs to be added on. Obviously bluetooth, Sirius and the ipod cable are separate, but as far as basic functionality is there anything it is missing?  I think the nav is separate.

Anyways, the car is a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe. I will be doing components/amps/sub as well. Unfortunately, the dash kit for this vehicle is a hefty $250. I can get the Metra kit for $80, but have read that the quality is a bit below par. With that in mind, I don’t want to spend too much on this unit. Like I said the navigation is not important, more or less the user interface is my main concern. I can get killer deals (closer to 70% off msrp) on the Eclipse units as well as the Pioneers and the JVC.

If anybody could shed a little light or breakdown my decision it would be greatly appreciated. I am just looking for somebody to point me in the right direction. I have never owned an in-dash, so I am not sure if there are any major things I should be informed of. Once again thanks for any input you guys can give.

* cliffs - trying to compare double din nav units.

Towncar
12-17-2007, 11:25 PM
I like the d3 alot. It is very user friendly, and gives you alot of features for the money. One thing I dont like is its dvd navigation, but still pretty unbeatable for the price..

UCF52
12-19-2007, 12:26 AM
I like the d3 alot. It is very user friendly, and gives you alot of features for the money. One thing I dont like is its dvd navigation, but still pretty unbeatable for the price..

I think I am going to go with the D3. After reading up a lot about it, playing with it at work today, and getting good discounts on it, it seems like the most logical choice. Do you have one? What really stood out on it? What did it noticeably lack? Basically any other useful info on it?

inapontiac
12-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Alpine w205 = The best way to add navi to this unit would be the alpine b200. The newest portable navigation from alpine that docks inside the 205. it comes with built in bluetooth. the navigation on this one isnt as good as it should be. the routes it tells you is the route most likely to be taken, more popular routes. not the quickest.

Eclipse AVN6610 = really good navi that is built in, has dual dvd slots so you can watch a movie and still have navi, highly expensive

Eclipse AVN5510 = same as above but has a cd drive and a dvd drive. both run off Map Dvds.

Pioneer Avic D3 = no experience with

Kenwood DNX7100 = navigation through the menus is easy

JVC AVX800 = no experiecne

UCF52
12-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Alpine w205 = The best way to add navi to this unit would be the alpine b200. The newest portable navigation from alpine that docks inside the 205. it comes with built in bluetooth. the navigation on this one isnt as good as it should be. the routes it tells you is the route most likely to be taken, more popular routes. not the quickest.

Eclipse AVN6610 = really good navi that is built in, has dual dvd slots so you can watch a movie and still have navi, highly expensive

Eclipse AVN5510 = same as above but has a cd drive and a dvd drive. both run off Map Dvds.

Pioneer Avic D3 = no experience with

Kenwood DNX7100 = navigation through the menus is easy

JVC AVX800 = no experiecne

Thanks for the rundown. Price on the Eclipses is irrelevant... I can get them both for under $900. I just didn't like them when I auditioned them. The display seems very cheap (looked really similar to the Jensen right next to it).

Things I would like to have (and work well):

Display/ease of use
iPod integration
Bluetooth
Sirius

audioarsonal
12-19-2007, 10:51 AM
The eclipse has the built in nav maps which is nice.With the pioneer if your using the cd/dvd slot and you want to look up something on the nav you have to insert a disk.Which means stopping in the middle of a movie or cd and restarting.I have an N-1 and love it other then that fact.I have also dealt with a Kenwood ddx6019 with the garmin based nav that is also built in and has easy upgrade via fire wire or memory card.The D-3 also has a smaller screen then the others.My personal choice would be the Eclipse or a Kenwood model.

UCF52
12-19-2007, 12:36 PM
The eclipse has the built in nav maps which is nice.With the pioneer if your using the cd/dvd slot and you want to look up something on the nav you have to insert a disk.Which means stopping in the middle of a movie or cd and restarting.I have an N-1 and love it other then that fact.I have also dealt with a Kenwood ddx6019 with the garmin based nav that is also built in and has easy upgrade via fire wire or memory card.The D-3 also has a smaller screen then the others.My personal choice would be the Eclipse or a Kenwood model.

Were you satisfied with the display/screen/user interface on the Eclipse units? Maybe I am just picky, but I was really dissatisfied with the 5510/6610. I really don't think I will be to affected by the nav issue with the D3. I use my iPod 100% of the time for audio and really doubt I will watch movies while I am driving. I am trying not to spend too much money especially on something I will not take full advantage of (i.e. navigation).

Avic D3 (BNIB, Authorized, 4 year warranty) = $600
Eclipse 5510 (BNIB, Authorized, 4 year warranty) = $800
Eclipse 6610 (BNIB, Authorized, 4 year warranty) = $975
Kenwood DNX7100 (BNIB, Unauthorized, No warranty) = $1000

With my dissatisfaction of the Eclipse units and the higher priced/unauthorized Kenwood, the Pioneer seems to be the most logical choice.

audioarsonal
12-19-2007, 01:26 PM
The kenwood I used had a 6.95in screen compared to the 6.1in on the pioneer with the picture quailty being about the same.The nav system in the pioneer has more POI's I believe at 12 million but this is because they use the cd's to store the info rather then hard drive.Pioneer's are pretty user friendly compared to the kenwood which requires more complex keystrokes to acess functions.Basically pioneer is one touch access.Either would do the smaller screen is deffentily a draw back compared to 7in.When they are that small every litlle bit helps.
They are all pretty good and if you can get a good deal on the d3 go ahead.

blazeplacid
12-19-2007, 01:28 PM
I had the D3 and the AVn 5510

The 5510 has more sound options but thats it

The Nav on the D3 is 40x better.
Has way more POIs and has telephone look up and you can do that both ways . Phone number first of business first and it will give you the phone number.

The ipod control is about the same.

Xm or Sirus in the D3

And you can customize all the screens even the start up.
I have my start up screen differant,nav and audio screens all set up

Its a really great unit if you use an ipod.
The only thing is the NAV disk which I dont mind since I dont have a rear monitor or kids.

I dont see why people nag about that so much?
Is everyone driving with a DVD playing ?? no music?

audioarsonal
12-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I listen to xm most of the time.But when I am traveling I like to pop in a dvd and that is usually when I need nav as well.So it does kinda *****, even if your listening to a cd you still have to put the nav disk in to find anything!
The phone number feature is **** I use it constantly, but it won't find people's houses only business.
And no its more for the "coooooool" factor.....hahahaha

Johnnyi
12-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Were you satisfied with the display/screen/user interface on the Eclipse units? Maybe I am just picky, but I was really dissatisfied with the 5510/6610. I really don't think I will be to affected by the nav issue with the D3. I use my iPod 100% of the time for audio and really doubt I will watch movies while I am driving. I am trying not to spend too much money especially on something I will not take full advantage of (i.e. navigation).

Avic D3 (BNIB, Authorized, 4 year warranty) = $600
Eclipse 5510 (BNIB, Authorized, 4 year warranty) = $800
Eclipse 6610 (BNIB, Authorized, 4 year warranty) = $975
Kenwood DNX7100 (BNIB, Unauthorized, No warranty) = $1000

With my dissatisfaction of the Eclipse units and the higher priced/unauthorized Kenwood, the Pioneer seems to be the most logical choice.

Where are you finding those prices??? 6610 for $975 and 4 year warranty? that is very low! as well as the other prices. Where are those prices from??

Towncar
12-19-2007, 09:18 PM
I think I am going to go with the D3. After reading up a lot about it, playing with it at work today, and getting good discounts on it, it seems like the most logical choice. Do you have one? What really stood out on it? What did it noticeably lack? Basically any other useful info on it?

I dont own it, but I use it everyday at work, so I deal with it on a everyday basis. Only thing i can think that it lacks is the screen size, it could have been slightly bigger, but its not a big deal to me.

UCF52
12-19-2007, 11:35 PM
The kenwood I used had a 6.95in screen compared to the 6.1in on the pioneer with the picture quailty being about the same.The nav system in the pioneer has more POI's I believe at 12 million but this is because they use the cd's to store the info rather then hard drive.Pioneer's are pretty user friendly compared to the kenwood which requires more complex keystrokes to acess functions.Basically pioneer is one touch access.Either would do the smaller screen is deffentily a draw back compared to 7in.When they are that small every litlle bit helps.
They are all pretty good and if you can get a good deal on the d3 go ahead.

I was looking at the screens today and I think i would be happy with the 6.1.

I had the D3 and the AVn 5510

The 5510 has more sound options but thats it

The Nav on the D3 is 40x better.
Has way more POIs and has telephone look up and you can do that both ways . Phone number first of business first and it will give you the phone number.

The ipod control is about the same.

Xm or Sirus in the D3

And you can customize all the screens even the start up.
I have my start up screen differant,nav and audio screens all set up

Its a really great unit if you use an ipod.
The only thing is the NAV disk which I dont mind since I dont have a rear monitor or kids.

I dont see why people nag about that so much?
Is everyone driving with a DVD playing ?? no music?

Yea, these are the reasons why i think i want the D3... I will be using iPod exclusively, nav isn't a big deal, and I would like to have a decent screen (resolution/interface).

Where are you finding those prices??? 6610 for $975 and 4 year warranty? that is very low! as well as the other prices. Where are those prices from??

mmm, can't really say, but just know that you don't have access to it, so you are not missing out on anything that you could take advantage of.

I dont own it, but I use it everyday at work, so I deal with it on a everyday basis. Only thing i can think that it lacks is the screen size, it could have been slightly bigger, but its not a big deal to me.

Same here. And the screen is fine for me. I just need something to fill a DD mounting size and I don't think I want to do a single and a pocket in a G35... I just don't think it will look right after seeing so many pictures of the DD's installed.

Johnnyi
12-20-2007, 10:45 AM
mmm, can't really say, but just know that you don't have access to it, so you are not missing out on anything that you could take advantage of.

c'mon share! I want a deal too. :D

AVSTANG02
12-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Alpine really failed hard on the w205 and the nav unit.

UCF52
12-20-2007, 11:41 AM
c'mon share! I want a deal too. :D

Haha, can't. Just know that you have to be employed somewhere to get the discount. :)

Good to know. What's your take on the Avic D3?

ABSOLUTEAUDIO
12-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Go with the d3. It has many many extra's you can add. I have bluetooth,xm,multi cd,sirius,ipod. You will love it.

nbudros
12-20-2007, 12:29 PM
If your looking for a Brand New AVN5510, I have one, im interested in selling it works perfectly and has ipod control and navigation and sirius good till march, Im just not interested in a double din, plus taxes are comming up and i need to sell mine.

Im looking for 800 shipped.

UCF52
12-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Go with the d3. It has many many extra's you can add. I have bluetooth,xm,multi cd,sirius,ipod. You will love it.

Are their any dislikes about the D3 that you have discovered? Or maybe wish it had a feature that a higher priced unit would have? I do plan on sirius/iPod/bluetooth... how well do they work in your opinion.

If your looking for a Brand New AVN5510, I have one, im interested in selling it works perfectly and has ipod control and navigation and sirius good till march, Im just not interested in a double din, plus taxes are comming up and i need to sell mine.

I appreciate the offer but I can get the 5510 BNIB/authorized/4 year warranty for $775. I also don't think I want an Eclipse unit anyways.

Johnnyi
12-20-2007, 06:05 PM
If it were purely value. I would likely choose the D3... However I cannot get past the looks of it. I dont like the looks of it. To me all of the others listed have a cleaner look.

I did have a AVN6600 in my previous vehicle. I thought I had to have the highest end model with dual drives, etc... But in fact with the iPod connected, I think I used my CD player 1 time in 2 years. The iPod is just a better way for me to control the music without shuffling disks around. All of the Eclipse I was happy with except for the Maps. even with the 07 updates there are MANY roads that are not even showing. Seems like you are driving though fields...

I'm in the selection process again as you. I have narrowed my search down to the Kenwood 7100. Seems to have the best value for the features that i want. I have been playing with a display at a local shop to see if those missing roads were there. Seems to be pretty good. And with Garmin being the GPS, I want to believe it will have better updates for the future. ...The feature that I really wish it had is the Phone number search... That is a nice feature if you have the business phone number to find the location quicker without trying to figure out if the road is a FM, State Highway, North or South, etc...

The Z2 for me was high on the list... But The cost is a little crazy. If I could see the value in it other than the phone number search, I would have to strongly consider.

Johnnyi
12-20-2007, 06:06 PM

Why are you looking to sell your 5510? Locally they are going for about $900 to $950 installed.

jluv
12-20-2007, 06:56 PM

That's not true. You have been given (and are now passing on) bad information.

The Blackbird is pretty advanced. You can choose between shortest (distance) and quickest (time). It has nothing to do with "popular routes". You can also maximize freeway, minimize freeway, etc. The first Blackbird was a piece, but they've worked out the bugs. The biggest problem with the second gen Blackbird is the price.

The W205 is a great head unit to START a system, but you pretty much have to add everything separately. I have just about everything you can add to it, and it's great, but very expensive. The main reason I purchased it was to use it with the H701, and everything else came later. Unless you are really going crazy, you can probably get what you're looking for for less money and without getting so many different pieces.

jluv
12-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Why do you feel that way? I disagree wholeheartedly.

UCF52
12-20-2007, 07:10 PM
If it were purely value. I would likely choose the D3... However I cannot get past the looks of it. I dont like the looks of it. To me all of the others listed have a cleaner look.

I did have a AVN6600 in my previous vehicle. I thought I had to have the highest end model with dual drives, etc... But in fact with the iPod connected, I think I used my CD player 1 time in 2 years. The iPod is just a better way for me to control the music without shuffling disks around. All of the Eclipse I was happy with except for the Maps. even with the 07 updates there are MANY roads that are not even showing. Seems like you are driving though fields...

I'm in the selection process again as you. I have narrowed my search down to the Kenwood 7100. Seems to have the best value for the features that i want. I have been playing with a display at a local shop to see if those missing roads were there. Seems to be pretty good. And with Garmin being the GPS, I want to believe it will have better updates for the future. ...The feature that I really wish it had is the Phone number search... That is a nice feature if you have the business phone number to find the location quicker without trying to figure out if the road is a FM, State Highway, North or South, etc...

The Z2 for me was high on the list... But The cost is a little crazy. If I could see the value in it other than the phone number search, I would have to strongly consider.

Hmm, I will very rarely use the GPS if at all. iPod will be my main source of audio. I still think for the money the D3 is the best choice. I will still hold back judgment until I get to audition the 7100 and the 205 (again). Thanks for the info!

Johnnyi
12-20-2007, 09:45 PM
If you are not or rarely going to use the Nav. Why not just get the Alpine 9887 and the 701 controller.

Or are you wanting for the DVD player?

Johnnyi
12-20-2007, 09:50 PM
scratch that... The double dins are just cleaner looking :D

skrilla22
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
my buddy has an eclipse double din unit. 5500 i think? It's pretty nice, however a while ago the volume button broke.. he returned it to car toys, but they had to send it in to eclipse to get it fixed. He was without a H/U for 12 weeks. ouch

UCF52
12-20-2007, 11:28 PM
If you are not or rarely going to use the Nav. Why not just get the Alpine 9887 and the 701 controller.

Or are you wanting for the DVD player?

Well, that's a great question. I want (like you said in the next post) a clean look. It will be going into a G35 coupe, and after seeing so many DD's in the G35's it is hard to go with sDIN and a pocket or a sDIN and a DSP unit. Plus I might be staying passive for a while.

scratch that... The double dins are just cleaner looking :D

:D

my buddy has an eclipse double din unit. 5500 i think? It's pretty nice, however a while ago the volume button broke.. he returned it to car toys, but they had to send it in to eclipse to get it fixed. He was without a H/U for 12 weeks. ouch

that *****.

How about the Eclipse AVN5495 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BHyMP65X70p/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=touchscreen&i=099AVN5495)? I can get it for $1350... any thoughts? Worth the extra money?

Johnnyi
12-20-2007, 11:38 PM
How about the Eclipse AVN5495 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BHyMP65X70p/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=touchscreen&i=099AVN5495)? I can get it for $1350... any thoughts?

CarToys in Houston had one left as a close out display model for $899. I think you can find less than that price. ebay has 1 for 1079 plus shipping... But all of the form fit and features are like the 6600 and 5500. Except you get the hard drive. Nice piece dont get me wrong. I really liked my 6600. But I thought you mentioned above you had the Eclipse further down on the list?

Johnnyi
12-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Have you considered the Kenwood 8019? That is the high end piece that you can get at most places for about $800-$900. Roughly the same price as the 7100. 5v outputs, plus the exelon warranty, additional graphics and I believe some more eq options...? The 8019 is w/o navigation. I guess you give up the navigation that you say you will use very little and have the more high end piece?

UCF52
12-20-2007, 11:58 PM
CarToys in Houston had one left as a close out display model for $899. I think you can find less than that price. ebay has 1 for 1079 plus shipping... But all of the form fit and features are like the 6600 and 5500. Except you get the hard drive. Nice piece dont get me wrong. I really liked my 6600. But I thought you mentioned above you had the Eclipse further down on the list?

I did. I really didn't like the display on the Eclipse 55/6610.

Have you considered the Kenwood 8019? That is the high end piece that you can get at most places for about $800-$900. Roughly the same price as the 7100. 5v outputs, plus the exelon warranty, additional graphics and I believe some more eq options...? The 8019 is w/o navigation. I guess you give up the navigation that you say you will use very little and have the more high end piece?

I can get them authorized/warranty through my work for the aforementioned prices, so I plan on doing that unless something outside of what I carry is worth it. With the navigation being very low on my priority list I will have to definitely check the 8019 out, thanks!

EDIT - okay, just for some clarification I have compiled a list of units. Lets recap... navigation is NOT important to me AT ALL. So if it meens keeping costs down then that would be for the best. Things I am looking for... display/screen quality - iPod - Blutooth - Sirius. It seems all of the units are capable of the ipod/bt/sirius, so it comes down to something that has the best display/screen/ease of use/quality. Keep in mind that I can get good discounts on the Pioneer/Panasonic/and Eclipse units.

Display - Quality - Price For the most part the ipod/bt/ and sirius will be roughly the same price to add.

Alpine w205
Eclipse AVN5495
Panasonic Strada
Pioneer Avic D3
Pioneer Avic Z2
Kenwood DNX8019
Kenwood DNX6019

SRim23
12-21-2007, 02:08 AM
have you made a decision on this yet? havent read all the posts.

i have owned pioneer avic n1 and now own eclipse avn 5435 and i have to say i love the eclipse compared to the pioneer.

i think my eclipse beats the pioneer in all aspects. dual slots so i can have a cd in and nav at the same time (no need for a cd changer like with the pioneer) musically the eclipse sounds 1000x better and has more tuning options.

dont know if its an issue with you or if it has been mentioned but my pioneer was very difficult to bypass (use functions while moving) the pioneer needed soldering on the board in order to do it but the eclipse just needed the parking break wire grounded.

installation was easy with the eclipse(didnt have to worry about an external brain unit)

dont know much about the alpine unit other than to expand it it costs alot of money. the nav, EQ's can get pricey.

like i said i love my eclipse. also eclipse customer service was much easier to deal with than pioneer.

just my .2 cents. hope it helps

UCF52
12-21-2007, 08:09 AM
have you made a decision on this yet? havent read all the posts.

i have owned pioneer avic n1 and now own eclipse avn 5435 and i have to say i love the eclipse compared to the pioneer.

i think my eclipse beats the pioneer in all aspects. dual slots so i can have a cd in and nav at the same time (no need for a cd changer like with the pioneer) musically the eclipse sounds 1000x better and has more tuning options.

dont know if its an issue with you or if it has been mentioned but my pioneer was very difficult to bypass (use functions while moving) the pioneer needed soldering on the board in order to do it but the eclipse just needed the parking break wire grounded.

installation was easy with the eclipse(didnt have to worry about an external brain unit)

dont know much about the alpine unit other than to expand it it costs alot of money. the nav, EQ's can get pricey.

like i said i love my eclipse. also eclipse customer service was much easier to deal with than pioneer.

just my .2 cents. hope it helps

Thanks for the information. I still haven't made a decision yet. Probably in the next 2-3 weeks.

blazeplacid
12-21-2007, 08:50 AM
D3 bypass is easy

Just move a pin and ground it with the parking brake

Johnnyi
12-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Alpine w205
Eclipse AVN5495
Panasonic Strada
Pioneer Avic D3
Pioneer Avic Z2
Kenwood DNX8019
Kenwood DNX6019

:crap: Panasonic. Not sure if you have listened to it yet... But there is a noticable difference between the Strada compared to all of the others listed. It is packed with some features. But to add options you have to also purchase some expansion module.. But most important. The sound is not up to par with the others. And to me it is cheezy. Just looks cheap.

I believe Santa has in his bag for me the Kenwood 7100. I choose that one over the others as I placed a higher priority on the Navigation. If had not been for cost and the additional piece to hide, I would have choosen the DNX8019 with the GPS module.

UCF52
12-21-2007, 06:21 PM
:crap: Panasonic. Not sure if you have listened to it yet... But there is a noticable difference between the Strada compared to all of the others listed. It is packed with some features. But to add options you have to also purchase some expansion module.. But most important. The sound is not up to par with the others. And to me it is cheezy. Just looks cheap.

I believe Santa has in his bag for me the Kenwood 7100. I choose that one over the others as I placed a higher priority on the Navigation. If had not been for cost and the additional piece to hide, I would have choosen the DNX8019 with the GPS module.

Yea, the Garmin GPS on the Kenwoods are supposed to be really nice. I am now starting to think Alpine. Pretty cheap to buy and add the ipod/sirius/BT. Still thinking the Kenwood 8019 as well. Does anybody know if Best Buy has the w205 and the 8019? Looking for somebody who has it so I can audition them.

Whitey
12-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Can you use the iPod while the NAV disc is in the D3? That would eliminate the need to juggle back and forth between CD and NAV discs.

kodak314
12-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Can you use the iPod while the NAV disc is in the D3? That would eliminate the need to juggle back and forth between CD and NAV discs.

yea you can use the ipod while the Nav disc is in

Johnnyi
12-22-2007, 05:57 PM
I went to play with double din players today. I would be hard pressed to pass up that deal you can get on the Eclipse 6610. That is a very nice unit! Eclipse quality, features and your price. I would take that in a heart beat! ...even though I have the Kenwood 7100 coming. My 7100 is going to run me $1200 INSTALLED w/ dash kit harness and adptrs... Of course I have a $100 add for the stupid Onstar adptr. So my vehicle choice is jacking up my overall deal.

kodak314
12-22-2007, 09:13 PM
I went to play with double din players today. I would be hard pressed to pass up that deal you can get on the Eclipse 6610. That is a very nice unit! Eclipse quality, features and your price. I would take that in a heart beat! ...even though I have the Kenwood 7100 coming. My 7100 is going to run me $1200 INSTALLED w/ dash kit harness and adptrs... Of course I have a $100 add for the stupid Onstar adptr. So my vehicle choice is jacking up my overall deal.

let me know how that 7100 is, cause im thinkin bout gettin it in the future

UCF52
12-22-2007, 09:58 PM

I know. I was able to get some quality time at work today and really dig deep and play with it. For the money it is a hard deal to pass up. I honestly think I will go with that. Plus the 3 year comes standard and the ESN... yea the 6610 might be the one after all.

Johnnyi
12-22-2007, 10:35 PM
If I could get the 6610 at your price.. I would make Santa take back my 7100 :D

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out... With Pics! ;)

UCF52
12-22-2007, 11:06 PM
If I could get the 6610 at your price.. I would make Santa take back my 7100 :D

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out... With Pics! ;)

Haha, thanks. I will definitely do a nice build log as soon as it gets underway. I will be acquiring the car in about 3-5 weeks, so I am going to get as much homework done now so I can start buying as soon as I get the car here. Thanks again guys for all of the help and information.

dazza7
12-24-2007, 05:57 PM
i'm suprised no one has mentioned the JVC avx800, Quality looks top notch on the HU and supports divx etc. Results will be posted.

UCF52
12-24-2007, 08:09 PM
i'm suprised no one has mentioned the JVC avx800, Quality looks top notch on the HU and supports divx etc. Results will be posted.

Yea, I figured it wasn't very good. Did you purchase it? I can definitly get a good deal on the AVX800...

AVSTANG02
12-24-2007, 08:18 PM
To me the newest Kenwoods and the Newest Eclipses '07 blow the Pioneer's out of the water..

the d3 is nice but nothing compared to the new Kenwood and Eclipses...

UCF52
12-24-2007, 10:42 PM
It seems like their is no definitive answer to this question. And I still have 3-4 weeks to decide, hmm....

dazza7
12-25-2007, 04:49 AM
It seems like their is no definitive answer to this question. And I still have 3-4 weeks to decide, hmm....

By weds i'll have the HU running with Diamond D661s comps, ill let you know how it sounds and functionality.

Johnnyi
12-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Haha, thanks. I will definitely do a nice build log as soon as it gets underway. I will be acquiring the car in about 3-5 weeks, so I am going to get as much homework done now so I can start buying as soon as I get the car here. Thanks again guys for all of the help and information.

Well Santa did not disappoint.... I have the 7100 in hand. Now I have to make my appointment tomorrow to get it installed. Along with a few other goodies :D

I will give you a report in the next few days to let you know how it compares to my previous system. Remember I had the AVN6600 in a previous vehicle. I will get back to you... ...to be continued!

R/T Pimp
12-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I would get the 6610. I certainly would not buy the JVC or the Kenwood.

UCF52
12-25-2007, 06:02 PM
By weds i'll have the HU running with Diamond D661s comps, ill let you know how it sounds and functionality.

That would be awesome!

Well Santa did not disappoint.... I have the 7100 in hand. Now I have to make my appointment tomorrow to get it installed. Along with a few other goodies :D

I will give you a report in the next few days to let you know how it compares to my previous system. Remember I had the AVN6600 in a previous vehicle. I will get back to you... ...to be continued!

What other goodies do you speak of? :) A comparison would be awesome as I still think the 6610 is atop my list.

I would get the 6610. I certainly would not buy the JVC or the Kenwood.

Why? Have you used any of the DD's?

Johnnyi
12-25-2007, 07:20 PM
What other goodies do you speak of? :) A comparison would be awesome as I still think the 6610 is atop my list.

amps, subs, components Kenwood. And remote start paging alarm. :D

UCF52
12-26-2007, 10:55 AM
amps, subs, components Kenwood. And remote start paging alarm. :D

mmm, nice. Be sure to throw up some pics/reviews.

Johnnyi
12-26-2007, 02:12 PM
mmm, nice. Be sure to throw up some pics/reviews.

Dropped off about 3 hours ago... :D

UCF52
12-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Dropped off about 3 hours ago... :D

Lucky bastard. :)

Johnnyi
12-27-2007, 11:32 PM
I kept adding things to the list and took a little longer for them to complete. I ended up with the Kenwood 7100 as planned. Kenwood Bluetooth, Kenwood rear view camera. ( I know the camera was totally un-needed. But sure helps to dock a trailer when you are trying to line up a loaded trailer alone. Cadence Amps ZRS7000D and ZRS1004. Image dynamic IDQv.3's Subs, Cadence CVL components, Image dynamics co'ax for the rear. And a new Compustar Alarm.

I have had only a few hours to play around with the Kenwood 7100. I have to say compared to the AVN6600 that I had previously. I give the slight advantage to the Kenwood. I really like the features, the screens for the menus, etc. I give those all major advantages over the Eclipse unit. The EQ feature on the Eclipse provides more detail to make some tweeking. But I really didnt see any disadvantage compared to the Kenwood 7100. The screen and external look of the Kenwood I'm much in favor of the Kenwood. The advantages of the 6600 over the 7100. EQ and 5v. The sound quality on the Kenwood is VERY good. Now comparing the Nav between the two. No contest. The Kenwood is hands down better. I took a few minutes to search locations that I could not find in the Eclipse... Well they are all on the Kenwood. The lookup for the address is much faster and easier to navigate. The steps to enter the city, address, etc is better organized to quickly find your address.

I didnt previously have bluetooth on the Eclipse. I didnt really think it was necessary, and to honest, it may not be. But it is so nice to setup your blue tooth phone and never remove it from your pocket. Hands free. The reception is really good. My callers could not tell I was on a speaker phone. I could also hear them loud and clear. The only thing that sux... You have to select each number from your phone book to load to the Blue tooth. But once it is done, you are good to go.

UCF52
12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
I kept adding things to the list and took a little longer for them to complete. I ended up with the Kenwood 7100 as planned. Kenwood Bluetooth, Kenwood rear view camera. ( I know the camera was totally un-needed. But sure helps to dock a trailer when you are trying to line up a loaded trailer alone. Cadence Amps ZRS7000D and ZRS1004. Image dynamic IDQv.3's Subs, Cadence CVL components, Image dynamics co'ax for the rear. And a new Compustar Alarm.

I have had only a few hours to play around with the Kenwood 7100. I have to say compared to the AVN6600 that I had previously. I give the slight advantage to the Kenwood. I really like the features, the screens for the menus, etc. I give those all major advantages over the Eclipse unit. The EQ feature on the Eclipse provides more detail to make some tweeking. But I really didnt see any disadvantage compared to the Kenwood 7100. The screen and external look of the Kenwood I'm much in favor of the Kenwood. The advantages of the 6600 over the 7100. EQ and 5v. The sound quality on the Kenwood is VERY good. Now comparing the Nav between the two. No contest. The Kenwood is hands down better. I took a few minutes to search locations that I could not find in the Eclipse... Well they are all on the Kenwood. The lookup for the address is much faster and easier to navigate. The steps to enter the city, address, etc is better organized to quickly find your address.

I didnt previously have bluetooth on the Eclipse. I didnt really think it was necessary, and to honest, it may not be. But it is so nice to setup your blue tooth phone and never remove it from your pocket. Hands free. The reception is really good. My callers could not tell I was on a speaker phone. I could also hear them loud and clear. The only thing that sux... You have to select each number from your phone book to load to the Blue tooth. But once it is done, you are good to go.

Good stuff man. Thanks. Good luck with your install!

quills
01-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Ok these all look great. Does anyone have an opinion for a nav unit that works with XM. I have a three year subscription and hate to ditch that for sirius. Thanks for any advice.

UCF52
01-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Ok these all look great. Does anyone have an opinion for a nav unit that works with XM. I have a three year subscription and hate to ditch that for sirius. Thanks for any advice.

I think most, if not all, are capable of XM. Go to Crutchfield.com and search each unit, then go to "Accessories" and see if an XM tuner box is listed.

Qbenjamin
01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
I have owned just about every Pioneer Navi they have made since 02' and I have pretty much liked them all. One of the features that you will love from Pioneer is the TELEPHONE SEARCH. This is one feature that most of the Eclipse Navi's don't have. Not to mention, most of the Eclipse Navi units come in like cartoons (Navigation Screen looks fuzzy as hell). The Eclipse units have dead-on accuracy as far as the actual navigation goes. For some reason Pioneer Navi's are sometimes very mis-leading. I would love to get all of the features that the Pioneer units have to offer in the Eclipse Navis.

Qbenjamin
01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
If I had to choose between your top two vendors, I would have to stick with Eclipse. Although Pioneer takes the cake on features and display layout, when all is said and done, the Eclipse units will get you to your location without being mis-guided.

quills
01-01-2008, 10:49 PM
I think most, if not all, are capable of XM. Go to Crutchfield.com and search each unit, then go to "Accessories" and see if an XM tuner box is listed.

just checked cruthchfoeld and the kenwood and eclipse only support sirius. that's why i posted this. I know xm and sirius are merging but they are still seperate until approved. I already paid for a 3 year xm subscription. I hate to lose that.

UCF52
01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I have owned just about every Pioneer Navi they have made since 02' and I have pretty much liked them all. One of the features that you will love from Pioneer is the TELEPHONE SEARCH. This is one feature that most of the Eclipse Navi's don't have. Not to mention, most of the Eclipse Navi units come in like cartoons (Navigation Screen looks fuzzy as hell). The Eclipse units have dead-on accuracy as far as the actual navigation goes. For some reason Pioneer Navi's are sometimes very mis-leading. I would love to get all of the features that the Pioneer units have to offer in the Eclipse Navis.

If I had to choose between your top two vendors, I would have to stick with Eclipse. Although Pioneer takes the cake on features and display layout, when all is said and done, the Eclipse units will get you to your location without being mis-guided.

I appreciate the info, but like I said before navigation is the very least of my concerns. I actually received a Garmin Nuvi as a gift, so navigation on my next HU is not desired.

just checked cruthchfoeld and the kenwood and eclipse only support sirius. that's why i posted this. I know xm and sirius are merging but they are still seperate until approved. I already paid for a 3 year xm subscription. I hate to lose that.

I talked to my Sirius rep and he told me that if the merger takes place (he said it could happen by the end of Jan) your plans will be applicable to both XM and Sirius subscriptions and you can add channels for $.25 a month. Obviously nothing is set in stone, but he seemed very confident in this information.

audioarsonal
01-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I swear I seen a xm tuner for kenwood......IIRC

Johnnyi
01-02-2008, 01:53 PM

During my research for Double Dins... I'm with you on this one... Maybe it was a typo or something, but I know at least 95% certain I saw a XM Tuner for Kenwood...?

quest51210
01-02-2008, 01:58 PM

it exists...i have one. also have a Kenwood DDX6019 with Garmin Nav for sale

Firmbiz94
02-05-2008, 04:38 PM
im in the same boat as the OP.. i cant seem to choose what i want..the difference being that i do want navigation...and i want to be able to overide the dvd lock when im driving....Im thinkin that i want the kenwood dnx7100..i like that it uses the hd for the nav and the much larger screen, but the only thing is that i dont know if i can override that dvd thing... Does anyone know if you can by simply groundin out that wire like most other units

UCF52
02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
im in the same boat as the OP.. i cant seem to choose what i want..the difference being that i do want navigation...and i want to be able to overide the dvd lock when im driving....Im thinkin that i want the kenwood dnx7100..i like that it uses the hd for the nav and the much larger screen, but the only thing is that i dont know if i can override that dvd thing... Does anyone know if you can by simply groundin out that wire like most other units

Unfortunately the OP, me, is no longer in the market. The deal on the car fell through so I am back at square one.

The nice thing about the 7100 is the Garmin navigation. Second to none IMO.

Firmbiz94
02-05-2008, 10:55 PM
yea i heard that the nav in that one is the best but the multi media part is a lil confusin..i just want to be able to play dvds while driving..i think im gonna go with that one tho...(the kenwood)

disneymike
02-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Hi jluv,
I just had the W205 installed and can't get volume or hear anything when placing a call through the Blackbird 2. The other party can hear me fine but I can't hear them, any ideas? Thanks!

That's not true. You have been given (and are now passing on) bad information.

The Blackbird is pretty advanced. You can choose between shortest (distance) and quickest (time). It has nothing to do with "popular routes". You can also maximize freeway, minimize freeway, etc. The first Blackbird was a piece, but they've worked out the bugs. The biggest problem with the second gen Blackbird is the price.

The W205 is a great head unit to START a system, but you pretty much have to add everything separately. I have just about everything you can add to it, and it's great, but very expensive. The main reason I purchased it was to use it with the H701, and everything else came later. Unless you are really going crazy, you can probably get what you're looking for for less money and without getting so many different pieces.

SRim23
02-24-2008, 01:02 AM
yea i heard that the nav in that one is the best but the multi media part is a lil confusin..i just want to be able to play dvds while driving..i think im gonna go with that one tho...(the kenwood)

bypassing and being able to play dvd while driving is easy with the ECLIPSE units btw. just ground the parking brake wire and ur good. fyi

jluv
02-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Hi jluv,
I just had the W205 installed and can't get volume or hear anything when placing a call through the Blackbird 2. The other party can hear me fine but I can't hear them, any ideas? Thanks!

I had the exact same problem the first time I installed mine. It was a simple mistake. There is a jack on the back of the 205 that fits the mic plug, but if I remember correctly, it needs to plug into a short lead that comes off the back of the unit instead. Pull the unit and look closely at the back of it and you should be able to figure it out.

Let me know if that takes care of it. Good luck!

caligirl2k
03-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Avic D3:thumbupw: