PDA

View Full Version : Taking out rear speakers...

miker
12-15-2007, 05:35 PM
would it sound good to leaves the holes open? I'm just thinking... B/c when I pull down the middle seat, it gets louder in the car... I'm just wondering, when I disconnect my rear speakers should I leave them in to block the hole or take them out?

tez4life
12-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I drive a 04 Crown Vic, and I disconnected and removed my rears when I had my 12s in the trunk. I made a big difference to me inside the car, allowed more output into the cabin.

Other people have done it and not notice a big change, so its up to you.

miker
12-15-2007, 05:43 PM
I drive a 04 Crown Vic, and I disconnected and removed my rears when I had my 12s in the trunk. I made a big difference to me inside the car, allowed more output into the cabin.

Other people have done it and not notice a big change, so its up to you.

So you are saying leaving the speakers out will either improve or do nothing? It shouldn't hurt performance?

Exploder 97
12-15-2007, 05:44 PM
i just adjusted the F-R settings and have more in the front I wouldnt take the speakers out,unless you want it to be rigged. imo.

BrianChia
12-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't think there is a definite answer. Why don't you try it both ways and see which sounds better?

miker
12-15-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't think there is a definite answer. Why don't you try it both ways and see which sounds better?

Wow, how smart you are.:D B/c really it's only takes a couple of minutes.. lol.

tez4life
12-15-2007, 05:49 PM
So you are saying leaving the speakers out will either improve or do nothing? It shouldn't hurt performance?

It may or it may not make a difference, its going to depend on the car as well as the box your using and how the subs are firing (unloading toward the rear, firing up) etc.....

I say try it and listen to see if it makes a difference to your ears, thats the only way your going to know for sure.

bonesninja
12-15-2007, 05:50 PM
i took mine out. if you are not using the rears..take them out

etc.
12-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Before going through the trouble of removing the rear speakers, see if you cant just disconnect them from underneath, to see if like the sound without them in use. If you can deal without the rear speakers, then go ahead and take them out.

I tried this just recently did this on a 97 crown vic and was very disappointed in the outcome.

I would work on box position and possibly the box its self.

Also, seeing you have a folding rear seat, have you thought of sealing off the box from the trunk and fire it into the car. I'm not sure if this would be a benefit to you, but I would like if someone would correct me or add to what I am missing.

Max_Power
12-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Before going through the trouble of removing the rear speakers, see if you cant just disconnect them from underneath, to see if like the sound without them in use. If you can deal without the rear speakers, then go ahead and take them out.

I tried this just recently did this on a 97 crown vic and was very disappointed in the outcome.

I would work on box position and possibly the box its self.

Also, seeing you have a folding rear seat, have you thought of sealing off the box from the trunk and fire it into the car. I'm not sure if this would be a benefit to you, but I would like if someone would correct me or add to what I am missing.

what was so bad about the outcome?

Jeremy M
12-16-2007, 05:39 AM
when i had my 6x9's in the back deck of my neon i got metered, seats down sealed up on teh dash doing bass race, hit 143.0

two months later did same thing with the 6x9's out and metered seats down doing bass race, i hit a 143.1

the only time i notice a diff is when my seats are up, and its i think just louder to my ear and not by that much. but that was my experience with rear fill.

IamDeMan
12-16-2007, 08:18 AM
This works great for newer GTOs. With the gas tank, rear firewall, thick leather rear seating all in the way, leaving these open makes a huge improvement on output. However a new problem arises. Fuel Pump whine. It comes through these hole clear as day. So what I did was put a layer of egg crate foam over the holes. It attenuates the high pitch whine while allowing plenty of bass to go through.

etc.
12-17-2007, 03:16 PM
what was so bad about the outcome?

With no padding and rear speakers, the road noise was traveling in to the cabin: it almost sounded as if the trunk was open.

Also with no rear speakers, to me the music didnt sound as good. Some like it that way, I'm not one of them.

:)

Crzy
12-17-2007, 04:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/crzysvgusr/Picture017.jpg

i built baffels up on mine made my rear deck stop rattling and improved output. with the rear speakers out and baffles made the spl to the feel (no mic) felt much greater