PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit Choice?

Shawn F.
12-13-2007, 08:52 PM
I have a Kenwood head unit in my vehicle with MP3, XM radio, HD radio, USB, etc etc. It's nice but I need an in dash unit with a DVD player and possibly touch screen that still looks great from the sides, great EQ settings to fine tune (I am picky about this), Navigation ready for calls (long travels or fire dept.), MP3, and inputs for maybe a game system if I plan to go that far.
I do not know much about head units because I have always gotten a plain jane one with good settings and that's it and since I own old cars I don't like them to be seen. I figured since I have an import I might as well go different and learn something because I am into hot rods and this is my first import car which I got just for the good gas milage. I have a sponsorship from Kicker so I will get a nice speaker setup in the car as well.
The price range I am looking at is 400-600 bucks if that is even realistic. This will be going into a 93 Honda Prelude 5 speed and where the CD player goes is right in front of the shifter so I need one that pops out and goes up so it sits higher and out of the way. If it wasn't like this I'd say I would go for a fixed screen flush into the console but I have to have a pop up in dash unit.
I'd appreciate any help and information on this!
Thanks!

Shawn F.
12-13-2007, 09:28 PM
How is something like this? Any good?
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18720

Shawn F.
12-16-2007, 12:17 AM
ANY suggestions at all on this?:confused:

I love bass
12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
im not familiar with the inside of your car but how high up do you need it to go? like, would it be hard to reach one that is flush and doenst pop out? the reason i ask is, when screens like that go in and out they go completely horizontal so if its right in front of the shifter it may be hard to reach or difficult to open and close.

Shawn F.
12-17-2007, 08:14 PM
It needs to go up a few inches. I don't know how to explain it. I thought the screens tilt when they come out? The ones I have seen that come out you can tilt them at whatever angle needed. A flush one COULD work but it would be very low and right in front of the shifter.

I love bass
12-19-2007, 12:43 AM
ok well its hard for me to picture but i have seen cars with a really low deck, and yeah you can tilt, but you can't really tilt it back that far if that's what you're going for, im not sure but your best bet would be to look at some in a store and seee how you like them and imagine them in your car caus thats hard for me to do online.