PDA

View Full Version : box flaring

emd2260
12-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm going to be building a ported box for my 15" Q in a few days...i was going with 3.5ft^3 @32hz...and was thinking about putting a flare in the port..this will be my first system/box so im not really sure on how to go ab out putting the flare on...
do you just cut strips out of the piece of mdf, or do you have to buy a special piece? will the flare change the tuning and/or volume of the box? thanks for anyone who responds :)

-emd

Immacomputer
12-13-2007, 11:41 AM
You can start with a scrap piece to get a feel but you basically cut about 5/8" into the wood and space them out along the curve you want. The closer you space them, the tighter the radius and the greater chance you have of breaking the wood. A 1/2" spacing between kerfs should give you a 90* bend in the wood. Google kerfing for more information.

profundus-sanus
12-13-2007, 11:59 AM
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23802
A brief tutorial.

i personally fill it with wood glue and clamp it bent until it dries..
Alot of people will then resin on the inside of the bend for added strength, although i've never had a problem.

Immacomputer
12-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I have used a 2 part epoxy in the past and it worked really well after it was clamped and dried.

emd2260
12-13-2007, 12:13 PM
thanks for the help guys!

Sanus - that tutorial really helps, i appreciate it 8)

the boxes tuning and cu.ft wont be affected by a flare will it?

profundus-sanus
12-13-2007, 12:34 PM
thanks for the help guys!

Sanus - that tutorial really helps, i appreciate it 8)

the boxes tuning and cu.ft wont be affected by a flare will it?

well, my nutshell rule of thumb is to only apply half the size of the flare as effective port length

depending on the flare size it'll take a little volume out of the vb.

mlstrass
12-13-2007, 01:44 PM
I've filled the back with bondo and that held up fine...