PDA

View Full Version : Loud off HU power?

MTXman
12-12-2007, 05:41 PM
It'll be a while before I can afford to drop some dough on a speaker amp, so I was wondering what components get loud off head unit power?

Loudness over SQ in this case. I want to retain decent SQ, but I want to be LOUD. I am going to use 6.5'' components or coaxials for my front stage and rear fill so I will be purchasing 4 of the same speaker overall.

Suggestions?

Gary S
12-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Find a good deal on coaxes so you can afford an amp.

Etac
12-12-2007, 05:51 PM
loud off HU almost shouldnt be used in the same sentence
try to find some high efficient speakers... 90db or higher
and odds are the bass will sound horrible.. you can high pass it but.. then you're gonna have no bass..

save your money - youll be happier in the long run
or just buy speakers now that wont be that loud off the HU and when you get the amp - will sound good...

mlstrass
12-12-2007, 05:52 PM
none will be LOUD off HU power.....but can look for speakers with the highest dB efficiency as they'll be louder off the same power then speakers rated lower...

MTXman
12-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Well, PG RSD65cs set has a sens rating of 88 dB, and some of the CDT's have 91. Does that automatically make the CDT's louder off head unit power and subsequently will lead to them being louder off amp power?

mlstrass
12-13-2007, 01:00 AM
not necessarily louder off amp power, depends upon how much power they can take and other factors.

I would buy speakers that will work with the amp you plan to purchase and just get by with them on HU power for now...

SilverSquared
12-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I'd never play components on a HU. Not even $35 cheapies

MTXman
12-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I ran Rainbow SLC 165 coaxials off my HU for a while, they werent bad. I know components/coaxials really shine of amp power, but I can only afford the speakers right now. So maybe CDT's?

I just want LOUD, even PA style loud.