PDA

View Full Version : Speakers blown??

ace_800
12-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Recently I was able to add an aftermarket HU to my vehicle, since the OEM one cant be replaced. When I was adjusting the amp to the speakers I noticed the rear door speakers (Diamond M361's) only have the tweeters working and they do not get loud at all. I can turn the volume up with the fader adjusted and nothing but the tweeters work, quietly, even adjusting the gain on the amp. I never really noticed it since I couldn't adjust with the OEM HU I was using.

Are they blown?

If so, should I just go with a set of decent mid range speakers back there or a set of coax or comps like the Pros that I have up front to be coax?

Etac
12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
if you run them off the HU i doubt you blew them since they arent stock paper cones.. it is possible but... maybe a lose connection?

ace_800
12-12-2007, 03:15 PM
if you run them off the HU i doubt you blew them since they arent stock paper cones.. it is possible but... maybe a lose connection?

Not running of Hu, running ~100rms to them off my PG 200.4 but the gain is set to only 1/4 if that. As I said there is sound coming from the tweeter but not the woofer.

Etac
12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
maybe you clipped the signal. sent too much power or just over rated... odd tho cause usually tweeters will blow before the woofer will (unless protected).... but if it is hooked up right and every other speaker sounds ok... it might be shot

Johnny Drama
12-12-2007, 03:51 PM
First thing I would do if find you a digital multi meter. You can get a cheap-o at walmart. This is a good investment cause you will find that you use it often in car audio.

Mesure the speakers with the ohm setting with the radio off.
Put the red on the positive of one speaker and the black on the negative (its easier if you just read them off the amp terminals. Then repeat on the otehr speaker.
Read what it says. If it isnt close to the same on both or they arent reading at all you have something messed up.

Check your wiring. make sure all wires are correctly hooked up.

Next thing...

Make sure your wired in phase. If they are out of phase you may not have both playing correctly.

Finally...if you have crossovers check the connections there. You may have them unhooked.

If none of that works...PM me and Ill see what else i think of.