PDA

View Full Version : To spray, or not to spray

Towncar
12-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Im considering getting a wet kit for my vic, just to get some more performance out of it, for a good price. I should be able to make some good power off the engine with the bottle.. Stock right now with 240+ hp, 280+lbs of torque.. Thoughts? yay or nay

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb199/mycrownvic01/engine2.jpg

SteveSkal
12-12-2007, 02:03 AM
I'd leave it alone. Not worth it

jmanpc
12-12-2007, 02:04 AM
lawl did you see the vids on youtube where guys put spray in a grand marquis?

Towncar
12-12-2007, 02:06 AM
lawl did you see the vids on youtube where guys put spray in a grand marquis?

nope

RipDaJacka
12-12-2007, 02:06 AM
negative homie, I say lift it 3in and put on 23s

fwb_1234
12-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Do it. Then spray at a stop light.

tapout
12-12-2007, 02:08 AM
no

jmanpc
12-12-2007, 02:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kwd41bx4uo

mustanggt5330
12-12-2007, 02:14 AM
the 4.6L cant handle spray very good, they have a plastic intake, spray and plastic=BAD

jmanpc
12-12-2007, 02:17 AM
the 4.6L cant handle spray very good, they have a plastic intake, spray and plastic=BAD

the did 290 rwhp on a 4.6 with a 150 shot :laugh:

Towncar
12-12-2007, 02:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kwd41bx4uo

Did I miss something? What was so bad about the vid? I was expecting to see something blow up

Towncar
12-12-2007, 02:38 AM
negative homie, I say lift it 3in and put on 23s

Nah, Will do later, right now im more focused on speed.

15nissen
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM

It does not matter if the intake is plastic. The intake will go or you may blow the heads right off the block. If a motor is not made / set up for spray, do not do it. We build motors for spray, and lots of it. Those 50 shot kits are useless and can only lead to trouble.

93 saturn sl2
12-13-2007, 01:30 PM

It can take a 100 shot no problem as long as you don't backfire.

Towncar
12-13-2007, 01:32 PM
I was thinking of a 75 shot. I wouldnt be driving fast every single time I step in the car, but I would be mainly using it every now and then, when i want to go a little faster. With a 75 shot using it very spairingly, I whouldnt have any reliability issues. Or so I would think.

jesse59672
12-13-2007, 01:38 PM
you bought the wrong car for doing that ****.

mlstrass
12-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Spray it and have fun. I've run that **** on most cars I've owned and NEVER had a problem. Just don't go crazy HP wise and you'll be fine. 75-100 should be about right and add plenty of torque to get that big car moving. How is the tranny in that car?

Towncar
12-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Spray it and have fun. I've run that **** on most cars I've owned and NEVER had a problem. Just don't go crazy HP wise and you'll be fine. 75-100 should be about right and add plenty of torque to get that big car moving. How is the tranny in that car?

I have a few budies that own a shop, that can tune my engine more for better results out of the spray. as for my tranny, it runs great. The car runs flawless.

Towncar
12-13-2007, 01:49 PM
you bought the wrong car for doing that ****.

Why is that? My engine can be tuned, on a side note, its the same motor as the mustang gt...

93 saturn sl2
12-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Why is that? My engine can be tuned, on a side note, its the same motor as the mustang gt...

Technically he's right. Sure you can make the crown vic a quicker car, but its gonna take alot of money. But it will be a fun car to **** around with people with the nitrous.

audiobahnuser18
12-13-2007, 02:24 PM
NOS on that car = Waste of $$$

LoudCrownVic
12-13-2007, 02:34 PM
I say do it. If you want to spend the money on that nitrous is the cheapest way to get ponies that I found that is out there, from my research when I had my Vic. Look out though, there are several weak points on Vic's specifically that you should look out for:

The rear full floating rear C-Clips will come undone with high torque loads of 450-500ft lbs... and you end up with your axles coming out the side of your car.

The crankshafts and bottom ends of the motors tend to be a weak point when you start slapping on ponies... Be warned that they are known to break.

If I still had my Crown Vic, I'd add Nitrous and some higher gears. I think the Vics have really low ratio rear ends like 3.11 and a switch to a 3.73 or a 4.11 or whatever will help get the car moving off the line. A limited slip rear end would also be a great way to help in the snow and for traction at the stoplights. I know nothing about nitrous but I am sure it will help and hell if I had the money and my Vic still I'd be putting that bish on there.

J31Rob
12-13-2007, 02:38 PM
NOS on that car = Waste of $$$

You thinking NOS is what Nitrous is called = GTFO.

THUNDERBIRD
12-13-2007, 05:10 PM

yes they do crack and depending on the year there is a TSB out. my uncle has one and his broke and ford replaced it paid for his hotel and food. he know has a aluminum intake.

93 saturn sl2
12-13-2007, 08:27 PM
yes they do crack and depending on the year there is a TSB out. my uncle has one and his broke and ford replaced it paid for his hotel and food. he know has a aluminum intake.

aluminum :confused: The crossover is what cracks on the plastic intake manifolds. Ford gives you another plastic IM, but it has an aluminum crossover to stop it from cracking again.

Alpine CDA-9815
12-14-2007, 02:18 AM
My intake is plastic and I'm spraying 150-175 shot. Look at all the motors that use plastic intakes and people spray and boost on them. Plastic is fine.

I say go for it, but be safe... window switch, fuel cut off, etc.

Ignatowski
12-14-2007, 07:40 AM
I would........

bigbangtheory
12-16-2007, 09:48 AM
I don't know mang. I mean I see you want to save money, but I would save and maybe hit up a supercharger for it.

I had a garrets on my Thunderbird and with other mods to it and was doing 12's with it. Right around 3k though, so I understand wanting to do it cheap, but your ride is all stock? I wouldn't do it, but then again i think there was some kid with a Saturn on stock with spray, lol!

gl0ck
12-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I sprayed my tC before its death by a deer, loved every moment of it especially in vvti. I Say Do IT!

Ferendon
12-21-2007, 02:47 AM
Nah, Will do later, right now im more focused on speed.
Wrong car homie.

It does not matter if the intake is plastic. The intake will go or you may blow the heads right off the block. If a motor is not made / set up for spray, do not do it. We build motors for spray, and lots of it. Those 50 shot kits are useless and can only lead to trouble.

50 shots can wake up a car quite a bit. I don't know where you work, but saying a 50 shot is a waste, is an uninformed statement. On a ****ing Vic it won't do ****, but strap a 50 shot in a civic and tell me it doesn't make a difference. The kind of car I have is known to reliably take a 100 shot, with no tuning, and last tens of thousands of miles that way, if not hundreds of thousands, with regular use of the spray. If you've got the fuel for it, and the proper plugs, you should be ok with a small shot. Most cars can't take a 100 shot with no tuning, but I don't see a 50 or 75 shot giving you any trouble, if you treat it right.

Towncar
12-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Wrong car homie.

50 shots can wake up a car quite a bit. I don't know where you work, but saying a 50 shot is a waste, is an uninformed statement. On a ****ing Vic it won't do ****, but strap a 50 shot in a civic and tell me it doesn't make a difference. The kind of car I have is known to reliably take a 100 shot, with no tuning, and last tens of thousands of miles that way, if not hundreds of thousands, with regular use of the spray. If you've got the fuel for it, and the proper plugs, you should be ok with a small shot. Most cars can't take a 100 shot with no tuning, but I don't see a 50 or 75 shot giving you any trouble, if you treat it right.

How is this the wrong car for speed. You can make any car fast. Their are plenty of vics in the 11s, and 12s fyi...

Ferendon
12-28-2007, 02:46 AM
I drive a Taurus SHO. I know plenty about making a boat fast. I don't doubt it can be fast. I've seen Marauders, which are of similar design, rip off 10s. I've seen Thunderbirds, which share a similar motor, and structural design, do the same. I don't doubt the ability of a boat to be fast, you're just fighting an uphill battle. A very heavy car, with limited suspension capabilities (without fabrication, at least), gobs of body roll, and suspension geometry not fit for going fast. I've got no hate for the idea, but making a boat fast is an uphill battle. Making any car fast is an uphill battle. You're just a lot further down the hill than most people.

DTPnU
12-30-2007, 06:58 PM
One, a wet kit is not very good to put on any car. Direct port is the only way to go since I doubt you have any forged internals. Two, nitrous is a last effort hp kind of deal. If you dont have enough hp from F/I, cam, heads, etc then you should get nitrous. Again, if you do get it, get a direct port kit, not a dry or wet one.

atoz350
12-31-2007, 12:08 AM
Hey if you are considering this, I have a wet kit for sale in the miscellaneous fourm. It's a Holley NOS wet kit. Its universal so you can use it. I'm asking $350 for it and it is brand new, never used. This kit goes for $475 if you buy it retail.

Towncar
01-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I drive a Taurus SHO. I know plenty about making a boat fast. I don't doubt it can be fast. I've seen Marauders, which are of similar design, rip off 10s. I've seen Thunderbirds, which share a similar motor, and structural design, do the same. I don't doubt the ability of a boat to be fast, you're just fighting an uphill battle. A very heavy car, with limited suspension capabilities (without fabrication, at least), gobs of body roll, and suspension geometry not fit for going fast. I've got no hate for the idea, but making a boat fast is an uphill battle. Making any car fast is an uphill battle. You're just a lot further down the hill than most people.

It depends on what kind of car we are talking about that dictates if I am further down the hole at making the car faster or not. Granted my car is heavy (3900lbs) it has a bigger engine that has more potential than many cars out. 280lbs of torque is pretty decent, not to mention its a 4.6 v8, which gives it more potential over a v6 of equal power.. Anyways I like my chances, as ive beat a few cars stock, and have hung with cars that I thought should have killed me. Going from a roll is this cars strong point. I am not calling it a real fast car by any means, but it has potential.

Ferendon
01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Same thing with my car. I can take 07 GTs from a roll, as well as 350z/G35s, and lots of other cars that are rated to have a lot more power than me. I can hang with mild LS1s, and beat LT1s. All with my "220 hp, FWD Sedan". Fortunately I have over 220 ft/lbs wtq, with a tq peak at just under 2400 rpm, and a torque 'curve' like a 12 year old boy's chest. Most of the cars that have more power than me, only have more power for about 1000 rpm.

Towncar
01-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Even going from a dig, I have been able to walk down many cars that I didnt think I had a chance with.. Either way, I love my cv.

Ferendon
01-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Yeah... my car ***** from a dig. It's a ****ing freeway screamer though.

My favorite bragging story is funny, but total bullshit lol. I beat a 6.x second Monte Carlo on the freeway once. The bullshit part is, it's a purpose built 1/8th mile car, with some retarted gears in the rear end, and a top speed of like 115 (IIRC 4.90s, and a Muncie 4-speed)... And we went from like a 90 punch. Total bullshit race, but it impresses the **** out of punk *** kids in their civics and 240s.