PDA

View Full Version : RE MT 18 Box ideas

twisztdauthorit
12-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Aight so im tired of seeing this beast of a sub sit around and do nothing..
My only problem is i don't have any $ to get a nice amp and power source.

So anyways i got some wood today with a friend and figured id make a sealed box for the 18".

2 possible power sources:

HT : 110 watts (i think its at 8 ohms so i would get more running this at dual 2 series)
Car amp: I can rig up some power supplies to a car amp i have and feed the sub 300 watts to one coil.

yeah im so cheap i cant afford more power but boo hoo for me right now.

So my question is, Would it be worth it, even if its only running of low wattage temporarily. And more importantly, what size box for a sealed 18 re mt?

mazdakid
12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
its not worth it and dont waste your time sealing it

ContourSPL
12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I remember a guy from Termpro who ran an 18" MT sealed. Just a daily driver setup, I believe he was in the low 150 on the TL. I would say if you're going to build an enclosure for it, you might as well make it the one that you are actually going to use instead of using the wood for a temporary box.

twisztdauthorit
12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
This is most likely not gonna be in my car untill i can get 2-3k watts to throw at it.
But untill then it will be my HomeTheatre sub.

Lowes ran out of mdf so we went with some nice grade 3/4" plywood. Seems light and sturdy, prolly not the best and cost 31$ a sheet.

Anyways, i think ima make a 7 cube box for it. Does that sound to small?
This is mainly because i wanna experiment with a sealed box and do somethin with my sub on a budget.

is 7 cubes big enough?

bumpin buick
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
7cubes seems a little to big for a sealed.

twisztdauthorit
12-11-2007, 06:46 PM
for an 18? ive heard of people doing 8 cubes before... maybe that was ported im not sure.

it would be 24x24x24 with a **** load of bracing double baffle and possibly fiber fill to kill all the standing waves inside the box.
So all that plus displacement would end up in less final volume.

Immacomputer
12-11-2007, 09:28 PM
for an 18?

Enclosure volume has very little to do with cone area.

That sub will be terrible sealed for home theater purposes, especially with that little bit of power. You really should port it so it can at least be a little more efficient off of that power.

twisztdauthorit
12-11-2007, 10:20 PM
It will be getting more power later on... the power source is temporary

iamamp3pimp
12-12-2007, 08:28 AM
sell thesub, get an amp and a sub that you can afford.

Immacomputer
12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
It will be getting more power later on... the power source is temporary

That doesn't change that the MT will sound like *** sealed.

twisztdauthorit
12-12-2007, 02:58 PM
um... no i wont sell the sub(even though have 300+ dollars would be nice).

you guys are missing the point. Im not expecting 150 dbs out of this. Its temporary just so i can have something a little louder then the 10" in my room right now. If it sounds nice off 2-3k watt when i get an amp... ill prolly still build another box(ported).

I haven't done any car **** in a while so i really wanna do this but im confined to 1 sheet of wood so a big *** ported box wont work. (although i have a bunch of 5" piping)

Im not really planning on this being a major project, just something i can sharpen up my skills, use for a little bit. Then possibly sell for a little profit. Now u got my thinking on ported....