PDA

View Full Version : Alpine CDA-9887 = Crank Up Gains?

Alpine CDA-9815
12-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Well I noticed when I installed the 9887 that the output of the sub was WAY less than when I had the amp hooked up to a LOC off the factory HU. Which to me is a little weird, I've had to crank up the gains pretty good just to match what it did off the LOC. Anyone else have this issue?

bass_lover1
12-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Did you adjust the sub level on the unit it self?

djeazie
12-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Did you set gains correctly?

ultimate157
12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. The RCA output of a headunit will have a much lower voltage than an LOC will provide.

Set your gains correctly and that should fix the problem.

aeon
12-10-2007, 10:35 PM
i notice this also and my mid bass seemed like there was hardly any at all. after a little tuning, i got the sub and mid bass to come back, but the mid bass wasn't like how it was with the stock unit.

Alpine CDA-9815
12-11-2007, 02:50 AM
Makes perfect sense to me. The RCA output of a headunit will have a much lower voltage than an LOC will provide.

Set your gains correctly and that should fix the problem.
Just making sure it was normal. Gains are set right and everything is as it was, just thought it was a little strange.

IamDeMan
12-11-2007, 04:35 AM
Did you set gains correctly?
X2, were they set correctly when you used a LOC? It isn't a volume knob.

vehementSPL
12-11-2007, 05:02 AM
I know my LOC only puts out 1 volt tested with meter per rca on test tones

Alpine CDA-9815
12-11-2007, 09:23 PM
X2, were they set correctly when you used a LOC? It isn't a volume knob.
Yes.

ultimate157
12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
I know my LOC only puts out 1 volt tested with meter per rca on test tones

at what volume? output voltage is dependent on volume

blazeplacid
12-12-2007, 06:00 PM
same happened with me and my switch from an Eclipse to a Pioneer
The Eclipse has igher preouts but I lost all my mids and sub.

The Pioneer came in and I had to set my gains way lower.

Eclipse = 5 volts
Pioneer = 2.2 volts

so im in the same boat as you. I dont undersand it.

I used a DMM and everything.

ultimate157
12-12-2007, 11:17 PM
same happened with me and my switch from an Eclipse to a Pioneer
The Eclipse has igher preouts but I lost all my mids and sub.

The Pioneer came in and I had to set my gains way lower.

Eclipse = 5 volts
Pioneer = 2.2 volts

so im in the same boat as you. I dont undersand it.

I used a DMM and everything.

do you mean higher? A 2.2v input voltage will require a higher gain than a 5v input to achieve the same output voltage.

Fiercetimbo17
12-12-2007, 11:57 PM
do you mean higher? A 2.2v input voltage will require a higher gain than a 5v input to achieve the same output voltage.

Thats what i think he is saying, that is the way its supposed to work but it was the opposite

Ptown_TSxxx
12-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Should mean higher, the sound proccess between some deck are different also. On the Pioneer with 6v still sounded weak without the bbe on but with it on too much sounded like crap, but I like the bbe better than the mx though, which I do don't turn on at all. I hate sound boosters.

Alpine CDA-9815
12-13-2007, 02:47 AM
I've read about Alpine having some weak preouts even though they are 4v on the 9887. Overall I just find it strange, I still think the LOC got louder but I guess it could all just be in my head.

Gains were set at volume 30 out of 35, everything (EQ/sub ) was set to 0 when it was tuned with a 50Hz sine wave. I can't find my voltmeter so I just been doing it by ear.

whitemax
12-13-2007, 03:22 AM
Should mean higher, the sound proccess between some deck are different also. On the Pioneer with 6v still sounded weak without the bbe on but with it on too much sounded like crap, but I like the bbe better than the mx though, which I do don't turn on at all. I hate sound boosters.

I think BBE actually makes music sound good. I can't say the same for Alpine's MediaXpander function.

blazeplacid
12-13-2007, 11:12 AM
lower as in closer to the min than the max.
The amp can handle 8 volt in and the gain was pretty close to the 8 with the Pioneer and further with the Eclipse(which was set on about 5volts)

Ptown_TSxxx
12-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I think the BBE makes the music sounds better, but I keep it on around -3 or -2 on the deck.

adam71
12-15-2007, 06:07 AM

I agree with you and I'm just glad they're ALL defeatable. What would scare me is a deck that didn't sound good with them turned off.

adam71
12-15-2007, 06:08 AM
I've read about Alpine having some weak preouts even though they are 4v on the 9887. Overall I just find it strange, I still think the LOC got louder but I guess it could all just be in my head.

Gains were set at volume 30 out of 35, everything (EQ/sub ) was set to 0 when it was tuned with a 50Hz sine wave. I can't find my voltmeter so I just been doing it by ear.

Also, don't forget that a cleaner, more accurate sound system is less fatiguing on the ears and will ALWAYS seem quieter.

adam71
12-15-2007, 06:14 AM
I think BBE actually makes music sound good. I can't say the same for Alpine's MediaXpander function.

Yeah, I think the BBE makes the music sounds better, but I keep it on around -3 or -2 on the deck.

What you also have to take into account is NOT all bbe processors are created equal. The goal and principle are all the same but "manufacturer A" may not spend as much money and time on the implementation of the bbe processing into their headunit as say "manufacturer B" did.

So one person who owns an Alpine may love bbe while say a guy with a Pioneer may hate it. Of course, there are times when the user just doesn't know how to tune his system and in that case any processing is going to sound like ***.

Ignatowski
12-15-2007, 06:29 AM
I had a similar but opposite situation when switching from alpine to excelon.....
I was happily surprised how much louder my **** was

adam71
12-15-2007, 06:35 AM
I had a similar but opposite situation when switching from alpine to excelon.....
I was happily surprised how much louder my **** was

Did it sound better too or just louder??

Alpine CDA-9815
12-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Also, don't forget that a cleaner, more accurate sound system is less fatiguing on the ears and will ALWAYS seem quieter.
I'm actually liking the more quiet system. Everything is blending in pretty nicely, keeping everything pretty flat and to me it sounds pretty good. Then if needed be it can still get decently loud.

adam71
12-15-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm actually liking the more quiet system. Everything is blending in pretty nicely, keeping everything pretty flat and to me it sounds pretty good. Then if needed be it can still get decently loud.

Thats the goal for a SQ guy. SQ #1 with the ability for decent volume.