PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work with the Monsoon system in Camaros?

bholtmeier
12-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Well it basically comes down to this, i want to replace the speakers in my Camaro, but the fact that they use seperate amps and the wiring makes it difficult. i want to be able to just basically plug and play, i don't want to do a lot of wiring/mounting to get it to work. I don't want a fancy component set that will require a seperate amp to power, i had a set of Polk MMC6500 in my old camaro off a Kicker Kx 450.2, and they sounded awesome. But i don't want to wire this car up for amps, etc. I just need some speakers that i can directly replace the stock speakers in the front, and will work will with Hu power (20wrms or so). I'd like to still use the stock mid/rear speakers though. If you have any suggestions of what i should do, let me know. I'm proably just going to go with a set of Pioneer Rev coaxials and one of the 9883 Alpine HU's. If i could avoid running new wires from the Hu to the speakers that would be great, but wouldn't be a problem if it had to be done.

casper97ta
12-10-2007, 04:42 PM
You can buy all the harnesses' you need to replace the headunit. Since you dont want to install any more amps, coaxials are a good choice. You may even think about going to crutchfield. It would be easy to purchase all the speakers and harnesses' at one time plus get the benefit of having some customer support if you need it.

bholtmeier
12-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I understand how to Install the Hu, and i know i need coaxial's, but with the stock wiring i have you can' just plug in the negative and positive and get it to work. there is actually 4 wires, 2 for the tweeter and 2 for the woofer. most coaxial's don't have seperate wires for the tweeter and the woofer, but i did run across a set over on Ls1tech that actually has seperate wires for both.....someone chime in that has a clue what i'm talking about.

casper97ta
12-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I understand how to Install the Hu, and i know i need coaxial's, but with the stock wiring i have you can' just plug in the negative and positive and get it to work. there is actually 4 wires, 2 for the tweeter and 2 for the woofer. most coaxial's don't have seperate wires for the tweeter and the woofer, but i did run across a set over on Ls1tech that actually has seperate wires for both.....someone chime in that has a clue what i'm talking about.

I've never had a problem getting coaxials or seperates for that matter to work with the monsoon. I did them in a 98 T/A and a Z28. I also had an older set of MB quart coaxials that had 4 terminals on each one. You can try CZ28.com too.

Anniku989
12-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Most coax speaker's I've seen just have the mid/tweet wires soldered to the same terminal, with a bass blocker device inline with the tweeter leads. I'm sure you could just clip the tweeter leads off of the terminals, and put some crimp connections onto them for the other set of wires. Dunno if that will work or not, just an idea...

frzninvt
12-11-2007, 07:58 AM
The Monsoon system is an active one where the highs and lows (front and rear) are fed actively from the amp - there will be 16 speaker leads coming from the amp all sending a specific frequency range to the appropriate drivers.

You will need bi-ampable speakers to use the stock Monsoon amplifier, you will need to remove any capacitors or passive networks from the replacement speakers and feed the wires from the amp directly to the tweeters and woofers.

Easier to NOT use the amp and use an outboard amp, the deck in that system is also sometimes not replaceable since vehicle information passes through it. I had to get a special harness that kept the stock head unit in the rear of the car so that I could use an aftermarket head unit in the dash of my 2001 Grand Am GT that had the Monsoon system. Then I started having trouble with relays under the hood going bad, good luck!

mdillon
12-11-2007, 08:35 AM
some co ax have the speaker wire for the tweet going through the driver voice coil then ran underneath a sticker on the rear of the magnet to the leads. you should be able to connect these to the tweeter connections

bholtmeier
12-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah, basically i need to find a coax speaker that has tweeter wires exposed so i can tap into them easily. Has anyone used Powerbass speakers? What about the alpine type S coaxials? Both of these i know have tweeter wires exposed pretty well..not sure about sound quality though..

Anniku989
12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
I've got the '06 (pretty sure, if not, they're the '05) Alpine Type S 5.25" coax's in my grand am (non-monsoon though) and they sound great, very clear and loud for a small speaker. Check sig for more pics