PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow SLC 265, Just no MID-Bass what-so-ever. (?)

Nexson
12-09-2007, 09:49 PM
After about a year, I think i have come to the realizatiion that my Rainbow SLC 265's really have no midbass, I have tried every type of tuning on the 300/4, but I just can't seem to squeeze anything out of them. I espeically noticed today when my woofers went out while I was driving and I was left with just the interior speakers, and there is NO midbass lol.

Does anyone else with SLC's agree?

I think it is time to change it up, I want to keep the rainbow tweeter because I love the way it mounts n sounds in my car, and I have the rainbow crossover already mounted. So I would like to just replace the speaker with a nice speaker with the same clarity as the SLC but with some mid's. Any recommandations?

****! lol

Exploder 97
12-09-2007, 09:51 PM
do you have your hpf turnd off?

ls2poweredgoat
12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I was about to order a pair. I am running a 300/2 for my comp amp too....

Nexson
12-09-2007, 09:56 PM
do you have your hpf turnd off?

I have it set on the HPF set at 110

kmanian
12-09-2007, 09:57 PM
something has to be wrong

jmanpc
12-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Try 80hz

and you're using an HPF ;)

Nexson
12-09-2007, 10:05 PM
my bad it was on HPF, and i set it to 80, no difference

jmanpc
12-09-2007, 10:22 PM
This is why I don't understand the Rainbow boner.

Trey803
12-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Mine have extreme mid bass

Trey803
12-09-2007, 10:28 PM
did u check the polarity of the woofer

dvrmstrng
12-09-2007, 10:31 PM
i have profi vanadium phase plugs and am far from thrilled with the midbass...

Trey803
12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
i think mid bass of a woofer has mostly to do with the install

Nexson
12-09-2007, 10:52 PM
For the install, I have a 3/4 mdf spacer with non hardening clay along with a sound deadened inner and outter panel of the door along with sheetmetal sealing the holes.

tapout
12-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Standard or Kick version? Kicks are suppose to have more midbass.

screwthesavage
12-09-2007, 11:02 PM
With speakers its best to hear them yourself before you buy them. As it seems to appear, people have different ideas of strong midbass.

jmanpc
12-09-2007, 11:04 PM
My midbasses can easily pass as a 10" sub. i like midbass.

Audio Master
12-09-2007, 11:11 PM
My midbasses can easily pass as a 10" sub. i like midbass.

slight exageration perhaps maybe an 8" on midbass mate they arent that good a speaker i would have chossen about ten others for midbass and tweets over those but thats my opinion and its worth a coffe and a smoke like everyone elses its all to do with personeel taste

personelly if want super mid bass i think the only way is 3 ways using 8" kicks 6" doors and 1" tweets at the A piller but thats me
or spend a bit more on a top shelf set of splits and just use them in everyday passive mode as they were intended have then tuned well and then youll be fine

i have 2 way splits and my mid bass is exceptional i have dash mounted tweets in a forward position not greates also an A piller tweet and a kick 6" and a door 6" its a plain ol passive 2 sets of 2ways but thaey are very good custom componets

konechiwa
12-09-2007, 11:18 PM
After about a year, I think i have come to the realizatiion that my Rainbow SLC 265's really have no midbass, I have tried every type of tuning on the 300/4, but I just can't seem to squeeze anything out of them. I espeically noticed today when my woofers went out while I was driving and I was left with just the interior speakers, and there is NO midbass lol.

Does anyone else with SLC's agree?

I think it is time to change it up, I want to keep the rainbow tweeter because I love the way it mounts n sounds in my car, and I have the rainbow crossover already mounted. So I would like to just replace the speaker with a nice speaker with the same clarity as the SLC but with some mid's. Any recommandations?

****! lol

to be honest... i have the kicks...and i don't know why or how anymore. To be honest.

Back when i first got them, I had them hooked up (just kinda hanging in there). They were screwed into the door, door panel off, no deadening, no nothing. I had hooked them up to a old profile refurb (which in fact destroyed a crossover, having me to wait 4 months for the absolutely ****** service rainbow gives to there customers) and it was amazing. I didn't want a sub. I played "sweet escape" by gwen stefani and akon and it kicked ***.

flash forward to now....Not impressed. Running them off a us amps xt1600.4 (supposedly 100 watts) and they do not pound. they just don't have that amazing punch they did originally. I have them semi-sealed with clay all behind and around the 3/4 mdf adapter then in. I have 2 layers of damplifier and 2 layers of overkill on the doors. And it just isn't...amazing.

Maybe i'll flip the phase on them. I've re-wired them so many times maybe, just maybe i f'd it up.

The tweeters=love.

the woofers however leave something to be desired.

I don't have any money for another install though so i'm stuck.

carguy83
12-09-2007, 11:40 PM
odd. my SLC's when i had them had PLENTY of midbass. i crossed them at 60 hz.

Trey803
12-09-2007, 11:43 PM
do you have a xover on the cd player and amplifier? Make sure your only using one of them

Etac
12-09-2007, 11:50 PM
i have the cmx kicks which i assume are similar - set witih an 80 hpf they pound... i would like to set it lower but dont wanna hurt anything plus im running a decent amount of power to them... i had a bad peak in the 2-4k range and once i tuned that it allowed the mids to stand out so much more... i havent sealed my doors yet cause its winter plus i was poor for a little bit poor - but the plastic on the inside and the door panels themselves vibrate like crazy and on certain songs can feel my pants moving... lol

and remember - midbass isnt "sub" bass

Nexson
12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I am running JL cleansweep off the stock Hu and have the x-over hooked up through the amp. Maybe if there is any sort of tuning that i can do to get something out of these, because the presence of midbass is just absent.

Etac
12-10-2007, 12:00 AM
try what i said - if possible

eq the 1-4k range a little (esp 2.5 if you can) and see if that helps - it might not sound as loud at the "same" volume but the mids should stand out more and should sound a lot smoother - lower the hpf a little if you still got it at 110

kmanian
12-10-2007, 12:08 AM
I put the same slc's in my wifes Sequoia and they do great, they are in the stock openings with no dynamat... They are running down to 80 then a single 10W3 sealed takes over. they actually sound fairly seamless. I was and still am very impressed with them for the price. Either you have a screwed up pair, or an install issue

Nexson
12-10-2007, 11:07 AM
try what i said - if possible

eq the 1-4k range a little (esp 2.5 if you can) and see if that helps - it might not sound as loud at the "same" volume but the mids should stand out more and should sound a lot smoother - lower the hpf a little if you still got it at 110

hey sorry, I am a bit confused, can you explain again what i should do. I dont understand some abb.

Hayabusa
12-10-2007, 01:46 PM
If you want a assload of midbass @ 50hz on up pep my sig replace the SLCs with those... :-D

ENDER_XVICM
12-11-2007, 08:17 AM
I havent had any problems with my SLC 365s, teriffic midbass in a good install. Did you deaden your do, make a baffle and all that good ****?

ramos
12-11-2007, 08:22 AM
My little tiny slc 5 1/4"s in the kicks have made several people look for the midbasses in the doors. Somethings not right with your setup or installation somewhere along the lines. :)

Nexson
12-11-2007, 11:31 AM
I guess I need an expert tuner or something

chibahawk
04-08-2008, 08:01 PM
ive got the slc 265 kicks bass version. if your saying no midbass at all and saying **** like that about rainbow then somethings wrong with the driver or the install.

filtor1
04-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I have installed 10+ sets of SLC's including 1 of the new sets I have had nothing but great midbass output. All of them were amped between 60 and 200 watts. Never had anyone say they lacked midbass. Something is definitely wrong.

nismos14
04-09-2008, 03:18 PM
ive got the slc 265 kicks bass version. if your saying no midbass at all and saying **** like that about rainbow then somethings wrong with the driver or the install.

I'm sure OP is over it after 5 months. :rolleyes::D

filtor1
04-09-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm sure OP is over it after 5 months. :rolleyes::D

Wheres a good dead horse smiley when you need it. I didn't even look at the date. :(

nismos14
04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
lol It happens.

Safe_Cracker
04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Wheres a good dead horse smiley when you need it. I didn't even look at the date. :(

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/Master_Safe_Cracker/201785.gif

That is hillarious^^! I think people put to much of an emphesis (sp) on sealing the door up, this is good for road noise/rattles but has little effect on mid performance. A mid is a speaker, just like any other and requires a proper enclosure in order to capture enough of the back wave to create MID bass. Most car makers use the inside of the door as a chamber but IMHO it is to large. Anyone try making little fiberglass inner door pods to get the mid out of the door? This is probably the reason why good built, sealed kicks produce more.... Polo.

Fast1one
04-10-2008, 01:23 PM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/Master_Safe_Cracker/201785.gif

That is hillarious^^! I think people put to much of an emphesis (sp) on sealing the door up, this is good for road noise/rattles but has little effect on mid performance. A mid is a speaker, just like any other and requires a proper enclosure in order to capture enough of the back wave to create MID bass. Most car makers use the inside of the door as a chamber but IMHO it is to large. Anyone try making little fiberglass inner door pods to get the mid out of the door? This is probably the reason why good built, sealed kicks produce more.... Polo.That is a HUGE generalization that is dependent on the speaker on hand and the door...

As long as the speaker has a fairly high QTS (.6 ATLEAST) and a low VAS, it will do marvelously in a car door.

All you have to do is seal the back wave form the front wave as well as possible. This is achieved not only with deadener, but BARRIER products like MLV (mass loaded vinyl) and acoustic foam...

Its not infinite baffle in a traditional sense (because the door air space is pretty small), but it works fairly well if done properly...

Safe_Cracker
04-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Generalization or not in every situation where I have installed components it has almost always yielded a gain from 80hz to around 500hz, after that it becomes more directional and relies more on front wave separation. It doesn't take much work to make a fiberglass asshat and add a little poly to make it sound better, overal responce is improved dramatically. JMHO. Polo.

Fast1one
04-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Generalization or not in every situation where I have installed components it has almost always yielded a gain from 80hz to around 500hz, after that it becomes more directional and relies more on front wave separation. It doesn't take much work to make a fiberglass asshat and add a little poly to make it sound better, overal responce is improved dramatically. JMHO. Polo.I have experienced the opposite sweet cakes, no need for name calling...

Not to mention you get more extension out of doors....which really helps when you want to blend everything together...don't try to prove me wrong, no one is right here, its called PREFERENCE...so don't make sloppy conclusions about your experiences...

nismos14
04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
I have experienced the opposite sweet cakes, no need for name calling...

Not to mention you get more extension out of doors....which really helps when you want to blend everything together...don't try to prove me wrong, no one is right here, its called PREFERENCE...so don't make sloppy conclusions about your experiences...

I don't thnk he was calling names, I am pretty sure he was calling the speaker fiberglass enclosure a literal "asshat" LOL.

nismos14
04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
You're both wrong :fyi:

Fast1one
04-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't thnk he was calling names, I am pretty sure he was calling the speaker fiberglass enclosure a literal "asshat" LOL.Lawl! Maybe...

You're both wrong :fyi:Your a newbx cube, your opinion doesn't count

:fyi:

filtor1
04-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Ok Ok. No need for the name calling BS. We can disagree on design/application philosophy and not act like we are 16 years old.

We have all had experience with different levels of build quality in products, that we were or were not aware of upon installation, that 100% effected the results of installation. tuning, and overall results.

nismos14
04-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I > You, so I win.

Trey803
04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
like I said before my slc have great midbass that blends perfectly with my subwoofer....I was stoned last night playing sublime and was amazed at the midbass

Fast1one
04-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Ok Ok. No need for the name calling BS. We can disagree on design/application philosophy and not act like we are 16 years old.

We have all had experience with different levels of build quality in products, that we were or were not aware of upon installation, that 100% effected the results of installation. tuning, and overall results.Apparently there was no name calling, the door pod is called "asshat" :D

I > You, so I win.On what grounds? Foooo...

Trey803
04-10-2008, 02:40 PM
what kind of music are you listening too? Rap for the most par has no midbass......lay some sublime 40oz to freedom somthin like that

Fast1one
04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
what kind of music are you listening too? Rap for the most par has no midbass......lay some sublime 40oz to freedom somthin like thatThis is an old thread mang....

+1 on sublime, 40oz FTW!!!

filtor1
04-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Apparently there was no name calling, the door pod is called "asshat" :D

On what grounds? Foooo...

Indeed.

He must just be the winner? :confused: :D