PDA

View Full Version : Any CDT Experts?

vanburen
12-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm running CDT EF-61CF components in the front. They sound ok ( i was expecting more) but i'm looking for something that has more of a natural feel to it. I need to stick in the CDT's because i get amazing prices and it's an exchange anyway. What would you guys suggest? I listen to alot of classic rock, rock, hard rock with some hip hop/r&b. I just switched my amps to JL (500/1 for my sub and 300/4 for my components bridged).

I find that I get alot of resonance with the 61cf's. It could be my ****** amp i was running before but it bothers me a BUNCH!

revots
12-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Far from considering myself as an expert, but are your doors properly deadened? I have the CL-62 W/ upgraded crossovers and tweets and I love the sound of them.

vanburen
12-09-2007, 08:54 PM
The resonance is coming from the tweeters which are mounted on the dash (under the dash board, stock placement). It is really driving me nuts. I played with the xover frequency, my eq, polarity etc etc..i do have a feeling it's the placement or the amp.

revots
12-09-2007, 08:56 PM
I would start with the amp since you planned to anyways. If that doesn't work try the placement. I could see why they might resonate in that location.

Johnny Drama
12-10-2007, 09:54 AM
If you are having resonance do you have silk or metal tweets?

Silk it could be as simple as a tuning issue.
Metal, may be the way they sound and could also possibly be tuned.

As far as CDT. Ive owned 2 sets and had my hands on 3 or 4 more.
My favs would have to be the HD set. Handle the power just fine and the midbass is nice. Also the 1" sild tweets in that set are still to this day in my truck.

exige
12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm a CDT dealer (filling in where DJDilliodon left off). I'd suggest something from the HD line. Again though, make sure your install is top notch. Get everything set to where it needs to be. 3/4 of the time that people don't like their system with CDT components, they've fvcked up the install big time. Once i go back and redo a few things, it's a whole new car and there's no issues at all.

What crossover are you running? If it's something in the 400 series, I would suggest trying a 560 before you change the speakers out. Lower crossover point does improve the sound all around quite a bit.

Otherwise, HD is where to look. You might want to have a look at an M6 or M6+ if you enjoy feelin' the song a lil bit. You'll feel each drum kick in your chest just as much as you'll hear it. My best way to describe that midbass speaker is: intoxicating.

Besides that, get yourself a DRT-26 - either silk or aluminum is my recommendation.

So check on install first, then adjust components piece by piece from there til you find what you like. Make sure your tweeters are aimed correctly in an optimal placement for your car. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

WhoSayWho?
12-10-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm a CDT dealer (filling in where DJDilliodon left off). .

So Don is no longer selling CDT?

vanburen
12-10-2007, 01:43 PM
For some reason i think it has to do with the tweeters pointing up towards the windshield. I'll try using some double sided tape and mounting them on the a-pillar for now to see if that works.

The tweeter is a silk dome and the crossover is a 480.

I'm thinking of going to the ES series 620 or 62i

Would the JL 300/4 bridged be enough to power those comps?

alteraudiousa
12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
As a fellow CDT dealer, i would definitely take some time on the install. I would experiment with placement of the tweeters and their imaging. I like to sound deaden the entire door also. Also holes in the door I like to have sealed off to make my entire door an enclosure. The CF driver is a good driver but is still not on the same level as the HD line. A step up from the CL driver but a few steps bhind the HD. HD driver has a nice frequency/ response range. It does much better than the CF in terms of midbass and loves to have lots of power or be run active. M6 driver is a killer for midbass and sounds quite nice. I love them in 3way setups or when using it with the HD-2 driver. PM me if you have any questions and I can help you out.

Zxcvtypo
12-10-2007, 02:06 PM
i ran a set of hd-62's off a pg xenon 200.2 and LOVED them, but they did seem to be very install dependent. on the other hand, they loved power and flat out raped my jeep's doors.

Torgus
12-10-2007, 04:29 PM
i loved my CDTs. they can take a bunch of power. make sure your door is properly deadened.

exige
12-11-2007, 03:09 AM
So Don is no longer selling CDT?

he's simply moving out of the ballgame a bit. he still sells though.