PDA

View Full Version : Small box = Small output?

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey yall. My setup is in my sig, But the box is different since i got my new car. The box i have now is only 1cube a piece with very small port area. The subs call for 2 cubes ported. My setup gets decently loud until i get up to almost max volume. My friend is running 400 watts to 2 jl audio w0's and mines just a tad louder but i have more then twice the amount of watts. Is it my subs that ****, or is it the box that is too small...

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
box is too small...you need about 3.5 cubes at 35 htz and your friend will cry

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 10:58 PM
I still think it should be way louder then what it is with the box i have..

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 10:59 PM
they need room to breathe.....and a small port is not helping them.

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:03 PM
The port is only 1" wide on both sides, the box is dual chamberd.

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:06 PM
the absolute minimum for those subs is 1.5 with around 50" of port

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:06 PM
sell the subs back to me....add $150 bucks and buy my SX's

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Well the clearly the problem is in the box, I know these things can get louder, Why dont you help me build a box in my trunk mang...

Exploder 97
are the sx's louder then the swiss audios?

bonesninja
Well the clearly the problem is in the box, I know these things can get louder, Why dont you help me build a box in my trunk mang...

i don't do in trunk builds.......

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:08 PM
are the sx's louder then the swiss audios?

should be....better power handling, more excursion

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I actually really like these 12"s, Im just stuck because shops want 150-250 for a in trunk box built. my trunk is huge,, its just the opening is small

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I actually really like these 12"s, Im just stuck because shops want 150-250 for a in trunk box built. my trunk is huge,, its just the opening is small

thats cuz they are a pain in the ***...specially if you want it carpeted

JimJ
12-08-2007, 11:15 PM

Considering most charge that much for out-of-vehicle builds, I'd say you have very reasonable shops.

I know that's what I'd charge for a project like that...

Canaan
12-08-2007, 11:16 PM
If your box is entirely too small and you dont have space for a proper ported box...go sealed.
You will get much better performance out of your subs.

Ported boxes what are too small tend to really lack in the low freqs. So as daily boxes, they can really ****. But, for all out SPL...bigger is not always better.

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Actually i have cream/tan leather interior so the color of mdf would match quite nicely... Do in car builds just use glue to hold the box together or do they use screws to?

Canaan
12-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Considering most charge that much for out-of-vehicle builds, I'd say you have very reasonable shops.

I know that's what I'd charge for a project like that...

Thats about what I would charge in-shop also.
Basic 2-12 vehicle specific boxes are ~$190-225, depending on size and if the customer wants recessed 2-tone baffle.

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:21 PM
If your box is entirely too small and you dont have space for a proper ported box...go sealed.
You will get much better performance out of your subs.

Ported boxes what are too small tend to really lack in the low freqs. So as daily boxes, they can really ****. But, for all out SPL...bigger is not always better.

those subs are terrible in a sealed box, i know---they used to be mine and i tried a sealed box. they are pretty much a spl type sub

Canaan
12-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Sorry bout that one, thought we were talking bout W0's.
I now see they are Swiss Audio's...never messed w/ em.

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:24 PM
I really dont even get any light dimmage because it sounds like the subs are getting max'd out before i can even turn them up to max, thats because of the box right? Id hate to dish out 2 benjamins and it just be that the subs arent really all the loud..

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:26 PM
I really dont even get any light dimmage because it sounds like the subs are getting max'd out before i can even turn them up to max, thats because of the box right? Id hate to dish out 2 benjamins and it just be that the subs arent really all the loud..

they are just in the wrong box man trust me....but i'll give you 100 bucks for them if you want to get rid of em

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Idk tempting,,, How much are the sx's worth bn from re

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:29 PM
try like $475 shipped from ebay

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:30 PM
for the pair? are you kidding me

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-RE-AUDIO-SX-10-10-2000W-SUBWOOFERS-US-AMPS-NEW-SUBS_W0QQitemZ320192441285QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3291Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$495 shipped

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:36 PM
I just wanna try to get a box that is ment for the swiss audio's. If im still not satisfied with them after i get the box or whatnot, and you still have the RE's Ill give you 150 for sure.. but one last thing. Since the box is so small would that really cause my lights not to dim for some odd reason?

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I just wanna try to get a box that is ment for the swiss audio's. If im still not satisfied with them after i get the box or whatnot, and you still have the RE's Ill give you 150 for sure.. but one last thing. Since the box is so small would that really cause my lights not to dim for some odd reason?

no

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:39 PM
so there might be multiple things going wrong then, Because if im packn around 1500 watts, i should be getting some sort of dimming going on with both my amps going.

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:39 PM
not necessarily

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:42 PM
my car alt is 105 amps and i have a duralast premium gold battery 900. Im almost to the point where im like forget all this loud shxt and just get something with a lil bass and be done with it.... I have seriously had these subs for over a year and they are yet to be hooked up correctly, it ***** not having a local buddy that knows how to work on car audio shxxt.

bonesninja
12-08-2007, 11:48 PM
going to get food from BW3's...be back in a few

Exploder 97
12-08-2007, 11:50 PM
i still think me and you should build a box in my car,, Ill pay you and ill buy the wood and cut it... i just need extra hands..

bonesninja
12-09-2007, 12:33 AM
i still think me and you should build a box in my car,, Ill pay you and ill buy the wood and cut it... i just need extra hands..

i just don't do in trunks...i hate them...........but the chicken buffalitos i just ate were delicious

Exploder 97
12-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Im just going to do it myself,,, But Can i just use wood glue and clamps. Or should i use screws to... I dont think it will be that hard to build a box into the trunk. I just need to find someone to make me up some plans now...

Betrayer00GT
12-09-2007, 03:49 AM
Hey yall. My setup is in my sig, But the box is different since i got my new car. The box i have now is only 1cube a piece with very small port area. The subs call for 2 cubes ported. My setup gets decently loud until i get up to almost max volume. My friend is running 400 watts to 2 jl audio w0's and mines just a tad louder but i have more then twice the amount of watts. Is it my subs that ****, or is it the box that is too small...

You know, "twice the amount of watts" is just 3dB, in and of itself. You know, 3dB is the very definition of "just a tad louder".

Agreed?

I don't know how you and your friend's subs compare, but the output difference caused by the different driver designs and the different enclosures is likely bigger than what just "twice the amount of watts" does (3dB). At least that is what I think is likely. If the difference in subs/enclosures is a tie, or even goes in his favor, you would be stuck at "just a tad louder".

PowerNaudio
12-09-2007, 04:43 AM
before you get a different enclosure, double check your amp and head unit settings. on the head unit check that your eq is set to 80Hz. and that any phase adjustments for the subwoofer on the head unit are set to default, and if it has a gain adjustments other then the volume control set them to half to start off or leave them like that if they are all the way up already. on the amps. check your gains, your eq and your subsonic filter. your subsonic filter set it to like 30Hz to start your eq set it to at least 80Hz and your gain to half. set the head units volume to a loud comfortable level and adjust the amps gain up, till it gets louder. if it doesn't then adjust the head unit gain a bit louder and so on, till it works out for you. if it doesn't work out then, i would go with a different enclosure. if your subs are maxing out on the Xmas already then your have actually maxed out your subwoofer output capability, you may be able to squeeze a bit more out from them by getting a better enclosure, but not much.

Lakota
12-09-2007, 09:44 AM
You know, "twice the amount of watts" is just 3dB, in and of itself. You know, 3dB is the very definition of "just a tad louder".

3 dB is the definition of double the sound intensity. However, to the human body it's likely to take more than 3 db to feel twice as loud.

bonesninja
12-09-2007, 09:58 AM
before you get a different enclosure, double check your amp and head unit settings. on the head unit check that your eq is set to 80Hz. and that any phase adjustments for the subwoofer on the head unit are set to default, and if it has a gain adjustments other then the volume control set them to half to start off or leave them like that if they are all the way up already. on the amps. check your gains, your eq and your subsonic filter. your subsonic filter set it to like 30Hz to start your eq set it to at least 80Hz and your gain to half. set the head units volume to a loud comfortable level and adjust the amps gain up, till it gets louder. if it doesn't then adjust the head unit gain a bit louder and so on, till it works out for you. if it doesn't work out then, i would go with a different enclosure. if your subs are maxing out on the Xmas already then your have actually maxed out your subwoofer output capability, you may be able to squeeze a bit more out from them by getting a better enclosure, but not much.

i disagree.....i used to own those subs and they came in in a custom built ported enclosure that was too small....they sounded okay but i thought they should be louder. Simply by building a bigger box they all of a sudden came to life.

edit: i mean there may be a settings issue but the box definately has to go..

PowerNaudio
12-09-2007, 12:44 PM
i disagree

every person thats has a doubt of whether they should get a better enclosure to improve the output level of the subwoofer system or overall performance, should trouble shoot their HU,Amp,Eq,etc... settings before making a subwoofer enclosure change. its basic trouble shooting, once he agrees that there is nothing wrong with the current system settings and that they are at optimal, can he then move forward to designing and building a new enclosure, that will make a dramatic change. but based on some of the questions he has asked, it seems to me like it is possible that there could be a systems setting that needs adjustment. onces thats all settled, he can successfully build an enclosure, and know that its going to make the difference that he is looking for. but just guessing at it, its not going to solve his problem and may only cause him extra headache's, which may just send him getting a new sub and enclosure rather then dealing with the issues that will save him some money, time and a headache. im not saying he doesn't need an enclosure. just stating that there are procedures to follow in order to come up with a logical conclusion.

SPLnut34
12-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Build your own box!! They are not difficult to build and you can build it to spec of how you want it. Sorry you have to build it in a trunk though.

bonesninja
12-09-2007, 12:58 PM
every person thats has a doubt of whether they should get a better enclosure to improve the output level of the subwoofer system or overall performance, should trouble shoot their HU,Amp,Eq,etc... settings before making a subwoofer enclosure change. its basic trouble shooting, once he agrees that there is nothing wrong with the current system settings and that they are at optimal, can he then move forward to designing and building a new enclosure, that will make a dramatic change. but based on some of the questions he has asked, it seems to me like it is possible that there could be a systems setting that needs adjustment. onces thats all settled, he can successfully build an enclosure, and know that its going to make the difference that he is looking for. but just guessing at it, its not going to solve his problem and may only cause him extra headache's, which may just send him getting a new sub and enclosure rather then dealing with the issues that will save him some money, time and a headache. im not saying he doesn't need an enclosure. just stating that there are procedures to follow in order to come up with a logical conclusion.

i agree with you whole-heartedly...its just that when you know something is wrong, fix that first before you go thru a whole lot of un-necessary steps. I would not suggest that he get a new box if i didn't know first hand about the issue. I actually sold those exact subs to him and i had the same issue...he had the same issue because he had them in bigger box before so he KNOWS the box is too small by far. The minimum i would go is like 3.5 for the pair...hell the manufacturer recommends 5^3 as optimal

Exploder 97
12-09-2007, 06:35 PM
well I guess if I have to single things out to fix the problem, The box is surely what i need to do first, If there wasnt 4 inches of ice on my car i would go take measurements right now and start getting a box built up.. Bonesninja ty for your quality time in my post lol