PDA

View Full Version : Brad Nailer

BuckyBoy
12-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I just got done building my first box and I have a couple friends that want me to build them one. I have seen it mentioned that brad nailers work great. My dad said he is gonna buy me one for Christmas, but he was looking at one of the more expensive ones. I told him to get me one that is around $50 because I am not sure how much I will be using it. Any suggestions? I don't know alot about brad nailers, but we have owned just about every other tool there is. Do they have any that don't use air? We have a big compressor, but I believe it will be too much pressure. It stays around 130PSI.

Paul73
12-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Every compressor on the market has a regulator...just turn it down to about 90 psi. Also don't skimp on tools, whether you use it occassionaly or not. A good tool will last a lot longer and be much more enjoyable to use when you do use it. I recommend Ridgid, Bostich, Porter Cable or Senco for a pin gun. If you want a really nice gun Grex make a 23 gauge headless pinner that is freakin awesome but it's money.

Punk In Drublic
12-08-2007, 07:19 PM
When you use brads to build a box, do you still need to clamp the joints? It seems to me that unlike a screw which pulls the joint together, a nail will just keep it from shifting one way or the other, not necessarily hold the joint tight while the glue dries?

BuckyBoy
12-08-2007, 11:54 PM
When you use brads to build a box, do you still need to clamp the joints? It seems to me that unlike a screw which pulls the joint together, a nail will just keep it from shifting one way or the other, not necessarily hold the joint tight while the glue dries?
It does seem like that. I also told my dad to get me some long clamps and a 90degree clamp so I plan on letting the glue dry before I nail it. I would also like to know how you guys do it tho. Do you still use clamps?

kmanian
12-09-2007, 12:02 AM
It does seem like that. I also told my dad to get me some long clamps and a 90degree clamp so I plan on letting the glue dry before I nail it. I would also like to know how you guys do it tho. Do you still use clamps?

If you clamp it until the glue dries there is no need to brad nail it. The brads just hold it until the glue cures. Others have varying opinions but I would throw some screws in for good measure.

kmanian
12-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Every compressor on the market has a regulator...just turn it down to about 90 psi. Also don't skimp on tools, whether you use it occassionaly or not. A good tool will last a lot longer and be much more enjoyable to use when you do use it. I recommend Ridgid, Bostich, Porter Cable or Senco for a pin gun. If you want a really nice gun Grex make a 23 gauge headless pinner that is freakin awesome but it's money.

X2:p:

Paul73
12-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Yeah you still have to use clamps and glue, whether you use a mechanical fastener or not. I just find that a brad nailer (or even better a narrow crown staple gun) is very helpful in getting the box assembled perfectly. Its like having a couple of extra hands.

Long bar clamps and some 90* corner clamps are a must have for ANY wood shop.

bjfish11
12-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah you still have to use clamps and glue, whether you use a mechanical fastener or not. I just find that a brad nailer (or even better a narrow crown staple gun) is very helpful in getting the box assembled perfectly. Its like having a couple of extra hands.

Long bar clamps and some 90* corner clamps are a must have for ANY wood shop.

LOL, I dont use either ;)

miker
12-09-2007, 02:56 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Paslode-902000-Cordless-Straight-Finish/dp/B0007KQUHA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1197230088&sr=1-7

This is the one that my dad has... Battery/ gas operated, worked very nice.

Pretty sure they sell them at Homedepot.

BTW: Nailing is the way to go... When it is all glued up and stuff the screws don't do much... I mean you might put a couple in for good measure... But nailing is 10x faster...

miker
12-09-2007, 02:57 PM
LOL, I dont use either ;)

What do you use?

bjfish11
12-09-2007, 03:28 PM
What do you use?

Glue and screws. Screws, IMO, are much better than using brads. Gives a much tighter and stronger joint while the glue dries.

miker
12-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I was talking about the clamps...

bjfish11
12-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I dont use clamps....

Colt9699
12-09-2007, 04:01 PM
I dont use clamps either , just glue and screw.

Paul73
12-09-2007, 04:06 PM
To each their own I suppose.....you will not find a real wood worker who builds finish items that doesn't use clamps. Explain to me how you get perfect 90 degree corners without clamps or a jig of some sort. If clamps were so un-necessary why are they found in every single cabinet/wood working shop I've ever been in?

bjfish11
12-09-2007, 04:10 PM
To each their own I suppose.....you will not find a real wood worker who builds finish items that doesn't use clamps. Explain to me how you get perfect 90 degree corners without clamps or a jig of some sort. If clamps were so un-necessary why are they found in every single cabinet/wood working shop I've ever been in?

I guess you could say I use a jig of sorts.... its called good cuts. Thats how I get 90* angles. ;)

Clamps are used in a lot of wood shops because in some items that are built, no mechanical fasteners are used. They just rely on glue to hold everything together. Which it does.... But if you use fasterns, clamps are not necessary.

brokeitagain
12-09-2007, 04:57 PM
my dad is a carpenter of 40 + years and the only time i have seen him use clamps was when there were no mechanical fasteners, He taught me lots of ways to build stuff. He helped me build my first 2 enclosures, i could have probably painted them without filling and sanding if it hadnt been for the screws that we used to put it together.I filled the screw heads that i counter sunk before carpeting. Too bad that they Turned out so well and did not work for a **** with my subs