PDA

View Full Version : MDF and Water

Symon_say
12-08-2007, 04:46 PM
HI

I same MDF taking dust in the garage and i'm planing on doing some tables for my bed room with it, but how good is MDF and water, it'll not be in contact with water but it need to be cleaned sometimes.

PD: The tables will be painted black and will shine like a mirror :D

hoss
12-08-2007, 04:49 PM
it doesnt do well with water.

water + mdf = expansion and glue break down.

but with the paintjob im assuming you are going to be doing (sealing coat) it will be alright :)

Immacomputer
12-08-2007, 05:43 PM
If you put a durable coating on top, it will be fine. I have a computer desk top made from plywood and I put about 10 coats of polyurethane on it and rejects water like nobody's business. Even though I used plywood, I could have used MDF and it would be just the same.

rollerdj
12-08-2007, 05:46 PM
i think u can get some laminat from the big box stores that u can put on top of it. it'll make it look better, and keep water off the mdf.

BrianChia
12-08-2007, 08:13 PM
I would use plywood instead of MDF. If you use MDF make sure that you brace the table well or it will tend to sag over time. If you polyurethane it it should resist water just fine.

Symon_say
12-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks i'll try it, and see how it works.

IgnoreMe
12-09-2007, 12:22 AM
im gonna go with using plywood instead. mdf doesnt seem to like water too much IME.

i know they use water to bend wood for hockey sticks (i watch "how its made" lol) but after wetting the wood and shaping it they dry it out for like 30 days IIRC. i dont know its because the wood needs that long to dry, or what but that definitely screams that there is something about wood and water that needs to be taken into account.

UCF52
12-09-2007, 01:32 AM
im gonna go with using plywood instead. mdf doesnt seem to like water too much IME.

i know they use water to bend wood for hockey sticks (i watch "how its made" lol) but after wetting the wood and shaping it they dry it out for like 30 days IIRC. i dont know its because the wood needs that long to dry, or what but that definitely screams that there is something about wood and water that needs to be taken into account.

hmm... I never knew that. The only way I have seen curves made was with a blowtorch. Learn something new everyday.

AudioXtremes
12-09-2007, 10:00 AM
You should ask wheeler. He is our resedent mdf and water expert.

:)

bjfish11
12-09-2007, 11:05 AM
You should ask wheeler. He is our resedent mdf and water expert.

:)

I was thinking this... but didnt want to say anything :laugh:

ctmike
12-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I was thinking this... but didnt want to say anything :laugh:

x2. clicked to read this cause i thought it was going to be a good wheeler bashing thread, but it's not:(

mile098
12-09-2007, 11:07 AM
is he the one the dipped the mdf into a pool?

ctmike
12-09-2007, 11:13 AM
is he the one the dipped the mdf into a pool?

yes, that's him.