PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad question - avg mileage

BreakingBad
12-08-2007, 12:07 AM
ok this is a random question that i KNOW will not have anywhere near an EXACT answer.

i googled, so don't refer me to a ****ing search engine :)

but anyway, i just recently got my trailblazer from a dealer. original mileage on car was around 32,600. i'm up to around 33,300 for a total of around ~650-700 miles.

at around 33,000-33,100 miles the brakes started to squeal extremely bad.

already talked to the dealership, they said make an appointment and they will check them out.

i will check them out myself, i just dont want to get screwed or backed into a corner like "well, you put 7, 800 miles on the brakes...we cant replace them"

what is an AVG amount of miles brakes will last given normal city / highway driving? majority of my driving is highway. i know you cant give me an exact, but i need something to go to the dealer with so he can't try backing out and will replace them since its only been 2 months since i got the car and the brakes are already shot..

mlstrass
12-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Squealing sound is the wear indicator. Used cars have used brakes, so it makes sense that they're ready to be replaced. Did they say the vehicle had new brakes when you bought it? Otherwise I don't see them replacing them for free.

outspoken
12-08-2007, 12:11 AM
i may be misinformed but in my experience squeaky brakes are the opposite side of the pad not the stopping side (unless you are metal to metal, then your ****ed, but youd notice it) i do my breaks when i first buy a car and about every 30 thousand after that, but i check em periodically. i just did mine 3000 miles ago and they still squeak from time to time, but i checked them the other day and they are fine... if you can get a free brake job out of it though i'd go for it.

it could be the warning clip too duh... i forgot that

BreakingBad
12-08-2007, 12:16 AM
GM certified, told me everything was new..new tires, brakes, etc.

it could be the indicator itself, yeah, but i mean stopping power isnt all that great- AT ALL

outspoken
12-08-2007, 12:19 AM
brake pad quality has an effect as well ceramic vs. composite brakes... ive used both and ceramic definately stop better, the cheap composite brakes always feel soft to me. other than that idk... you smell burnt metal?

Ferendon
12-08-2007, 12:48 AM
This is an un-answerable question. I've used up a whole set of Porterfields in single track weekend, but I've had other pads that lasted me for about 2 years.

And certified doesn't mean 'new' everything, it just means that it's passed an inspection that is required by GM. They met a minimum thickness spec, and your salesman fluffed you, or didn't know what he was talking about.

BreakingBad
12-08-2007, 01:29 AM
This is an un-answerable question. I've used up a whole set of Porterfields in single track weekend, but I've had other pads that lasted me for about 2 years.

And certified doesn't mean 'new' everything, it just means that it's passed an inspection that is required by GM. They met a minimum thickness spec, and your salesman fluffed you, or didn't know what he was talking about.

either way, i was just curious i dont want them to say like "oh well you put 700 miles on it we cant replace it" when he did say the pads were new.

Ferendon
12-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Chances are, if you insist that he said the pads were new, they'll pay for at least part of the brake job. Brake jobs are cheap for them, cheap enough that it's not worth a pissed off customer, or a letter to the BBB.

ekincam
12-20-2007, 01:12 AM
It really depends on how the car was used.

The original brake pads on my car lasted about 32 thousand miles and the Hawk HPS pads I put on afterwards were only 60% worn after 50 thousand miles on the pads. The original set of pads was from when I lived in the city. Shortly after I put the Hawk pads on, I moved to a rural area so there is a lot less braking and much more highway driving.

My relative has put over 70 thousand miles on his car and the original brakes are only 50% worn.

As for squealing, the Hawk pads tended to squeal when they were cold. Once they warmed up they did not make much noise. This was on the factory rotors that I did not resurface after changing the pads.

Are you capable of taking a wheel off to check the brake wear to see if the pads were actually changed as they stated?

Ferendon
12-21-2007, 01:35 AM
Hawk HPS pads are carbo-metallic, hence, the squealing when cold.
Porterfield's are ceramic, but they didn't make it through 9 hours of 110+ mph hard cornering and panic braking.

Just take it to the dealership and talk to them. See what they are willing to do for ya.