PDA

View Full Version : Removing panels in an 89' BMW

miker
12-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Anyone have an idea of how to remove the paneling w/o breaking the snaps?

||-> Thats kinda the shape of the snap... lol... Just incase it's the same as different years....

docutech
12-07-2007, 07:07 PM
You need a BMW door removal tool.:D

Forealz tho, it looks like one of them forks that you use for fondue, they work really good.

miker
12-07-2007, 07:09 PM
The little two prong ones? I'll check out some of the BMW websites...

docutech
12-07-2007, 07:10 PM
...lol

i was just messing with you cuzz... you can find that tool at Autozone or any local auto parts store.

miker
12-07-2007, 07:13 PM
...lol

i was just messing with you cuzz... you can find that tool at Autozone or any local auto parts store.

Sweet..

Thanks.

Lucas.B
12-07-2007, 08:30 PM
They just pry off, you don't need the tool, but it's always a bonus to have it. I've had three E30 BMW's, all of which I have taken apart may times, never using the tool. Just go slow.

miker
12-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah.. I just tried pulling the carpet trim off, and half of them broke..

THUNDERBIRD
12-07-2007, 10:54 PM
go slow and easy and look for hidden screws and clips. a pick set is always your friend.

Lucas.B
12-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah.. I just tried pulling the carpet trim off, and half of them broke..

Crap, yeah, on the edge by the door? Worst ones, luckily, you only need two to hold the trim piece on, one at either end, and they slide up and down. What kind of bimmer are you working on?

miker
12-08-2007, 01:47 AM
It's a 325ix.
Yeah I ended up with two still left so it's ok.

Audio Master
12-08-2007, 02:04 AM
dude they also sometimes are half screws if you turn them a half they will release then you pop it off or if they are the plastic trim ones that pop in pop out you need to use the pry tool to pop them up evenly and if they breack its not a biggy they are not expensive you can get them at the wrekers or a bmw joint for a few bucks

Lucas.B
12-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Sweet, AWD. Yes, it's very easy to detirmine the snaps from the screws, or half screws. anything that will a acceot and phillips or flat head, is a screw, anything that doesn't, is a snap haha.
Other than that, super easy car to work on, seats are easy to take out, battery's in the trunk, single DIN radio slot. Does you IX have a ski hole in the back seat?

miker
12-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Yup, and a bag... Can you take the bag off?

The seats are easy to take out? I am going to take the passenger side seat out to run the wires underneath it, and then through the ski hole... I haven't really looked at the front seats yet, but that encouraging.

Would I be fine removing those door panels with a flat head? Or do you guys use the puller tool