PDA

View Full Version : fuel additives

amoffitt
12-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I have an 03 impala and I just put gas treatment in the tank. I was wondering which additives actually work and what you guys would recommend I

amoffitt
12-06-2007, 04:40 PM
bump

hatemonger
12-06-2007, 04:41 PM
bg 44k

amoffitt
12-06-2007, 04:42 PM
whats that i never heard of it?

hatemonger
12-06-2007, 04:44 PM
it's good stuff. you may be able to get it at auto zone or checker. pretty expensive.
http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

amoffitt
12-06-2007, 04:46 PM
ahh have you ever used any of the STP products?

hatemonger
12-06-2007, 04:49 PM
ahh have you ever used any of the STP products?

yes. they are ok. nothing compares to bg 44k though. our mechanic at work uses it in all the company vehicles twice per year.

amoffitt
12-06-2007, 04:49 PM
hmm i might have to do that. you said it was kind of expensive. how much does it go for?

hatemonger
12-06-2007, 04:51 PM
hmm i might have to do that. you said it was kind of expensive. how much does it go for?

i never bought it. i just use some from the company since they get mass quantities. i did see some at checker though and i thought i remembered around 30$. it was behind the counter seperate from all the other additives.

amoffitt
12-06-2007, 04:52 PM
i gotcha

bigbirney420
12-06-2007, 04:54 PM
The lucas is really good, and the Chevron with Techron as well

dB-SPL
12-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Are you looking to clean injectors, boost octane, what?

-Bill-

amoffitt
12-07-2007, 01:12 AM
anything and everything to get better gas milage.

SuperchargedRS
12-07-2007, 01:24 AM
dont boost your octane! what is your compression ratio? putting higher then needed octane will just waste money

If you want better fuel economy do a good tune up, nice plugs maybe thicker wires (ignition system overhaul/upgrade), you could put a better flowing exhaust system on, CORRECT tire pressure, new O2 sensor (that can really help) check your MAF sensor, better airfliter/induction system.

Those fuel additives are commonly used as a crutch for shady maintaince.

amoffitt
12-07-2007, 12:27 PM
hmm i put it in there every now and then i just had the fuel system cleaned. i have a magnaflow cat converter and a aftermarket exhaust. and i have a air intake. i will probably look into changing spark plugs.

SuperchargedRS
12-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Dont forget to check the O2 sensor and MAF as they tell the engine JUST how much fuel is needed to maintain a proper A/F ratio,

also if you doing the plugs you might want to also upgrade the wires and coil (MSD is a good one)

revrider1
12-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Ive never really seen differance using these, only one worked for me. It was the Chevron complete fuel system cleaner...

Eugenics
12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Are you talking about power adders?

amoffitt
12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
hmm i calculated yesterday when i fueled that i get 22 mpg average

SuperchargedRS
12-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Are you talking about power adders?

Fuel additives you buy at walmart ARNT power adders

THIS is a power adder
http://www.aa1car.com/library/supercharger.jpg

when is the last time you replaced your O2 sensor and plugs?

Eugenics
12-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Fuel additives you buy at walmart ARNT power adders

THIS is a power adder
http://www.aa1car.com/library/supercharger.jpg

when is the last time you replaced your O2 sensor and plugs?

Thank you for insulting my intelligence catamite, i was going to explain how they dont work.

benzmansl65amg
12-07-2007, 12:59 PM
turbo

amoffitt
12-07-2007, 01:00 PM
im not sure when the last time was it might of been at 60000 when chevy did there checkup . right now im sitting at close to 90000

SuperchargedRS
12-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Might be a good idea, get a bosch one

also the plugs would be good too, I got the P4s and I noticed a little difference at idle and acceleration, I probably wouldn't of gotten them except I got a killer deal on ebay on em'

amoffitt
12-07-2007, 01:12 PM
hmm is there only 1 02( oxygen sensor ) on the car?

SuperchargedRS
12-07-2007, 01:15 PM
depends on the car, but I would guess on yours that would make sense, you can always ask one of the monkeys at the dealership, then go to kragen and buy one (or ebay if you can wait).

amoffitt
12-07-2007, 01:16 PM
hmm i c how much MPG's do ppl usually gain after getting new 02 sensor and MAF

SuperchargedRS
12-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Depending on how F'ed it is and your engine I would say 5+mpg for the O2 sensor
also you can test the O2 sensor with a accurate multimeter, or just get a new one for like 50bucks

clogged MAF can cause the same problem you can clean your MAF if you want to save money (as MAFs arent cheap here is how)

use ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. This is the only thing you should use to clean your MAF. Only ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. No windex, no carb cleaner, no brake cleaner, no rubbing alcohol, and no Q-Tips.

Step 1: Open the hood and locate your air box. If you can't find it...please stop right now and have a friend clean your MAF for you.

Step 2: Open the airbox and move the assembly up to give you room to work.

Step 3: Locate the plug on the bottom and move the grommet down to give you room. See picture.

Step 4: Take the flathead screwdriver and pop the four tabs holding the assembly in.

Step 5: Reach in and disconnect the wiring harness from the MAF. Don't rip the wires or anything!

Step 6: Remove the assembly. Locate the MAF and remove the two screws holding it in.

Step 7: Spray the living daylights out of the wires. Do NOT touch them. ABOSOLUTELY DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Those wires are very small and delicate. If you break one of them....it's a $150 mistake.

Step 8: The installation is the reversal.

Do this once every 6 months and your MAF will continue to be clean and your performance won't suffer.

ALSO dont forget about your plugs and wires

amoffitt
12-07-2007, 01:45 PM
hmm i might have to give it a shot

tsenfw
12-07-2007, 02:42 PM
hmmm i think i might go clean my MAF too. I've read you'll get better performance out of copper sparkplugs but they don't last nearly as long as platinum. That's a 6 cylinder right? You might have 2 02 sensors, that could be expensive to replace. I know my ford 3.8 has 2 after the cats.

amoffitt
12-07-2007, 04:57 PM
ya its a 6 cylinder

IgnoreMe
12-07-2007, 05:04 PM
just use chevron. techron is a HELL of a chemical. chevron actually sells it to other companies because of its effectiveness. in fact it was so effective is started to destroy poppet valves in GM motors (it was a bad design anyways, but the techron caused it to go over the edge)

thats really the only fuel "additive" you need to keep everything clean inside.

edit: btw. the techron destroying the poppet valves was on the older gm's...not like your current impala so dont get nervous lol

billabongcr
12-07-2007, 05:06 PM
lucas fuel additive FTW

makes my truck run like brand new

Ferendon
12-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Here we go again...

Dont forget to check the O2 sensor and MAF as they tell the engine JUST how much fuel is needed to maintain a proper A/F ratio,

also if you doing the plugs you might want to also upgrade the wires and coil (MSD is a good one)
There's way more to ignition systems than MSD.

Might be a good idea, get a bosch one

also the plugs would be good too, I got the P4s and I noticed a little difference at idle and acceleration, I probably wouldn't of gotten them except I got a killer deal on ebay on em'
Bosch plugs are ****. Get what is recommended for your car. There are very few engines in cars built in the last 10 years, that you can improve by changing plugs. Don't you think if simply changing a spark plug would yield better mileage, the manufacturer would have done it? And it's been lab proven, that the only style of multi-electrode spark plug that works is a V style, like a Splitfire. The only difference being, that the spark acr'd between the upper electrodes, rather than between the upper and coil electrodes, moving it slightly further into the combustion chamber. For a spark plug to ACTUALLY provide the 4 sparks that the Bosch +4s claim, it would need 4 coil electrodes, and 4 sparks. On Bosch +4s, you don't get 4 sparks or 4x the spark, you just 4 places for that same old spark to jump to.

hmm is there only 1 02( oxygen sensor ) on the car?
Most likely 2, and often as many as 4-6.

hmm i c how much MPG's do ppl usually gain after getting new 02 sensor and MAF
You won't see a gain, you'll see a reduction in loss. And unless the MAF is REALLY bad, you're better of leaving it alone. And if it was bad enough to need cleaning, your car would lurch, jump, idle poorly, and generally drive like ****. If it's idling and accelerating smooth, leave you MAF alone. It's fragile, and expensive.

Depending on how F'ed it is and your engine I would say 5+mpg for the O2 sensor
also you can test the O2 sensor with a accurate multimeter, or just get a new one for like 50bucks

clogged MAF can cause the same problem you can clean your MAF if you want to save money (as MAFs arent cheap here is how)

use ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. This is the only thing you should use to clean your MAF. Only ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. No windex, no carb cleaner, no brake cleaner, no rubbing alcohol, and no Q-Tips.

Step 1: Open the hood and locate your air box. If you can't find it...please stop right now and have a friend clean your MAF for you.

Step 2: Open the airbox and move the assembly up to give you room to work.

Step 3: Locate the plug on the bottom and move the grommet down to give you room. See picture.

Step 4: Take the flathead screwdriver and pop the four tabs holding the assembly in.

Step 5: Reach in and disconnect the wiring harness from the MAF. Don't rip the wires or anything!

Step 6: Remove the assembly. Locate the MAF and remove the two screws holding it in.

Step 7: Spray the living daylights out of the wires. Do NOT touch them. ABOSOLUTELY DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Those wires are very small and delicate. If you break one of them....it's a $150 mistake.

Step 8: The installation is the reversal.

Do this once every 6 months and your MAF will continue to be clean and your performance won't suffer.

ALSO dont forget about your plugs and wires

Cleaning your MAF is a huge risk, unless is NEEDS to be cleaned.
An O2 sensor would have to be absolutely obliterated to cost you 5+ mpg, and to test it with a multimeter, you would also need a torch, and something to hold it up for you. Testing it this way often destroys it. It's designed to withstand certain temperatures, and it changes the amount of voltage it puts out depending on it's temperature. You have to heat it up and check to see what the amount of resistance is at certain temperatures. Usually, as soon as it cools down, even if it tested good, it is no longer worth a ****. Getting up to operating temperature via a gradual increase in air temperature is what it's designed for, not being heated very quickly by an open flame that is twice the operating temperature. Keep in mind, the element inside of it, it ceramic, so be very careful not to drop or jolt them either.

SuperchargedRS, you're not allowed to give car advice any more. Shut up.

SuperchargedRS
12-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Here we go again...

There's way more to ignition systems than MSD.

uhh i dont get it, MSD is a manufacture not a component of a ignition system, I mentioned them as ther product line is readable avalibe at most retailers and they make a good product

Bosch plugs are ****. Get what is recommended for your car. There are very few engines in cars built in the last 10 years, that you can improve by changing plugs. Don't you think if simply changing a spark plug would yield better mileage, the manufacturer would have done it? And it's been lab proven, that the only style of multi-electrode spark plug that works is a V style, like a Splitfire. The only difference being, that the spark acr'd between the upper electrodes, rather than between the upper and coil electrodes, moving it slightly further into the combustion chamber. For a spark plug to ACTUALLY provide the 4 sparks that the Bosch +4s claim, it would need 4 coil electrodes, and 4 sparks. On Bosch +4s, you don't get 4 sparks or 4x the spark, you just 4 places for that same old spark to jump to.

****; really they seems to work well for me, I did not say they were the best plug out there, infact I said that I wouldnt of gotten them if I hadent bought them for a heck of a deal. How would it provide 4 sparks, when it only ignites once... did you think that they said that the plug would fire 4 times??? I never heard that before.

You won't see a gain, you'll see a reduction in loss.

A reduction in loss is a gain dumbazz, ahhh the southern educational system at work lol

An O2 sensor would have to be absolutely obliterated to cost you 5+ mpg, and to test it with a multimeter, you would also need a torch, and something to hold it up for you. Testing it this way often destroys it. It's designed to withstand certain temperatures, and it changes the amount of voltage it puts out depending on it's temperature. You have to heat it up and check to see what the amount of resistance is at certain temperatures. Usually, as soon as it cools down, even if it tested good, it is no longer worth a ****. Getting up to operating temperature via a gradual increase in air temperature is what it's designed for, not being heated very quickly by an open flame that is twice the operating temperature. Keep in mind, the element inside of it, it ceramic, so be very careful not to drop or jolt them either.

Hold it to a torch wow, I never would of thought of that, I was thinking of leaving it on the car and testing with a high impedence volt meter, the best way to hurt the o2 sensor would to be to apply voltage to it.

SuperchargedRS, you're not allowed to give car advice any more. Shut up.

Hmm, all the facts you are stating are anecdotal at best, also based apon what you stated on the other thread I commented on, and with how it looked like you read something I said about the car dealerships I tke it you dont like me? this is funny as you dont even know me! I know computers are new to texas (you know that whole "internet" thing) but try to be less of a pretensiously arrogant prick!

If you dont believe me about the o2 sensor here is a article written be a fellow texan, perhaps he phrased it in a way you might understand
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html

amoffitt
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
are you talking about just fueling at cheveron stations? or actually buying a additive?

da_tank
12-10-2007, 12:04 PM
add 6oz. of diesel, that'll get your temp up and clean the injectors.

amoffitt
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
what about seafoam. any of you use that?

whiteZ714x4
12-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Seafoam is awesome, best stuff that I have ever seen/used. I can put it through my pvc line or brake booster line and run my truck for 15 minutes and tons of smoke will come out of my exhasut tips, due to the excess carbon burning off. Its only like 7 dollars for a can at autozone or somewhere similar.

amoffitt
12-11-2007, 11:29 PM
is there one where you can just pour it into the tank?

amoffitt
12-14-2007, 10:21 AM
bump

19psi
12-14-2007, 03:32 PM
just keep using chevron fuel. the techron is already in it. it's enough to keep everything clean.
i pretty much agree with ferendon on what he says.
if your 02 sensor is bad, teh ecu will tell you by setting a check engine light.
same with the maf sensor.
bosch plugs=junk
platinum plugs=junk. they actually decrease hp and mileage. the ONLY reason platinum plugs came to be is that in some cars, it's a huge pain in the *** to change plugs. the mfr's needed a plug that would last a long long time to offset the labor cost of changing the plugs. plat's last 100k miles.
the reason they don't make as much hp and fuel mileage is that each tiem the plug sparks, a tiny bit of the electrode is used to make the spark. well, platinum is very hard, not much is lost every time. that's great for longevity, but bad for power and mileage.
the best plug for power and mileage is a standard copper plug. the dont' last as long but they make better sparks.
it depends on if you can do your own work or not. if youcan and don't mind doing it, use a copper plug.

amoffitt
12-15-2007, 01:54 PM
i gotcha. what makes up techron?

19psi
12-16-2007, 04:16 PM
i have never looked at the ingredients. possibly they're not even disclosed; i think chevron is pretty guarded with that kind of thing.

amoffitt
12-17-2007, 12:28 AM
ahh i gotcha so just fuel my next tank with cheveron gas and it will do the trick?

Ignatowski
12-17-2007, 05:22 AM
most fuel additives just boost octane numbers,makes the car feel a little more peppy
but thats short lived because they only work if you treat every tank....
I have seen Techron work after 2-3 treatments with results that last longer
but honestly most of todays gas,expecially 87 octane unleaded is not even 87 but less
than advertised and unfortunatly alot of todays newer motors really need a minimum
of 87...Here in TN the gas is quite a bit under 87 as my car(s) ping like mad but once I cross into another state to fill up
the pinging goes away -
essentially we are getting ripped off at the pumps
by not just the dollar amount but by the product itself and its a fight you can not win...

Did you know most big name gas brands have local refinerys make the gas for them
and just slap thier name's on it - The fuel industry is scary,lies and ripoffs all over the place
and its such a large industry that little peaon's like us cant do jack about it

sinosic
12-17-2007, 06:04 AM
a few drops of acetone in the tank everytime you fill up for increased mpg...
its not a additive that cleans or boost the octane level. adding Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency. link for more info.http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
or google search aceatone for better mpg, or somthing like that.
it sounds all good, acept aceaton will eat away any rubber that it contacts. but is a few drops enough to *** up fuel lines and seals? ???

Flipx99
12-17-2007, 09:44 AM
I use lucas oil.

19psi
12-17-2007, 10:44 AM
just use the chevron on aregular basis, it will do the job.

Speedyd718
12-17-2007, 11:09 AM
i use berryman's b-12 chemtool. seems to work well.

i've got a bottle of techron concentrate just to try it once on the next fill up.

amoffitt
12-17-2007, 12:43 PM
For a chevy impala 2003 with the 3.4 liter engine what type of gas do you prefer

Pootie
12-17-2007, 12:46 PM
I use lucas oil.

I went to Autozone this past weekend and thats what the guy that worked there recommended so I got it only $5 smacks I guess I ll see works

Flipx99
12-17-2007, 12:49 PM
I went to Autozone this past weekend and thats what the guy that worked there recommended so I got it only $5 smacks I guess I ll see works

I use the oil enhancer as well. It's pretty expensive at $10. But I use .75 qt per oil change and I think it make a difference on how well the oil sticks to the cylinders. I think it helps on cold starts more than anything.

Speedyd718
12-17-2007, 02:16 PM
For a chevy impala 2003 with the 3.4 liter engine what type of gas do you prefer

should be in your manual whats reccomended. most likely regular 87oct

DBfan187
12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I use JP5.

2kchevy06civic
12-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I use JP5.

Jurassic Park 5? :wow::wow:

Flipx99
12-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Jurassic Park 5? :wow::wow:

Jet fuel

2kchevy06civic
12-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Jet fuel

I like the sound of Jurassic Park 5 better. It's like having a t-rex owning your car.

19psi
12-18-2007, 11:24 AM

87 octane works fine. the only reason for using premium is if you have a high performance, high compression or turbo/supercharged engine. then it's necessary to prevent pre ignition.
for standard engines, though, 87 is best. forget the middlegrade, it'sworthless to anyone.

Flipx99
12-18-2007, 11:24 AM
I still use 93 from time to time because it burns cleaner...

amoffitt
12-19-2007, 12:25 AM
would it help out any if i put 93 in it once because of the higher temp it burns at?

19psi
12-19-2007, 11:08 AM
i woudln't use the 93. it's actually HARDER to ignite than 87. if you're using good quality fuel, the additives should be the same.

amoffitt
12-19-2007, 12:55 PM
ahh i gotcha

whiteZ714x4
12-28-2007, 12:23 AM
is there one where you can just pour it into the tank?

Yes you can pour it in the tank, but I would do that after you run it through your vacuum line or brake booster line, then dump the other half of the bottle into the gas tank.