PDA

View Full Version : Made the box, now have issues...

etc.
12-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I built a small slanted sealed box (~1 cube)) for a 12 inch Memphis PR, just to throw in the trunk of a 97 Crown Vic. It just sat in the bottom of the trunk on the drivers side.

It sounded better than I thought it would, but began building another sealed box to the exact specs (1.25 cubes) to place over the rear end and fire upwards into the rear deck. I have it bolted down and hits very mellow compared to the old box/ location. When I crack the trunk open ~3" in the rear I can tell a very noticable difference.

The sub is mostly on the drivers side, about 8 inches from being in the middle of the car...

I've read about venting the rear deck, but still unsure of where to place the vents: Over the sub, off to the side...? Or is the idea just to give it some air???

I plan on taking out the rear 6x9s and rear seat padding but I dont think that will very help as much. I've also thought about cutting out the cardboard material from the carpet, but havent taken a look to see if its glued to it.

I know its an up hill battle with a trunk car, but any help would be great :)

JimJ
12-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Go back to the original way you had it?

:)

etc.
12-05-2007, 02:36 PM
LOL thought about it, but due to the snow,

bags of salt > sub box :)

It was also a bad location for it. When ever you opened the trunk water/snow would drip on the box.

jco1385
12-05-2007, 02:41 PM
so put the old box in the new box's location? i have the same effect when i crack my windows down about 1-2 inches. has to be both windows tho.

etc.
12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Good idea :)

I could do that. I didnt really take the time to make it very pretty, just threw it together to have something while I took the time to build a more eye appealing box to correct specs lol

I will do the whole padding/speaker removal and see how it goes...

If not I will just re-install the ugly box and make a more pretty-er-er box and putting what I learned to good use :)

etc.
12-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Well after taking most of the seat padding and both rear 6 1/2 out, the end result wasnt good....sounded worse.

Old box goes in and a new plan has begun.