PDA

View Full Version : 9887 just arrived and I have some questions

grampi
12-05-2007, 08:59 AM
I also have an imprint due to arrive today, but I've been hearing that most poeple who have used it don't like the way the systems sounds afterwards and they end up adjusting the system manually. In case this is the case with me as well, I want to be familiar with the manual adjustments on the 9887.

The 9887 has both a parametric and graphic EQ. Can anyone explain the difference between these two types of EQs, which one is better, and why?

Page 14 of the manual covers adjusting and storing the parametric EQ curve. Step 6 says to press SOURCE to set the bandwidth (adjustable bandwidth 1,1.5,3). What does this function do, and what is the 1, 1.5, and 3 for?

Pages 17-19 cover setting up time correction, however it doesn't mention anything about setting up the time correction for a system using just a pair of componenet speakers up front and one sub in the rear (no rear speakers). How do you make the time correction calculations for this speaker arrangement?

Also, if I end up tuning the system manually, is there a certain setup CD I can use to tune the system? I've tried tuning systems in the past by listening to music CDs while making adjustments, but because every source is completely different, it's almost impossible (for me anyway) to adjust a system this way. I would think there's got to be a source CD to use that makes adjusting your system easier and more effective. Thanks.

nismos14
12-05-2007, 01:08 PM
I also have an imprint due to arrive today, but I've been hearing that most poeple who have used it don't like the way the systems sounds afterwards and they end up adjusting the system manually. In case this is the case with me as well, I want to be familiar with the manual adjustments on the 9887.

The 9887 has both a parametric and graphic EQ. Can anyone explain the difference between these two types of EQs, which one is better, and why?

Page 14 of the manual covers adjusting and storing the parametric EQ curve. Step 6 says to press SOURCE to set the bandwidth (adjustable bandwidth 1,1.5,3). What does this function do, and what is the 1, 1.5, and 3 for?

Pages 17-19 cover setting up time correction, however it doesn't mention anything about setting up the time correction for a system using just a pair of componenet speakers up front and one sub in the rear (no rear speakers). How do you make the time correction calculations for this speaker arrangement?

Also, if I end up tuning the system manually, is there a certain setup CD I can use to tune the system? I've tried tuning systems in the past by listening to music CDs while making adjustments, but because every source is completely different, it's almost impossible (for me anyway) to adjust a system this way. I would think there's got to be a source CD to use that makes adjusting your system easier and more effective. Thanks.

This image should help with the q factor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bandwidth.svg

think of the 1 as being a more narrow version of that, 1.5 being in the middle and 3 being the whole thing, that means the adustment is being made to also affect a wider range of frequencies at 3, smaller at 1.5 and smallest at 1.

For time correct, same way as you would with rear speakers. Just use the graph in the manual to determine what numbers to use.

As far as the tuning, I have all 6 eq storage spots setup with different curves.

You can also utilize the built in factory eq's for certain genre's of music.

cups
12-05-2007, 02:32 PM
....but I've been hearing that most poeple who have used it don't like the way the systems sounds afterwards and they end up adjusting the system manually.....

You need to appreciate clean sound to like what imprint does. It will pick a good LFE crossover point for your sub and will adjust time alignment in a way you will be able to hear your music FULL. You won't hear a SUB anymore and you won't be able to localize it. In fact people might comment that you're front speakers seem to be doing everything but once you set sub level to zero you will realize you're sub is still a big part of what you're listening to.

I always liked how bass sounded in movie theaters. Just the right amount to hear explosions clean, detailed and hit real hard! That's what I wanted my setup to sound like and this is what imprint did.

After you're done with imprint adjustment give it a few days and listen before you do anything. Just keep sub at a moderate level and listen.. judge later.

grampi
12-05-2007, 06:28 PM
This image should help with the q factor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bandwidth.svg

think of the 1 as being a more narrow version of that, 1.5 being in the middle and 3 being the whole thing, that means the adustment is being made to also affect a wider range of frequencies at 3, smaller at 1.5 and smallest at 1.

For time correct, same way as you would with rear speakers. Just use the graph in the manual to determine what numbers to use.

As far as the tuning, I have all 6 eq storage spots setup with different curves.

You can also utilize the built in factory eq's for certain genre's of music.

The guys over in diymobileaudio.com are saying the bandwidth numbers are just the opposite, whereas 3 is the narrowest, and 1 is the widest.

nismos14
12-05-2007, 08:26 PM
The guys over in diymobileaudio.com are saying the bandwidth numbers are just the opposite, whereas 3 is the narrowest, and 1 is the widest.

Logically that doesn't make sense to me, but I'm gonna go test that theory out right now.

ebrunn
12-05-2007, 08:30 PM
pics?

grampi
12-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Logically that doesn't make sense to me, but I'm gonna go test that theory out right now.

What's the verdict?

nismos14
12-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I can't really tell the difference. Lol.... I'll have to do some listening to see. I tried messing with it and it SEEMS that 1 is wider.... So it must be true... just completely different than what I'm used to from eclipse/pioneer etc.

grizzly02
12-15-2007, 12:18 AM
1 is wider and 3 is norrower. I was going to get the imprint, but I am using the H701 so no go for me. I am still trying to tune the system the h701 is totally manual making it very difficult to set everything!

groundpound4200
12-15-2007, 01:28 AM
You can use the graphic eq instead of the parametric