PDA

View Full Version : About to Buy/Install Comps+Amp

skrilla22
12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Ok I already have enough bass, so its time I need a lot more vocals. I'm thinking of a Phoenix Gold Rsd6.5 Comp Set with a Cadence 3002 (150x2)

Now if I were to run the tweeters off the amp would I have to get a 6004? Instead of doing that could I just run the tweeters to the crossover, then into my head unit? Is there some type of RCA to Speaker wire adapter for that?

Btw my head unit is a pioneer deh-p390.

I was also thinking if I could run the tweeters off of the HU, should i buy the 6004 so i can run the rsd's for the front, and then in the near future use the other 2 channels for 6x9's in the rear. What option would you guys choose?

Sorry for so many questions, i'm still kinda new to ca and this will be my first component set install. thanks in advance for the replys.

JimJ
12-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Instead of either of those options, I'd look into another 2-channel amp, run an active crossover and not use the passives at all...

redcalimp5
12-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Just keep your comps passive off of the 150X2, and forget about putting money into the rears. The 6X9's aren't really necessary in the rear, especially if you've got a pretty formidable setup with your substage.

skrilla22
12-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Hmm so your saying run the PG's off the 300/2, then for the tweeters get a much smaller amp?

skrilla22
12-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Hmm Ya I think I might go your way redcal. I just read the Passive and Active Crossover thread and it seems you have to be experienced for the active xovers.

So just to make sure, I can run 2 speakers and 2 tweeters off a 2-channel amp right? Ofc using 1 spkr + 1 tweet to passive xover for each channel.

tapout
12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/component_speakers_installation_guide.html

redcalimp5
12-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Hmm Ya I think I might go your way redcal. I just read the Passive and Active Crossover thread and it seems you have to be experienced for the active xovers.

So just to make sure, I can run 2 speakers and 2 tweeters off a 2-channel amp right? Ofc using 1 spkr + 1 tweet to passive xover for each channel.

You don't really have to be "experienced" to run an active setup. You really just need patience, and the willingness to want to continually fine-tune your system yourself. the passive crossovers that come with your components already have the necessary factory recommended crossover settings built in, so basically when you run your comps with the passive crossovers, you can just basically drop them in, hook them up to your amp, and you're ready to jam. If you want to tinker with your crossover settings from your head unit, and really get into adjusting frequencies and slopes and how they affect your mids and tweets, then go the active route.

And you're correct about your second thought. When you run your components with the passive crossovers, you will be fine with just using your 2 channel amp for them.

redcalimp5
12-04-2007, 04:32 PM
If you find that after running your components passive for a while with 150X2 that they aren't loud enough to stand out over your subs, then you could consider picking up a 4 channel amp for the mids and tweets, ditching the passive crossovers, and go active.

Try passive first, then go from there if you don't like it.

skrilla22
12-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Ok cool thanks for your input, thats probably what i'm going to do as of now since i'm kinda short on cash, then in the near future i may go active. Thanks again for your opinon.