PDA

View Full Version : Open Door Speaker in Sealed Enclosure

budget76
12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Well, picked up a set of focal 5.25 mids. Emailed Focal asking what kit they were from, and got :

The speaker you have is from an old kit called a 130H.
Its a 4ohm driver and is designed to work in a open door

I have no kick panel mounting possibilities, my truck never came stock with a stereo, and I have a custom box mounted in front of the shifters that's completely sealed, and i'd say between .25-.5cubes internally MAX. gonna have to measure to find out the exact measurements if needed.

Would I have a problem running the Focals in a sealed box, since they're advertised as open door?

I'm not worried about SQ, it's a budget pieced together system, and i'm using these mids, DB Link crossovers, and MTX tweets, so I know it's not gonna be perfect, but it's what I have and the Xplods in the enclosure now blew (surprised?)

TylerBD12
12-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I dont see why it wouldnt work but i dont know for sure.

we'll let one of the experts chime in.

helotaxi
12-04-2007, 09:25 AM
They'll work. Wouldn't expect much in the way of midbass, but they're only 5.25s anyway.

budget76
12-04-2007, 05:00 PM
cool, that's what I thought, just didn't want to kill the speakers. What would happen, if, say, I made the box "ported" by drilling a 1'' hole or two in the side, midbass wise? I know they're 5.25's, and am not expecting much, but i'm curious.

thanks

acold7dusta
12-04-2007, 09:41 PM
well since you think porting it is just drilling a hole in it, i wouldn't consider doing any modifications to those enclosures

budget76
12-04-2007, 10:15 PM
well since you think porting it is just drilling a hole in it, i wouldn't consider doing any modifications to those enclosures

I know it's not porting, I thought it would just in essence be making it open air,like the inside of a door, free to move air in and out. It's not a Focal made enclosure or anything, one I made up, not custom built for the speakers or anything like that. Not talking about porting it like they're subs, that's why I had the quotes. I guess i'll leave it sealed then. I'm not quite that dumb, thinking ported=random holes drilled in a sealed enclosure. That was before I found CA.com

I had one with no back, so that was essentially free-air, but made a sealed one because I thought it'd be better overall. Whatever, got my question answered, and they'll go in sometime soon.

thanks

JimJ
12-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Mounting inside of a door should be sealed up, no air should be able to escape.

Wouldn't expect much in the way of midbass, but they're only 5.25s anyway.

I don't know, Ramos' 5.25" Rainbows still amaze me for what they do in subbass...true subbass :)

budget76
12-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Mounting inside of a door should be sealed up, no air should be able to escape.

I don't know, Ramos' 5.25" Rainbows still amaze me for what they do in subbass...true subbass :)

thanks, I guess my doors on a 30 yr old truck are made a little different than new car doors:D They seal mostly, besides for up by the window. May throw these in soon. It's snowing today, I don't really want to go outside:crap:

JimJ
12-05-2007, 03:31 PM
thanks, I guess my doors on a 30 yr old truck are made a little different than new car doors:D They seal mostly, besides for up by the window. May throw these in soon. It's snowing today, I don't really want to go outside:crap:

Love the Scout :)

I've been looking around for an 800...

morgans432
12-05-2007, 03:32 PM
where in nj do you live?

budget76
12-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Love the Scout :)

I've been looking around for an 800...

Thanks man, it's four years in the making. Shoulda been crushed when I bought it. As i'm sure you know with scouts, SOLID drivetrain, but shot body:rolleyes: If you want a couple more pics for whatever reason pm me your email and i'll shoot em to you. Good luck finding an 800, like them more, just too small for a daily driver, and a little too rough.

where in nj do you live?

I'm in Manasquan, about 5 minutes from Point Pleasant, exit 98 on the PKWY