PDA

View Full Version : Whats the trick to get nice flush mount for aeros ports?

innsanes
12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I see the pros flush mounting aero ports. How do i do that and what router bit should i use. I know how to flush mount a sub by making double baffles, but what about flushing an aero port or a plate amp?

AudioXtremes
12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Roundover bit countersunk the depth of the flange thickness.

hempy
12-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Roundover bit countersunk the depth of the flange thickness.

???

You either need a rabbet bit or a standard cutting bit with a guide.

Trey803
12-03-2007, 06:27 PM
I was thinking about buying a router and table saw. I remember their being 2 different types of routers but cannot remember specifically what they were called. Anyways which style should I get?

Thieroff
12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
I was thinking about buying a router and table saw. I remember their being 2 different types of routers but cannot remember specifically what they were called. Anyways which style should I get?

Fixed base and a plunge base.

I'd buy a plunge, in your case.

CT

Trey803
12-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Any thing in particular to look for when buying a router?

Thieroff
12-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Any thing in particular to look for when buying a router?

Reputable brand name, warranty, price, distributor and build quality of the router.

Do a little research on Google and it will pull up some reviews. I'm sure you can tell which reviews are reputable and which aren't.

A good router is versatile for what you need it for.

CT

BrianChia
12-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Get a brand name plunge router with a good warranty. High horsepower and variable speed are nice features to look for.

As for making a flared port, there are two ways. One is to simply use a mortising or straight bit set at the depth of the port flare thickness (plunge router comes in handy here). The other way is to flare the actual wood cutout using a roundover bit and use a straight cut tube or pipe attached in the inside. The first method works better if you are using carpet. The second method is good if you are painting the box or if you want to use PVC pipe.

You will need a circle jig to flush cut ports and you will need a router fence to flush mount plate amps.

mobeious
12-03-2007, 07:24 PM
i tell u what all the boxes iv built and iv used the $99 skill plunge router and its been great to me not 1 hicup.. if i were to buy another one it would be prolly a porter cable.. as of flushing the ports just measure the flange get a rabit bit that is the right width cut and set ur depth and u have flushness

innsanes
12-03-2007, 09:59 PM
i can cut the circle easily with a jasper jig, but when im trying to flush it to the thinkness of the port tube i need a guide right? I guess the roundover bit can be used since it guides it through. I'll play around with it this weekend. thanks

lilmaniac2
12-03-2007, 10:01 PM
i use the jasper jig, set it to the width of the port flare, set the depth to the thickness of the mounting flange ( usually 1/8" ) and go around its secksi

BrianChia
12-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Use a pair of calipers to measure the thickness and then set the micro adjust on the router's depth stop accordingly to get a perfect flush.

THUMPPER
12-03-2007, 11:20 PM
I use the small Jasper circle jig to make countersunk circles
for Aeroports....it works perfect every time

ngsm13
12-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Rabbet it.

nG