PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

audiom3
12-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Im building a sealed box and was wondering if the depth matters because my trunk is quite wide but not very deep so im trying to save space by making the box wider but not as deep. Will this affect the performance of the sub because it will be the same amount of airspace but in a different shape which seems like the same thing but I could be wrong any ideas???

amedeuce
12-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Doesn't matter as long as the sub isn't hitting the back of the box or too close to it. I guess that depends on the pole vent also, if it has one.
But basically the shape really doesn't matter, just airspace.

amedeuce
12-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Uh, what sub we talkin about here.

mile098
12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
the shape doesnt matter(at least not here), just make sure u reinforce the enclosure from the inside if its that wide...it has to be stif and firm and the wood mustn't 'lean in' on the pressure

jdc753
12-03-2007, 02:30 PM
If your getting too wide with it, you can either double baffle it (kind looks better too IMO with a flush mount look) or use dowels inside to brace the box, or ribs or various ways of just stiffening it up.

I think the only problem with shape in sealed boxes comes when the box is approaching a square shape, otherwise they are fine in any shape.

If you got a pole vent give yourself at least 1-2" from the back of the sub and you should be good.

audiom3
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys the sub will be inverted so no problems there and no pole vent the sub is an 06 xxx 12". I was surprised at how little airspace the 12 requires sealed about 1.1cubes and im gonna give it about 1.2 and it will be double baffled with another piece of wood in front of that to hide the box to create a fake wall in the trunk. Any other issues you guys forsee and thanks for the quick replys.