PDA

View Full Version : How to wire Boston Pro60's

2008screw
12-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Hey all,

I have purchased a set of Pro60's along with an ALpine PDX-4.150 amp

Should I bi-wire the components or bridge the 4 channel amp.

Amp is 150 RMS per channel both at 2 or 4 ohms and is 300 RMS @ 4 ohms per channel.

I will be using this amp solely for the fronts.

What would you do?

Trey803
12-02-2007, 07:45 PM
run them active

HCCA
12-02-2007, 08:40 PM
run them active

Ehhh...I'd run them with the supplied passive crossovers, and bridge the amp. The BA Pro60 set can take 300W/side, and they really don't sound that loud until you feed them more than 150w/side.
Going active you do NOT want 150W going to your tweeters with nothing in between. If you are bi-wiring, you then lose the extra 3 db of output while not really gaining anyting on SQ. I just don't see what's to be gained bi-wiring them. You have tweeter attenuation selection in the crossovers, and you will be losing a bit of headroom in the trade.
HOWEVER....the Pros are rated 3 ohm. I don't know if the amp you are looking at will be stable at 3 ohm bridged... For the purpose of amp stability, you might HAVE TO bi-wire if the amp won't support the impedance load. I'm not familiar with the PDX Alpine's load capabilities.

Rawr-DQ
12-02-2007, 09:40 PM
If you run them active you will need some kinda of crossover before the amp...

Just use the crossovers that came with the speakers

2008screw
12-03-2007, 10:49 AM
HOWEVER....the Pros are rated 3 ohm. I don't know if the amp you are looking at will be stable at 3 ohm bridged... For the purpose of amp stability, you might HAVE TO bi-wire if the amp won't support the impedance load. I'm not familiar with the PDX Alpine's load capabilities.

I just called ALpine Tech Support and they said the PDX amp are always (bridged or umbridged) stable anywhere between 2 and 4 ohm. Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!:cool: