PDA

View Full Version : HOw many of you use polyfill in ported enclosures?

tsenfw
12-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Alright how many of you use polyfill in your ported enclosures when volume and tuning are built to avg recommended spec?

EDIT: As per request I'll add more detail.

For daily bumpin, for great lows, overall greatest sq, and maximum boom factor inside and outside car!

mile098
12-02-2007, 05:16 PM
tried it once..never again in ported

Immacomputer
12-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Where is the "I make the decision based on what I'm looking to achieve from my setup" option or the more simple, "sometimes yes, sometimes no" option? This poll *****.

tsenfw
12-02-2007, 05:23 PM
I said in avg recommended size and tuning, that's not enough? Ok, I'll add some info.

bamaboy
12-02-2007, 05:31 PM
is it needed for HT stuff?

ive never really used it in ported

Immacomputer
12-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I said in avg recommended size and tuning, that's not enough? Ok, I'll add some info.

My post still stands. And really, it's a cheap and easy mod that you can easily do yourself and make your own final conclusions for. If I had a choice of either following blindly what some forum randoms had to to say or going out and making my own decision based on experience, I would choose myself every time.

THUMPPER
12-02-2007, 06:07 PM
I have used polyfill in ported enclosures...
with a thin layer on all inner pannel surfaces there is
a very small audiable difference in SQ..

too much polyfill will effect the inner cf3 and alter tunning

flakko
12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resources/fiberfill/

read it does make the box "bigger" even in ported enclosures therefore changing to tuning

tsenfw
12-02-2007, 08:38 PM
My post still stands. And really, it's a cheap and easy mod that you can easily do yourself and make your own final conclusions for. If I had a choice of either following blindly what some forum randoms had to to say or going out and making my own decision based on experience, I would choose myself every time.

See, look it all the nice advice and link in the replies. That's very helpful!

If you soley relied on your own experience, why bother even being on a forum. Isn't one of the purposes of a forum to utilize the experience of others?

That said of course I'm going to draw my own conclusions, it's just nice to see what's common practice if there is any.

I would just try with and without but since I don't know what fasteners to use with my sub. (Unresolved in another thread - First they says tnuts, then they say tnuts are bad - then threaded inserts - then just wood screws). I don't want to put the sub on and take it off a number of times. Possibility of extra holes and/or destroying air tight seal for sub on the my first slot port box build that I spent forever designing, building, and carpeting!

Not trying to argue just showing my viewpoint. BTW i think you usually give awesome advice Immacomputer.

Immacomputer
12-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I can't count how many times I have mounted and unmounted my sub with wood screws in the same enclosure without harmful effects.

Your poll does **** as it doesn't include many options. I have put polyfil in ported enclosures and I have chosen to leave it out. It depends on my application and in this application: "daily bumpin, for great lows, overall greatest sq, and maximum boom factor," I can see times when I would use it and when I would not but it needs specific details.

Lakota
12-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I can't count how many times I have mounted and unmounted my sub with wood screws in the same enclosure without harmful effects.

I have to remove my sub frequently for spl testing and with it being square I can't rotate it. I've found that threads in the wood will last longer when tightening the screws by hand.

tsenfw
12-03-2007, 12:46 AM

Your poll does **** as it doesn't include many options. I have put polyfil in ported enclosures and I have chosen to leave it out. It depends on my application and in this application: "daily bumpin, for great lows, overall greatest sq, and maximum boom factor," I can see times when I would use it and when I would not but it needs specific details.

Alright, that's good I'll just use screws then. They've worked fine for me in wood but I was just afraid the mdf might act a little different. Guess not.

Ok, i see what you are saying. When I get the sub (hopefully tomorow) I'll listen to it without polyfill and see how it sounds.

tsenfw
12-03-2007, 12:47 AM
I have to remove my sub frequently for spl testing and with it being square I can't rotate it. I've found that threads in the wood will last longer when tightening the screws by hand.

Yes, I did do them by hand on the only two subs i have ever installed in my life. I figured it would be better by hand.

JimJ
12-03-2007, 12:48 AM
For daily bumpin, for great lows, overall greatest sq, and maximum boom factor inside and outside car!

That is probably the most fundamentally flawed sentence I've read in a while.

tsenfw
12-03-2007, 12:52 AM
ok, i should have just stated SQ or daily performer than. What would you call best quality sound and loudest all around setup?

JimJ
12-03-2007, 12:58 AM
What would you call best quality sound and loudest all around setup?

Someone who was really confused.

revrider1
12-03-2007, 12:59 AM
I have never used polyfill before, ever...

tsenfw
12-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Someone who was really confused.

I think you're confused, I basically asked what you would call an all around performer and you tell me I'm confused? Is it impossible to make a ported box that performs decent overall for daily driving?

You know, I hate douchebags like you who come into threads with nothing to add, not even comic relief.

This is the only the second box I have built. Just trying to find out if people commonly use polyfill in their ported enclosures. This was my first slot port, first carpeted, first time working with mdf, and first one where I actually knew enough to make it the recommended volume and tuning exactly.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/tsenfw/DSC00312.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/tsenfw/DSC00307.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/tsenfw/DSC00331.jpg

That right there isn't the greatest box, but it's measured exactly to spec and isn't half bad for someones first attempt at that **** alone with NO local help and figuring that **** out strictly from help online. It's probably better than your second box, shittttt maybe even what you're rocking right now!

phantom240
12-03-2007, 01:58 AM

Use hex screws and hurricane nuts. Never again will you need new holes or worry about messing up the box taking the sub out.

Done.

Betrayer00GT
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
ok, i should have just stated SQ or daily performer than. What would you call best quality sound and loudest all around setup?

Mutually exclusive?

:confused:

Your box looks well built. I am going the fiberglass route, but I am starting off with a temp MDF enclosure, just to verify the size/tune before committing it to fiberglass. It has been a while since I have made an MDF box, and yours seems to have come out rather a lot better than my "temporary" one.

I think what people really want to know is more exact detail. For example:

"I am using a <mfg> <model> in a <cuft> box tuned at <Hz>, and I plan to put <watts> through it. Here is the box plan. Does anyone think I should be using polyfil in this enclosure?"

I understand that you are interested in whether it is a "common practice" to use polyfil in a ported box, but that is kinda irrelevant. I know, personally, my "common practice" is to use what is best in a particular situation. That may require testing/adjusting polyfil usage, or not using any at all. It depends.

PV Audio
12-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Imma is right, the poll is worthless. I have before, and will again in the future, but it depends on the application. You need to put it in pillows on the inside, not just loose.

PV Audio
12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I think you're confused, I basically asked what you would call an all around performer and you tell me I'm confused? Is it impossible to make a ported box that performs decent overall for daily driving?

You know, I hate douchebags like you who come into threads with nothing to add, not even comic relief.

This is the only the second box I have built. Just trying to find out if people commonly use polyfill in their ported enclosures. This was my first slot port, first carpeted, first time working with mdf, and first one where I actually knew enough to make it the recommended volume and tuning exactly.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/tsenfw/DSC00312.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/tsenfw/DSC00307.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/tsenfw/DSC00331.jpg

That right there isn't the greatest box, but it's measured exactly to spec and isn't half bad for someones first attempt at that **** alone with NO local help and figuring that **** out strictly from help online. It's probably better than your second box, shittttt maybe even what you're rocking right now!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh wow, you have no idea who you're talking to.

Anyway, you really should take a minute, calm down, and realize that what you're posting makes little to no sense. You ask us to tell you about whether or not we use polyfill, and it's all situation based. We say that, you get mad. You ask a vague question comparing two independent things (SPL and sound quality) as the same thing, and we call you on it and get mad again. What are you actually looking for from this thread? You're insulting members like frosty who have more audio experience (not to mention the power to ban your *** forever) in an eyelash than you'll ever have, and then post pictures of something to prove your point which were taken with a 1896 bellows camera. Just step back and realize you're not only making zero sense, but are also asking to get a one-way ticket to Ban street.

JimJ
12-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Unless you've been on any other forums I'm on, I don't know you and you don't know me...so calling me a "douchebag" is pretty uncalled for.

Calling something an "all-around performer" is meaningless - either you have a substage that gets very loud, sounds very good, or some compromise in between - once again, your first statement is one that's confusing, because it can't happen. They're just mutually exclusive as was mentioned before. Decide what your goals are and go from there, but realize that you aren't going to get the best of every world. That's what I was pointing out.

It's probably better than your second box, shittttt maybe even what you're rocking right now!

Once again, you have no idea what I've done...:)

mrogowski
12-03-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm an all-around performer. My substage gets quite loud when it wants to and can really hit the lows - nice, tight, and fast. :)

IamDeMan
12-03-2007, 03:35 PM
I only used fill once in a ported and even then it wasn't poly. I used owens corning insulation. The only reason I used it for a ported in this instance was because the cabinet was a center channel and will reproduce more than bass. So I used it to eliminate gremlins, because I hear those green ****ers hate fiberglass insulation.

In a strictly sub bass cabinet it isn't needed unless you need it to give the effect that the enclosure is larger than it is. If you build the enclosure to spec, then why are you trying to make it behave bigger? Just make a bigger box!

IamDeMan
12-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Werd! Threaded inserts or T-nuts FTW.

IamDeMan
12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
That is probably the most fundamentally flawed sentence I've read in a while.

Sounds like he just wants it all dammit!

IamDeMan
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM

That right there isn't the greatest box, but it's measured exactly to spec and isn't half bad for someones first attempt at that **** alone with NO local help and figuring that **** out strictly from help online. It's probably better than your second box, shittttt maybe even what you're rocking right now!Don't be E-thuggin on my Frosty!

PV Audio
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Sounds like he just wants it all dammit!:naughty: So do I.

IamDeMan
12-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm an all-around performer. My substage gets quite loud when it wants to and can really hit the lows - nice, tight, and fast. :)

Fast bass = Treble :fyi:

tsenfw
12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh wow, you have no idea who you're talking to.

Anyway, you really should take a minute, calm down, and realize that what you're posting makes little to no sense. You ask us to tell you about whether or not we use polyfill, and it's all situation based. We say that, you get mad. You ask a vague question comparing two independent things (SPL and sound quality) as the same thing, and we call you on it and get mad again. What are you actually looking for from this thread? You're insulting members like frosty who have more audio experience (not to mention the power to ban your *** forever) in an eyelash than you'll ever have, and then post pictures of something to prove your point which were taken with a 1896 bellows camera. Just step back and realize you're not only making zero sense, but are also asking to get a one-way ticket to Ban street.

Dude, I don't give a fcuk who I was talking to or how much experience they have. He was still being a d-bag. Why post if you have nothing to add, and you just criticize people? I don't care if he bans me because that would be ridiculous. Why don't you go **** some more mod cawk.

Also, there is such a thing as compromise between SPL and SQ otherwise everyones system would sound like ****. You never heard someones daily driver that sounded pretty good but still got pretty **** loud? I may not be an expert in car audio but sounds like you have a lot to learn.

Unless you've been on any other forums I'm on, I don't know you and you don't know me...so calling me a "douchebag" is pretty uncalled for.

Calling something an "all-around performer" is meaningless - either you have a substage that gets very loud, sounds very good, or some compromise in between - once again, your first statement is one that's confusing, because it can't happen. They're just mutually exclusive as was mentioned before. Decide what your goals are and go from there, but realize that you aren't going to get the best of every world. That's what I was pointing out.
Once again, you have no idea what I've done...:)

Once again, I know I'm not getting the best of both worlds, see above. EXACTLY, I was looking for a compromise. I was basically asking (guess asked in a horrible way) would polyfill have characteristics to help me meet that compromise. I asked this because I've read on this forum that it can also get rid of a "hollow" sound of ported boxes. Anyways I now understand it only serves to make the box appear "bigger." SORRY for making a horrible poll lol.

No I don't know what you've done. From your replies I assumed you a noob because they were short, criticizing, and offered no experience or help. Sorry for calling a d-bag I guess, you were being kind a **** though lol. :p:

PV Audio
12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Dude, I don't give a fcuk who I was talking to or how much experience they have. He was still being a d-bag. Why post if you have nothing to add, and you just criticize people? I don't care if he bans me because that would be ridiculous. Why don't you go **** some more mod cawk.

Also, there is such a thing as compromise between SPL and SQ otherwise everyones system would sound like ****. You never heard someones daily driver that sounded pretty good but still got pretty **** loud? I may not be an expert in car audio but sounds like you have a lot to learn.

Once again, I know I'm not getting the best of both worlds, see above. EXACTLY, I was looking for a compromise. I was basically asking (guess asked in a horrible way) would polyfill have characteristics to help me meet that compromise. I asked this because I've read on this forum that it can also get rid of a "hollow" sound of ported boxes. Anyways I now understand it only serves to make the box appear "bigger." SORRY for making a horrible poll lol.

No I don't know what you've done. From your replies I assumed you a noob because they were short, criticizing, and offered no experience or help. Sorry for calling a d-bag I guess, you were being kind a **** though lol. :p::laugh: I've been needlessly banned more than anyone here, and you think I **** off the mods? Must be some ****** *** dome.

JimJ
12-03-2007, 04:09 PM
You never heard someones daily driver that sounded pretty good but still got pretty **** loud?

Sure, but in that case "getting loud" has absolutely nothing to do with the subwoofer(s).

It's much, much harder to have an undistorted front stage get loud that maintains a proper image, than to simply have loud subbass. You could have the best-installed midbasses and tweeters in the world, but if the sub doesn't blend it's not sounding "good" anymore.

Not really sure what you mean by a "hollow" sound, that sounds like something is off with either the enclosure specs or crossover points/slopes.

mrogowski
12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Fast bass = Treble :fyi:

Not when its coming out of my ***... :p:

PV Audio
12-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Not when its coming out of my ***... :p:Lemme tell you, my protein farts rival sounds whales make, son.

mrogowski
12-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Bet they smell like whales too...

tsenfw
12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Lemme tell you, my protein farts rival sounds whales make, son.

Hahaha I almost snarfed my coffee reading that!

Immacomputer
12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
The "hollow" sound of a ported enclosure is probably referring to a lack of low end extension. I know that a good amount below tuning, things sound "hollow" to me.

30hrtz
12-05-2007, 12:02 AM
my name is 30hrtz...and i use polyfill in my ported enclosures....lollololol!!!but seriously i do.it definatly helps soften or lower the tuning of an improperly tuned box.Or if the box is tuned right,the polyfill helps it sound not so "hollow"in some vehicles as someone already said.its cheap and east to use,dont make you itch and if you dont tell,nobody knows its in there....unless it starts blowing out of the port like a snow blower..lol,been there done that.the whole point of building your own box is to get the experience and pride(or embarrasment of the final outcome.I've built some pretty boxes that were bassless and some ugly crooked cutted, 5 tubers of liquid nails boxes that hit like nobodies business.Im a lil better at it now but its still an anxious time when its all done and you put in the disc to see how it sounds.anyways,dude put the pillow stuffing in and see,if its no good take it out.2.68$ a bag at wally world.have fun.

tsenfw
12-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Thanks, guys you cleared up a lot of questions I had. As Imdaman mentioned, I built to spec so I should be good. I'll start with nothing in there and experiment. See what the claw mag likes!

I'll try to make less ****** polls in the future :laugh:

audioholic
12-05-2007, 05:25 AM
While polyfil can be used in a ported enclosure, its not necessary unless the enclosure was built wrong, or needed a compromise in the design phase. Poly rarely makes much more than barely audible differences anyway. *shrug* Everything else is just bickering.

Oh, and if you do use poly in a ported box, cover the port with a grill to keep the stuff inside the box. ;)

Audio Master
12-05-2007, 05:36 AM
yup lined the box with it and also my kicks made the kicks sound heaps better