PDA

View Full Version : Which of these mids have the most midbass punch?

grampi
11-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Illusion Audio Luccent LM-6

Diamond Hex 6.5

Orion HCCA 6.2

JBL P650C

Gary S
11-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey grampi... I have looked at some of your posts lately... if you are going to run your JL tweets and crossover or go active, and simply need some shallow midbasses... why don't you call Critical Mass and see if their mids from their comp sets would be in your price range... I know they can sell direct, maybe the mids are available separately. Those things are super shallow, but they are new technology and have tons of midbass, especially if you set your high pass crossover lower than normal.

If those are out of the question... if the illusion audio are the models with the neo magnet sticking out in front, I'd go with those.

Gary S
11-30-2007, 08:31 PM
I was just thinking... MTX TXC might have a separate midbass available that would fit... TXC6.0 - supposed to be 2.25" depth.

Gary S
11-30-2007, 08:34 PM
I have some kicker ss midbass's for sale.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274236

- That's another great option... the separate shallow mount midbass drivers are 2" deep.

T3mpest
11-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Illusion Audio Luccent LM-6

Diamond Hex 6.5

Orion HCCA 6.2

JBL P650C

how much depth do you have to work with?

grampi
12-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Hey grampi... I have looked at some of your posts lately... if you are going to run your JL tweets and crossover or go active, and simply need some shallow midbasses... why don't you call Critical Mass and see if their mids from their comp sets would be in your price range... I know they can sell direct, maybe the mids are available separately. Those things are super shallow, but they are new technology and have tons of midbass, especially if you set your high pass crossover lower than normal.

If those are out of the question... if the illusion audio are the models with the neo magnet sticking out in front, I'd go with those.

Some folks over in diymobileaudio.com actually purchased some of the Illusions (they're only $45 a pair shipped) and said they lacked midbass. Never heard of Critical Mass. They have a web site?

Louisiana_CRX
12-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Earthquake shallow mount 6.5 subs have some awesome midbass :)

grampi
12-01-2007, 12:16 AM
- That's another great option... the separate shallow mount midbass drivers are 2" deep.

Three questions; how's the SQ, how's the punch, and will 75 wrms be enough to run them efficiently?

grampi
12-01-2007, 12:17 AM
how much depth do you have to work with?

2.3"

grampi
12-01-2007, 02:26 AM
I was just thinking... MTX TXC might have a separate midbass available that would fit... TXC6.0 - supposed to be 2.25" depth.

Those things are expensive! $189 for MTX? And that's just for the mids. Usually MTX speakers can be had for next to nothing. I wonder why these are so pricey?

Gary S
12-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Well, if you think the MTX are expensive, don't even look at the Critical Mass.

The MTX are new last year, a new high line.... they have 4.8 MM X-max... the trick with them to get more midbass, is to drop the high-pass lower than normal, around 60HZ, to get them moving. you can put 150 - 225 watts on them. Excellent sound quality for a midbass heavy driver (they have a big coil). Not an efficient way to do it... but efficiency and midbass really don't go together well. If you would not consider more power, the Orion is looking pretty good right now... that foam surround and rigid dust cap should be more efficient as far as midbass, but not much... but the MTX would pass them on higher power.

I'm sorry, the Kicker won't work in a two-way system, 3-way only... response is only to 500HZ... it's strictly midbass, no midrange. You need something that plays up to around 3,000HZ at least.

Flipx99
12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
The Hertz Space line is super shallow. I have about 2.3" as well in my S-10. I run the 8" version.

grampi
12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Well, if you think the MTX are expensive, don't even look at the Critical Mass.

The MTX are new last year, a new high line.... they have 4.8 MM X-max... the trick with them to get more midbass, is to drop the high-pass lower than normal, around 60HZ, to get them moving. you can put 150 - 225 watts on them. Excellent sound quality for a midbass heavy driver (they have a big coil). Not an efficient way to do it... but efficiency and midbass really don't go together well. If you would not consider more power, the Orion is looking pretty good right now... that foam surround and rigid dust cap should be more efficient as far as midbass, but not much... but the MTX would pass them on higher power.

I'll have to look into the Illusions and Kicker more.

I don't want to upgrade my amp, so I'm looking for mids that would also be the most efficient running off of 75 wrms. The MTXs, and probably the Kickers as well would probably be better suited with at least 150 wrms each. I'm guessing 75wrms would give them no headroom whatsoever.

bikinpunk
12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I'd like to hear some of your guys' version of midbass...

Make sure you treat your door VERY well. Otherwise you're pissing in the wind.

Anyway, Dyn mw162's get my vote. I'm running these to 71hz with a 12db slope and they blend very well with my sub-bass.

Flipx99
12-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Those are too deep.

The GTs would probably work though

bikinpunk
12-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Those are too deep.

The GTs would probably work though

Didn't even read the initial post. *d'oh

Yea, the GT's might work.

OP, why only 2.3" depth? Are you not going to run a baffle?

Gary S
12-01-2007, 01:15 PM
If you are looking for midbass, I'd upgrade the amp... even the orion's would work better from 110 - 150 watts, depending on your high-pass setting.

Shallow mount, low price, low power, mondo midbass... you are looking for a miracle.

What amp do you have, what make and model?

But I never give up either, LOL!

What about going bigger, like over-sized 6.75" - 7", if it were available... could you do that? That would give you more efficiency/midbass.

And here is something else... what about a 6X9" if it was shallow enough? 15% more piston area = more efficiency and midbass.

Hey, I'm trying!

grampi
12-02-2007, 04:28 PM
If you are looking for midbass, I'd upgrade the amp... even the orion's would work better from 110 - 150 watts, depending on your high-pass setting.

Shallow mount, low price, low power, mondo midbass... you are looking for a miracle.

What amp do you have, what make and model?

But I never give up either, LOL!

What about going bigger, like over-sized 6.75" - 7", if it were available... could you do that? That would give you more efficiency/midbass.

And here is something else... what about a 6X9" if it was shallow enough? 15% more piston area = more efficiency and midbass.

Hey, I'm trying!

You are trying, and very hard I might add. I appreciate it. I guess everything is relative, but I don't think 75 wrms is low power. It should be plenty of power to run a set of comps, and run them well. I'm really not looking for a miracle speaker, just one that does what it's supposed to do. I'm also not really looking for MONDO midbass, I just want it there like it should be. My JL XR mids had absolutely no midbass whatsoever, but to be fair, I didn't do anything to the doors before I mounted them. No deadening, so sealing, I just mounted them. Their poor midbass performance could be completely due to my not doing anything with the doors. I plan to deaden and seal my doors this time around, so I expect my midbass perfromance to be much better regardless of which speakers I end up choosing. I don't want to go with oversized or 6X9 speakers because as I said earlier, I want to keep the speakers under the stock door panel.

grampi
12-02-2007, 06:02 PM
This place has been kinda slow lately. Where is everybody?