PDA

View Full Version : Door Panel Question

Propimp
11-30-2007, 12:39 PM
So i am about to fiberglass 2 sets of Diamond Audio D6 in each door pannel, after all said and done and it comes time to wrap it, I want to take the door panel apart. (it comes in 2 pieces) They are attatched by what looks like melted plastic, afet I break that loose what can i reatach it with?

ramos
11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Got any pics ? I try to use some sort of fastener, and build in for the use of it. Hard to say with out actually looking at something :(

audiobahnuser18
11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
u mean the pop pins basically that are on the back of the door panels?

bryce-man
11-30-2007, 12:47 PM
it should pop out nd then pop back in

ramos
11-30-2007, 12:47 PM
I believe he's talking about the molded in plastic pins. THey are just a piece of plastic until they attach the two pieces of the door panel. Plastic pin goes through the hole on the other piece of the panel , then it's melted to tighten down on the little ring :)

audiobahnuser18
11-30-2007, 12:52 PM
If you get a door panel popper tool it will save you those pins on the back of the door panel and u can re use them.

audioarsonal
11-30-2007, 12:53 PM
You can get a high temp heat gun and use mellted urythan to re-attach it.

WrenchGuy
11-30-2007, 12:56 PM
I think hes talking the insert ones. Here's a little trick for plastic weld. (dont tell anyone) Use your little propane torch and the kind of plastic for Antifreeze jugs, oil quarts, etc. Melt that over the seam and drip where your welding it works! I was gonna buy a $200 ABS welder but this works for those quick fixes.

ramos
11-30-2007, 12:57 PM
It really depends though. THe plastic rivits were meant to hold the pretty light weight piece of plastic. Not a large modded fiberglass panel. If at all possible, I try to build most door pods to the doors themselves. Then modify the the upper portion a little to fit cleanly with the new. It renders a much sturdier final product on a door that's gonna be opened and closed a lot over it's lifetime :)

ramos
11-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I think hes talking the insert ones. Here's a little trick for plastic weld. (dont tell anyone) Use your little propane torch and the kind of plastic for Antifreeze jugs, oil quarts, etc. Melt that over the seam and drip where your welding it works! I was gonna buy a $200 ABS welder but this works for those quick fixes.

You can also save the pieces of some kinds of plastics and dissolve them with MEK to make a plastic sludge that works quite well too. Used to use it before they came out with liwuid plastics . :)

Propimp
12-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Thats what it is ramos, what you described, and they will have some weight with 2 sets in each door.