PDA

View Full Version : sealed vs ported

chillin
11-29-2007, 05:27 AM
I have read a few times that sealed boxes can be heard farther away, outside of the car. I know in general there is more spl from a ported box, so this doesnt make sense to me.

I dont want to be heard blocks away, I was just wondering the reason for this (if it is true).

JLJunkieMX107
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
There have been many threads about sealed vs ported. The search button is your friend:search:

jdc753
11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
The very first sticky in this section is titled the same as the thread you made. I would suggest reading it.

Essentially ported gives greater output versus sealed. I would venture to say that for sound quality sealed is better however many have built ported boxes with very good results as far as sound quality goes. Really if your looking to be heard for miles up the road or just to ge the absolute most out of your subs than ported would be good for you, but if your tight on space sealed will win out as ported boxes tend to be nearly double the size of their sealed counterparts.

SoundBarrier
11-29-2007, 12:36 PM
sealed=tighter cleaner sound, also more efficient

ported=higher output better chace for distortion

audioarsonal
11-29-2007, 12:40 PM
SPL doesn't have to do with the "loudness" it is about pressure.

DBfan187
11-29-2007, 12:44 PM

ported=higher output better chace for distortionported will always be more efficient. both have the same chance for distortion.

audiobahnuser18
11-29-2007, 01:04 PM
I would say search also man but im bout to help ya out. cause i know how it is even if you do search and sometime's don't understand. There are many diffrent boxes that you can build ported , aero ports or sealed all used for diffrent purposes and depending on what sub/subs you are using is what type of box you want to use also. Some subs are aimed toward SPL , SPL= sound pressure Level or some subs aimed more towards SQ which is sound quality. now if you tune a box really high in a ported box say u tuned a ported box around 40hz that would be like a competition box for SPL but if you were a daily driver a good tuning point for a ported box would be like 32hz or 35hz . Because that way your playing music on those sub's not just bass tones . that should explain it a little bit man hope that help's ya but im also with everyone man search on here im still learning new information from this forums every day just such a great forum and even better people on this forum to always help ya out:D.

Immacomputer
11-29-2007, 02:37 PM

What??

Ported or sealed has nothing to do with being heard outside the vehicle; that has to do with the output levels, the frequency, and the vehicle.

Going ported vs sealed should depend on the driver being used, the space available, and the desired frequency response from the system. All these factors are important and no one greater than the other.

PV Audio
11-29-2007, 03:25 PM

ported=higher output better chace for distortion100% of this quote is incorrect. Don't even bother reading it.

newusername
11-29-2007, 03:39 PM
SPL doesn't have to do with the "loudness" it is about pressure.

Where do you think the loudness comes from? Pressure. It's the same thing.

This thread is already rife with misinformation, but if your goal is to be loud outside of the vehicle, you have to be loud inside the vehicle first and going ported will usually give you an advantage in that respect.

Dozy_production
11-29-2007, 03:43 PM

dont give out any more advice :nono:

chillin
11-30-2007, 03:52 AM
Thanks for all the posts saying search. I know what the difference is between sealed and ported for sound. I was just wondering because I have seen a few members write that a sealed box would be heard farther away and that didnt make much sense to me since they usually dont have the same spl.

bdawson72
11-30-2007, 03:53 AM
Thanks for all the posts saying search. I know what the difference is between sealed and ported for sound. I was just wondering because I have seen a few members write that a sealed box would be heard farther away and that didnt make much sense to me since they usually dont have the same spl.

Dont ever listen to anything that they have to say.

PV Audio
11-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks for all the posts saying search. I know what the difference is between sealed and ported for sound. I was just wondering because I have seen a few members write that a sealed box would be heard farther away and that didnt make much sense to me since they usually dont have the same spl.Anyone talking about being heard outside the car, outside of drive-by competitors, are not true car audio fans. Anyone with a good system would NOT want to advertise that they have something to steal.

Jdizzle
11-30-2007, 08:01 AM
go ported

and lemans/pv audio is the freakin man