unkNN
11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi,

This is my current setup:
HU: Alpine CDA-9855
Front: Boston Acoustics SX65
Rear: Infinity Reference 6012si

I want to upgrade and I'm thinking about two things:

First, which I don't even know if it's logical (my knowledge is very limited when it comes to car audio):
-Buy some decent tweeters (is this even logical with coaxial speakers?)
-Buy an amp (either 2chan or 4chan)

OR

-Buy a component set
-Sell SX65s
-Buy an amp (again, either 2chan or 4chan)

Again, my knowledge and know-how with car audio is pretty limited. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction. :D

genxx
11-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Buy a comp set first, then if you feel you need to upgrade next would be an amp.IMO

Gary S
11-29-2007, 08:54 AM
The basic foundation of all great car systems starts with the bi-amped subwoofer/satellite system. This can be as simple as adding a single 4 or 5 channel amplifier and one or more subwoofers in a box in the rear (depending on vehicle) to your existing system. You already have aftermarket speakers to handle the extra power, and a head unit with RCA's/pre-outs, you are ready for the upgrade.

Front channels of the amp are high-passed with the amp's crossovers and connect to your coaxes. Rear channels are low-passed to the sub(s). Because the speakers/sub operate in a narrower bandwidth and have more power, the whole system will be clearer, more dynamic, have more extended frequency response, and will be able to get louder... huge difference on all fronts.

I would do this before upgrading to comps, it will sound much better.

unkNN
12-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I should have mentioned that I have subs... anyways here's my full setup:

2 Infinity Kappa Perfects 12.1
-Alpine MRP-M650
2 Boston Acoustics SX65 (Front)
2 Infinity 6012si (Back)
Alpine CDA-9855

Right now I think that I will get a 4 channel amp and see how I feel about the sound once it's all installed. If I think that I want to upgrade still, I'll look into components for the front. If not (or if I just don't want to spend the money), I'll just leave it with the amp upgrade only.

Does that sound OK?

Tonyguy
12-01-2007, 06:28 PM
you'll definitely need a 4 channel amp.