PDA

View Full Version : How do kicker L7's sound small ported

DarkFox
11-27-2007, 01:46 AM
OK, I am a big advocate of LARGE ported boxes with alot of port area.

As it sits now, i just traded in my car (the one from the mustang work log) and need the space in my new car for work stuff. so heres my question.

How does the small ported sound.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know its not the best enclosure, and I don't want assumptions. I have never done it but can already tell in general terms, its not as efficient and wont drop as hard or low as a appropriate sized box.

That said, how would it sound compared to a sealed counterpart of similar volume stuffed with polly.

I got 2 12" L7s and a 2kW Hifonics amp carrying over from old system, just want to know if I should go sealed, or the low end of the recommended ported from kicker.

Towlieee
11-27-2007, 01:50 AM
How small would you be looking at making your box?

A friend of mine had a 15" L7 in 3 cubes at 35hz, and it sounded 'aight' but was too punchy and not deep enough IMO

But Im not really a car audio guru, and all I really have to compare with is my 15" L7 in 4 cubes at 30hz, which I like the sound of a lot better

DarkFox
11-27-2007, 01:57 AM
MAX dimentions are 41 1/2 X 15 X 14

so internal leaves me about 3.9^3 ft, then subtract ports and woofers and you see my concern.

But the same space, either sealed or ported

DarkFox
11-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Just playing around with the numbers, best it looked like I can do ported, ended up with 3.3^3 ft after all other displacements, with a 13.5" x 2.5" port, 16.2" long (35hz)

From the looks of it will be slightly lower tuned and more output then a sealed counterpart. But I know real world turns out a little different then on this graph. But thats what just the enclosure difference looks like anyway. If it helps, going in a hatched car.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6989/newboxesyb6.png

note: its 1:30 in the morning here, its late, I may have made some mistakes ;-)
Not the first time dilemma with the system has kept me up at night.