PDA

View Full Version : Sand inside box?

SRim23
11-27-2007, 01:44 AM
so i was watching some of the Unique Whips marathon friday on speed and i caught the pilot episode they showed....

at the end they just made a fiberglass box for gilbert arenas. just before remy put the subs in he poured what looked to be sand (could of also been plaster or something of that sort. some powder that came out of a brown bag.) he said something like it would make the box more dense......

now car audio is just a hobby to me and ive never made my own enclosure but ive never seen this before. and it would seem to me it might be bad for the subs...wouldnt the sand get inside the voice coil and cause problems or inside the sub in general... just curious.

W8 a minute
11-27-2007, 02:52 AM
I've heard of people putting sand BETWEEN two sides of the box. Like insulation in an igloo cooler. Small box inside a big box with sand insulating them from each other.

It might have also been a thickening agent for the fiberglass.

Hard to say without knowing where he exactly put it.

SRim23
11-27-2007, 03:12 AM
I've heard of people putting sand BETWEEN two sides of the box. Like insulation in an igloo cooler. Small box inside a big box with sand insulating them from each other.

It might have also been a thickening agent for the fiberglass.

Hard to say without knowing where he exactly put it.

literally box inside truck, poured the bag of whatever it was directly inside where the sub was going, mounted sub immediately after pouring.....literally directly in the box, not a box inside of the box, next to the box, but inside the sub enclosure itself.

Louisiana_CRX
11-27-2007, 03:22 AM
being filmed there may of been a time delay in what he actually did....but knowing that Reme is one of the best installers in the country...I'm sure what he did was something needed :)

SRim23
11-27-2007, 03:46 AM
being filmed there may of been a time delay in what he actually did....but knowing that Reme is one of the best installers in the country...I'm sure what he did was something needed :)

yeah i was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of it before....i mean id rule out that he was doing prep work for the box or anything because it was already painted and mounted in the car. he literally poured the stuff in the boxes while it was in the vehicle....

this was their "pilot episode" thats never been seen before this friday when they were in their old building, maybe reme wasnt so great back then lol the entire staff in the episode was reme, chet, and wills brother mounting wheels and tires lol and reme had to call lamborghini to ask them where the battery was in the car lol was rather funny

audioarsonal
11-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Those crazy guys from unique!!!!!