PDA

View Full Version : Best Speakers for under 150 a pair

Tiiimay
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm looking to redo the speakers in my truck. I've already dumped some money into subs, now its time i actually got around to the speakers. I have about 150 a set to spend, and i want to get the best i can get. price is less important than quality. The doors are 6 3/4, which is a bit of a hassle, and the dash are 4x6. Ive thought about converting the dash to 6.5's if its worth it. I was thinking about Alpine R's or Infinity Kappa's, but i really don't know what the good quality brands are in speakers. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. I mostly need to learn what the good brands are in speakers. Ive searched a bunch but it hasn't been very helpful.

DejaWiz
11-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Where are the mids in the doors located? Up near the front or back towards the rear?

tcguy85
11-26-2007, 08:50 PM
look into the phoenix gold RSD's

Tiiimay
11-26-2007, 09:50 PM
they're on the front bottom of the door. theres no speakers in the back section. i have an extended cab s-10. the 4x6 are in the top of the dash pointed to the windshield.

tbasile1
11-26-2007, 09:50 PM
look into the phoenix gold RSD's

x2

also the Pioneer REV comps would be a good choice

Tiiimay
11-26-2007, 09:51 PM
also whats a good site to get speakers from? ive used onlinecarstero.com, but they don't have some of the better brands that get talked about on here.

22mountaineer
11-26-2007, 09:54 PM
You may get lucky and find a pair here in the classifieds, they go for about 1/2 price on here, but make sure you get a reputable seller.. Been alot of scamming going on. Make sure they have alot of refs to back them up. So far I have had GREAT transactions *knock on wood*

22mountaineer
11-26-2007, 09:55 PM
If you do convert to 6.5's here are some polk doors, mine are pretty nice..

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273400

JimJ
11-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Tweets in the 4x6's spot, midbasses in the doors, run them active with a four-channel amp...don't go with pre-assembled component sets for that budget.

Tiiimay
11-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Would that still sound ok though? or should i get 2 sets of components and replace the 4x6? i don't know anything about components. Are they hard to install? i build my own sub boxes and did everything else on my install so i'm fairly confident, ive just never looked into it.

Gary S
11-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Forget about the 4X6", get Cerwin Vega V-Max-65, $160 shipped from onlinecarstereo.com

They are listed in the wrong category, you have to search for them.

If your factory holes take over-sized 6.75"... I believe the vega's are the more common 6.5" size... you'll have to buy a mounting/spacer ring to fill the hole... or make one from 1/4" MDF wood... easy to do, very common, lots of info on the web about it.

Tiiimay
11-27-2007, 04:03 PM
alright thanks i'll look into those. i'll have no problem making mdf spacers. im going to want to do some modification anyways for some dampening. i saw a thread about using egg carton foam mounted behind the speaker that im going to look into. anyone done that?

DejaWiz
11-27-2007, 05:32 PM
alright thanks i'll look into those. i'll have no problem making mdf spacers. im going to want to do some modification anyways for some dampening. i saw a thread about using egg carton foam mounted behind the speaker that im going to look into. anyone done that?

Lots of people have. Just make sure to treat both the foam and mdf so that the elements don't adversely affect them and harbor mold/mildew and propagate rotting.

Tiiimay
11-27-2007, 08:52 PM
so its looking like im getting 2 sets of components then. so where would be a good place to put my tweeters? i was thinking the corner of the a-pilar and my dash for the dash speakers, but where for the doors? would it sound good with the tweeters behind the passengers by a little? to give a bit of surround since its a truck?

DejaWiz
11-27-2007, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't recommend 2 sets of comps. Take the money you're going to spend on 2 sets and get 1 really get set instead. Install and power them properly and the results will be outstanding.

Tiiimay
11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
so mid speaker in the door and tweeter by the a-pilar would be a good set up?

DejaWiz
11-27-2007, 10:01 PM
so mid speaker in the door and tweeter by the a-pilar would be a good set up?

Indeed it would. Should image fairly well that way.

Tiiimay
11-27-2007, 10:18 PM
so if i mount the speaker in the door and the tweeter by the a-pilar that would be a good set up? i know nothing about positioning things.

DejaWiz
11-27-2007, 10:30 PM
so if i mount the speaker in the door and the tweeter by the a-pilar that would be a good set up? i know nothing about positioning things.

It would certainly be a great starting point. Best way to experiment with tweeter placement is use longer speaker wires to them and some double stick tape to temporarily position them in various locations in order to determine where they sound best to you.

Tiiimay
11-27-2007, 11:45 PM
that sounds easy enough. so are those cerwin vega's real sick speakers? i want to get some nice ones if im only getting one set. lets say up to 200 bucks.

tee
11-27-2007, 11:51 PM
x2

also the Pioneer REV comps would be a good choice
Oh yes they are.

Gary S
11-28-2007, 05:05 AM
that sounds easy enough. so are those cerwin vega's real sick speakers? i want to get some nice ones if im only getting one set. lets say up to 200 bucks.

- Outrageous sound. That's my favorite set under $500 right now.

Tiiimay
11-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Pioneer REV comps, phoenix gold RSD's, Cerwin Vega V-Max-65 have all been recomended. The vmax-65 aren't components however. what about the v-max 5? looks like the same thing except components. but they are 5 1/4". i think id prefer something in the 6" range, but im making adapter plates either way so i supose that doesnt matter. The REV comps are 5.25, and the phoenix gold come in a 6.5" but only handle 50w which seems alittle weak. Whats the best set to go with?

DejaWiz
11-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Pioneer REV comps, phoenix gold RSD's, Cerwin Vega V-Max-65 have all been recomended. The vmax-65 aren't components however. what about the v-max 5? looks like the same thing except components. but they are 5 1/4". i think id prefer something in the 6" range, but im making adapter plates either way so i supose that doesnt matter. The REV comps are 5.25, and the phoenix gold come in a 6.5" but only handle 50w which seems alittle weak. Whats the best set to go with?

Forget rated power. As long as the power is clean (unclipped/undistorted), a good speaker can typically handle much more than what the manufacturer rates it as.

And to clarify for you:
The VMax-65 is a 6.5" convertible component set. The VMax-5 is the 5.25" variant.

The PG RSd's can easily handle power from an amp in which the gains are set to deliver 2x150w rms.

Tiiimay
11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
alright well i think i'll go with the cerwin Vega's then. Thanks DejaWiz youve been very helpfull and definatly seem to know your stuff. Any particular amp youd recomend for these? I have a Hifonics running my sub, and i know theres alot of contraversy around them but i find it's excelent for the price. Would that be a good choice for speakers? I'm thinking i might want something know more for clean power however.

DejaWiz
11-28-2007, 03:11 PM
alright well i think i'll go with the Cerwin Vega's then. Thanks DejaWiz you've been very helpful and definitely seem to know your stuff. Any particular amp you'd recommend for these? I have a Hifonics running my sub, and i know theres a lot of controversy around them but i find it's excellent for the price. Would that be a good choice for speakers? I'm thinking i might want something know more for clean power however.

Got a budget in mind for an amp? Are you wanting a 2 channel for running the fronts through the passive crossovers or a 4 channel for either running them active or for 2 sets of speakers?

Tiiimay
11-28-2007, 03:37 PM
i honestly dont know what i want, or what the difference really is. thats what i was going to stay away from components. What would be the better way to go? My budget is what ever it takes to make these speakers work to there fullest.

UCF52
11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
i honestly dont know what i want, or what the difference really is. thats what i was going to stay away from components. What would be the better way to go? My budget is what ever it takes to make these speakers work to there fullest.

Profile makes great budget amps... This (http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap1000.html) one would work well.

mapolley07
11-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Phoenix Gold RSd comps for the win......$129 shipped from onlinecarstereo.com, authorized, full warranty. I have a set of them in my car running of 80 watts RMS.....they sound excellent for the money. I would like to have them running off of more like 120 RMS though

mapolley07
11-28-2007, 03:48 PM
oh, and I forgot, i'll vouch for profile amps, they are pretty good, very clean power. I have a profile ap1040 running my front comps and rear fill

Tiiimay
11-29-2007, 12:59 AM
wow thats a great deal on an amp 85$ is a steal. thats a good quality amp though? ive never heard of them.

Gary S
11-29-2007, 08:07 AM
That's why we recommend them, they are a great value.

bdawson72
11-29-2007, 08:23 AM
I honestly dont like profile and wouldnt use it.

But some people actually like them.

Tiiimay
11-29-2007, 11:17 AM
what dont you like about it? I want nothing but quality coming out of these speakers. Do you have any other recomendations? im pumped to get this stuff in my car over winter break. my system will finaly be complete.

DejaWiz
11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Another viable option would be the Kenwood KAX-X20 (http://www.millionbuy.com/kenkacx20.html). 2x180w with 14.4V input. They've been getting decent reviews.

Gary S
11-29-2007, 12:41 PM
http://www.midwestelectronics.com/blaupunkt-va2200-p-86.html

DejaWiz
11-29-2007, 12:51 PM
http://www.midwestelectronics.com/blaupunkt-va2200-p-86.html

Holy crap have they dropped the price on that big time. Six months ago it was around $200, iirc.

Couple of comments regarding the Velocity amps:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19178

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5088

Tiiimay
11-29-2007, 08:48 PM
that profile is still a ****en steal. can anyone vouch for there quality? i dont want something ******, but thats a **** good deal. The kenwood isnt looking so bad either. but will there be a difference between the two?

95BlackGA
11-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Holy crap have they dropped the price on that big time. Six months ago it was around $200, iirc.

Couple of comments regarding the Velocity amps:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19178

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5088

These amps are great. My buddy is letting me use his until I find a permanent amp, and I'm liking it so far. I've only had it about a week, and have used the car maybe 3-4 days, so not much listening time so far. For the price, I think I may pick one of these up for good.

blacksatsc2
11-29-2007, 09:03 PM
boston acoustics

UCF52
11-30-2007, 12:07 AM
that profile is still a ****en steal. can anyone vouch for there quality? i dont want something ******, but thats a **** good deal. The kenwood isnt looking so bad either. but will there be a difference between the two?

I haven't had any personal experience with them, but when I was looking for a budget amp I did a lot of searching and didn't find any bad reviews on them - and quite a few nice reviews. Maybe somebody with some personal experience will chime in.

Tiiimay
11-30-2007, 01:34 PM
im hearing alot of good things. i'll probably go with that. that just means more money i can put into home audio haha

Tiiimay
12-02-2007, 12:45 PM
i have an intresting idea, tell me if its just plain stupid though. Since im getting one set of comps, and replacing my doors with that, would it be to my advantage to leave the front speakers in, and maybe fade to the comps more, so the dash has alittle full range, and the tweets, and the midbass in the doors? or should i just scrap them

UCF52
12-02-2007, 01:42 PM
i have an intresting idea, tell me if its just plain stupid though. Since im getting one set of comps, and replacing my doors with that, would it be to my advantage to leave the front speakers in, and maybe fade to the comps more, so the dash has alittle full range, and the tweets, and the midbass in the doors? or should i just scrap them

You could always try it out, but I would just scrap them. RSd's + 150w a side = Plenty.

tcguy85
12-02-2007, 02:26 PM
^x2

Tiiimay
12-24-2007, 08:19 PM
so ive got a set of cerwin vegas in my garage now, install has been a serious pain so far. Mostly making the mid woofer fit in the stock location. I was wondering, where do most people mount the crossovers? i was thinking under the seat with my amp maybe? i haven't planned it out much yet, and im still waiting on my amp.

Etac
12-25-2007, 02:43 AM
i can tell you this much
dont put the crossovers in the door like this one car shop did for me when i had them do my installation.. they rusted to ****...

Tiiimay
12-25-2007, 03:36 PM
haha thats deffinatly a good word of advice. I think I'm going with under the seat. Also i need to wire another amp along with my sub amp. Should i run another wire from the battery? I've heard people talk about running a real low gauge from the battery then splitting off to the two amps. would that be a good way to go?

Tiiimay
12-29-2007, 04:26 PM
So i have one final question i could use some help on. My V-max crossovers have a woofer input + and - , and a tweeter input + - . and then outputs for both as i would expect. But i only have one set of inputs per crossover (the one that went to the stock speaker) so what do i do? I've had it hooked up off my headunit through the woofer input, and it sounds fine. i havent tried the tweeter one. I'm almost done installing my amp and i dont want to have any wiring wrong once i run some power through. Anyone follow what im talking about? the manual is **** near useless.

Firmbiz94
12-29-2007, 06:35 PM
im not sure if i understand your question but if your talking about the crossover inputs and outputs..there should only be one input and 2 outputss..the crossover will allocate the power you give it to the mid bass and the tweet...in my car i placed the crossover behind the plastic molding right where the wire came through the door into the cabin(kind of where your left foot would be if your driving...) ...on both sides..i found a flat area and i kind of just velcroed it there so i could move it if i wanted to...so far it hasnt moved and i have no problems with it..

Firmbiz94
12-29-2007, 06:38 PM
ok i just read your pst a lil closer..so your crossover have an input and an output for both tweets and midbasses.. all the ones ive ever dealt with had only one input..i guessif you have a four channel amp use two of the channels for the mid bass and two for the tweets...that ***** if you wanted to bridge your amp

Tiiimay
12-30-2007, 01:07 AM
no i have a two channel amp. It doesnt make sense to me. its a cerwin vega v-max. I've hooked it up to the woofer input and it works fine but i dont get it.

Gary S
12-30-2007, 12:52 PM
It has biamp inputs.

Take the crossover cover off and see if there is a biamp switch... or it might have jumpers. It's probably set for a single input from the W- W+ terminals.

If you have not hooked it up permanently yet, run two sets of wires from the amp, one pair for the tweeter inputs, one for woofer inputs. This is called bi-wire. Might sound better and besides, speaker wire is inexpensive.

Hintzyboy
12-30-2007, 06:32 PM
It's a bit more than you are looking at, but you can pick up the Rainbow SLC 265 Kicks for $260 shipped from www.premier-audio.com. Just enter the coupon code "forumcmx" durring checkout and it will take $59 off the advertised price. These are a very nice set that will make you a happy man.

See:
http://i16.tinypic.com/87bvbrd.jpg