PDA

View Full Version : Front and rear comps?

07ramjam
11-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Would it be overkill to have a comp set in the front and the rear?If you all think so,why? I mean, if you have a nice amp wouldnt the sound just be all that much better??

Gary S
11-25-2007, 08:46 PM
That's an OEM thing. Unless you are sending a rear channel surround signal to rear speakers, you are better off with fronts only... running rears in stereo will hurt the front sound stage and imaging. Do a search on rear fill, you will find many others who say the same thing.

You would be better off getting better front comps for the front, better speaker placement, or more damping/ better install, depending on what you need.

07ramjam
11-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Ok that sounds reasonable.Thanks for the reply.

gijoe
11-26-2007, 02:09 AM
This question always boils down to your personal goal. If you are trying to accomplish an sq system, you probably wont want rears. Like Gary S said, it'll kill your staging and imaging. But if you are just looking for a nice clean, loud system put some coax's in the back and you'll be happy.

SRim23
11-26-2007, 02:26 AM
my girlfriend has 2 sets of type r comps in front and rear of her car and the highs get pretty harsh at times......as long as ur not talking an suv or have alot of rear passengers(or frankly dont give a **** about them lol) then just put more money into your fronts....from what i hear if properly imaged it could sound good for the rears as well if you only have fronts....

in my civic i only have fronts and due to the fact its a small car and i dont really have back seat passengers it sounds very good.

Louisiana_CRX
11-26-2007, 02:31 AM
You don't need highs in the rear...maybe a good midbass or midrange with low power (deck) for rear fill...nothing more or you'll end up with crap SQ

mdillon
11-26-2007, 02:39 AM
no rear tweets. rear fill mids are usually ok. run them slightly lower gain than front. like the old school dolby surround speakers you could barely hear in a movie.