PDA

View Full Version : Polk Audio db6500 - any good?

grampi
11-25-2007, 05:52 PM
These are the only comps I've found so far I'd be willing to consider. They have a very shallow mounting depth of only 2" (my car only allows for a paltry 2.3" of mounting depth) and will fit in my stock doors (and under the door panel too). Anyone here heard them? How do they sound? I have Polk speakers for my HT system and they sound very nice.

tcguy85
11-25-2007, 05:54 PM
i thought you were considering the rsd's?

07ramjam
11-25-2007, 06:13 PM
I didnt like them at all.To me they sounded very flat.I can only base that thought on listening to them at Circuit City.My wife was with me too,and she felt the same way and she knows nothing about speakers.

Why are these the only ones your considering? I know MB makes a shallow depth comp set too,you might look into that one.

cam5860
11-25-2007, 06:41 PM
I got a set of the new DB 6501 that I just took out my truck. They are not that great. They sound okay at moderate levels but try to turn them up much and they distort and the tweeters go out from the tweeter protection in the crossover. The thing that **** me off the most was the crossovers are cheap as hell. If you could biamp them I'd say get them but if you use that crossover all you get is distortion and tweeters going out on you all the time when you turn the volume up. Oh yeah by the way I was running a kenwood excelon amp on them 70x4 RMS if you have any doubts what i'm hearing. And I had them crossover at 100 hertz. Theres a lot better to be had for 200 bucks I promise you that.

wong05tsx
11-25-2007, 06:43 PM
i got the coaxles in my rear doors, i agree they dont sound that great but its just a little rear fill for the passengers in the back so i can care less. but only paid 50$ for them so what the hay

grampi
11-25-2007, 07:17 PM
I didnt like them at all.To me they sounded very flat.I can only base that thought on listening to them at Circuit City.My wife was with me too,and she felt the same way and she knows nothing about speakers.

Why are these the only ones your considering? I know MB makes a shallow depth comp set too,you might look into that one.

Because there's only been a couple others that have the shallow depth mids I need and I've read nothing but bad things about them. Every MB set of comps I've ever heard has had extremely harsh tweets, and IMO they're all overpriced. I really think my best bet is to just find a pair of shallow midrange drivers to replace the one's I have. I can use the tweets and x-over network I have now. I really like the JL tweets and I'd rather not have to spend the money on an entirely new set of comps if I don't have to. The problem is finding places that sell just the mids without having to buy a complete comp set.

grampi
11-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Theres a lot better to be had for 200 bucks I promise you that.

There's a lot that are shallower than 2.25" mounting depth? If so, please let me know what they are because I'm sure not finding them.

tcguy85
11-25-2007, 07:20 PM
can you use an MDF spacer to space the speaker out to get added depth?

grampi
11-25-2007, 07:28 PM
can you use an MDF spacer to space the speaker out to get added depth?

No. I want the speaker to be flush with the door skin so I can install the interior door panel over it for the factory look. If I use a spacer I'd have to cut a hole in the door panel and use the speaker grills that came with the speakers. That wouldn't look factory at all.

tcguy85
11-25-2007, 07:31 PM
No. I want the speaker to be flush with the door skin so I can install the interior door panel over it for the factory look. If I use a spacer I'd have to cut a hole in the door panel and use the speaker grills that came with the speakers. That wouldn't look factory at all.

oh ok. well that kinda stinks. if you space it out at all the factory door skin won't go back on?

what car is it?

07ramjam
11-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Because there's only been a couple others that have the shallow depth mids I need and I've read nothing but bad things about them. Every MB set of comps I've ever heard has had extremely harsh tweets, and IMO they're all overpriced. I really think my best bet is to just find a pair of shallow midrange drivers to replace the one's I have. I can use the tweets and x-over network I have now. I really like the JL tweets and I'd rather not have to spend the money on an entirely new set of comps if I don't have to. The problem is finding places that sell just the mids without having to buy a complete comp set.

Have you heard them for yourself?I listened to the premium series extensively and I didnt think they sounded harsh at all,but thats just me.Good luck on your search.

Pyro_By_Nature
11-25-2007, 07:40 PM
The Polk DB series actually are some decent speakers.

BUT, if you want to buy just the mids., I'm sure you can find something else. If you want to take sound quality seriously, check out diymobileaudio.com (check out the forum). People there actually know what SQ is. They can probably point you in the direction of a mid. off of madisound or something that will suite your needs.

cam5860
11-25-2007, 07:43 PM
I just replaced my DB's with the JBL power series components and the depth on them is 2 1/8 inches. They will fit like a glove in your car. And let me just say they will put those polks to shame. Plus I bought a brand new set off ebay for 95 bucks. You might want to go that route. But the choice is yours.

grampi
11-25-2007, 08:26 PM
oh ok. well that kinda stinks. if you space it out at all the factory door skin won't go back on?

what car is it?

'99 Corolla.

grampi
11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Have you heard them for yourself?I listened to the premium series extensively and I didnt think they sounded harsh at all,but thats just me.Good luck on your search.

No, I actually haven't heard any MB's in a while, but to be honest, I doubt I'll be able to find an MB comp set for a price I'm willing to pay. They've always been expensive.

Gary S
11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I like the SR series, but the Polk's you are talking about are not good for the money. Heard them next to MB Quart in the same price range, the difference was night and day, with the Quart's being much better.

If you know that's the depth you need, I may have a great recommendation for you... Cerwin Vega V-max 65 - $160 on sale at onlinecarstereo.com, shipped... you have to search for them... they are in the wrong category, listed under speakers, not comps. One of the best comp sets available today under about $300... mounting depth is 2.25" They will walk all over Polk DB and RSD's... more clarity, midbass potential (depends on install, as always), better off-axis dispersion.

Gary S
11-25-2007, 09:10 PM
I just replaced my DB's with the JBL power series components and the depth on them is 2 1/8 inches. They will fit like a glove in your car. And let me just say they will put those polks to shame.

- I agree with this also... very good speakers for the dollar... they remind me of the RSD's. The Cerwin's are better but cost more.

ls2poweredgoat
11-25-2007, 09:24 PM
So the Cerwin Vega's are for sure components? I might pick up a set if that's true...

grampi
11-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I like the SR series, but the Polk's you are talking about are not good for the money. Heard them next to MB Quart in the same price range, the difference was night and day, with the Quart's being much better.

If you know that's the depth you need, I may have a great recommendation for you... Cerwin Vega V-max 65 - $160 on sale at onlinecarstereo.com, shipped... you have to search for them... they are in the wrong category, listed under speakers, not comps. One of the best comp sets available today under about $300... mounting depth is 2.25" They will walk all over Polk DB and RSD's... more clarity, midbass potential (depends on install, as always), better off-axis dispersion.

The CV vmax's are listed as two ways, not comps. Also their mounting depth is listed as 2.5" which is too deep for my doors. I've looked at them on several sites and as far as I can tell, they sure look like two way speakers to me.

Gary S
11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Yes sir, they are a true component set, separate tweeter, crossover, and midbass driver... they are convertible comps (other convertibles include Polk SR, Image Dynamics XS series, PPI, and one of the ADS models. All but one of these is designed by the same speaker engineer, despite them being different brands! For every 20 car audio brands you see, there is one factory making all of them!), meaning the tweeter can be mounted on top of the mid like a coax, this is an option... or they can function as conventional comps with the drivers mounted separatly... maybe that's where onlinecarstereo got confused and put them in the wrong category.

How the optional coax mounting works... you unscrew the metal phase plug and screw in another (included with the comps) that is custom made to hold the tweeter.

The 5.25 version, the V-Max 5, is in the right category, under "components". Same thing, just different sizes. Also, the pictures are mixed up... the pic of the 6.5" is actually the 5.25".

Gary S
11-25-2007, 10:17 PM
V-max-5:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16879

V-max 65:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18508

- The Car Audio Directory I have lists the mounting depth as follows:

V-max-5:

1.96"

V-max 65:

- looks like someone might be rounding up... easy way to find out... call the manufacturer... I know they have a new number for the car division on Cerwin-vega.com

grampi
11-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Gary

Look at the tech specs. It says they are two ways. No way I'd consider two ways.

grampi
11-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I just read your next to last post. I didn't realize these were convertables. That is way cool! That would mean I could have totally stock looking door panels because I wouldn't need to surface mount the tweets. If they truely do have a mounting depth of only 2.25", these could be the comps for me!

grampi
11-25-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm gonna have to call them because the specs on their web site have the mounting depth as 2.5". 2.5" is a no go, 2.25" is a go.

07ramjam
11-25-2007, 10:51 PM
No, I actually haven't heard any MB's in a while, but to be honest, I doubt I'll be able to find an MB comp set for a price I'm willing to pay. They've always been expensive.

Here check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270190257998&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

I dont know if these will fit your application,but I personally loved the sound of these.

cam5860
11-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Really I would only consider polks sr line also. I had the momo's once before also and while they sound pretty good there not near as good as the jbl power series components I just put in. You should consider the jbl's also. Trust me you won't be disappointed.

Gary S
11-25-2007, 11:30 PM
The only problem you could have with mounting them coaxed behind the factory grill... the tweeter might stick out beyond the rim of the mid, that I don't know. From the pic, the tweeter looks pretty flush on the 6.5"? But it's hard to tell from that angle.

http://www.cerwinvegamobile.com/vmax.php

- Look at the pics on the bottom of the page.... they are mislabeled, the top ones are actually the 6.5", V-max 65, bottom two drivers are the 5.25"

Pics show both mounting options... drivers on the left have the tweeter coaxed, drivers on the right have the conventional phase plug. Yes, these are positively convertible comp sets... there are no "V-max" coaxes.

But this is as close as you will ever get to what you want to do, that's for sure.

However... If the cerwin's won't fit, I might have one more great bang for the buck option you could consider... go look at Orion HCCA 6.2 -

http://www.orioncaraudio.com/Products/Products.aspx?ProductID=534

These are another Dei/Directed product (Dei owns Orion, PPI, ADS, Polk, among others) designed by the same engineer as the cerwin's and other DEi products... these are shallow also, 2.2" depth, have a neo magnet... I have seen them listed on ebay as low as $129.00... ikesound.com also has them at a nice price... same tweet and sophisticated crossover as the top of the line ADS and PPI sets (without the bells and whistles on the crossover, such as phase switch), but with a conventional paper cone... not quite the detail in the midrange as ADS/PPI/Cerwin, but a lower price than some of those. They are not convertible. I just wanted to give you a heads up on these, cover all bases, because these are shallow mount also and a great bang for the buck in their own right.

These companies should be sending me some free speakers for all this leg work, LOL!

grampi
11-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Gary

If the CV's end up being too deep, of these two (the Orions or the JBL P650C) which is the best?