PDA

View Full Version : aero turn

bopo668
11-24-2007, 12:51 PM
If i was to have a turn in my aero would it change the sound because i have a friend that said it would make it sound like **** just looking for advice

J31Rob
11-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Yep.

Port turbulence.

donpisto
11-24-2007, 12:53 PM
O rly?

bopo668
11-24-2007, 12:55 PM
really i thought since it was the same diameter all the way thorough and nothing was obstructing it wouldn't madder

Lakota
11-24-2007, 02:38 PM
The port wouldn't function as well as straight. However, if you're just using it for daily then you shouldn't really notice a difference.

Mr Cabinetry
11-24-2007, 02:42 PM
really i thought since it was the same diameter all the way thorough and nothing was obstructing it wouldn't madder

It all depends on the port part used making the turn.

The aero port parts from parts express as for the " elbows " used to make the turn, the outside of the turn is a radius, but, the inside turn is not a radius given how the port elbow is molded, there is a sharp corner on the inside.

However, that sharp corner can be rounded over merely by taking sand paper to knock the sharp corner down and that's more than enough to solve that little problem.

Or, what you could do is goto HD or Lowes, buy PVC pipe and the elbow part that is/does have true radius, that solves that problem, but then you have the problem of creating the aero port radius flares for the outside and inside.

Megalomaniac
11-24-2007, 02:45 PM
I am using an 90 elbow on my new install i am working on. as long as the joint inside makes a smooth transition it will not impose a big problem. I had emailed psp about it. also to measure the length you will need to measure down the center path to get the correct distance or measure the lengths and average em'....but the first one will be better.

I got my elbow from Home depot for like $2.xx. they are cheap. i used a 4" elbow. its 4" on each side the diameter. i almost accidentally picked up one that was 4" on one side and 3" on the other, just be careful you get the right one.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Megalomaniac1989/Ported%20False%20Floor/IMG_0770.jpg

IgnoreMe
11-24-2007, 10:15 PM
It all depends on the port part used making the turn.

The aero port parts from parts express as for the " elbows " used to make the turn, the outside of the turn is a radius, but, the inside turn is not a radius given how the port elbow is molded, there is a sharp corner on the inside.

However, that sharp corner can be rounded over merely by taking sand paper to knock the sharp corner down and that's more than enough to solve that little problem.

Or, what you could do is goto HD or Lowes, buy PVC pipe and the elbow part that is/does have true radius, that solves that problem, but then you have the problem of creating the aero port radius flares for the outside and inside.

another issue is i have seen the lowes and home depot elbows, and at least the ones ive seen, do not create a smooth inside. like it has little ridges and ****. itll create a lot of turbulance.

maybe i was just looking at the ****** stuff, but if you can use one with a full, smooth bend (like the one Mr. Cab is describing), and one, that when all the pieces are fitted together, has a completely smooth interior you should be ok.

IgnoreMe
11-24-2007, 10:24 PM
haha ****. i should of read megalo's post before i made mine. mofo has a picture and everything.

Megalo: so the psp ends fit just fine on regular pvc pipes? some people said they sizes a just a little bit different so you cant get them to fit without some work. yours looks like you just popped it right in like i was designed for it

DBfan187
11-24-2007, 10:29 PM
look for abs pipe, are you guys talking about 'street' 90* elbows?

IgnoreMe
11-24-2007, 10:34 PM
look for abs pipe, are you guys talking about 'street' 90* elbows?

i dont know what "street" is? whats that mean?

elbows yes, but im lost on the street part

DBfan187
11-24-2007, 10:35 PM
curvy 90's

IgnoreMe
11-24-2007, 10:35 PM
curvy 90's

then yes ;) thats what we're talkin about

DBfan187
11-24-2007, 10:36 PM
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/613355_front200.jpg

IgnoreMe
11-24-2007, 10:39 PM
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/613355_front200.jpg

oooh. thats a nice one. so long as its smooth on the inside, you are just making it easier for your self in the long run.

i am really interested to see if the psp ends will work with regular pvc pipe without sanding or anything like that.

dbfan, when you said use abs pipe were you referring to me and saying that it will work? or were you talking about something else?

DBfan187
11-24-2007, 10:40 PM
precision ports are abs pipes

IgnoreMe
11-24-2007, 10:42 PM
precision ports are abs pipes

so abs pipes use a different sizing system or something?

i swear i remember reading tommyk said you had to sand the pvc pipe down to make it fit the psp ports.

i dont know much about the plumbing stuff...so, are pvc and abs pipes different?

DBfan187
11-24-2007, 10:48 PM
yes, abs is black and it's thinner. PVC is white and it's stronger.

IgnoreMe
11-24-2007, 10:50 PM
yes, abs is black and it's thinner. PVC is white and it's stronger.

they dont use the schedule grading stuff (ie schedule 40, 80 etc?)

DBfan187
11-24-2007, 11:38 PM
I don't believe so, it's A LOT thinner than schedule 40.

jibberjive
11-25-2007, 02:37 AM
I used some of the true radiused elbows on a box I built a while ago and didn't have any problem with port noise (granted the 12's weren't super long throw woofers, like 14mm xmax). Not the best pic, but you can kinda see them in there. Oh BTW, I believe the piping was PVC (lighter weight and thinner) and the elbows were abs (IIRC there were different options on the inside diameter of the 4" elbows for both the thicker and thinner piping, but this was 6 or so years ago so don't quote me on that)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/410000-410999/410038_5_full.jpg

IgnoreMe
11-25-2007, 02:39 AM
I used some of the true radiused elbows on a box I built a while ago and didn't have any problem with port noise (granted the 12's weren't super long throw woofers, like 14mm xmax). Not the best pic, but you can kinda see them in there
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/410000-410999/410038_5_full.jpg

are they completely smooth on the inside? or do they have little bumps on the connection points?

Megalomaniac
11-25-2007, 02:43 AM
haha ****. i should of read megalo's post before i made mine. mofo has a picture and everything.

Megalo: so the psp ends fit just fine on regular pvc pipes? some people said they sizes a just a little bit different so you cant get them to fit without some work. yours looks like you just popped it right in like i was designed for it

yea it does dip down inside but when you put the flares in it fits perfect to where its almost a perfect transition from the joints, some gaffers tape inside will make it smoother or some resin. With the elbow i really didnt need to make the port any longer it was already to the length i needed for the most part. i'll play with length more when box is finished.

just an fyi the only reason i am using an elbow is because my box has to be shallow and the psp requires about 2" in front of mouth to breathe properly

IgnoreMe
11-25-2007, 02:50 AM
yea it does dip down inside but when you put the flares in it fits perfect to where its almost a perfect transition from the joints, some gaffers tape inside will make it smoother or some resin. With the elbow i really didnt need to make the port any longer it was already to the length i needed for the most part. i'll play with length more when box is finished.

just an fyi the only reason i am using an elbow is because my box has to be shallow and the psp requires about 2" in front of mouth to breathe properly

any chance you can get/try to, a picture of the inside?

Megalomaniac
11-25-2007, 02:56 AM
any chance you can get/try to, a picture of the inside?

first thing in the morning i'll try to.

actually...here is another shot see on this end it doesnt transition as well do to the flare but the other side the flare has a longer neck kinda so it snaps perfectly snug

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Megalomaniac1989/Ported%20False%20Floor/IMG_0764.jpg

IgnoreMe
11-25-2007, 03:49 AM
first thing in the morning i'll try to.

actually...here is another shot see on this end it doesnt transition as well do to the flare but the other side the flare has a longer neck kinda so it snaps perfectly snug

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Megalomaniac1989/Ported%20False%20Floor/IMG_0764.jpg

ahhh, i see it.

seems like you might even just be able to cut down the elbow, so that its shorter, thus letting the flare end drop farther down until it reaches that "bump"

Megalomaniac
11-25-2007, 03:56 AM
yup, smart man :)

IgnoreMe
11-25-2007, 04:13 AM
yup, smart man :)

hmm, might have to pick up some 4" flared ends then.

i was gonna go the whole 1.5" round over bit for a nice big *** flare ( i believe the psp ports have a little over 1" of radius), a jasper jig 200, a new router, etc etc and do the whole nine yards with pvc ports (spend the money now, make an infinite amount of flared ports later) but ****, i can put together some decent **** (buy 4 sets of inside/outside flares) and make 4 4" flared ports for less than $30 :p:

jibberjive
11-25-2007, 04:21 AM
are they completely smooth on the inside? or do they have little bumps on the connection points?

I don't have the box anymore cause I sold it with the jeep and this was 6+ years ago, but as far as I remember it was a rather smooth transition w/ no bumps or deformations in the plastic. In the pic you can see a small gap in two of the ports though. It didn't ever have any port noise though.

Spud2388
11-25-2007, 04:27 PM
im using 4 6" pvc elbows in my box. I did smooth down the inner sharp corner and the little humps on the insides. No port noice to speak of.