PDA

View Full Version : Using RSD65 mids with JL XR tweets?

grampi
11-23-2007, 08:28 PM
I currently have a set of JL XR 650 comps. I absolutely love the tweeters, but the mids lack punch, however I don't know if it's because my doors aren't deadened, or if it's a deficiency with the drivers themselves. I'm going to deaden my doors to see if that cures, or at least helps with the problem. If it doesn't, I wonder if I could use the PG RSD 65 mids with the XR tweets? Everyone is saying their midbass with the RSD's is phenominal. Here's why I ask. The RSD's have a silk dome tweeter and my experience with non-metal tweeters is they tend to sound dull and lifeless to me. I think it's because I've lost some of my high frequncy hearing, but at any rate, metal tweets just sound better to me. Since the RSD's aren't very expensive, I could buy a set and if I don't like the tweets, I could use my XR's. The question then is which passives do I use. The PG's or the JL's? Maybe then I could get the best of both worlds, amazingly clear highs and strong, punchy midbass.

tcguy85
11-23-2007, 08:40 PM
i love the rsd tweets so i vote use the whole rsd set.

UCF52
11-23-2007, 10:53 PM
If you are going to order the RSd's anyways you might want to try it out with the RSd tweets first and run them passive. If you plan to run the mix of the JL and the RSd I would be wlling to bet that you will have (well most likely) to run them active <-- but I am not sure so hopefully someone else will address this.

tcguy85
11-23-2007, 11:51 PM
he wouldn't have to run them active. any set could sound better when run active but it's not needed. you should be able to mix and match most comp sets with different crossovers and it should still work.

gijoe
11-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Deadening the doors will drastically improve the sound quality. I suggest deadening the doors and sealing all of the holes before you spend any more money on speakers. I have Boston s60's which a lot of people claim to lack midbass, after I deadened and sealed my doors they sound a ton better. They may still lack midbass compared to other speakers, but they sound pretty good now compared to the way they did when my doors weren't deadened. I never thought they sounded bad to begin with though. Even if you spend thousands of dollars on speakers, they will suffer drastically until you deaden and seal the doors.

Towncar
11-24-2007, 02:48 AM
I currently have a set of JL XR 650 comps. I absolutely love the tweeters, but the mids lack punch, however I don't know if it's because my doors aren't deadened, or if it's a deficiency with the drivers themselves. I'm going to deaden my doors to see if that cures, or at least helps with the problem. If it doesn't, I wonder if I could use the PG RSD 65 mids with the XR tweets? Everyone is saying their midbass with the RSD's is phenominal. Here's why I ask. The RSD's have a silk dome tweeter and my experience with non-metal tweeters is they tend to sound dull and lifeless to me. I think it's because I've lost some of my high frequncy hearing, but at any rate, metal tweets just sound better to me. Since the RSD's aren't very expensive, I could buy a set and if I don't like the tweets, I could use my XR's. The question then is which passives do I use. The PG's or the JL's? Maybe then I could get the best of both worlds, amazingly clear highs and strong, punchy midbass.

The rsd tweets are anything but dull. they are very crisp, and detailed.. Good luck

tcguy85
11-24-2007, 08:30 AM
The rsd tweets are anything but dull. they are very crisp, and detailed.. Good luck

i totally agree!

grampi
11-24-2007, 08:40 AM
I'll see how they sound after I deaden the doors. I really like these JL's other than for their lack of midbass. They're actually very nice sounding speakers.

Gary S
11-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Most passive crossovers are professionally designed for a flat anechoic response specifically for the drivers they come with. Will you get a flat response if you mix crossovers? How would you know?

wong05tsx
11-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Grampi I'll buy a RSD Tweeter off you, my right front one just went out :\.. only 5 months, don't even know why just turned on my car and it was all scratchy sound.. PM me

wvufootball
11-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Deadening your doors makes a night/day difference. At least it did for me.

grampi
11-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Grampi I'll buy a RSD Tweeter off you, my right front one just went out :\.. only 5 months, don't even know why just turned on my car and it was all scratchy sound.. PM me

I don't even have the RSD's yet, and I don't know if I'm going to get them. I'm gonna try my XR's after I deaden the doors to see if that helps. If I do get the RSD's and I don't want the tweets, I'll let you know though.