PDA

View Full Version : SI MAG 12 issues with WinISD Pro

Omega3dog
11-20-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm using WinISD Pro to identify a sub to deliver the loudest deep bass possible within 2.4^3 gross volume, from beneath the rear seat of my Silverado Ext Cab.

My list includes: 1-SI MAG 12, 1-JL 12W6, 1-Kicker 12L7, 1-Fi Q 10, or 2-Kicker 8L7

When I entered the SI MAG 12 parameters, the consistency check fails. If I manipulate the Re, the db graph never rises above 0 db. What am I doing wrong?

The following SI MAG 12 parameters (http://www.stereointegrity.com/mag.php) were entered:

T/S parameters: 12 inch
Re (coils in series) 3.5
Fs 30.2
Le 3.5
Qms 4.7
Qes 0.45
Qts 0.41
Cms 121
Mms (grams) 228
Vas (liters) 39.7
Sd (cm^2) 480
BL 18.35
SPL (1W/1M) 85.7
Power handling RMS 900
All Mag D2 subwooers are DUAL 2 OHM.

Immacomputer
11-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Start by entering Qms and then Qes and let it calculate Qts. Then enter Vas and Fs values.

Change the voice coil option at the bottom to 2 and then series wiring and then enter Re to be 3.5 and the Sd to be 480cm^2. From there you can enter Le and everything else should be calculated for you and it's pretty accurate with a slight rounding error on BL.

It should look like this when you're done:
http://i3.tinypic.com/8aej1ox.png

Omega3dog
11-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Start by entering Qms and then Qes and let it calculate Qts. Then enter Vas and Fs values.

Change the voice coil option at the bottom to 2 and then series wiring and then enter Re to be 3.5 and the Sd to be 480cm^2. From there you can enter Le and everything else should be calculated for you and it's pretty accurate with a slight rounding error on BL.

It should look like this when you're done:
http://i3.tinypic.com/8aej1ox.png

1st off...how did you get the picture to paste into the text box?

2nd...It worked. Thanks

However, when I entered the info, but the Bl continues to change to 50% of the listed value when I change it to Parallel. Is this normal?

I'm having a hard time finding the perfect loud deep bass sub for a small location...based upon the WinISD Pro graphs.

Immacomputer
11-21-2007, 12:20 AM
I pressed ALT and the print screen button and then pasted that into MSPaint. From there, I hosted the image on www.tinypic.com and then posted it here.

As for BL, that's completely normal and nothing to worry about.

The MAG should be very well suited in about 1.5 cubes tuned to 30hz. What's stopping you from doing this? It appears as though you have enough space.

Omega3dog
11-24-2007, 03:28 AM
The MAG 12, in 1.5^3 net, requires a port area of 46" x 57"long. The combination equates to ~3.3, which exceeds the 2.4 gross volume.

I used the port calculator at the following site: http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

I've resarched parameters for Fi, Stereo Integrity, Resonant Engineering, JL, Sound Splinter, Kicker, and Ascendant. I've asked installers for advice...no deep bass options, if I want to maintain rear seat functionality.

I'm just not satisfied with my remaining options for a Kicker 750 (I'm guessing):
2 - Kicker 8L7...no deep bass
1 - JL 12/10 W6...400w...not enough power
1 - Kicker 10 CVX...not enough deep bass

I will probably give up the search and go with JL 12W6.

Immacomputer
11-24-2007, 10:40 PM
A single mag won't need 46" of port area; don't go by what winisd says for port turbulence.

If you really only want a sealed sub, I suggest you add the Alpine Type-X, the Infinity Kappa Perfect VQ (the no insert will give you very low bass sealed performance), and the Eclipse SW8200. All of those drivers will work very well sealed and they will all give -3dB points below 35hz in an anechoic environment. That should yield a flat response down pretty **** low in your vehicle.

ballstothewall
11-25-2007, 03:36 AM
edit

*nevermind*

Omega3dog
11-26-2007, 08:27 PM
A single mag won't need 46" of port area; don't go by what winisd says for port turbulence.

If you really only want a sealed sub, I suggest you add the Alpine Type-X, the Infinity Kappa Perfect VQ (the no insert will give you very low bass sealed performance), and the Eclipse SW8200. All of those drivers will work very well sealed and they will all give -3dB points below 35hz in an anechoic environment. That should yield a flat response down pretty **** low in your vehicle.

What site is better for calculating port area?

My goal is SQL...however, a sealed box is easier to build for my limitations beneath the rear seat.

JimJ
11-26-2007, 08:29 PM
WinISD, in a word, *****.

Go sealed, you won't have any issue with output.

"SQL" is a bad term.

Omega3dog
11-26-2007, 08:48 PM
WinISD, in a word, *****.

Go sealed, you won't have any issue with output.

"SQL" is a bad term.

Which program would you recommend?

I'm working within 2.4cuft max (fired forward) and 1.9cuft down fired, beneath the rear seat of an Ext Cab Silverado.

As mentioned before, I'm seeking loud deep bass, but the options seem thin. I will try to checkout some sealed options this weekend.

Immacomputer
11-26-2007, 10:18 PM
You should really look into the Eclipse driver. Those 8200s have a ton of excursion and will get **** low in a sealed box. Even in about 2 cubes, they should do very well.

Omega3dog
11-27-2007, 12:22 AM
You should really look into the Eclipse driver. Those 8200s have a ton of excursion and will get **** low in a sealed box. Even in about 2 cubes, they should do very well.

Where can I find parameters on the sub (Bl, Qms, Qes, Re, etc.)?

The Eclipes website doesn't show much...

Single voice coil?

IamDeMan
11-27-2007, 08:52 AM
A mag doesn't need 46" of port area. 25" would be just fine.