PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Different Length Ports in same box.

whizdumb
11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
What are the effects if you have more than one port, each tuned differently in the same box? i.e. (2) 4" flared ports, 1 of them 12" and the other say 14"...

Does the box have 2 tuning frequencies? Do they "average out" to somewhere in between? Or does it just not sound right?

Reason I am asking is I am using 2 flared ports, and I have to use 2 elbows on one of them to get it to fit in my box w/ the desired length... and I have read that increasing the amount of turns can have the same effect as increasing the length of the port (lowering tuning).

Any insight is appreciated.

dragnix
11-19-2007, 04:57 PM
it will completely change the tuning since ur adding port area, how much changes to the tuning i don't know. That's too much math for me to do rite now

jellyfish420
11-19-2007, 06:04 PM
short answer...yes. this was gone over a while ago. and yes you can use diff length ports, you could even use diff size ports, that are diff lengths.
you don't have a box w/ 2 tunings, the ports are cumulative. but i never did get a definate answer on how to figure.

whizdumb
11-19-2007, 07:41 PM
So they just kind of average out to somewhere in between what each tuning would be by itself...?

Should I be worried about the elbows even making the ports "seem" longer?