PDA

View Full Version : 95 firebird Formula having some issues

mysilver02alty
11-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Car is a 1995 Firebird Formula v8 not my Altima

My 2nd dash gauge from the left, the one that goes up to 80 i think its the oil gauge im having an issue with.

Basically, every day i start up the car and the needle sits at around 60. I drive on the highway about 20 miles to work and by the time i get off the highway and the engine warms up, the needle sits around 30 or so then im at work and shut the car off. This happens every day, every time i start it up, goes from about 60 to 30 or 20.

Saturday i put a quart of oil in the car, some coolant and some injector cleaner in the car. It felt better than it has in months. It felt like it had regained a tiny bit of the power i lost but not all of it for sure I drove 50 miles this day and the same thing, needle was around 30, but then i was in bumper to bumper traffic for about 45 minutes. That gauge was going from 30 to zero the whole time and i got the check gauges dummy light a bunch of times. The light goes off every time i got moving again or put it in neutral and gave it a little gas.

I got scared and just parked the car for a while. It started about 20 mins later. I cut the engine off and tried to start it again and it wouldnt start. Coolant was coming out of the overflow reservoir bottle through the cap. I guess thats where ive been losing all my coolant. I let it sit and cool down for another 25 minutes, put more coolant in the overflow and started it up. It was alright for about 15 minutes then the gauge started doing the same thing until i got where i was going and parked at the game i went to. This seems to happen but on a smaller level when i drive about 20 miles and then drive in bumper 2 bumper traffic but this is the first time where it has been this serious.

6 hours later and i drove home and same thing, the needle was around 60 and i got on the highway going 75 -85 mph and the car seemed alright for the whole 50 miles.

I got home and no coolant was coming out.

The engine has had head work done, ive had that loss of power issue and shaking under 2k rpm issue that everyone else seems to be having. Im a dummy when it comes to mechanical issues, anyone know what these symptoms might mean? My temp gauge does not work at all anymore.

15nissen
11-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Car is a 1995 Firebird Formula v8 not my Altima

My 2nd dash gauge from the left, the one that goes up to 80 i think its the oil gauge im having an issue with.

Basically, every day i start up the car and the needle sits at around 60. I drive on the highway about 20 miles to work and by the time i get off the highway and the engine warms up, the needle sits around 30 or so then im at work and shut the car off. This happens every day, every time i start it up, goes from about 60 to 30 or 20.

Saturday i put a quart of oil in the car, some coolant and some injector cleaner in the car. It felt better than it has in months. It felt like it had regained a tiny bit of the power i lost but not all of it for sure I drove 50 miles this day and the same thing, needle was around 30, but then i was in bumper to bumper traffic for about 45 minutes. That gauge was going from 30 to zero the whole time and i got the check gauges dummy light a bunch of times. The light goes off every time i got moving again or put it in neutral and gave it a little gas.

I got scared and just parked the car for a while. It started about 20 mins later. I cut the engine off and tried to start it again and it wouldnt start. Coolant was coming out of the overflow reservoir bottle through the cap. I guess thats where ive been losing all my coolant. I let it sit and cool down for another 25 minutes, put more coolant in the overflow and started it up. It was alright for about 15 minutes then the gauge started doing the same thing until i got where i was going and parked at the game i went to. This seems to happen but on a smaller level when i drive about 20 miles and then drive in bumper 2 bumper traffic but this is the first time where it has been this serious.

6 hours later and i drove home and same thing, the needle was around 60 and i got on the highway going 75 -85 mph and the car seemed alright for the whole 50 miles.

I got home and no coolant was coming out.

The engine has had head work done, ive had that loss of power issue and shaking under 2k rpm issue that everyone else seems to be having. Im a dummy when it comes to mechanical issues, anyone know what these symptoms might mean? My temp gauge does not work at all anymore.

We race rather large motors, and NEVER use electric oil pressure gauges such as yours. Im willing to bet ur sending unit took a ****. We lets hope thats the issue for your wallets sake. Your gauge when working properly will read higher on start up. Oil is thick and will thin out after putting some heat into the motor. you should always have 30 psi or more at all times if possible. The motor will not just lose oil pressure unless something failed internally. If that did happen your motor would seize rather quickly and you would know right away.:(

93EXT
11-12-2007, 12:17 PM
An old car I used to have used to leak out the sending unit, They are cheap to buy and easy to replace, Do it.

and yes higher pressure at highish rpms and when cold is normal, dropping to 0 is not though.

How many miles are on the car?

mysilver02alty
11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
An old car I used to have used to leak out the sending unit, They are cheap to buy and easy to replace, Do it.

and yes higher pressure at highish rpms and when cold is normal, dropping to 0 is not though.

How many miles are on the car?

about 130k miles. Bought it with 120k miles 7 months ago. Could it need a head gasket? plugs, wires, distributor you think for the loss of power?

SilverSquared
11-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Oil pressure when driving is supposed to be about 30 psi round about after the engine is warmed. Thats normal. My truck pushed 80psi for about 5 or 6 minutes, then drops back to right under 40.

What oil are you using? That plays a MAJOR part in the pressure, also the oil pump and pickup screen/filter.

mysilver02alty
11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Oil pressure when driving is supposed to be about 30 psi round about after the engine is warmed. Thats normal. My truck pushed 80psi for about 5 or 6 minutes, then drops back to right under 40.

What oil are you using? That plays a MAJOR part in the pressure, also the oil pump and pickup screen/filter.

im not sure what oil they put in on my last change. 5w30 is recommended under the hood. Do you think i should go with the 5w30? That was recommended when the car was new but its 13 years old now and i've heard different things about what oil should be used.

Thanks for the reply.

FergieFurg
11-30-2007, 09:19 PM
sign up to camaroz28.com you might get alot more help there like i did with my camaro

SuperchargedRS
12-01-2007, 03:45 PM
are you loosing any oil, check the levels and make sure the levels are constant?

what temp is the engine running at, is it getting hot as you drive it while you are getting a low reading?

when you check the oil does it look really black (assuming you change your oil regularly and it's a gas engine), what does is smell like, burnt oil has a very distinctive smell ?

If you are not loosing oil, temp is nominal and your oil isnt showing any signs of funk, it's probably the sender unit, go to your local auto parts store and get a new one (and dont get the cheapest one, I have a bosh unit in my vehicles) and see if that remidies the problem.... Also is the gague making smooth movements or a abrupt/twitchy movement?

Ferendon
12-08-2007, 01:21 AM
The first number in the oil rating is, basically, performance at certain temps. 10w30 and 5w30 are not very different, and you live in a fairly hot, humid state. I'd advise going with a 10w30, but that's not relevant to your issue. Replace the sending unit, or buy a mechanical oil pressure gauge and hook it up. Some oil pumps even have a Schrader valve so that you can do this with no piping. As stated before, never use an electrical oil pressure gauge, although I understand it's the factory gauge.