PDA

View Full Version : Best way to brace a box?

RiceWagon
03-28-2003, 02:21 PM
Just starting to build my ported 2.75 cu/ft box for my 12d HCCA and was worried about flex so I think bracing it would be the right to go. What way of internally bracing the box would be best? I figured 2" wide strips of left over MDF with angle cut ends should do the trick. If I'm wrong in doing this please call me a *******. I've made quite a few boxes before but this will be my first heavy duty one... so I don't want to F*&^ it up! Thanx in advance.

Mark

Randy Savage
03-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by RiceWagon
Just starting to build my ported 2.75 cu/ft box for my 12d HCCA and was worried about flex so I think bracing it would be the right to go. What way of internally bracing the box would be best? I figured 2" wide strips of left over MDF with angle cut ends should do the trick. If I'm wrong in doing this please call me a *******. I've made quite a few boxes before but this will be my first heavy duty one... so I don't want to F*&^ it up! Thanx in advance.

Mark That would work...but you're gonna have to take in consideration the volume that the braces take up...

You can find a brace calculator on
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

RiceWagon
03-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks alot for the advice... This site is great I've only posted 2 questions so far and I have gotten straight forward quality advice and answers almost immediatly. A first class forum with some very knowledgable members. This site is now bookmarked on my browser so unfortunatly you people will have to deal with me on a regular basis. Thanks again! :D

Mark

Randy Savage
03-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by RiceWagon
This site is now bookmarked on my browser so unfortunatly you people will have to deal with me on a regular basis. Thanks again! :D

Mark ****!!!

I was hoping we wouldn't have to deal with you....

Lol, j/k man. Yeah, this is a great forum, very knowledgable people here and a lot of nice guys...

RMKrider1
03-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Woo Hoo another hcca guy!!!! Your idea for internal bracing will work just fine. Just be sure to do what snova said! What amp are you planning on running that 12 with?

RiceWagon
03-29-2003, 01:53 PM
I just picked up a JBL Power Valve 1200.1, 2 Ohm amp. I hope it will work ok, I could pass up the price I got it for.

Mark

RMKrider1
03-29-2003, 01:55 PM
That amp will go great with that sub!!!! But where did you get "2 ohm amp"? Run that thing at 1 ohm!!!!