PDA

View Full Version : Nissan rolls out long-awaited GT-R super-coupe

Rich B
10-24-2007, 03:30 PM
http://i.usatoday.net/money/_photos/2007/10/24/nissangtrx-large.jpg

TOKYO — Nissan finally quit teasing and showed the production version of its super-high-performance GT-R sports coupe, unveiling it at the big auto show near here Wednesday.

It's a car designed to give Nissan the kind of halo the Corvette gives to Chevrolet.

GT-R will go on sale here in December and in the U.S. — to the cheers of impatient auto enthusiasts — in June or July. U.S. auto buffs have been clamoring for the car more than a decade.

Nissan hasn't sold previous versions of the road rocket in the U.S., deeming it too small for American tastes and too hard to re-engineer to meet U.S. safety and anti-pollution regulations.

The new one, though, was developed with the U.S. in mind.

The car will start at 7.77 million yen here, equivalent to about $68,000:eek: at recent exchange rates. Nissan hasn't announced the U.S. price, which could be higher if the U.S. model is equipped differently.

The bottom line: GT-R is supposed to be quicker than the $124,000 Porsche turbo at little more than half its price. And if the U.S. price is roughly equivalent to the Japanese price, GT-R will be several thousand dollars less than the least-expensive Porsche 911 sold in the U.S.

Still, the price is lofty by Nissan's mainstream standards, and a potential challenge, at least in the U.S., to the car company's marketing skill.

Despite the huge advance buzz surrounding the car, it is uncertain if buyers easily will part with $70,000 or $80,000 in a showroom that also sells $15,000 economy cars and $30,000 SUVs.

Corvette starts at $42,000, but the high-performance Z06 that's a closer rival to GT-R starts at $71,000.

Nissan is confident, pointing out how easily Chevy dealers sell Corvettes cheek-by-jowl with plain-Jane work trucks and Korean-built Chevy economy cars.

Nissan believes the GT-R's performance numbers — and touches such as silver paint that's hand rubbed in the factory for an extraordinary sheen — should wipe out buyer resistance.

GT-R has a twin-turbocharged 3.8-liter V-6 engine rated 473 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 434 pounds-feet of torque starting at 3,200 rpm.

All-wheel drive is standard, spreading the power among four tires instead of between just two to help keep the car stable during hard acceleration. Nissan expects it will jump from a standstill to 60 mph in well under four seconds, as quick as some motorcycles.

GT-R is a small coupe, just 183.2 inches long, 74.6 inches wide and 53.9 inches tall, riding on a 109.4-inch wheelbase.

It's designed to seat four, but rear-seat dimensions are tight and total passenger space is just 79.4 cubic feet — about the same as some subcompact sedans.

The trunk, though, is 8.8 cubic feet, relatively generous for the car's size.

Nissan will manufacture just 12,000 a year. The U.S. allotment hasn't been set yet.

The anticipation was so great that auto journalists began filling seats in Nissan's display area at 9 a.m., willing to wait nearly five hours until the unveiling. Latecomers couldn't get close, filling aisles and spilling into other automakers' display areas.

Two hours after the presentation, the area in front of the Nissan stage was still three-deep with photographers clicking away and others just trying to get close enough to see the car.

If there's a problem with such a striking car, it's that environmental activists complain vigorously that high-power cars are antithetical to good fuel economy and low pollution.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-10-24-nissan-gtr_N.htm?csp=1

azbass
10-24-2007, 03:34 PM
ima overnight one too me.

azbass
10-24-2007, 03:34 PM
then go drifting.

Spider Monkey
10-24-2007, 03:35 PM
It doesn't have 4 wheel drive. :fyi:

Flipx99
10-24-2007, 03:37 PM
reminds me of a mustang

alteraudiousa
10-24-2007, 03:39 PM
if it could only match up to the R34 Nur i might be happy. No 4 wheel drive and it looks like a 350 still doesn't impress me. I wish they would bring back the simple yet authoritative lines of the Skyline.

Railrocker
10-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Wow says all wheel drive is standard.

pitbull12887
10-24-2007, 03:40 PM
reminds me of a mustang

how in the hell is that? lol doesnt look anything like it to me.

regal8r
10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
rear end looks like a 2dr cobalt lol

pitbull12887
10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
http://i.usatoday.net/money/_photos/2007/10/24/nissangtrx-large.jpg

TOKYO — Nissan finally quit teasing and showed the production version of its super-high-performance GT-R sports coupe, unveiling it at the big auto show near here Wednesday.

It's a car designed to give Nissan the kind of halo the Corvette gives to Chevrolet.

GT-R will go on sale here in December and in the U.S. — to the cheers of impatient auto enthusiasts — in June or July. U.S. auto buffs have been clamoring for the car more than a decade.

Nissan hasn't sold previous versions of the road rocket in the U.S., deeming it too small for American tastes and too hard to re-engineer to meet U.S. safety and anti-pollution regulations.

The new one, though, was developed with the U.S. in mind.

The car will start at 7.77 million yen here, equivalent to about $68,000:eek: at recent exchange rates. Nissan hasn't announced the U.S. price, which could be higher if the U.S. model is equipped differently.

The bottom line: GT-R is supposed to be quicker than the $124,000 Porsche turbo at little more than half its price. And if the U.S. price is roughly equivalent to the Japanese price, GT-R will be several thousand dollars less than the least-expensive Porsche 911 sold in the U.S.

Still, the price is lofty by Nissan's mainstream standards, and a potential challenge, at least in the U.S., to the car company's marketing skill.

Despite the huge advance buzz surrounding the car, it is uncertain if buyers easily will part with $70,000 or $80,000 in a showroom that also sells $15,000 economy cars and $30,000 SUVs.

Corvette starts at $42,000, but the high-performance Z06 that's a closer rival to GT-R starts at $71,000.

Nissan is confident, pointing out how easily Chevy dealers sell Corvettes cheek-by-jowl with plain-Jane work trucks and Korean-built Chevy economy cars.

Nissan believes the GT-R's performance numbers — and touches such as silver paint that's hand rubbed in the factory for an extraordinary sheen — should wipe out buyer resistance.

GT-R has a twin-turbocharged 3.8-liter V-6 engine rated 473 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 434 pounds-feet of torque starting at 3,200 rpm.

All-wheel drive is standard, spreading the power among four tires instead of between just two to help keep the car stable during hard acceleration. Nissan expects it will jump from a standstill to 60 mph in well under four seconds, as quick as some motorcycles.

GT-R is a small coupe, just 183.2 inches long, 74.6 inches wide and 53.9 inches tall, riding on a 109.4-inch wheelbase.

It's designed to seat four, but rear-seat dimensions are tight and total passenger space is just 79.4 cubic feet — about the same as some subcompact sedans.

The trunk, though, is 8.8 cubic feet, relatively generous for the car's size.

Nissan will manufacture just 12,000 a year. The U.S. allotment hasn't been set yet.

The anticipation was so great that auto journalists began filling seats in Nissan's display area at 9 a.m., willing to wait nearly five hours until the unveiling. Latecomers couldn't get close, filling aisles and spilling into other automakers' display areas.

Two hours after the presentation, the area in front of the Nissan stage was still three-deep with photographers clicking away and others just trying to get close enough to see the car.

If there's a problem with such a striking car, it's that environmental activists complain vigorously that high-power cars are antithetical to good fuel economy and low pollution.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-10-24-nissan-gtr_N.htm?csp=1

:naughty: plenty of room for subs...or dead bodies lol

HypnoticCure
10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
looks like the jacked the vette, mustang and celica and morphed them together....

DejaWiz
10-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Very cool. Wonder how many Altima Coupe owners will be performing engine swaps.

SyKo13
10-24-2007, 04:00 PM
TT and only 475hp?

Pfffft

iagrdshaka
10-24-2007, 04:01 PM
looks ugly

SeanDub
10-24-2007, 04:03 PM
350Z + Cobalt + Celica = That

Ignatowski
10-24-2007, 04:06 PM
unimpressed.....Japenese sports cars are short lived creatures
which is why you dont se many older models still on the road......
and for that kinda money I could think of 10 other cars Id rather ride in
plus its under powered at 475hp and over priced,however I see it
with the TT set up to more than likely be very restricted by the factory
because ANY motor that size with twins is easily capable of alot more hp...
If that thing couldent be tweeked into 800 HP as it sits id **** my pants

Spider Monkey
10-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Kinda looks like it could be a transformer. If that's the case, I will buy one.

nismos14
10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Very cool. Wonder how many Altima Coupe owners will be performing engine swaps.

redlinese-r
10-24-2007, 04:27 PM
unimpressed.....Japenese sports cars are short lived creatures
which is why you dont se many older models still on the road......
and for that kinda money I could think of 10 other cars Id rather ride in
plus its under powered at 475hp and over priced,however I see it
with the TT set up to more than likely be very restricted by the factory
because ANY motor that size with twins is easily capable of alot more hp...
If that thing couldent be tweeked into 800 HP as it sits id **** my pants

If your talking about higher performance models then the reason you dont see any older model Japanese make cars on the road is because they were usually produced in limited numbers, and only a portion of the "X" number of models were imported over here. And really though what high performance cars were sold over here? 3000gt vr-4, 300zx Twin Turbo, NSX, RX-7, Supra Twin Turbo, thats about it. And, if you compare aftermarket parts, of course domestics will have the upper hand, just like if you were in japan, looking for parts for you classic mustang, you'd probably have less luck. In any case, i believe you are paying 68K for more for the exclusivity. But either way you slice it, 68K is alot to probably 99% of people on this board. Also, just because a car is a twin turbo set up doesnt necessarily mean it is capable of producing an ungodly amount of power, its more for driveabilty and linear power. Most Japanese car makers do underrate their higher performance cars...and i dont think the this skyline is an exception. I would really estimate it making around 500ph to th wheels, and its an all wheels drive!:D Oh, yeah. I like it. :D Oh and it looks like the new eclipse in the front.

DubbDesigns
10-24-2007, 04:51 PM
I would have *** wit it :fyi:

I love nissan's one of the best brand's imo. I Drove a 95 altima really hard and the only thing I had to replace on it was a tranny at 230,000 cuz my gf threw it in park before she stopped everytime she drove it. I sold it to my cousin who has blown up/wrecked 5 cars in two years. The car is pushing 300K and still runs great. My dad still drives his 83' nissan pickup daily the only things replaced on it was the plug wires, distrubuter cap and rotor button.

I now have an '01 altima 5speed and I love it. Once I finish paying it off going to look at a 350z or maybe an altima coupe

Trey803
10-25-2007, 01:46 AM
I ordered one last month......

Trey803
10-25-2007, 01:47 AM
I hear it comes with some condoms just in case u bust a nut while driving

twisztdauthorit
10-25-2007, 01:49 AM
wonder what kinda of body kits will be made for this ****er. I love nissans

Trey803
10-25-2007, 01:49 AM
carbon fiber infused with titanium duh ^

elementxero
10-25-2007, 02:03 AM
I just got done ************ to lesbian **** and this car made me wish I waited to bust my nut.

quest51210
10-25-2007, 02:07 AM
how about that new supra?

Trey803
10-25-2007, 02:09 AM
yea i hear ever since Holgan wrecked one they decided to stop making such a nice car that dumb asses were buying

dleccord
10-25-2007, 02:16 AM
looks like a tiburon.

W8 a minute
10-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Wow. That is ugly.

I think the Nissan Quest actually looks better.

BassBallin
10-25-2007, 02:20 AM
one word

SICK!

Ferendon
10-25-2007, 11:06 PM
The car is gorgeous. And it's constructed of pure mechanical genius. As for those who think it's under-powered... You're mental. For a 3.8l, that's pretty ****ing good. Not to mention, it's probably (like just about every other TT car ever produced), rolling off of the assembly line with tiny little turbos. I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing hit 500-550whp, with an intake, exhaust and a tune. There are gobs and gobs of potential left in that car. If Nissan can make a 2.6l, in the early 90s, that is capable of 550whp, on stock internals, what's to stop them from make an engine 1.2l larger, with technology that is 13 years newer, push 550whp on stock guts? Pretty God-****ed good. For $68,000, you can have a car that was designed, tested, and tuned SPECIFICALLY to beat the Porsche 911 Turbo. At the 'ring. And did so... In just about all aspects of performance. And that was the prototype, with a 450-hp 3.7 TT in it. Did I mention, that it's roughly HALF the price of the 911 Turbo?

elementxero
10-26-2007, 02:22 AM
The car is gorgeous. And it's constructed of pure mechanical genius. As for those who think it's under-powered... You're mental. For a 3.8l, that's pretty ****ing good. Not to mention, it's probably (like just about every other TT car ever produced), rolling off of the assembly line with tiny little turbos. I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing hit 500-550whp, with an intake, exhaust and a tune. There are gobs and gobs of potential left in that car. If Nissan can make a 2.6l, in the early 90s, that is capable of 550whp, on stock internals, what's to stop them from make an engine 1.2l larger, with technology that is 13 years newer, push 550whp on stock guts? Pretty God-****ed good. For $68,000, you can have a car that was designed, tested, and tuned SPECIFICALLY to beat the Porsche 911 Turbo. At the 'ring. And did so... In just about all aspects of performance. And that was the prototype, with a 450-hp 3.7 TT in it. Did I mention, that it's roughly HALF the price of the 911 Turbo?

Seriously.

But then again I'm pretty sure the people that don't like it for random reasons also own American made trucks................

Lingerfelt
10-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Unfortunately for Nissan (and fans of the GTR), I highly doubt anyone is going to be cross-shopping Nissans and Porsches.

I still think the R34 GTR looks better, they should've stuck with the prototype design (looked better IMO), and should've kept Skyline in the name.

W8 a minute
10-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Did I mention, that it's roughly HALF the price of the 911 Turbo?

Did you know the Chevy Aveo will get you to work at the LEGAL speed limit for nearly 1/10th the cost?

Did you know that Dual makes subwoofers also?

Does anybody want either? NO.

W8 a minute
10-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Seriously.

But then again I'm pretty sure the people that don't like it for random reasons also own American made trucks................

No I don't. I just think it's butt ugly. There are also a lot of people on this board who think a Honda Civic is the greatest car ever and anything Japanese is superior. I owned a Sentra Spec-V and if that car was any indication of Nissan's quality then I'll have to pass. That was the worst 4 months of my life.

Ignatowski
10-26-2007, 11:26 AM
I think some of you guys are blind........the lines on it are ****.......

JoeHemi57
10-26-2007, 11:30 AM
0.27 drag, they even state that form followed function. i'd still pimp the hell out of it.

hoss
10-26-2007, 11:42 AM
its under powered at 475hp and over priced

you do understand that the 350 Z, which has only 287hp still goes 0-60 in the same amount of time as a corvette, right?

and this is a much higher amount of horsepower, in a much lighter car.

the GT-R is a mean beast, and it has been talked about ALOT over at the 350 forums... it is fast, brutally powerful, and looks killer IMO.

oh yeah, it also lapped the nurburgring faster than the mercedes/mclaren SLR, at 7:35 :wow:

and for a production car, at that price, you cant touch that... that is VERY impressive, i dont care what you compare it to. dollars to dollars, you cant outperform that.

fwb_1234
10-26-2007, 11:56 AM
I like how it looks. Do we have a face shot?

hoss
10-26-2007, 11:43 PM
apparently on that run around the nurburgring the GT-R pulled 2 g's of lateral.

which, all things considered, is not overly impressive given the track. but still pretty impressive IMO. i want to see what it does on a skid pad.

hoss
10-26-2007, 11:46 PM
I like how it looks. Do we have a face shot?

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304055

that should have any pic you want ;)

looking at this thing makes me want to go out and drive my car lol.

Lingerfelt
10-26-2007, 11:47 PM
you do understand that the 350 Z, which has only 287hp still goes 0-60 in the same amount of time as a corvette, right?

On what planet does this happen?

hoss
10-26-2007, 11:58 PM
On what planet does this happen?

should have said about the same time... although, they arent too far off.

4.8s compared to 5.3s. the point of the statement though, was to say that this car is underpowered with 475hp and going to 60 mph in 3 seconds is pretty absurd.

Lingerfelt
10-27-2007, 12:06 AM
should have said about the same time... although, they arent too far off.

4.8s compared to 5.3s. the point of the statement though, was to say that this car is underpowered with 475hp and going to 60 mph in 3 seconds is pretty absurd.

Half a second is a huge difference, especially in 0-60 times. I'd also like to add that 4.8 0-60 for a Corvette is pretty slow.

The GTR has AWD, traction works wonders and 474 horsepower isn't exactly underpowered.

hoss
10-27-2007, 12:08 AM
id consider .5 seconds in the quarter to be vastly different than .5 secinds 0-60

Lingerfelt
10-27-2007, 12:13 AM
id consider .5 seconds in the quarter to be vastly different than .5 secinds 0-60

Half a second is half a second. Half a second in the quarter is a large difference too.

hoss
10-27-2007, 12:17 AM
agreed. but half a second 0-60, that can be made up in the rest of the quarter. when comparing speeds 0-60 is good to look at, but even a car that is faster 0-60 can be beaten on the top end.

and im not saying the 350 is going to do that to a corvette, was just an example :)

Lingerfelt
10-27-2007, 12:19 AM
agreed. but half a second 0-60, that can be made up in the rest of the quarter. when comparing speeds 0-60 is good to look at, but even a car that is faster 0-60 can be beaten on the top end.

and im not saying the 350 is going to do that to a corvette, was just an example :)

Ah, wasn't sure what you meant.

Ferendon
10-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Did you know the Chevy Aveo will get you to work at the LEGAL speed limit for nearly 1/10th the cost?

Did you know that Dual makes subwoofers also?

Does anybody want either? NO.
Apples and Oranges. People looking for basic transportation, like an Aveo, are going to look at cars in that class. People looking for a weekend fun car, like a GT-R, or 911, are going to look at cars in that class. People looking for Dual subwoofers, are usually in HS. And even then, some of them know better.

Ferendon
10-27-2007, 04:47 PM
when comparing speeds 0-60 is good to look at, but even a car that is faster 0-60 can be beaten on the top end.

Kinda like how my car pulls nasty on 350s from a punch? I drive a sedan with a sub-6 0-60. It's a 92 model, and it was $22k brand new.

SethPhillips
10-27-2007, 04:48 PM
yummmy

Ferendon
10-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Holy crap. You, for once, posted something that didn't make me want to punt babies.

W8 a minute
10-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Maybe I should base my opinion of Volkswagen on an '82 Volkswagen Fox ...

YOU OWN A PIECE OF ****, MORON !

Is this how you made 19,000 post? Dumb remarks like this?

At least my Sentra was made the same decade as the GTR. You can hardly compare any two cars that are 20 years apart. :rolleyes:

That's the problem with most automotive forums these days. Too many Fast and Furious wanna-be fan bois given each other a reach around for having a bigger deck wing. Nothing wrong with Japanese, but it hardly the only thing out there and just because a vehicle is Japanese doesn't guarantee any type of quality.

I owned that Sentra for 4 months in which I had 3 major recalls and 1 replaced engine. When the 2nd engine started exhibiting the same problems I traded it in. So far, the only issue in a year and a half with the Passat was a small leak that the dealer fixed and reflash of the transmissions ecu. I won't even mention the fact that that the VW FEELS 1000 times higher in quality than the Nissan. Any Nissan. There is a reason GM tried to imitate the Audi/VW interior in almost every one of their high line new cars/trucks.

When you arrive in a Porsche everyone will know it's a Porsche. When you arrive in that GT-R people are going to ask where you got the ugly body kit for your Cobalt. That's why a Porsche costs as much as it does.

Hintzyboy
10-27-2007, 11:23 PM
The looks of the car are a matter of opinion. I happen to think it's gorgeous. But the performance is undeniable. Someone here posted that it lapped the 'Ring (I'm assuming the Nordschlieffe) in about 7.5 minutes. That's roughly TWO MINUTES faster than the Corvette's time if I remember the numbers correctly from the article I read last night. This thing is going to be amazing. It may not draw buyers away from Porsche in droves (Porsche buyers are insanely loyal), but it shouldn't have any trouble selling. Chevy has sold a lot of corvettes based on the fact that it can beat Ferarris and Lambos, despite the fact that very few Ferarri buyers would look twice at a vette.

However, 80K is a lot for a nissan. I think that they would have better luck marketing it as an Infiniti. The other japanese supercars are going to be sold in the upmarket subsidiaries of their parent companies (Acura NSX, Lexus LF-A), so it would probably be a good idea for Nissan to follow suit. After all, if the Infiniti G37 can compete and win against a BMW (Motor Trend mashup of the G37 and 3-series coupes), there is no reason that the GT-R shouldn't be able to compete with Porsches and the like. Especially with a huge price advantage.

IgnoreMe
10-28-2007, 12:25 AM
ewwwwwww

that **** is gross as hell. what a dissapointment.

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 01:37 AM
The looks of the car are a matter of opinion. I happen to think it's gorgeous. But the performance is undeniable. Someone here posted that it lapped the 'Ring (I'm assuming the Nordschlieffe) in about 7.5 minutes. That's roughly TWO MINUTES faster than the Corvette's time if I remember the numbers correctly from the article I read last night. Chevy has sold a lot of corvettes based on the fact that it can beat Ferarris and Lambos, despite the fact that very few Ferarri buyers would look twice at a vette.

If you're going to compare a Vette with the GTR I think the only comparision would be the Z06 vs the GTR, being as the base Vette is well out of that price range. The Z06 did 7:48, I believe. I do not believe there is a 2 minute time gap between the Z06 and the C6.

IgnoreMe
10-28-2007, 01:45 AM
If you're going to compare a Vette with the GTR I think the only comparision would be the Z06 vs the GTR, being as the base Vette is well out of that price range. The Z06 did 7:48, I believe. I do not believe there is a 2 minute time gap between the Z06 and the C6.

no doubt.

i dont think some people understand how long two minutes on a race track really is lol

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 02:37 AM
no doubt.

i dont think some people understand how long two minutes on a race track really is lol

Yeah, even on a long track like the 'Ring, two minutes out of a 7.5 minute lap? You'd get lapped every 4 laps! :laugh:

sue bee
10-28-2007, 02:44 AM
wow i can't believe all of you domestic-owning rednecks don't like this import car.

IgnoreMe
10-28-2007, 02:45 AM
wow i can't believe all of you domestic-owning rednecks don't like this import car.

its ugly as hell :fyi:

its looks like a g35 that the terminator would drive.

Hintzyboy
10-28-2007, 02:45 AM

Well there's no way either car did the whole ring in that time, so the difference may just be because of testing on different portions of the track. I'm not sure which vette Motor Trend posted those numbers for, or even if I remembered them correctly. And even if the Z06 is that much closer, I can almost guarantee that the GT-R is more well-behaved. The Z06 is pretty **** tail-happy. I'm not saying one is better than the other (I'm a big fan of both), just that the GT-R is a formidable competitor.

sue bee
10-28-2007, 02:48 AM
its ugly as hell :fyi:

its looks like a g35 that the terminator would drive.

It's not ugly, unless you thought the original Skyline was ugly. It's like a streamlined version of the last Skyline. If you don't like that car's looks, you won't like this one. I don't know why any of this matters any way, the only person on here that can afford this car is blue.

IgnoreMe
10-28-2007, 02:53 AM
It's not ugly, unless you thought the original Skyline was ugly. It's like a streamlined version of the last Skyline. If you don't like that car's looks, you won't like this one. I don't know why any of this matters any way, the only person on here that can afford this car is blue.

i like the last skyline...i don't like this one.

how is that impossible?

edit: also it matters because its a discussion. whats wrong with talking about the looks of a car? no one should comment on lambos, ferraris, bentleys, etc either then, but we do, because its normal.

sue bee
10-28-2007, 02:54 AM
i like the last skyline...i don't like this one.

how is that impossible?

Do a side-by-side, that's how. This car, if not influenced, "draws from" the last Skyline a great deal. If someone who knows about cars was asked to match this car to its closest counterpart, they would def say the Skyline. That's how.

IgnoreMe
10-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Do a side-by-side, that's how. This car, if not influenced, "draws from" the last Skyline a great deal. If someone who knows about cars was asked to match this car to its closest counterpart, they would def say the Skyline. That's how.

and...i like the old skyline...and dont like this one...so again...how is it impossible for me to like one and not the other?

Hintzyboy
10-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Disregarding the looks of the car which is always an extension of personal taste, the fact remains that this car clocked in at 7:38 around Nordschleife, which bests the Mercedes-Benz/McLaren SLR, Bugatti Veyron, Chevrolet Z06, Ford GT, Lamborghini Murcielago, Pagani Zonda S, Porsche 997 Turbo, Porsche 997 GT3, etc.

If this ends up selling for $75,000 - $80,000, it will be one hell of a deal when it comes to performance for the price. In addition, one of the primary goals behind the GT-R is to allow even novices to drive it fast (I'm assuming this means it's relatively easy to control). Will it be a sales success ? Only time will tell. Will it be reliable ? Again, only time will tell.

In addition, Nissan also plans on releasing a high-end model, the GT-R V-Spec, which will bump power up to 530 bhp, include chassis refinements, and lower weight through the use of carbon fiber materials. If the standard GT-R can do 7:38, the V-Spec should be able to get down into the low-7:30s, which would put it in Porsche Carrera GT territory.

:word: I can't wait for this car to come out. I'm only going to ask for lotto tickets for Christmas and my birthday, in hopes that I win enough money to buy this. :)

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 08:33 PM

If anything it's a cross between an R34 GTR and the Skyline (G35), not drawing heavily from either.

The headlights look like a Celica's and the side vent is a typical side vent (which neither the R34 OR the G35 possess).

So what do you have left? Different sized round tail lights (R34)? Low slung roofline (G35)? Big, in your face, horizontally split grill (R34)?

Please, educate me...

hoss
10-28-2007, 08:37 PM
If anything it's a cross between an R34 GTR and the Skyline (G35), not drawing heavily from either.

The headlights look like a Celica's and the side vent is a typical side vent (which neither the R34 OR the G35 possess).

So what do you have left? Different sized round tail lights (R34)? Low slung roofline (G35)? Big, in your face, horizontally split grill (R34)?

Please, educate me...

there is no way that you could possibly be less informed... the GT-R has NOTHING shared or taken from the G35... please go and educate yourslef.

hoss
10-28-2007, 08:40 PM

if you are taking price in ot effect, compare the price of the GT-R to the Z06. the GT-R lies pretty much between the base corvette and the Z06 option of the corvette.

we are comparing base car to base car.

i dont care what you have to say, dollar for dollar, you are not going ot beat the GT-R :)

and please see my previous post where i inform you how little you know what the GT-R is. if you are going to try to argue against it, you should know some facts about it, and if you think it is based on the G35 chasis, you know nothing and should go bone up on some facts :)

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I'd also like to add that the 7:38 was not on OEM tires, but on slicks, so while I'm sure the time will still be impressive... it won't be 7:38.

:fyi::fyi::fyi::fyi::fyi::fyi::fyi::fyi:

hoss
10-28-2007, 08:41 PM
it wasnt done on slicks ;)

wasnt on OEM rubber, but wasnt done on straight slicks either :)

its already been discussed on the 350 forums about how it was done on carved up soft rubber. but wasnt done on flat out slicks.

the 7:38 was also done in wet weather also :fyi:

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 08:41 PM
there is no way that you could possibly be less informed... the GT-R has NOTHING shared or taken from the G35... please go and educate yourslef.

Take a step back Hoss, and remember that the G35 is the last Skyline, if you didn't know. And if you'd read what I said, the only thing the G35 has in common with the GTR is a "low slung roofline" which was sarcasm intended for Sue Bee.

reading >

azbass
10-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Disregarding the looks of the car which is always an extension of personal taste, the fact remains that this car clocked in at 7:38 around Nordschleife, which bests the Mercedes-Benz/McLaren SLR, Bugatti Veyron, Chevrolet Z06, Ford GT, Lamborghini Murcielago, Pagani Zonda S, Porsche 997 Turbo, Porsche 997 GT3, etc.

# 6:55 - Radical SR8, 360 PS/650 kg, Michael Vergers (28 Sep 2005)
# 7:11 - McLaren F1 (GTR?), Mika Hakkinen, [2] (* not an official source)
# 7:12 - Radical SR3 Turbo, 320 PS/500 kg (test drive 07/03)
# 7:14 - Donkervoort D8 RS, 398 PS/760 kg, Michael Düchting (sport auto 11/05)
# 7:15 - Edo Porsche 996 GT2 RS, 542 PS/1284 kg, de:Patrick Simon (sport auto 09/05)
# 7:18 - Donkervoort D8 RS, 370 PS/670 kg, Michael Düchting (sport auto 12/04)
# 7:28 - Pagani Zonda F Clubsport, 650 PS/1230 kg (09/07)
# 7:28 - Porsche Carrera GT, 612 PS/1380 kg, Walter Röhrl, (Autobild 07/04)
# 7.32 - Porsche Carrera GT (Sport Auto Trophy, driven by Horst von Saurma)
# 7:32 - Pagani Zonda F, 602 PS/1230 kg (Michael Duchting)
# 7.32 - Porsche 997 GT2 2008 (Motor Authority, Autobild, driven by Walter Röhrl, complaining after the lap that he had to pass eleven other cars "Ich musste elf Autos ueberholen")
# 7.32 - Gemballa Porsche GTR 600 PS/1380 kg (Gemballa)
# 7:34 - Koenigsegg CCR, 806 PS/1140 kg (cold conditions), Horst von Saurma (sport auto), Oct 17-18 2005
# 7:38 - Nissan GT-R, 480PS/1720kg 26,600 Meter Timing September 2007 (Nissan's Kazutoshi Mizuno reported the car was running on cut slicks instead of production)

unless this is out of date. but yeah. the car did quite well.

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 08:45 PM
if you are taking price in ot effect, compare the price of the GT-R to the Z06. the GT-R lies pretty much between the base corvette and the Z06 option of the corvette.

we are comparing base car to base car.

Again, speaking of facts :fyi: the Z06 starts at $71K. How is $70-80K in between
$46K (Base C6) and $71K (Base Z06).

Comparing a C6 at $46K to a GTR at $70K is idiotic. :fyi:

hoss
10-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Take a step back Hoss, and remember that the G35 is the last Skyline, if you didn't know. And if you'd read what I said, the only thing the G35 has in common with the GTR is a "low slung roofline" which was sarcasm intended for Sue Bee.

reading >
yes, but to compare it to the G35 is wrong, it is not based on anything that the G35 shares. if you havent seen the new chassi that nissan/infiniti has you are living in a cave....

# 6:55 - Radical SR8, 360 PS/650 kg, Michael Vergers (28 Sep 2005)
# 7:11 - McLaren F1 (GTR?), Mika Hakkinen, [2] (* not an official source)
# 7:12 - Radical SR3 Turbo, 320 PS/500 kg (test drive 07/03)
# 7:14 - Donkervoort D8 RS, 398 PS/760 kg, Michael Düchting (sport auto 11/05)
# 7:15 - Edo Porsche 996 GT2 RS, 542 PS/1284 kg, de:Patrick Simon (sport auto 09/05)
# 7:18 - Donkervoort D8 RS, 370 PS/670 kg, Michael Düchting (sport auto 12/04)
# 7:28 - Pagani Zonda F Clubsport, 650 PS/1230 kg (09/07)
# 7:28 - Porsche Carrera GT, 612 PS/1380 kg, Walter Röhrl, (Autobild 07/04)
# 7.32 - Porsche Carrera GT (Sport Auto Trophy, driven by Horst von Saurma)
# 7:32 - Pagani Zonda F, 602 PS/1230 kg (Michael Duchting)
# 7.32 - Porsche 997 GT2 2008 (Motor Authority, Autobild, driven by Walter Röhrl, complaining after the lap that he had to pass eleven other cars "Ich musste elf Autos ueberholen")
# 7.32 - Gemballa Porsche GTR 600 PS/1380 kg (Gemballa)
# 7:34 - Koenigsegg CCR, 806 PS/1140 kg (cold conditions), Horst von Saurma (sport auto), Oct 17-18 2005
# 7:38 - Nissan GT-R, 480PS/1720kg 26,600 Meter Timing September 2007 (Nissan's Kazutoshi Mizuno reported the car was running on cut slicks instead of production)

unless this is out of date. but yeah. the car did quite well.

:ohsnap:
so you mean this car is fast?

hoss
10-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Again, speaking of facts :fyi: the Z06 starts at $71K. How is $70-80K in between

your right, neither the C6 or the Z06 option can touch this car :D

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 08:47 PM
yes, but to compare it to the G35 is wrong, it is not based on anything that the G35 shares. if you havent seen the new chassi that nissan/infiniti has you are living in a cave....

:ohsnap:
so you mean this car is fast?

Again, reading > you.

Read what I said. Please tell me what little hope I have that you're not a ******* isn't futile.

sue bee
10-28-2007, 08:48 PM

You're a douche bag nit-picker. :fyi: And don't worry, you're right. This Skyline looks nothing like the R34. Why don't you come off that high horse a bit and communicate within your knowledge bounds?

azbass
10-28-2007, 08:49 PM
oh and if you did not catch it

Nissan's Kazutoshi Mizuno reported the car was running on cut slicks instead of production

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 08:52 PM
You're a douche bag nit-picker. :fyi: And don't worry, you're right. This Skyline looks nothing like the R34. Why don't you come off that high horse a bit and communicate within your knowledge bounds?

I'm not on a high horse. Don't make statements without being able to back them up.

<<-- In case you didn't notice the avatar, I'm a car enthusiast. If I go out into the Car Audio forums and start saying ****, I would expect you to do the same to me, and I wouldn't insult you for it. :fyi:

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 08:52 PM
And again, if you didn't catch it ^

Trey803
10-28-2007, 08:53 PM
your right, neither the C6 or the Z06 option can touch this car :D

lingenfelter corvettes would take shits on this car

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 08:54 PM

And a modifed Skyline would **** on the Lingenfelter.

hoss

ok, then take a GT-R with some bolt on turbo upgrades against it :)

lingenfelter is not a stock car, is it? why not compare apples to apples *******?

Trey803
and its ugly IMO...has nothing compared to the beauty of the older skylines

hoss
10-28-2007, 08:55 PM
And a modifed Skyline would **** on the Lingenfelter.

hey, we can agree! lol

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 08:56 PM
why not compare apples to apples *******?

Says the man willing to compare a GTR's time on slicks in the wet to another car's OEM tires in the dry....

Trey803
10-28-2007, 08:56 PM
ok, then take a GT-R with some bolt on turbo upgrades against it :)

lingenfelter is not a stock car, is it? why not compare apples to apples *******?

point proven:any car can be made fast so why buy an ugly *** car

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 08:58 PM
hey, we can agree! lol

Rarity. :)

hoss
10-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Says the man willing to compare a GTR's time on slicks in the wet to another car's OEM tires in the dry....

strap some carved slicks on the Z06 and take it around the ring in wet conditions, and i would like to see it do the same time...

hoss
10-28-2007, 09:07 PM
point proven:any car can be made fast so why buy an ugly *** car

ugly is subjective. quick is undeniable :). and fast out of the box > fast with more money IMO.

azbass
10-28-2007, 09:07 PM

*ahem* thats cut slicks.

:)

hoss
10-28-2007, 09:08 PM
im not trying to act like a fanboi of the GT-R, but i still attest that dollar for dollar, nothing is going to touch this car...

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 09:10 PM
strap some carved slicks on the Z06 and take it around the ring in wet conditions, and i would like to see it do the same time...

It wouldn't, at all, however, do you really know how wet it was?

When they do a true test, we'll see the results.

And I'm not denying they will be impressive.

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 09:11 PM
*ahem* thats cut slicks.

:)

Ah yes, shall remember to use all necessary adjectives. :)

Lingerfelt
10-28-2007, 09:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

Check it out, very interesting to see the times of some of these cars.

Also good if you'd like to quote official sentences like AZBass. :)

hoss
10-28-2007, 09:14 PM

again, ill agree with you :)

ive been waiting to see some skid pad results of the car. they came out with "big news" that it pulled 2g's, but then later said that it was on the nurbirgring, which means it was probably in the high banked corner, and was not lateral.

its not going to be the hands down *** spanker, but for a factory released sports car at its price point, it is going to be **** hard to beat...

Qbenjamin
10-28-2007, 09:15 PM
$70K > Meh

I guess I can stop dreaming.

Hintzyboy
10-29-2007, 12:06 AM

Not really. The current Z06 is already tailhappy. There is no way the Lingenfelter would make it out of the 'Ring intact unless you pulled back significantly on the curves. Hell when Motor Trend did a comparo of Third-party-tuned super cars (including a Hennessey Venom Viper, a couple mustangs, and I think another c6), they could barely launch the thing because of all the fishtailing, and they ended up destroying the rear diff on one hard launch (I think after they switched to grippier tires, possibly slicks). Bottom line, I doubt the Lingenfelter Z06 would be able to utilize enough of its exra power to gain much on a car like the GT-R, which was engineered with curvy roads in mind.

Fast1one
10-29-2007, 01:29 PM
:laugh: Everyone has a flop, and Nissan's Q series is no different, hell even Nissan fanatics admit that its a ****** engine, which is why many of them are swapping VQs...;)

Is this how you made 19,000 post? Dumb remarks like this?

At least my Sentra was made the same decade as the GTR. You can hardly compare any two cars that are 20 years apart. :rolleyes:

That's the problem with most automotive forums these days. Too many Fast and Furious wanna-be fan bois given each other a reach around for having a bigger deck wing. Nothing wrong with Japanese, but it hardly the only thing out there and just because a vehicle is Japanese doesn't guarantee any type of quality.

I owned that Sentra for 4 months in which I had 3 major recalls and 1 replaced engine. When the 2nd engine started exhibiting the same problems I traded it in. So far, the only issue in a year and a half with the Passat was a small leak that the dealer fixed and reflash of the transmissions ecu. I won't even mention the fact that that the VW FEELS 1000 times higher in quality than the Nissan. Any Nissan. There is a reason GM tried to imitate the Audi/VW interior in almost every one of their high line new cars/trucks.

When you arrive in a Porsche everyone will know it's a Porsche. When you arrive in that GT-R people are going to ask where you got the ugly body kit for your Cobalt. That's why a Porsche costs as much as it does.

Ferendon
10-31-2007, 03:53 AM
I'd also like to add that the 7:38 was not on OEM tires, but on slicks, so while I'm sure the time will still be impressive... it won't be 7:38.

:fyi::fyi::fyi::fyi::fyi::fyi::fyi::fyi:

This has to do with the fact that most cars don't come with 'Ring-rated tires. There's probably not a street tire that can handle what the GT-R would dish out around the 'Ring.

im not trying to act like a fanboi of the GT-R, but i still attest that dollar for dollar, nothing is going to touch this car...
Word.

I'm sure some magazine will have an answer to this question as soon as a production model hits a car lot.

Not really. The current Z06 is already tailhappy. There is no way the Lingenfelter would make it out of the 'Ring intact unless you pulled back significantly on the curves. Hell when Motor Trend did a comparo of Third-party-tuned super cars (including a Hennessey Venom Viper, a couple mustangs, and I think another c6), they could barely launch the thing because of all the fishtailing, and they ended up destroying the rear diff on one hard launch (I think after they switched to grippier tires, possibly slicks). Bottom line, I doubt the Lingenfelter Z06 would be able to utilize enough of its exra power to gain much on a car like the GT-R, which was engineered with curvy roads in mind.

Could this be due to inferior chassis design? The 'vette is still rockin' leaf springs for Christ's sake. And I work with a LOT of Ford. The new Mustang is FAR from impressive, in every category. Even the 'vette proves that the Viper is of inferior design. And the vette itself is of inferior design. They have tweaked and tuned the **** out of that car, just to handle the stock power levels, and even so, it doesn't do so very well.

Hintzyboy
10-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Could this be due to inferior chassis design? The 'vette is still rockin' leaf springs for Christ's sake. And I work with a LOT of Ford. The new Mustang is FAR from impressive, in every category. Even the 'vette proves that the Viper is of inferior design. And the vette itself is of inferior design. They have tweaked and tuned the **** out of that car, just to handle the stock power levels, and even so, it doesn't do so very well.

Chevy is apparently going to put a pretty nice suspension in the next version of the vette. The new vette isn't inferior, it's actually a very nice piece of machinery. chevy just missed the mark in a couple places. And I don't think it's rocking just any old leaf springs IIRC. The vette is a solid platform, with a few things that need to be remedied. unfortunately, most vette tuners are more interested in huge horsepower than being able to take a turn. I would be very surprised if Lingenfelter did much of anything to the suspension of the Z06 they tuned for the showdown i mentioned.

W8 a minute
10-31-2007, 04:22 PM
About the only benefit coils springs have over leaf springs in this situation is weight. Even then I think the Vette's leaf spring is composite although I'm not certain.

You say "rockin leaf springs" like it's a 1970 F100 Ford truck when the Vette has a fully independent suspension which is totally different.

None of these cars are made for drag racing so having a poor launch does not surprise me.

Hintzyboy
10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
About the only benefit coils springs have over leaf springs in this situation is weight. Even then I think the Vette's leaf spring is composite although I'm not certain.

You say "rockin leaf springs" like it's a 1970 F100 Ford truck when the Vette has a fully independent suspension which is totally different.

None of these cars are made for drag racing so having a poor launch does not surprise me.

:fyi: the 'vette doesn't keep the tires down around turns either. Thus, the suspension and/or tires are insufficient. It has been repeatedly stated that the 'vette is exceedingly tail happy

Lingerfelt
10-31-2007, 07:46 PM
This has to do with the fact that most cars don't come with 'Ring-rated tires. There's probably not a street tire that can handle what the GT-R would dish out around the 'Ring.

Eh? As if the GTR is the most powerful, amazingly nimble car out there?

That is a very poor excuse, "Oh yeah, our car would have been faster, but you know... those tires, they just weren't up to it..."

That's like the guy suggesting a Lingenfelter would **** on this car around the 'Ring saying, "The Lingenfelter would've killed the GTR... but the tires just couldn't handle all the power, so they spun the entire time. If we would've hooked up, the LPE would've STOMPED YOU!"

Ferendon
11-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Never said the GT-R was the best of anything, expect for performance-for-the-dollar value.

But you mean to tell me, that just any old tire will make it around the 'Ring, at full blast? I'm just suggesting that the selected OE tire, at the time of testing, was not up to the task. And who knows, maybe they did it because they didn't know WTH to expect? They're not testing just a new car, but a new platform. When the 07 Vettes ran the 'Ring, they had some sort of idea, of what to expect. I just think it's a "just to be sure" type of deal. The Lingenfelter is fast. Really fast. Faster than the GT-R. But I don't see it outrunning a GT-R by very much, if at all, on a track like Nurburgring.

Lingerfelt
11-02-2007, 10:24 PM
But you mean to tell me, that just any old tire will make it around the 'Ring, at full blast? I'm just suggesting that the selected OE tire, at the time of testing, was not up to the task. And who knows, maybe they did it because they didn't know WTH to expect?

Gotcha. I can't wait to see the real time around the 'Ring.

hoss
11-13-2007, 01:40 PM
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94837

:drool:

Louisiana_CRX
11-16-2007, 09:26 AM
If you want black interior instead of grey bring it to Unique Whips let Reme' spray paint it for you :rolleyes:

Hintzyboy
11-16-2007, 02:05 PM
If you want black interior instead of grey bring it to Unique Whips let Reme' spray paint it for you :rolleyes:

Eww. I would never bring a car to that company. There is nothing unique about slapping a strut grill, JL equipment, and a standard sealed box with an oval-shaped beauty panel on EVERY vehicle that comes through the shop. Reme does seem to have some fabbing skills, but that's about it.

hoss
11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
hey lingenfelter, seen the cover of the newest motor trend mag? ;)

:p: . i just saw it in the store and couldnt resist lol.

elementxero
11-20-2007, 08:16 PM
I still think this car looks ****.

hoss
11-20-2007, 10:04 PM
indeed. nissan showed up to a GT-R meet in cali with two US spec R35's, caught everyone by suprise.

and with everything this car is equipped with, lets you adjust, gives you control over, and shows you on the display the car is a technology playground.