PDA

View Full Version : Mustang work log (with pics)

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Well, finaly getting around to putting a system back in the stang. Kinda basic but should be pretty loud.

Hifonics BXi 2006D
2X 06 Kicker L7 12"
6 Farad cap (was gonna get a Kinetics, but this was easier to install and I am lazy with my own stuff)

Box comes in right about 4.9 Cubes, port is 5.5 x 11.25 and is tuned to 35Hz.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1188/s5000500fh7.jpg

camera was dead durring construction. She isnt pretty. but I already know I am gonna have to take out my rear seats and kick it in to place. Just hope it fits.

NoPh33rRaCiNg
10-24-2007, 10:59 AM
what is the height on that? the width is gonna be cutting it close, i hated the room in my old 94.

2000Gator
10-24-2007, 11:11 AM
guess its a fox based on your name, what year and model 5.0? need some pics!

andytb
10-24-2007, 11:12 AM
looks good enough

woahturbo
10-24-2007, 11:16 AM
should get pretty loud

Louisiana_CRX
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Are you forward firing or rear firing it?

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
crap... lost the message so here goes again...

its a 98 mustang GT with the Mach 460 (so I got that ****** amp rack in the way)

the box is 13" tall, already gonna have to kick it in prolly to get it under the amp rack / speaker pod.

As for the forward firing it.. I am concerned about the space between the woofers and rear of car not being enough. I had considered forward firing it, notching the bracket that holds the seat in, and glassing it to make a cavity between the rear seats and the box. That way whenever the kids not in the car I could fold seats down and it would look pimp, but for now I am gonna just try to rear fire them and hope I get away with it... if it sounds like poop, then my next project I post here will be with a saws-all and fiberglass.

the wife is at the barn with the camera right now, so no new pics yet, but I am laying the mat now, will post some pics when she gets back. Just hope 5 sheets of extreme is enough...

Max_Power
10-24-2007, 11:58 AM
looks interesting, my brother has a 95 GT.

you'll be my guinea pig for his system if he ever pays me to do his.....

UCF52
10-24-2007, 12:00 PM
crap... lost the message so here goes again...

its a 98 mustang GT with the Mach 460 (so I got that ****** amp rack in the way)

the box is 13" tall, already gonna have to kick it in prolly to get it under the amp rack / speaker pod.

As for the forward firing it.. I am concerned about the space between the woofers and rear of car not being enough. I had considered forward firing it, notching the bracket that holds the seat in, and glassing it to make a cavity between the rear seats and the box. That way whenever the kids not in the car I could fold seats down and it would look pimp, but for now I am gonna just try to rear fire them and hope I get away with it... if it sounds like poop, then my next project I post here will be with a saws-all and fiberglass.

the wife is at the barn with the camera right now, so no new pics yet, but I am laying the mat now, will post some pics when she gets back. Just hope 5 sheets of extreme is enough...

I have an '01 with the Mach 460 and the height in mine from trunk floor to amp rack/speaker pod was only 11 inches. Your best bet is to remove it anyways. I assume you have powered speakers up front to keep up with the L7's, so the rears won't be necessary. It's possible the measurements in our cars are different, so I was just throwing that out there.

GMCJimmyslt2000
10-24-2007, 12:39 PM
98-01...they changed body types and pry trunks size...i worked in 01 and there was very lil room in it, a prefab could barely fit into it.

UCF52
10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
98-01...they changed body types and pry trunks size...i worked in 01 and there was very lil room in it, a prefab could barely fit into it.

Yea, very little room. I hope the OP measured before hand. Also there is a little bump that's about 8-12 inches in on the trunk floor that you should account for.

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 01:24 PM
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/2134/s5000504cb7.jpg

I measured and was gonna go for 12.5 high (already stuffing) but the guy did my rips wrong (I don't have my own table saw :-( ) and now its 13. Plastic is soft though, and sheet metal has alot of flex too it too.. I am not too concerned about the hight, though that could come back to get me... well see

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
man.... it used to be when I got my new stereo stuff in, I would stay up THAT night and get it all done, usually around 3AM I am riding down someone else's block, so i don't **** off my neighbors when I drop my first few tones.... Now when I get it in, I am still happy, but it actually feels like work putting it in... oh well, price we pay right.

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 02:11 PM
all out of dynamat now.... moving onto wirring. Working slow and by myself, should have some pics up tonight of finished system... unless the box doesn't fit of coarse

UCF52
10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
It's usually that bump that gets people. I actually bent back some of the sheet metal that runs across the top to fit the first box I put in.

tsenfw
10-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Very interested in this I have a 2000. When dynomatting do you do everything except the opening to inside the car?

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 02:55 PM
If its a small metal lump, I may do the same thing I did in my CRX back in the day... little sapurfalous bumps are easy taken down by a 5lb mallet... Just got to make sure they are not needed for suspention travle and such. Anyway, I'll cross that bridge when it comes, for now, power wire through the firewall, all hookups to the radio made. Should have put that in first post.

Radio = PIONEER DEH-P780MP PREMIER

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Very interested in this I have a 2000. When dynomatting do you do everything except the opening to inside the car?

I bought this kit : http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5249_Dynamat+Xtreme+20%27+Trunk+Kit+19405.htm l (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5249_Dynamat+Xtreme+20%27+Trunk+Kit+19405.htm l)

I wish I had about 2 or three more sheets, but I think I was able to hit most everything I should have. once I pulled the side panels off, there is some frame there near the wheel wells, you want to get in behind there so that your actually getting as much mat on those rear quarter panels as you can. Also, I tryed to get as much inside the trunk lid as I could. Small fingers help here... unfortunately mine arnt small and are now cut a little bit. whats a good install if you don't bleed a little though.

Basically go for any large flat area you see, as these will flex the most, and be more prone to vibrating and soaking up the energy being put off by your subs.

I should add though, this is actually my first time using dynamat, anyone with more to add... please do.

Heres some pics of the spots I was talking about:
Inside the wells
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9207/s5000502or8.jpg

Anywhere you can get to the skin of the trunk lid
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/244/s5000503sh7.jpg

tsenfw
10-24-2007, 03:10 PM
thanks!

Hmmm your 98 is more different than my 00 than I thought. My opening from the back seats is smaller but I dont' think I have a bump.

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 03:12 PM
I think there almost Identical actualy. theres a bracket your used to seeing, you can easily take the whole back seat out and it gives you like another 2 inches. take it out, insert box, put it back

tsenfw
10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Ha really? COuldn't get the back seat out, it was pissing me off! I have a haynes manual too and know exactly what to do to take it out. It's just in there so tight I can't get it out.

I wound up just build a shallow and wide box like the JL's for a single 10. That's all I have right now anyways. Just amp probs now, my output ***** for the amps ratings :(

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 03:43 PM
just to give you a idea how much come out when you get the seats out. Notice the old 8 gauge somone left for me ;-)
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/399/s5000505ij5.jpg

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 04:37 PM
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9864/s5000506qe4.jpg

speakers mounted, I think there ****.

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 05:21 PM
well..... So far this round goes to the stang, had to knotch it in the corners.... Oh well, soon as my step dad gets back I'll try to push it in again... this thing is heavy. Gonna be pissed if I have to go sealed

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Stang is playing hardball... so tommorow we dance. All right you can see what I am stuck with here..... so tommorow drop the factory amp rack and that stupid plastic enclosure for the rear 6 X 8s. Spin the box around, slide it in so woofers fire forward (no room otherwise) and see how she sounds. Pretty handy witht he wood and never tryed glassing somethign before, so may just get some fasteners, get it all done with wood, and carpet over.... I'll honestly just be happy to get it playing right though. heres what she looks like now though.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9205/s5000514wb5.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4158/s5000515ac8.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6843/s5000516kn6.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2778/s5000517oj6.jpg

elite08
10-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Looks good.

sxkicker89
10-24-2007, 05:48 PM
how big is yopur box.i have a 03 stang and im gettin those subs.my mach 460 amp rack is gonbe so much more room.

UCF52
10-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Yes, removing the 460 amp rack/box is a must, otherwise your looking at 11 inches tops! Take a hammer and have at it on the sheet metal that lines the top of the opening or if you have room slide the box in with the short side forward and then spin it back when you get it through. I would suggest firing the subs towards the rear. I have a mustang and have tried it both ways and the rear firing is louder.

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 05:55 PM
35 X 28 X 12.75 (external)
33.5 X 26.5 X 11.25

Port:
11.25 x 5.5 x 21

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 05:57 PM
rear firing would leave about 3 inches between rear of car and woofers, and the box completly fills the opening so its almost sealed off from the cabin if facing rear.

UCF52
10-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow, that's a big box! I didn't think it was that deep. Have you fired them up yet? How do they sound?

UCF52
10-24-2007, 06:04 PM
You could always try a sealed box out, they're cheap to build.

astross89
10-24-2007, 06:26 PM
listen, i know i lot of people like ported boxs. but if you need room make a 3cube box (1.5 each) sealed, fired back. i promise it will hit good. solos perform very well in a sealed box. hope that helps.

sxkicker89
10-24-2007, 07:16 PM
yea that is a big box.deff u should take the mach amp rack out.u can get like 16 inches in ht with it out.im goin ported box for my l7 but need some1 to tell me wat i can get with 45l/16ht/34d

DarkFox
10-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Take a hammer and have at it on the sheet metal that lines the top of the opening or if you have room slide the box in with the short side forward and then spin it back when you get it through. I would suggest firing the subs towards the rear. I have a mustang and have tried it both ways and the rear firing is louder.

Well I dont need to hammer it, thats what I made the notches in it with the saws-all and the jigsaw. I can now slide it straight in.... At least till I hit the amp rack.. and yeah, it is big. the total volume it consumes is about 7.37 cubic feet. Alot for a mustang. Also, with the length of this box, there is no spinning it once I get it in the trunk.

When I get the amp rack out tommorow, I will slide it in, as it is sitting that way in my car right now, and see how much space I would have with seats up. If its less then the ports width away, i am gonna face it forward, if not, I will try it to the rear for a while. I just wont trim the power wires and such till i am sure what way it is gonna face.

Thanks for all the input guys, cant wait to here this thing for myself!!! I even think our digital camera can take videos, I'll have to get some up when I can as well.

CrackerStealth
10-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Wow, this brings me back. Well only about a year, but still. Once a mustang has a set of subs in there, it doesn't really have much room afterwords for anything.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/CrackerStealth/In%20Car%20Entertainment/SubBox-Construction17.jpg

gothsm
10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
nice photos, I hope to see the finished product

saywhat?
10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
listen, i know i lot of people like ported boxs. but if you need room make a 3cube box (1.5 each) sealed, fired back. i promise it will hit good. solos perform very well in a sealed box. hope that helps.

speak when you actually KNOW something. PLEASE.

astross89
10-24-2007, 08:55 PM
speak when you actually KNOW something. PLEASE.
wow, never said it would be louder are better just that they do well in sealed box's. but next time I have a question I'll make sure i ask you almighty one

DarkFox
10-25-2007, 11:06 AM
wow.. easy guys. I do appreciate all the advice though.

Astoss, the sealed box had accrued to me, however if I get this box to fit in there, I should be MUCH louder. Though I do agree, L7's do all right in a sealed box as well.

I already took a saws all to the car though, I don't intend to give up and go sealed just yet ;-) Before my **** got ganked on me while I was deployed, I used to have a wall in there with 2 original Orion HCCA 15's and 2x HCCA 250Rs powering them.... Would have a wall again, if it wasn't for the kid now. lol

Anyway, its overcast and crappy outside again today, having a hard time getting myself going. Need to head to walmart and get some supplies. Gonna pick up some fiberglass material too just in case I need to go that route, don't want to have to make 2 trips today. Will post some pics as I work.

DarkFox
10-25-2007, 11:18 AM
yea that is a big box.deff u should take the mach amp rack out.u can get like 16 inches in ht with it out.im goin ported box for my l7 but need some1 to tell me wat i can get with 45l/16ht/34d

L X W X H / 1728

easy dude, in your case, 14.17 cubic feet

DarkFox
10-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Well the mustang conceded a little ground today, as you can see the factory amp rack is out. I am about to run to the hardware store to grab some bolts. What I am gonna do to keep my rear speakers is this. The cutout they push against on the bottom isn't cutout for the frame of the speaker, however, cause the slant of the rear window on the mustangs, i cant get screws in there. What I am gonna do is get some small nuts and bolts, drill out some new mounting points, top mount the factory mids and highs, and strap the factory amps somewhere still TBD, but I think this may work.... just alot more project then I originally thought.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1748/s5000518th0.jpg

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1897/s5000519wl9.jpg

UCF52
10-25-2007, 05:14 PM
If I was you I would just ditch the factory equipment altogether. It just isn't worth it (to me at least) to go out of your way to mount the factory junk back in there. If you just went with a simple powered component set up front that would be plenty of speaker for you. Your stereo is only going to sound as good as your weakest component. Just something to think about.

btw - glad to see you were able to fit the box in there.

DarkFox
10-25-2007, 05:28 PM
UCF can you define powered front? I mean you make it sound like its something simple to slap in.... I would be getting rid of factory amp to put in another amp and speakers, having to circumvent all factory wiring, and run my own stuff, and that is easier? Also, you said only as good as your weakest link.... Don't you think 2 dead channels is a pretty weak link off the start? Now all that said, there are modules that you get to adapt the factory wiring for aftermarket amp, but the filtering my radio allows me to set up, combined with the factory amps, isn't too bad a sound. I got hifonics up front and do plan on putting something else in the back, thats why i want to keep the channels live.

Thanks for the ideas though, I come off harsh sometimes when I try to get my point out, not what I intend. On a side note the Mach 460 was named as such as its peak output is 460w and its RMS is 230.... (don't get me started on how bad it pisses me off when companies rate peak power as 2x RMS as the real conversion is RMS x the square root of 2 = peak) But anyway, factory setup capable of more RMS power then a good radio, without having to add any amps. With the clean signal coming from pioneer deck, there not bad.

UCF52
10-25-2007, 06:00 PM
UCF can you define powered front? I mean you make it sound like its something simple to slap in.... I would be getting rid of factory amp to put in another amp and speakers, having to circumvent all factory wiring, and run my own stuff, and that is easier? Also, you said only as good as your weakest link.... Don't you think 2 dead channels is a pretty weak link off the start? Now all that said, there are modules that you get to adapt the factory wiring for aftermarket amp, but the filtering my radio allows me to set up, combined with the factory amps, isn't too bad a sound. I got hifonics up front and do plan on putting something else in the back, thats why i want to keep the channels live.

Thanks for the ideas though, I come off harsh sometimes when I try to get my point out, not what I intend. On a side note the Mach 460 was named as such as its peak output is 460w and its RMS is 230.... (don't get me started on how bad it pisses me off when companies rate peak power as 2x RMS as the real conversion is RMS x the square root of 2 = peak) But anyway, factory setup capable of more RMS power then a good radio, without having to add any amps. With the clean signal coming from pioneer deck, there not bad.

Anybody will tell you it is a night and day difference when you compare stock speakers (powered or not) vs. powered aftermarket speakers. The Mach 460 stereo is nice for a factory setup, but when compared to even a budget aftermarket setup it would be put to shame. That being said, it can be more than slapping the speakers in there depending on what size and type (coaxial or component) you may get. If you have the extra cash, maybe 200 or so, you could get a really nice component set up front that would compliment your sub stage. If you browse the speaker forum you will find that running rear speakers, especially in a coupe, is not necessary at all. When installing aftermarket speakers you don't need to use the factory wiring. Like your amp for your sub you would run the RCA's from the HU to the speaker amp and then wires from the speaker amp to the speakers (or crossovers). Because you have a very hefty sub stage, I suggest you look into upgrading your front stage.

Oh, and I never read into how people are coming off when posting on the internet. It's too hard to tell how people are expressing themselves, so I usually assume the best. :D

edit - my suggestion would be to browse around the speaker forum for a bit.

DarkFox
10-25-2007, 06:23 PM
yeah, like I said, I'm not going to upgrade the factory amps for now, but I do want to upgrade all the factory speakers. so far I got Hifonics in the doors, gonna probably slap another set of hifonics in the rear, and I am looking at some infinities or kickers for the 4 - 3 1/2's (or whatever they are.

alpinetypeR
10-25-2007, 06:33 PM
yeah, like I said, I'm not going to upgrade the factory amps for now, but I do want to upgrade all the factory speakers. so far I got Hifonics in the doors, gonna probably slap another set of hifonics in the rear, and I am looking at some infinities or kickers for the 4 - 3 1/2's (or whatever they are.

with the M 460 system dont you have to bipass te factory amps to put an aftermarket radio in?

so if you did this then your aftermarket speakers wouldnt be powered by your factory amp. how did you go about installing the radio to the factory amps and also getting the sound to come out?

DarkFox
10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
buy the right adapter ;-)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5961.html
and
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5272.html
and
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5932.html
=
factory amps still used with a clean signal supplied by aftermarket radio

MSimz
10-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Brings back memories of my 02. Here is an in-progress pic of my 3 x Infinity Perfect 10s.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/372000-372999/372702_100_full.jpg

Other setups I had in that car were
2 x S10L5s
1 x Brahma 15
1 x IDMAX 12
3 x Diamond CM3s
1 x JL 13W7
1 x JBL W10GTI
All were ported.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/372000-372999/372702_12_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/372000-372999/372702_14_full.jpg

^^In-progress pics of the 13w7 box.

I have other pics too if interested, including kicks.

I live in Middletown, too, so if you need any help, let me know. I have a table saw and ****, so if I can be of any help, just say so. Good luck with the rest of the install.
- Mike

P.S. - I found that my 2 L5s were loudest facing forward.

DarkFox
10-25-2007, 08:56 PM
looks pretty sweet, I'm trying to keep the interior stock... don't know why cause my car is pretty crappy, mainly ease of car seat instalation... lol.

Anyway, rear mids installed, got the cable bundle split open. Just need to lengthen 2 wires (the yellow, and black w/green in the pic of the left side amp.) Say what you may, but I don't think the factory amps look bad back there. Got them tucked up and out of the way now. Will be easy to get the cables out of the way once I add a little length.

Heres the pics for the night. Its not alot of progress for the day, but i was stuck in the house about 3/4 of the day.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5783/s5000538fi7.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/634/s5000539as7.jpg

UCF52
10-25-2007, 09:44 PM
I have other pics too if interested, including kicks.

More pics!! or a link. :)

DarkFox
10-25-2007, 10:16 PM
get your own thread!!! lol

MSimz
10-25-2007, 10:25 PM
More pics!! or a link. :)

Buildup of the kicks
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/372000-372999/372702_10_full.jpg

Test fitting them into the car
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/372000-372999/372702_11_full.jpg

Test fitting drivers
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/372000-372999/372702_9_full.jpg

Sadly, I don't have many more pics of the audio... my old computer died years ago with all of my pics on it. I only have a few left from friends and whatever was still on the cardomain server. If you guys have any Mustang specific issues or questions, let me know... maybe I can help.

UCF52
10-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Buildup of the kicks
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/372000-372999/372702_10_full.jpg

Test fitting them into the car
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/372000-372999/372702_11_full.jpg

Test fitting drivers
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/372000-372999/372702_9_full.jpg

Sadly, I don't have many more pics of the audio... my old computer died years ago with all of my pics on it. I only have a few left from friends and whatever was still on the cardomain server. If you guys have any Mustang specific issues or questions, let me know... maybe I can help.

Yea I hate to thread jack, but it's ok because he's a fellow mustang owner :D

Didn't the kicks get in the way??

DarkFox
10-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Well its not raining today, so hopefully I can finish, starting alot earlier today then yesterday.

Hey Mike, how old are you? Only reason I ask is I was born and raised in Middletown and Portland!

UCF52
10-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Well its not raining today, so hopefully I can finish, starting alot earlier today then yesterday.

Hey Mike, how old are you? Only reason I ask is I was born and raised in Middletown and Portland!

Lets see them pics! Good luck today, everybody knows working on a mustang can be a *****!

DarkFox
10-26-2007, 11:47 AM
I've spent the past 3 days basicaly sitting in my spare tire well folded in half.... I'm a pretty big guy too... been real fun if you cant tell. LOL Got the wires done to the rear amps, mounting the XM tuner now. will get some pics when something looks diffrent.

UCF52
10-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I've spent the past 3 days basicaly sitting in my spare tire well folded in half.... I'm a pretty big guy too... been real fun if you cant tell. LOL Got the wires done to the rear amps, mounting the XM tuner now. will get some pics when something looks diffrent.

I know the feeling, keep us posted.

DarkFox
10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
CRAP. To front mount or not, pix and explanation incoming

DarkFox
10-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Good News, XM mounted. Now for the rest, here are the pics of where the box will rest if back fired. Problem is, there is only 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches behind the port, it does open at the bottom a little. Its a 5 1/2 inch port, now the question is. should I let it go like this, or front fire them and try to glass a nice looking opening to the rear seats.

XM in
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3927/s5000554ci5.jpg

subs in
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/25/s5000551mw3.jpg

Port issue shot 1
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5135/s5000552hr8.jpg

Port issue shot 2
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9531/s5000553of8.jpg

DarkFox
10-26-2007, 01:54 PM
well... its um... pretty loud. i got to see whats going on with my mids and highs cause those didnt come on, but everything else is pretty freaking loud.

DarkFox
10-26-2007, 02:47 PM
All right, whats the fuse for the amp power on the mach 460?

DarkFox
10-26-2007, 06:46 PM
got the fuse thing fixed... Pretty much done for now, the rears arnt hooked up yet, have to come up with a new way to secure them.... Did a test fire and shook half the bolts loose. I'm pretty happy, its very loud. Though I need to do ALOT of vibration deadening. It looks like it did in the last set of pictures so no more pics to post, not going to "Finish" the install till I get some more power and ground cable in. So for now no rear seats (the amp gets in the way.) Might be able to get a video in next few days though the car itself looks like poop.

MSimz
10-27-2007, 01:01 AM
UCF - The kicks didn't get in the way at all actually. It was a 5 speed and I am 6' 3", and had no problems. The dead pedal was still fully intact and funtional too. They imaged SUPER well (obviously had a lot to do with the Focals, too), and the stage was almost out at the mirrors.

Darkfox - Good to hear you have everything up and running. Have you tried facing them forward and comparing it to rear-firing? Personally I wouldn't think the port being close to the back of the trunk as shown in the pics would be of huge detriment, but hey, I guess it couldn't hurt to try it the other way too. Have you done glass work before? If you decide to tackle it and would like a hand, let me know. Also, I live in Middletown now... My wife and I bought our house here a year ago. We live right down the street from Xavier. I am 26. I lived in Hamden my whole life, went to Xavier for high school, and then went to UNC for college.

t-rex audio
10-27-2007, 09:20 AM
looks good. i would fire them forward also and it will also stop all the truck vibration.

DarkFox
10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
hmmm... now you guys are making me think again..... I think it would look nice front mounted and glassed in... just wondering how diffrent it would actualy sound... If were talking like maybe a 1 to 2 db diffrence on a meter I wouldnt really care, if its a huge audible diffrence to the negative, then obviously I'll keep em to the rear.... guess I may just have to try it both ways.

t-rex audio
10-27-2007, 12:06 PM
firing it into the truck is louded in most cases by 1.5-3db. once you seal it off from the back it will gain some of that back.

DarkFox
10-27-2007, 12:07 PM
So audibly not that much different?

DarkFox
10-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Whats up with so many people from CT being on here btw. LOL

MSimz
10-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Whats up with so many people from CT being on here btw. LOL

WTF else is there to do in this state? I mean, other than pay taxes and huge cost of living expenses...:furious: at CT taxes and COL.

t-rex audio
10-27-2007, 01:20 PM
So audibly not that much different?

the peak fq will be 2-3hz higher firing into the cab.

DarkFox
10-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Hmm...... hard call there... like the lows. need to run something with some real lows through it to see if I can deal with that tunning diffrence.

J31Rob
10-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Subs up, port back is loud in a stang.

I did it for a buddy w/a single OptiDrive & 1000 watts & got him into 40's. VERY loud to tha ear.

t-rex audio
10-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Hmm...... hard call there... like the lows. need to run something with some real lows through it to see if I can deal with that tunning diffrence.

what is the box tuned to?

MSimz
the peak fq will be 2-3hz higher firing into the cab.

I don't think you'd notice a 2hz difference for the most part. It may be somewhere else in the post, so I apologize if you already posted it, but what is the tuning freq. of the box? I would think possible mechanical driver noise might be more noticeable than a 2 cycle or 2 db difference. I can think of more than a few occasions when I got my L5s to bottom out pretty hard - my subsonic filter was not set high enough.

Rob - was that an Opti sub he used?

MSimz
what is the box tuned to?

****, beat me to it.

J31Rob
10-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Rob - was that an Opti sub he used?

Yes, it was a Lanzar OptiDrive.. silver cone, dunno what model.

t-rex audio
10-27-2007, 02:04 PM
****, beat me to it.

:cool:

PwnMaster
10-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Yes, it was a Lanzar OptiDrive.. silver cone, dunno what model.

My stang liked sub foward port side.

Just like most trunks.

It sounded ALOT louder than it was on teh meter.

It moved ALOT of air.

It hated sealed up. Windows down=loud.

Which is g00d for daily driver.

DarkFox
10-27-2007, 06:23 PM
its tuned 34-35ish

DarkFox
10-30-2007, 12:49 AM
so heres a little update... My mids have stoped working... Screw the mach setup, getting a:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6553_Hifonics+Titan+TXi+4406.html
and 2X
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5154_Infinity+Kappa+63.7i.html

Jeremy M
10-30-2007, 01:30 AM
if u start glassing that box subs forward, u might aswell seal it off from the trunk aswell

DarkFox
10-30-2007, 01:43 PM
if u start glassing that box subs forward, u might aswell seal it off from the trunk aswell

um...... What?

What do you suppose the fiberglass does? Last I checked fiberglass wasn't a very breathable material.

Non sealed would just be facing them forward, fiberglassing them in seals them.

DarkFox
11-02-2007, 02:33 PM
heres the next wave of additions going into the stang.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6500/s5000584xa2.jpg

t-rex audio
11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
what are you going to do with the fiberglass?? are you making some pods?

DarkFox
11-02-2007, 03:32 PM
nah, of you notice those adapter rings under that 4 and 8 ga wire there, I'm putting the 6 1/2s in the doors and rear deck (factory spots,) gonna run my own wire to them though. the Glass is gonna be for when I spin the subs around, I am gonna glass them into the cab, so when you fold down the seats, you see what looks to be subs built into the car.

There is a huge accident on 95 though, cutting me off from Lowe's (need some wood to make a sub floor in trunk) so now I am stuck, with that storm coming in this weekend too, don't think I am gonna get out much this weekend, so the only thing i really think I am going to be able to get done is mount the speakers in the adapters, and maybe get the front speakers in, but not wired. Too bad Stratford was so far, I could use a hand ;-)

t-rex audio
11-02-2007, 04:09 PM
You might want to use fleece and resin over that. Then add fiberglass matt to the top of that for strength.

DarkFox
11-02-2007, 04:26 PM
hmm.... not going to have it in there for any structural support, or for the enclosure itself... think I need to go through all that just to make a fascia? Box is gonna be sitting on a sub floor screwed to the frame.

t-rex audio
11-02-2007, 04:28 PM
is just a cover or are you sealing it right to the box?

cocoleveo7686
11-02-2007, 04:30 PM
sick work man, maybe once your done you can help me build a box like we discussed...goodluck with the rest of your install

DarkFox
11-02-2007, 04:36 PM
right now there is like a 1inch gap around the top and sides, the metal is also at a slant so its about 1 inch wide and about 4 inches resessed at the bottom. I want to fiberglass to the car and to the box, so theres no more gap around the box. mostly for looks, a little is that it will seperate the cab from the trunk. but if you look at the picture of the deck there were the mids are, theres alot of holes I would also have to glass over to truley "Seal" the back

MSimz
11-02-2007, 05:37 PM
If you want a hand this week I'll be happy to pitch in.

tsenfw
11-02-2007, 05:48 PM
My stang liked sub foward port side.

Just like most trunks.

It sounded ALOT louder than it was on teh meter.

It moved ALOT of air.

It hated sealed up. Windows down=loud.

Which is g00d for daily driver.

Do you mean sub facing front of car and port facing side of car?

t-rex audio
11-03-2007, 03:06 PM
done yet?

DarkFox
11-03-2007, 03:14 PM
nah man, couldn't get out to Lowe's yesterday cause that accident shutting down the highway, and well today, you know whats up. no garage, this storm is sucking....

DarkFox
11-04-2007, 12:18 PM
got the wood now for the sub floor. Also, took out the fiberglass mat and played with it a bit... Its nothing like the last stuff I used.. I can see why you said to fleece it then use the mat to back it.

Long story short, heading to walmart to see what fleece is on sale, and getting a staple gun for affixing the cloth to box

DarkFox
11-04-2007, 07:03 PM
So I got the cloth, and have it affixed to the box. also got a sub floor in the back now to mount the box too and have my new rear mids and highs in... A pretty good day for the late start I got.

The sub floor:
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/5055/s5000592gv1.jpg

the start of the fiberglass (just fleece now)
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/5190/s5000593qv1.jpg

the new rear mids and highs
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5664/s5000595le2.jpg

you start to see it
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5330/s5000596pq3.jpg

closer
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8043/s5000598sh0.jpg

hasa68mustang
11-05-2007, 12:59 AM
thats an awesome build and kinda gives me some ideas on fitting something different. I however didnt have the patience you do... I sat there for about an hour trying to figure out how I could get the cubes I wanted/needed for my 2 15"s so I could make it removeable for when I goto the track. I gave up said F*** it and built a wall... lol.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y287/chikndude5/95%20stang/Photo0062.jpg

i blew one the 2nd day it was done and tried for a couple weeks to get another one and gave up, ill probably meter it this week and take it out... lol and sorry for post jacking... just thought I would share my mustang experiences with you.

DarkFox
11-05-2007, 09:48 AM
no problem man, i now the fustrations with the stang.... I had 2 orion HCCA 15's (the orginal ones.) Man did I have a problem fitting those. Solution to that was a half wall thing too.... lol.
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7484/stang4xl6.jpg

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/9657/stang5bt6.jpg

Unfotunately all that stuff was stolen from me while I was in Iraq.

DarkFox
11-06-2007, 12:11 AM
got the glass laid, and some paint on it. I really should sand it down and repaint, but this is gonna be coved by my rear seats about 98% of the time, its not a show car, customer car, or any other thing that I otherwise care about the aesthetics. That, and I am tired of not having a car. So tomorrow, front mids / highs go in, subs go in box, seats go back in, and it should be done!

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7973/s5000600ek1.jpg

hasa68mustang
11-06-2007, 01:21 PM
no problem man, i now the fustrations with the stang.... I had 2 orion HCCA 15's (the orginal ones.) Man did I have a problem fitting those. Solution to that was a half wall thing too.... lol.

thats what I was originally going to do a half wall thing but decided it would be hard to make look good and gave up. are you still going to use the metal/carpet beauty panel? wait thats what the seat attaches to right? I think so which means you would which would cover alot of the glass I tihnk... lol

UCF52
11-06-2007, 01:51 PM
How many layers?

DarkFox
11-06-2007, 03:29 PM
thats 1 layer of fleece, though the ONLY place it needs any strength whatsoever are the the little triangles it made on the left and right, just above the wire holes. Everything else is screwed into sheet metal or wood.

so here I got the subs in. really underestimated the rigidity the resin would give the wood where I brushed the face of it. I literally had to kick the subs in. Oh well, they fit nice and snug, don't think there going anywhere.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/916/s5000601ed3.jpg

THEY FIT! Starting to look like a car again.
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9928/s5000609tz4.jpg

And what I been aiming for:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2643/s5000611cy4.jpg

ThatChevyGuy
11-06-2007, 03:39 PM
sweeeeet vids now!

DarkFox
11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
dam bro, still got to finish the install! Those front mids and highs arnt going to install themselfs.

ThatChevyGuy
11-06-2007, 03:46 PM
i just want teh bassyness....

DarkFox
11-06-2007, 03:52 PM
me too man.... me too

just getting tired of working on it. just :suicide: at the thought of it, but I really think its gonna be good once its done.

DarkFox
11-06-2007, 06:08 PM
got it all running, only problem now is NOISE. Got high quality RCAs but when car is running I hear alot of engine noise in mids and highs. NEED HELP. dont know what to do to shut that up. Took the precautions I know about.

1. Good Quality RCA's
2. Ran power and RCA's on seperate sides of car.
3. kept RCA's away from the drivetrain (rotating metal)

Still get noise. what should I do?

MSimz
11-06-2007, 06:53 PM
got it all running, only problem now is NOISE. Got high quality RCAs but when car is running I hear alot of engine noise in mids and highs. NEED HELP. dont know what to do to shut that up. Took the precautions I know about.

1. Good Quality RCA's
2. Ran power and RCA's on seperate sides of car.
3. kept RCA's away from the drivetrain (rotating metal)

Still get noise. what should I do?

What is your amp mounted to? Make sure that its isolated from the metal of the car.

rob_z89
11-06-2007, 06:55 PM
make sure you have good grounds

DarkFox
11-07-2007, 10:24 AM
yeah, i was reading the noise sticky in the wirring forum, and did the common pioneer fix they have, no help whatsoever. I also gave the radio its own chassis ground, (as opposed to the factory harness ground,) also no help.

TO MSimz, its mounted to wood. And to rob, yeah, may redo the ground to the amp. Got to play with it some. I dont want to, but worst case cenario I will buy a good named isolator. Just really wish I could get it fixed without going that route.

cocoleveo7686
11-07-2007, 11:30 AM
yeah, i was reading the noise sticky in the wirring forum, and did the common pioneer fix they have, no help whatsoever. I also gave the radio its own chassis ground, (as opposed to the factory harness ground,) also no help.

TO MSimz, its mounted to wood. And to rob, yeah, may redo the ground to the amp. Got to play with it some. I dont want to, but worst case cenario I will buy a good named isolator. Just really wish I could get it fixed without going that route.

hey man everything is looking good in your mustang...goodluck with getting the noise problem fixed...

DarkFox
11-07-2007, 02:31 PM
added some isolators and it cleaned up the problem a bit, spending the day with the wife, but tommorow gonna redo the ground for the amps and see how it goes. Think I may be able to get a much better ground then I got.

t-rex audio
11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
a good ground should fix the problem.
if you want it metered let me know i have a tl at the shop.

DarkFox
11-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Ohh.... :yourock:

Will definatly have to hit up your shop. Whats name and local?

t-rex audio
11-07-2007, 04:36 PM
T-Rex Audio
Stratford

DarkFox
11-07-2007, 04:45 PM
any specific day or just roll up and ask for manny?

DarkFox
11-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Oh this aside.... The next technical thing I belive I will post is probably gonna be a H/O alternator and the big 3

t-rex audio
11-07-2007, 04:49 PM
you tell me when and what time im open m,t,f 8am-5pm w,th 8am-6pm sat 8-4.

DarkFox
11-07-2007, 04:54 PM
will let you know man, maybe friday I can swing by.

Also, thinking about snagging one of these, heard good things about this brand, what do you all think
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240-amp-Iraggi-Alternator-95-03-Ford-Lincoln-Mercury_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ019QQ itemZ7955208143#ebayphotohosting

DarkFox
11-07-2007, 10:47 PM
hmmm... being just about done with this makes me want much much more.... I think before I do anything else system related I am gonna get a better car for it... like a suv or something hatch-backed. Thinking Explorer or WRX Wagon. Probably 2 15s in a ridiculous sized box.

UCF52
11-07-2007, 11:38 PM
I think before I do anything else system related I am gonna get a better car for it... like a suv or something hatch-backed.

That sounded funny, it's usually the other way around.

I hope your not planning on getting rid of the 'stang first. That glasswork will kill the value, unless you can remove it.

DarkFox
11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
dont think I would get rid of it, its paid for, and I like it. Just not too pleased with its accustical characteristics. Maybe I should just get a early 90s civic and put a wall in, call it a day.. lol

as for if I ever had to remove it, pretty sure I could remove the screws I got in it and kick it out.

t-rex audio
11-13-2007, 04:44 PM
done yet?

t-rex audio
11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
done yet?

DarkFox
11-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Well my offer came through for the new job. This is how the Mustang Work log ends:
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9354/lowfrontwebts0.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5110/frontwebfk4.jpg

Its a little dirty as I have been driving the hell out of it sense I got it, but you get the idea. most the system is going in it. Just gonna go from a large ported box to a small sealed as I will actually need the storage area in it. Also, gonna get rid of the current radio and pick up one of the Pioneer nav radios. Got the swap set up also to send back in the Titan, and going to get one of the Zeus series amps so I gain the differential inputs, and hopefully clean up a lot of noise in the new install to come.