PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing availible space

jdc753
10-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm stuck with what I got, doesn't look like I can move my seat or make much more room so I want to see what I can do about making the most of what I have availible.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/bareorn/truckbox.jpg

With these dimensions and being 60" wide overall I can get about 2.25 ft^3 but only a mounting depth of 5-3/8" for a 10" sub and 5-5/8" for a 8" sub. This greatly limits my options.

Also the current design is with the box built from 1/2" thick material with a 3/4" thick front double baffle.

Is there any stronger material out there I can use other than mdf maybe HDF, or birch, just looking for something strong in 1/2" thickness. Could I make it from 1/2" MDF and then cover it in a layer or 2 of fiberglass resin/matt to reinforce it? Or should I just go full fiberglass? I can't go beyond the exterior dimensions but I can change what I make it out of to gain internal clearances.

Oh and this box is going behind the seat in a crew cab truck, the bottom and back wall will be braced directly against the floor and back wall of the cab.

What'da ya think?

Max_Power
10-22-2007, 03:58 PM
from what I remember correctly, 1/2 13ply birch is about as strong as 3/4" MDF but isnt as dense.

jdc753
10-22-2007, 04:02 PM
I know littel about the accoustical part but I'm assuming with the wood being less dense it would change the sound characteristics of the box? Could this be corrected with lining the box with dynamat or equivalent?