PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle enthusiasts enter please

Max_Power
10-19-2007, 06:50 PM
I am currently looking around for a new motorcycle for the start of next year's riding season. while looking I found out that suzuki just released a new bike, the gsx650f.

suzuki gsx650f (http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GSX650FK8/Default.aspx)

everything looks good to me, except the weight of it... 475lbs dry :eek:!!!!

all of the comparable bikes from kawasaki seems equally matched in performance, but seem alot lighter.

kawasaki zzr600 (http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=268)

I was just wondering if you think it would make that much difference, because I think it would.

dB-SPL
10-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I am currently looking around for a new motorcycle for the start of next year's riding season. while looking I found out that suzuki just released a new bike, the gsx650f.

suzuki gsx650f (http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GSX650FK8/Default.aspx)

everything looks good to me, except the weight of it... 475lbs dry :eek:!!!!

all of the comparable bikes from kawasaki seems equally matched in performance, but seem alot lighter.

kawasaki zzr600 (http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=268)

I was just wondering if you think it would make that much difference, because I think it would.

Weight does make a difference, but the price balances things out a bit. The Kawi, like the R-bikes, has an aluminum frame while the GSX650f is a full steel frame (there's your weight). The Kawi is still carbureted while the GSX is injected. Both have their pros and cons. It's probably about 100lbs. more than Suzuki's best bike (Gixxer Litre). I don't think that's bad at all for what it costs. You get what you pay for. :)

-Bill-

lilmaniac2
10-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Look into the hondas? Cant beat em for reliability and resell value

Max_Power
10-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Look into the hondas? Cant beat em for reliability and resell value

honda doesn't make a bike like thoes. the closest one is the cbr600rr and it costs like 10 grand. I like the price of thoes, plus I already have a 1975 honda cb750.

I'll also ask, do you think there is much difference in the carb vs. injected bikes AT THAT PRICE?

regal8r
10-19-2007, 07:42 PM
my buddy has 2 katanas (97 750 and 06 600) and he is looking at getting a gsx650f. if you want a sport bike without the high *** insurance, get the gsx650f. fuel injection>aluminum frame IMO

:)

SyKo13
10-19-2007, 11:14 PM
R1/6 Ftw

duece212
10-20-2007, 12:15 AM
R1/6 Ftw

Cruisers are where its at, but the R1/6's are **** nice. Guessin the R1 eats it for insurance though, the R6 wouldn't be too bad.

I would personally take light weight over injected if it was an issue, especially if you live in a pretty flat area without much elevation change for rides.

SyKo13
10-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Cruisers are where its at, but the R1/6's are **** nice. Guessin the R1 eats it for insurance though, the R6 wouldn't be too bad.

I would personally take light weight over injected if it was an issue, especially if you live in a pretty flat area without much elevation change for rides.

Meaning?

rollerdj
10-20-2007, 12:30 AM
hey max, i gotta 07 GS500F for sale if your interested.

dB-SPL
10-20-2007, 12:41 AM
R1/6 Ftw

Litre bikes are downright mean.. But I don't think I could own one for a daily streeter. Insurance gets lousy and it's just way too much. I had my ol' mans Gixxer tached out at 94mph in first gear. I'll stick to 600's unless I start any serious racing..

-Bill-

squeak12
10-20-2007, 01:23 AM
[/B]

Meaning?

If there are large elevation changes, an efi would have the advantage as it can account for the change in air density, or jetting on a carb.

Max_Power
10-20-2007, 01:27 AM
R1/6 Ftw

kinda the same problem with the hondas. plus I really dont like yamaha. I just have something against them.

SyKo13
10-20-2007, 01:51 AM
If there are large elevation changes, an efi would have the advantage as it can account for the change in air density, or jetting on a carb.

I know, but aren't all street bikes EFI?

kinda the same problem with the hondas. plus I really dont like yamaha. I just have something against them.

You dare.........

I dislike teh honda too:D

dB-SPL
10-20-2007, 01:54 AM
I know, but aren't all street bikes EFI?

No sir. That Kawi he was looking at is carbed. Along with countless others.

-Bill-

Max_Power
10-20-2007, 01:57 AM
I dont get whats wrong with carbs. they worked great for years, now everyone thinks they are tainted or something...

I do like how efi does not require choke but other than that I think they are fine.....

- just my opinion though

SyKo13
10-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Carbed bikes are annoying....

For example my Yami, gotta rejet for conditions, i.e elevation, air temp., etc.

Max_Power
10-20-2007, 02:05 AM
Carbed bikes are annoying....

For example my Yami, gotta rejet for conditions, i.e elevation, air temp., etc.

have you ever been to Ohio???? Its verrrrrryyyyyyy FLAT!!!

no change for conditions, only cold and warm startups

SyKo13
10-20-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm way the hell in Southern Cali....

I only rejet when the temp goes from 120º+ down to 80º lol

Elevation here is pretty much between 0-200ft

dB-SPL
10-20-2007, 02:21 AM
have you ever been to Ohio???? Its verrrrrryyyyyyy FLAT!!!

no change for conditions, only cold and warm startups

It might be flat but the climate varys often. Right there alone is a PITA as you'll jetting throughout the riding season while EFI will compensate changes automatically. They're more O-zone friendly and many still fight this, but usually an EFI system will yield more power and have better response than it's carbed counterpart. Not to mention it so much easier to tune an EFI system than to tinker with carbs..

-Bill-

Max_Power
10-20-2007, 02:25 AM
It might be flat but the climate varys often. Right there alone is a PITA as you'll jetting throughout the riding season while EFI will compensate changes automatically. They're more O-zone friendly and many still fight this, but usually an EFI system will yield more power and have better response than it's carbed counterpart. Not to mention it so much easier to tune an EFI system than to tinker with carbs..

-Bill-

I suppose you're right about changing for climate, but the temp doesnt effect my honda at all (at least from ehat I can tell).

- also, what do you mean about tuning an efi system vs. a carb?

duece212
10-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Litre bikes are downright mean.. But I don't think I could own one for a daily streeter. Insurance gets lousy and it's just way too much. I had my ol' mans Gixxer tached out at 94mph in first gear. I'll stick to 600's unless I start any serious racing..
-Bill-

I have a litre bike and its cheap on insurance...but slow as hell for a crotch rocket :( Sure does sound good though :D

I dont get whats wrong with carbs. they worked great for years, now everyone thinks they are tainted or something...

I do like how efi does not require choke but other than that I think they are fine.....

- just my opinion though

EFI is nice for convenience, but I've taken my carb'd cruiser from my house which is at 4600ft all the way to the top of Mt. Evans which is 14,130ft elevation with the same jetting. It had zero power, but there is also zero air there, the main thing is it ran fine for the trip up and down.

Thats pretty extreme so for flatland crusing I would see zero issues with a carb. Who cares about cold startups, just give it a good warm up, even my fuel injected bike gets pissy if I don't let it warm up.

Also we have 100 degree summers and I've ridden in the low 30's here and never had to rejet my carbed bike for the weather changes, that is a 1700cc pig of a cruiser though, so its not really built for performance like a crotch rocket.

rollerdj
10-20-2007, 07:42 PM
also with EFI you don't have to worry bout sync'ing mulit carbs. god thats gotta be a PITA.

duece212
10-20-2007, 09:00 PM
also with EFI you don't have to worry bout sync'ing mulit carbs. god thats gotta be a PINA.

Never had to do that before, but I have heard it ***** big time

Max_Power
10-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Never had to do that before, but I have heard it ***** big time

I usually pay the big bucks to have it done :).

I guess Im just scared of the weight of the suzuki, meaning it wont have the performance Im looking for. If anyone knows of a review I can read about it, feel free to PM me, or post it here.

Thanks to all who posted!!!

duece212
10-21-2007, 12:22 AM
You know how much power that suzuki puts down? That is pretty heavy for a crotch rocket isn't it...mines only 395 dry...and that suzuki is 475 dry? If so hopefully it has some good power to hump it along.

mannyb18b
10-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Gotta love efi

Max_Power
10-21-2007, 01:35 AM
You know how much power that suzuki puts down? That is pretty heavy for a crotch rocket isn't it...mines only 395 dry...and that suzuki is 475 dry? If so hopefully it has some good power to hump it along.

no, unfortunately suzuki didn't post horsepower or torque on the web. I'm hoping in the near future some mag does a review on it.

- on a related matter, if you look deeper (which I have), even teh suzuki twin weighs a ton, but no one seems to complain about performance. I could only hope that inline 4 has some hair on its balls to move that weight, and on top of that with 5 gal of gas and a 220 lb rider it just gets heavier.

do you think the dealer would help, or just give me lip service to buy one of their bikes??? :crap:

duece212
10-21-2007, 01:39 AM
no, unfortunately suzuki didn't post horsepower or torque on the web. I'm hoping in the near future some mag does a review on it.

- on a related matter, if you look deeper (which I have), even teh suzuki twin weighs a ton, but no one seems to complain about performance. I could only hope that inline 4 has some hair on its balls to move that weight, and on top of that with 5 gal of gas and a 220 lb rider it just gets heavier.

do you think the dealer would help, or just give me lip service to buy one of their bikes??? :crap:

When the suzuki comes out go test ride it and whatever other bikes your lookin at, can probably speculate but will be best to get on em all and see which one feels best to you. Get whichever one gives you the biggest grin after you ride it :D

A dealers job is to sell you a bike...so ignore the dealer, ride em all, pick one on fun factor and go with it.

Max_Power
10-21-2007, 03:41 PM
When the suzuki comes out go test ride it and whatever other bikes your lookin at, can probably speculate but will be best to get on em all and see which one feels best to you. Get whichever one gives you the biggest grin after you ride it :D

A dealers job is to sell you a bike...so ignore the dealer, ride em all, pick one on fun factor and go with it.

do they give test rides? :eek: I wouldn't think they would...

air_odie
10-21-2007, 10:45 PM
do you have recent rideing exsperiance???

first and formost what are you rideing now or in the past? are you legal and what fits your budget??? 6k 9k 24k???

Also make a list of what you want to do on your bike....dont worry about what it weighs yet, you need to concentrate still on what youre looking for....
NO ONE makes the B E S T motorcycle....its is all in what suiets your fancy.....

if you are going to only be rideing it for pure sport and can deal with it sitting a lot the zuki or hondas will work great, if you want a longer season either gear up more or get more bike, sport cruizer etc.......

try friends bikes out, go to a few local bike hangouts and talk to riders, try the local bike shops and search forums of intrested bikes.......

I got a "few" bike so I kinda been here before.....

most of all dont let anyone TELL you what bike is 'best' discover the one that fits you

Max_Power
10-21-2007, 11:04 PM
do you have recent rideing exsperiance???

first and formost what are you rideing now or in the past? are you legal and what fits your budget??? 6k 9k 24k???

Also make a list of what you want to do on your bike....dont worry about what it weighs yet, you need to concentrate still on what youre looking for....
NO ONE makes the B E S T motorcycle....its is all in what suiets your fancy.....

if you are going to only be rideing it for pure sport and can deal with it sitting a lot the zuki or hondas will work great, if you want a longer season either gear up more or get more bike, sport cruizer etc.......

try friends bikes out, go to a few local bike hangouts and talk to riders, try the local bike shops and search forums of intrested bikes.......

I got a "few" bike so I kinda been here before.....

most of all dont let anyone TELL you what bike is 'best' discover the one that fits you

well said. :)

to answer your 1st question, yes I have quite a bit of riding experience. I have a 1975 Honda CB750 (the first sportbike from japan ;) ). along with that I have taken the ohio MSF course and passed with flying colors, which also means I have my endorsement.

for a price I would like to keep it under 8 grand, and would really prefer a bike for summer ONLY. < that way I would only have to have insurance on it for half a year instead of a whole.

I really like jap bikes better than american/british/italian/ etc....

unfortunately, I have no friends that share my passion with bikes and since winter is upon me, no more bike nights or shows. I guess the internet is my friend :D

alpinetypeR
10-22-2007, 12:05 AM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/91mr22na/Picture041.jpg

best all round bike hands down!

Qbenjamin
10-22-2007, 12:12 AM
That Suzuki will be slow as crap. The compression ratio is awful for a bike that weighs almost 500lbs. I actually have a 07 ZZR600, and I like it. I am still breaking it in, but it corners extremely well. That GSX650 is probably a direct replacement for the Katana. You can save about $1200 more, if you get a Kawi Ninja650R.

Edit: I went from a 04 ZX10 to the ZZR600. Kinda sux, but I only had about 1400 miles on the ZX10, and the insurance was ridiculous. I sold it and got the ZZR600. I pay $443 a year for ins through Geico. I opted out of the collission coverage (+$1700) because most motorcycle accidents are from other drivers hitting you.

Qbenjamin
10-22-2007, 12:17 AM
well said. :)

to answer your 1st question, yes I have quite a bit of riding experience. I have a 1975 Honda CB750 (the first sportbike from japan ;) ). along with that I have taken the ohio MSF course and passed with flying colors, which also means I have my endorsement.

for a price I would like to keep it under 8 grand, and would really prefer a bike for summer ONLY. < that way I would only have to have insurance on it for half a year instead of a whole.

I really like jap bikes better than american/british/italian/ etc....

unfortunately, I have no friends that share my passion with bikes and since winter is upon me, no more bike nights or shows. I guess the internet is my friend :D

Nobody to my knowledge will insure a motorcycle for only a couple of months. Normally you have to pay by the year.

alpinetypeR
10-22-2007, 12:37 AM
That Suzuki will be slow as crap. The compression ratio is awful for a bike that weighs almost 500lbs. I actually have a 07 ZZR600, and I like it. I am still breaking it in, but it corners extremely well. That GSX650 is probably a direct replacement for the Katana. You can save about $1200 more, if you get a Kawi Ninja650R.

Edit: I went from a 04 ZX10 to the ZZR600. Kinda sux, but I only had about 1400 miles on the ZX10, and the insurance was ridiculous. I sold it and got the ZZR600. I pay $443 a year for ins through Geico. I opted out of the collission coverage (+$1700) because most motorcycle accidents are from other drivers hitting you.

SLOW as CRAP haha you have no idea what your talking about!

its actaully 375lbs genius.

and the the TQ is crazy...you have obviously never even ridden one so dont talk what you dont know.

duece212
10-22-2007, 12:38 AM
do they give test rides? :eek: I wouldn't think they would...

My dealer lets me test ride whatever I want, I've bought 3 bikes there though. Even when I went in for my first bike though they let me test ride it. It won't be like back to back testing on a curvy mountain road, but you will atleast get a feeling for tossing a few corners and accelration.

Nobody to my knowledge will insure a motorcycle for only a couple of months. Normally you have to pay by the year.

I've heard of people doing this, I'm sure my insurance company would..but there are too many rideable days in the winter here for me, so I've never inquired. Aslong as you don't have a loan against the bike that wants continuous coverage it shouldn't be a problem.

infernobackman
10-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Gsx-r 1000 Ftw!

dB-SPL
10-22-2007, 01:54 AM
no, unfortunately suzuki didn't post horsepower or torque

I've never seen a dyno result, but I'm willing to bet it will pull a bit over 100WHP. It's not so much HP, you should be looking at while worrying about weight, though. You should be seeking TQ. The Hayabusa and the GSX-R 1000 both put down the same horsepower numbers, but the Busa has a bit more TQ because it's heavier.

No. There are people that will do 6-month policies..

That Suzuki will be slow as crap. The compression ratio is awful for a bike that weighs almost 500lbs.

Compared to what? An R-Bike? And compression is not chosen based upon weight.

-Bill-

Max_Power
10-22-2007, 01:57 AM
Gsx-r 1000 Ftw!

KMA!!! dude, Im looking for something that isn't 1)super expensive
2)isn't super expensive to insure 3)balls out powerful

My insurance (state farm) will insure a bike for what they told me "season" or year. unless I totally understood them wrong, I think the 6 month season would be from spring to fall.

dB-SPL
10-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Gsx-r 1000 Ftw!

This usually comes from your typical "experienced dirtbike rider" or someone that's never touched a sportbike before. If you've ever rode a 250cc dirtbike or 600cc cruiser and handled it with ease, great. When you have just under 190 wheel horsepower under your crotch that weighs under 400lbs. wet, your dirtbike/cruiser experience means ****. It's a street legal race bike. Most (even veteran) sportbike riders will tell you that a 600cc R-bike will more than suit your needs for a streetbike.
And I'm not sure about State Farm, but I'm currently with Allstate and they do seasonal (6-month) policies..

-Bill-

air_odie
10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
go to webforums for the bikes your looking at and there closest competion see what both sides of the fence have to say and find a moded low mileage one of your choice for lower cost then a new one that has very few miles on it.....

if you are gonna stay "jap bike" keep insurance in mind because most of the sport bikes have high insurance rates even with clean driving records due to theft rates so high.

look at katanas, gsx's, maybe the bandit 6(12?), ninja 600etc, r6, rc51, might even want to look at the 750class real hard too!!

ALSO don't be quick to x out the non jap bikes look at the ENTIRE market to find what suiets you...

might be worth saveing more and waiting till next season to try em out but dont rush to a purchase just to decide it was the wrong one....been there done that with a ducati999r (OUCH!)

DONT get a GSXR-1 or ZX 11-14 unless you got money to waste!

alpinetypeR
10-22-2007, 11:54 AM
2008 triumph street triple 675!!!!!!!!!!!!!

air_odie
10-23-2007, 04:49 PM
if your looking to my brother/sister motorcycle to my 675 check out www.triumph675.net

I'm somewhat on there ;-)

Coolwazabi
10-23-2007, 04:54 PM
what about a buell blast ?

not really all that fancy but its a good 500cc bike and cuts corners like butter...

pretty cheap like $3000 or so new..

mannyb18b
10-23-2007, 05:59 PM
If you like yami's, the newer FZ-1 cruisers are sweeeeet. And they run off a tuned down R1 motor, plenty of power. Just got done riding one the other day

Max_Power
10-23-2007, 08:27 PM
well, time for an update.

after much consideration of all these bikes, my money is still on the Kawasaki zzr600.

unless some other bike comes into existance between now and then I believe a nice shinny black one is the one for me!!!

Thank you all for helping me with other options. next spring look around here for a review of it.

NMBR1SPT
10-23-2007, 10:14 PM
I will sell you my cbr 1000rr for $8000 if you want, just throwing that out there, lol
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/62/gagesschoolparty055ix8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

duece212
10-24-2007, 01:31 AM
what about a buell blast ?

not really all that fancy but its a good 500cc bike and cuts corners like butter...

pretty cheap like $3000 or so new..

I have a buell xb9sx, corners awesome, acceleration is good considering its a vtwin sport bike, and it sounds downright awesome. The appearance/sound combo confuses many people, its great!

That being said I'm not a crotch rocket guy so I think the xb9 is fast enough, most experienced crotch rocket guys would probably think its a dog compared to the higher end imports. A buell blast at half the cylinders and half the cc's would have to absolutely **** nutz for anybody expecting decent performance.

edit...just looked, a buell blast has 30tq and 34hp, I think go-peds have a better power/weight ratio.

Max_Power
10-24-2007, 01:36 AM
I will sell you my cbr 1000rr for $8000 if you want, just throwing that out there, lol
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/62/gagesschoolparty055ix8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

thanks but insurance would rape me :fyi:

NMBR1SPT
10-24-2007, 04:50 PM
worth a shot. GL