PDA

View Full Version : Sealed or ported, for my application?

GSRswapandslow
10-19-2007, 01:46 PM
i hvae an 07 honda fit
i'm wanting to put a sub in it...and have to choose whether to go ported or sealed.

the sub is an L5 12, dual 4 ohm
the amp is an MTX 801D, from what i've read on here and other sites..that's about 750w RMS

my problem is the limited space.....

but, my listening needs aren't the same as everyone elses....i listen to country, i listen to hard core, i listen to "emo", and i listen to rap....and i want the sub to be able to handle all aspects of music.

im wanting as small of an enclosure as i can go, while still having GOOD sound.

am i execting too much? should i just go for a different sub?

dB-SPL
10-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Since space is a serious issue, you want decent SQ and listen to such a wide range of music.. You're probably going to want to go sealed, hands down..

-Bill-

Blados
10-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Do you already have the L5? If not, I would go with something a little more sq oriented.

donpisto
10-19-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm with Blade. If you don't have the L5's get something else. With your vide variety of music it will be very to satisfy your preferences. I know how that is since I listen to rock, metal, rap, etc. I have an '01 Accord and space is an issue, gonna be tough getting 6 cubes in there that will come out easily, but it is managable. I have 5 cubes sealed right now for my 18 and it does have excellent low end, so with rap i'm good. With metal or some rock songs that have higher bass notes, I'm missing out, because its not at its full potential. I'm actually surprised how well it sounds and how hard it hits with rap in a sealed box.

GSRswapandslow
10-19-2007, 02:39 PM
i have the l5, but it's still in the factory plastic and everything....so i could most likely sell it pretty easily, but.....i still have it...already

dB-SPL
10-19-2007, 02:41 PM
For the price of a new L5.. You should check into something like an Fi Q, RE SX or IDQ. They'll sound a lot better. Get a hell of alot louder, too.

-Bill-

bigbirney420
10-19-2007, 09:58 PM
For the price of a new L5.. You should check into something like an Fi Q, RE SX or IDQ. They'll sound a lot better. Get a hell of alot louder, too.

-Bill-

gOOD LIST EXCEPT FOR THE re sx, MORE OF spl SUB, NOT REALLY SUITED TO SEALED.
I agree with the IDG and FI Q, but could also add Soundsplinter RLP 12, AA Arsenal 12.

GSRswapandslow
10-19-2007, 10:19 PM
see....i only know kicker/JL/Fosgate/CW.....lol, i live in a small town and the "high end" stuff around here is memphis M-class

have any links to these subs?