PDA

View Full Version : 6x9's in Saturn Doors

Tortooga
10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Do any of you know if I can fit 6x9's in the front doors of a 99 Saturn SL?

I know that I would have to cut out some metal (the factory holes are for 6.5"- I'm not worried about that), but the depth is the issue... Is there a way around that?
I guess that the other thing would be whether to mount them under the door panel? Or would that be bad?
I am pretty new at car audio stuff, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question...

Thanks.

SethPhillips
10-18-2007, 03:56 PM
make a 3/4 speaker baffle (spacer) to add more depth. and you might not have to cut.. also make sure ur door panel dosent interfear.

Tortooga
10-18-2007, 04:03 PM
If I add 3/4", under the door panel, it will probably stick out enough that I wouldn't be able to re-attach it to the door. Would you recommend cutting out a hole in that for the speaker? Or mounting the speaker on top. I would think that on top would look pretty stupid, but maybe not...

Thanks.

goodstuff
10-18-2007, 04:15 PM
If you don't have the nessacary depth then you will have to make some baffles out of mdf like this picture but for the shape of the speaker you are trying to fit ie oval and not round like these ones for my 6 1/2's.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e394/damagedd/S5030393.jpg

you can also check out my door speaker build log for ideas...

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248366

just dont go crazy and hack the door panel like I did.

Tortooga
10-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Cool. Thanks!

Nice work BTW. You made that look pretty nice.

I'll see what I can do...

Thanks!

mlstrass
10-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Just run 6.5's up front, done deal....

shavenblazer
10-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Why do you want to run 6x9's up front??

Tortooga
10-18-2007, 05:27 PM
I have 6.5's in the front now and 6x9's in the back... back speakers are much better sounding, so I figure if I go 6x9's both places, it would sound even better :)

I know, I know - get a couple of subs and a component setup, etc. I just don't know if I want to go there yet.

With 6x9's I can get a decent sound (I know it would be better w/ subs) for not a lot of extra money...

Or I am up for other solutions if anybody has them.

DejaWiz
10-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Why do you want to run 6x9's up front??

x2

What are you trying to accomplish?

What equipment do you already have?

What kind of budget do you have to work with and what all do you still need to get?

Answer those questions and we could probably recommend you a multitude of great solutions.

SaturnSC1
10-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah i'm wondering the same thing except my question is for a 91 Saturn SC....not trying to thread jack...just trying to see if there is a somewhat easy/cost effective way to get it done.

Tortooga
10-18-2007, 05:41 PM
I am looking for a setup that is pretty cheap.

I have a small HU (Kenwood 50x4 - no bells or whistles, model is KDC-2022), 6.5" speakers in front (pretty crappy) and 6x9" in rear (nothing fancy, but they sound much better than the factory 6.5's)

I would like to listen to music (mostly hip hop and rock) and have it sound good, but don't really care about if everybody around me can hear it. I would like to have good bass that I can feel, but again, not like I need to be the loudest car on the street. I know that w/ 6x9's, I can't get that. I'm OK w/ that. However, for $100 I can get a 2nd pair of 6x9's and I figured it would sound a lot better than my existing 6.5's.

I don't really have a set budget... because I just kind of started thinking about doing this. I guess I would like an cheap solution... especially because my wife will ***** at me if I spend a bunch of money on audio stuff :( Plus I've got kids and if it's too loud, then I can't have it on when they are in the car.

Thanks for all of your help!

DejaWiz
10-18-2007, 05:56 PM
We can certainly piece together a system consisting of front 6.5" comps, and amp, and a smaller more sq-oriented sub in a sealed enclosure. Won't get crazy loud for when the kiddies in the back, just clear and accurate across the audible spectrum.

So, if you could place a budget to each of the following, what would you guess? Even if you had to buy a single piece every month.

1. Front 6.5" comps
2. Sub
3. Amp
4. Install hardware & sub box materials

goodstuff
10-18-2007, 06:12 PM
I agree with deja that just running a comp set instead of two sets of 6x9s will sound better...but you have to do it right...it's a long process if you can't dedicate all your time to it but worth it in the end....I think the clincher for me was running one set of speakers instead of three, just cut a lot of clutter out of my trunk since I had 6x9 boxes mounted under the rear deck and also now I dont have to worry about the sub pushing up on the rear deck speakers from underneath when the rear seatback is up because they are not there anymore...I took the power I was feeding to three sets of speakers and sent it to one set, got a deck with time alignment and I drool on my way home from work everyday because the sound is so captivating...trust us it will be worth it.

tbasile1
10-18-2007, 08:47 PM
We can certainly piece together a system consisting of front 6.5" comps, and amp, and a smaller more sq-oriented sub in a sealed enclosure. Won't get crazy loud for when the kiddies in the back, just clear and accurate across the audible spectrum.

So, if you could place a budget to each of the following, what would you guess? Even if you had to buy a single piece every month.

1. Front 6.5" comps
2. Sub
3. Amp

x219832098490231

6.5s in the front >>>>>> 6x9s

blacksatsc2
10-18-2007, 10:17 PM
In my oppinion since your not looking to spend a lot of money on your system just get yourself a descent pair of 6 1/2's and call it a day, dont waste time or money trying to get 6x9's in there, no reason as far as im concerned.

Tortooga
10-19-2007, 10:37 AM

1. Front 6.5" comps
2. Sub
3. Amp

1. Like I said, if I do anything, it will have to be on the cheap. I saw in another post that these Phoenix Gold rsd's were decent? http://www.audiosavings.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=767e9c4a-3e3b-4e48-8a27-7a13f9c0a9fe&category_guid=7617d28f-f8fa-4c53-b172-133ce952abd6

2. No idea... I guess under $100 if that's possible for a good sub?

3. I would like to keep this under $100 too... but wouldn't I need two amps - 1 for comps and one for sub? Again, found you reference Profile 400 SX http://www.profilecaraudio.com/amplifiers.htm Would that be reasonable?

4. I don't even know how much I would need... would $50 or so get me anything decent?

I suppose I want what everybody wants, a good sounding system that is cheap. Only problem is that if it is that good, usually it's not cheap... from what I've found.
Sooo... if I spread this out and did $100 here, $100 there, that might not be terrible. Unless I could talk my wife and kids out of eating for a month or two... :)

Also, I have been searching for a while, and can't really find a lot of good pics of a component install. I am sort of familiar w/ the process, and I know that the 6 1/2" would fit in the existing speaker hole, but then where do I put the crossover boxes? And I would assume that I need to power those w/ an amp. I have never installed an amp anywhere but the trunk... and not sure what the best place would be. Thanks a lot for all of your help and suggestions. Sorry to be a pain in the ***.

DejaWiz
10-19-2007, 11:03 AM
1. Like I said, if I do anything, it will have to be on the cheap. I saw in another post that these Phoenix Gold rsd's were decent? http://www.audiosavings.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=767e9c4a-3e3b-4e48-8a27-7a13f9c0a9fe&category_guid=7617d28f-f8fa-4c53-b172-133ce952abd6

2. No idea... I guess under $100 if that's possible for a good sub?

3. I would like to keep this under $100 too... but wouldn't I need two amps - 1 for comps and one for sub? Again, found you reference Profile 400 SX http://www.profilecaraudio.com/amplifiers.htm Would that be reasonable?

4. I don't even know how much I would need... would $50 or so get me anything decent?

I suppose I want what everybody wants, a good sounding system that is cheap. Only problem is that if it is that good, usually it's not cheap... from what I've found.
Sooo... if I spread this out and did $100 here, $100 there, that might not be terrible. Unless I could talk my wife and kids out of eating for a month or two... :)

Also, I have been searching for a while, and can't really find a lot of good pics of a component install. I am sort of familiar w/ the process, and I know that the 6 1/2" would fit in the existing speaker hole, but then where do I put the crossover boxes? And I would assume that I need to power those w/ an amp. I have never installed an amp anywhere but the trunk... and not sure what the best place would be. Thanks a lot for all of your help and suggestions. Sorry to be a pain in the ***.

1. Yes, RSds are a great bargain. One possible drawback is, they need a good clean 100-150w rms per side to shine. That would definitely up the amp budget.

2. Oh certainly! There are plenty of decent subs out there on the cheap.

3. Nope, you don't necessarily need 2 amps. You can get a single 4 channel. 2 channels to run the front comps in stereo and bridge the other 2 channel for the sub.

4. Yeah, $50 could very well get you a decent basic wiring kit.

So you're working roughly with a budget of $400 tops.

COMPS: Clarion SR1686 (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17333) $99
SUB: CV HED 8.2 (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18503) $59
AMP: Profile AP1040 (http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap1040.html) $90
WIRE KIT: Knu 4 channel, 4 gauge (http://knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOL-AK44) $50

You can get any other accessories like a battery terminal for cheap from www.darvex.com (http://www.darvex.com) and some 3/4" mdf from a local lumber yard/home improvement store for the sub box.

If you order the sub and comps together, you won't have to pay shipping.

Tortooga
10-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions... I will have to seriously consider this.

Thank you again for your help!!

DejaWiz
10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
No problem at all! Hit us up if you have any questions about anything.

Tortooga
10-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Right now my only question is how I can talk my wife into $400 for car audio without causing a major fight. :furious:

goodstuff
10-19-2007, 04:52 PM
don't do it all at once. Quit drinking and save the money for car stereo...put something in her car and say you were able to do it with the SKILLS you learned installing your own equipment.

Tortooga
10-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Real quick... probably pretty stupid, but could I run the comps off the HU temporarily? Or would that be bad?
I would guess that it would not sound as good, but would maybe work?

Thanks.

req
10-19-2007, 05:50 PM
listen to what they say, not to mention that 6x9's will be very hard to fit, 6.5's inherantly sound better because the oblong shape of the 6x9 is not isometric (the same on all sides) and the longer sides of the cone will travel at a slightly slower speed than the shorter sides (stiffer) and will make a mechanical distortion.

its not much, but why waste the money on a design that is not as good. *shrug*