PDA

View Full Version : my homemade componets vs store bought

MrSwiss
10-16-2007, 09:43 PM
right now my front stage consists of 2 aa polys, sealed in the front doors, with 2 lpg 25nfa tweets in the columns. doesnt have a crossover, but i have the tweets hooked up with some bass blockers around 2500hz i believe. the frontstage is getting around 100watts per side(give or take), and i do not have a hpf on the mids. and they get surprisingly loud. loud enough to hurt your ears without the subwoofer on.

now im very pleased with the clarity of my system right now, its sounds really impressive. but theres always been that thought in the back of my head, that maybe a store bought component system may be the better route.

now lets say i spent roughly..... 250$ on this "component" set. would i see an improvement in buying a real set? and for a similiar price(300$ price point).

just very curious, because i should be getting a new car in the spring, and i might throw this set in the rear, and a real set in the front.

mlstrass
10-16-2007, 10:05 PM
I spend the $300 on a HU to properly run your set up active...

I'm very happy with my poly mids.

Paul73
10-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Go active with the setup you have and there ain't much out there under 5 bills that would touch it imo.

T3mpest
10-18-2007, 03:58 AM
right now my front stage consists of 2 aa polys, sealed in the front doors, with 2 lpg 25nfa tweets in the columns. doesnt have a crossover, but i have the tweets hooked up with some bass blockers around 2500hz i believe. the frontstage is getting around 100watts per side(give or take), and i do not have a hpf on the mids. and they get surprisingly loud. loud enough to hurt your ears without the subwoofer on.

now im very pleased with the clarity of my system right now, its sounds really impressive. but theres always been that thought in the back of my head, that maybe a store bought component system may be the better route.

now lets say i spent roughly..... 250$ on this "component" set. would i see an improvement in buying a real set? and for a similiar price(300$ price point).

just very curious, because i should be getting a new car in the spring, and i might throw this set in the rear, and a real set in the front.

you have good drivers, but the crossovers is where your being hurt. Like someone already said, since your using raw drivers anyway, spend the money to go active, that's money better spent than getting a component set.

kross
10-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Get something like this:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17898

You can probably find something cheaper that will do the job, but it's cheaper than buying a new HU.

azbass
10-18-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't get why you used "homemade" vs store bought its the same thing.

run em active and do it the right way.

jblayz1
10-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Get something like this:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17898

You can probably find something cheaper that will do the job, but it's cheaper than buying a new HU.

what if your HU has only front and rear outputs ?

kross
10-18-2007, 10:24 PM
what if your HU has only front and rear outputs ?

Then that crossover would work well in an active setup.

On the crossover, "front" would be the tweeters, "rear" would be the midrange drivers, and "sub" would be your subwoofer. For the RCA connections from your HU, the front outputs from the HU would go into a Y splitter, and go to the "front" and 'rear" inputs on the crossover. The rear output from the HU would go into the "sub" input. You could then use the fader control on your HU as a subwoofer level control.

jblayz1
10-19-2007, 09:19 AM
that's what i thought, just makin sure. thanks.

MrSwiss
10-19-2007, 08:31 PM
my amps and my HU already offer me these options, i just choose to run my mids full, i like the way they sound.