PDA

View Full Version : My Pg Rsd65cs Review:

Pages : [1] 2

tcguy85
10-16-2007, 08:50 PM
well today i installed a set of Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5" comps in my Scion tC. the install was fairly easy and painless for the most part. i installed the woofers in the doors and the tweeters i flush mounted in the stock kick panels. the set is being powered by a kicker zx550.2 amp with the gains set with a -3db 1khz tone to 150wrms per side.

once i got it all wired up, before i even had the tweeters in their spot i turned it on and made sure everything was good to go. the first thing that popped into my head was "wooooowwww listen to all that mid-bass". just like all the reviews say, the mid-bass is absolutely amazing. especially for the size of the driver and the price you get the set for. the woofers really don't look very beefy but they sure sound like they are. my doors and deadened and sealed though, so if you just drop them in w/o doing that the results might not be the same.

now onto the tweeter, at first i didn't know what to think. i had a slight imaging problem right off the bat. but the guys over at phoenix gold saved me with the sweet pivoting the tweeter offers. i first tried pointing the right side at me(the driver) and the left side at the passenger headrest. but that really made the stage sound weird. it sounded very to the right side of the car. but even with the tweeter mounted down in the kick panel i was able to easily make the sound stage sound like it was much higher than it looks. now when female vocals are played they sound like they are coming right from the center, kinda like the bottom center of the windshield or right at the top center of the dash. everything sounds very good and very centered.

for the EQing right now i have 50hz and 80hz boosted by 2, and 125 boosted by 1, and that's it. i don't think the midrange or high end even needs to be messed with. my head unit also has time alignment but i already had it set for the factory speakers so that was done already and seems to be fine so far. i have the fronts crossed at 63hz at a 12db slope, and the sub also crossed at 63 at a 12db slope, and the factory rears i have off head unit power but faded out pretty low, crossed at 100hz. i played a few rap songs just for the hell of it and i think crossing them over at 63hz is to low. i feel if i really give them a lot of volume with certain songs i might be pushing them a bit much. but for any rock song that point is fine, i even played them full range and they were perfectly fine.

i already played them for probably a good 3-4 hours at least, maybe even 5. i listen mainly to rock, alternative, and metal(but not crazy death metal). everything i threw at them sounded excellent. on more mellow songs like stuff from 311's cd Transistor, or ****ation by opeth, everything sounded very crisp, detailed, and clear. when i play stuff that was a little faster and i don't wanna say harsh but stuff with a lot of crazy highs they sound good as well but the tweeters really come alive and sound really loud. maybe even a little bit bright (but not harsh), but i am going to assume that they will mellow out a lil bit over time. but really the tweeter is great.

overall for the money i have no complaints yet at all. well worth the $87 shipped they were on ebay.

now this is only my second set of comps that i have owned. i had a set of Infinity kappa perfect 6.1's a while back. i honestly at the time i kinda liked them but that was before i really had a lot of experience with car audio. the infinity's were definetly very harsh and had no midbass what so ever. i will leave off with a couple pictures, if anybody has any questions or comments let me know and i will answer them the best i can. i will update this after i get more time on them as well, i'm sure the sound will probably change as with all speakers.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/cavalier94sq/IMG_1749.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/cavalier94sq/IMG_1752.jpg
(the left tweeter isn't angled all crazy like that anymore BTW.)
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/cavalier94sq/IMG_1759.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/cavalier94sq/IMG_1766.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/cavalier94sq/IMG_1732.jpg

Mike437
10-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Very nice review, and i think i am going to be buying the rsd's very soon. But first gotta tint the windows and deaden my trunk and doors. But i am looking forward to hearing how amazing the rsd's sound.

Mike

edit: a little of topic, sorry for this, but how do you like v1se edead? I was thinking about buying dynamat extreme, bulk pack so i would just have enough for trunk and two front doors. But is the edead any good?

tcguy85
10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
i like the Edead V1SE alot. it's very easy to work with, very inexpensive and does a very good job. sticks very well also. oh and it doesn't cut you like the dynamat extreme does.

tbasile1
10-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the review and pics :)

Glad your happy!!

TC2k15x2
10-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Nice review this made my decision to get them!

Jacobman
10-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Very nice, let them break in a little more and reap the sound goodness, lol.

tcguy85
10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
thanks guys! :-) a little more.... i just drove around so i could hear a couple songs. i put Metallica's "and justice for all" in and listened to some of that. i listened to "one" and "and justice for all". they both sounded amazing, so detailed and clear even when i cranked the hell out of it. i heard things in those songs i don't remember hearing before.

and for some reason my sub also sounds a lot better now, not really sure why. i reset my gain pretty much the same way as before just to a lower volume on the head unit. it seems to hit a lot harder now though.

i deff recommend these comps to anybody, no matter what your price range. even if you have money for rainbow or something expensive don't waste it.

DejaWiz
10-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the review and I'm glad you like 'em. ;)

tcguy85
10-16-2007, 11:55 PM
no problem.

duckfart
10-16-2007, 11:57 PM
I been having them for a couple of months and I like them also.

johnson
10-16-2007, 11:58 PM
What did you cover the huge hole in the door with? Friend of mine has a tC and bought a set of Polk SR6500's. All he did was put some dynamat extreme around and behind the speaker and the sound is lackluster. He doesnt believe in sealing and deadening...

DejaWiz
10-17-2007, 12:07 AM
He doesnt believe in sealing and deadening...

Oh, the atrocity! Kick him square in the nuts then send him here to get schooled. Please and thank you.

tcguy85
10-17-2007, 06:33 AM
What did you cover the huge hole in the door with? Friend of mine has a tC and bought a set of Polk SR6500's. All he did was put some dynamat extreme around and behind the speaker and the sound is lackluster. He doesnt believe in sealing and deadening...

i used thin sheet metal with some self tapping screws, i think it's called "flashing". it's used on roofs ad siding and stuff. i used that, then obviously just covered it with the deadening material. it made some difference. i did it with just the stock speakers and it still made a really nice difference. killed a lot of road noise and added a lot of mid-bass. i get a little bit of buzzing from the plastic door skin though on certain songs that i will need to fix eventually. i'm not 100% sure what i'm going to do though.

johnson
10-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Is the flashing material thin? Did it flex after you screwed it in?

kross
10-17-2007, 05:14 PM
and for some reason my sub also sounds a lot better now, not really sure why. i reset my gain pretty much the same way as before just to a lower volume on the head unit. it seems to hit a lot harder now though.

I would guess that's because you have your RSd's crossed at 63Hz/12db, that they are "helping" your subwoofer, because they will be playing a lot of bass, too.

tcguy85
10-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I would guess that's because you have your RSd's crossed at 63Hz/12db, that they are "helping" your subwoofer, because they will be playing a lot of bass, too.

i had the fronts crossed at the same point before. i'm not sure what the reason is.

kross
10-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Well before, you had Infinity Kappas, which have no bass/midbass at all, to speak of.

Anyway, I'm glad you like your new setup!

tcguy85
10-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Well before, you had Infinity Kappas, which have no bass/midbass at all, to speak of.

Anyway, I'm glad you like your new setup!

the kappa's i had in a different car like 4 years ago. i had the stockers before this.

kross
10-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Okay, I must have misread that then. Well, I'm just offering ideas. The important thing is, it sounds good now!

dleccord
10-18-2007, 10:13 PM
63hz and 150hz for the mids?

tcguy85
10-18-2007, 11:41 PM
63hz and 150hz for the mids?

what are you talking about? 150hz?

rotciv005
10-18-2007, 11:55 PM
hey im about to buy these for my 1991 honda civic hatchback but i can't find the depth of these phoenix gold rsd 6.5" components. do you guys know the depth of these speakers? thanks for the help.

tcguy85
10-19-2007, 12:04 AM
sure do.... 73mm for the woofer my manual says. which according to my math is 2.87".

what are you going to power them with?

andrewmoore13
10-19-2007, 12:06 AM
you have a link where i can get Edead V1SE? i googled it quickly and didnt find anything.

rotciv005
10-19-2007, 12:08 AM
my civic has i think max 2.25"depth. i was thinking of using a kenwood excelon amp that does 180wrms x 2. but maybe i can make a 1" ring or something to fit the woofer.

tcguy85
10-19-2007, 12:13 AM
well since i have had some time on them i have played with some settings on my head unit and they seem to sound even better now. i played with the EQ a lil more and also messed with the time alignment a bit. i now have 50hz at +1, 80hz at +2, 125hz at +1, 315hz at -1, and also have 8khz and 12khz at +1. so the EQ is still pretty flat for the most part but i messed with it a lil.

i also took a few inches off the right side on the time alignment, which brought the stage a little more to the left. BTW time alignment is sweet, you can actually hear the vocals moving around when playing with the settings. i never really played with it before, (i just set it and thats it) and i was shocked at how nice it works.

so after a couple days with them i still love them and they keep sounding better and better as time goes on and as i continue to tweak things a bit.

tcguy85
10-19-2007, 12:14 AM
you have a link where i can get Edead V1SE? i googled it quickly and didnt find anything.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=52

it's great stuff, i highly recommend it.

tcguy85
10-19-2007, 12:15 AM
my civic has i think max 2.25"depth. i was thinking of using a kenwood excelon amp that does 180wrms x 2. but maybe i can make a 1" ring or something to fit the woofer.

use 3/4 mdf to make a baffle/spacer for them as long as you can do that and still get the door skin back on.

rotciv005
10-19-2007, 12:18 AM
yeah i'll try that a baffle or spacer and make sure i have enough space for the woofer to flex. thanks for the help. :)

bryce-man
10-20-2007, 12:00 AM
how much did yours cost?

.. i love the buy it now button on ebay:veryhapp:

$99 shipped
and i had $30 in my paypal from idk what .. so only $69
woop woop!!!
haha

tcguy85
10-20-2007, 12:11 AM
well it's day four..... i have gotten a pretty good amount of time on them already and the sound must have changed a lil today. the mid-bass seems to have gotten even stronger as well as the 2k-3.5k area. the overall sound started to sound a little harsh and overwhelming, but i fixed it already :-). i had to cut 125hz, 200hz, 315hz, and also 2k and 3.5k all by 1 on the EQ. certain songs started sounding very harsh in the 2-3.5k range so i had to cut -1 on each on the EQ and it made a huge difference.

i also changed the LPF on the sub to 50hz instead of 63hz since the mid-bass had gotten even stronger. changing the low pass helped a LOT with SQ. even the bass now sounds like it's staged more towards the front. other than feeling the bass hitting, you wouldn't be able to localize it very easily.

sooo i continue to be amazed what these little comps can do!!

and bryce-man i paid $87 shipped but the seller and i were both in NY so i also had to pay tax so i think $96. they are a sick deal!

UCF52
10-20-2007, 01:34 AM
well it's day four..... i have gotten a pretty good amount of time on them already and the sound must have changed a lil today. the mid-bass seems to have gotten even stronger as well as the 2k-3.5k area. the overall sound started to sound a little harsh and overwhelming, but i fixed it already :-). i had to cut 125hz, 200hz, 315hz, and also 2k and 3.5k all by 1 on the EQ. certain songs started sounding very harsh in the 2-3.5k range so i had to cut -1 on each on the EQ and it made a huge difference.

i also changed the LPF on the sub to 50hz instead of 63hz since the mid-bass had gotten even stronger. changing the low pass helped a LOT with SQ. even the bass now sounds like it's staged more towards the front. other than feeling the bass hitting, you wouldn't be able to localize it very easily.

sooo i continue to be amazed what these little comps can do!!

and bryce-man i paid $87 shipped but the seller and i were both in NY so i also had to pay tax so i think $96. they are a sick deal!

Man give it two weeks and it won't even be the same comp set that you installed.

wong05tsx
10-20-2007, 01:37 AM
got mine here on the boards from msw danny for 80 shipped 8), think it only took like 3 days to get to me too

tcguy85
10-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Man give it two weeks and it won't even be the same comp set that you installed.

i know what you're saying but i have probably played them for as long as most people would have played them in two weeks. hahaha. i have been finding excuses to get out and listen to them, and i have actually just been sitting in the driveway or parking lot just for the hell of it listening and tuning for hours and hours in the evenings after work.

what changed about the sound as time went on?

UCF52
10-20-2007, 11:00 AM
i know what you're saying but i have probably played them for as long as most people would have played them in two weeks. hahaha. i have been finding excuses to get out and listen to them, and i have actually just been sitting in the driveway or parking lot just for the hell of it listening and tuning for hours and hours in the evenings after work.

what changed about the sound as time went on?

haha, I did the same thing. I noticed no change in the tweets, but the midbass kind of "woke up" - its hard to explain, but it's like it's a completely different driver. Me like.

tcguy85
10-20-2007, 03:26 PM
hmmmm.... so you think the midbass will improve even more? the mid-bass got a lot louder over time?

UCF52
10-20-2007, 08:38 PM
hmmmm.... so you think the midbass will improve even more? the mid-bass got a lot louder over time?

It's definitely a possibility... hopefully

tcguy85
10-21-2007, 11:32 PM
i swear these things make more mid-bass everyday!

tez4life
10-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Im glad your diggin the set and thanks for the review. Ive been looking for something to put in my car for the time being while I save up for my Rainbows and im def going to give these a a try!!

jamesmington
10-23-2007, 02:10 AM
man, im jealous of all this mid-bass talk, i just bought a pair of CDT's for twice your price, and im not sure if my mid bass levels even come close to what you're sayin about your PG's, but then again i just put em in saturday, so hopefully itll work in

Ignatowski
10-23-2007, 06:18 AM
man, im jealous of all this mid-bass talk, i just bought a pair of CDT's for twice your price, and im not sure if my mid bass levels even come close to what you're sayin about your PG's, but then again i just put em in saturday, so hopefully itll work inthats cause CDT has no midbass unless you spend hundreds - HYPE.........

the PG's sound like they would make most listeners happy
and they are dirt cheap too - I am all about that.......
Speaker companys overcharge and any time you can find a great speaker
for cheap you are many steps ahead of the retailers and the rest of your friends

tcguy85
10-23-2007, 10:13 AM
man, im jealous of all this mid-bass talk, i just bought a pair of CDT's for twice your price, and im not sure if my mid bass levels even come close to what you're sayin about your PG's, but then again i just put em in saturday, so hopefully itll work in

are they in your doors? are your doors deadened and sealed? it makes a HUGE difference.

jamesmington
10-23-2007, 05:05 PM
are they in your doors? are your doors deadened and sealed? it makes a HUGE difference.

i just started put the speakers in last week, so deadening is next on my priority list! how necessary are baffles, bass blockers, and all that what not? or is sealing and deadening enough

tcguy85
10-23-2007, 05:09 PM
i just started put the speakers in last week, so deadening is next on my priority list! how necessary are baffles, bass blockers, and all that what not? or is sealing and deadening enough

deadening the doors will give you some extra mid-bass punch. and the baffles probably won't be 100% necessary in every install but a lot of cars need then to space the speaker out away from the windows and other things. but i do believe it is better to mount a speaker to a wooden baffle rather than just a thin metal door panel.

and no on the bass blockers as long you you have crossovers which a good deck will have, and if not the amp should 99% of the time have a crossover.

jamesmington
10-23-2007, 07:10 PM
hmm, i may get the baffles, would i be better off making the wooden baffles myself, or is there a cheap place to purchase them? and also the issue of moisture and wood?

tcguy85
10-23-2007, 07:26 PM
make them from mdf or something like it, yes there is an issue of moisture and all. you could paint them or use a water sealer on them. i didn't even think about it when i put mine in. next spring i will check them out and make new ones if i have to. it's no big deal.

jamesmington
10-24-2007, 12:04 AM
sounds good, thanks for the info

kurtdirt1
10-27-2007, 04:14 AM
Can anybody compare these speakers to a more expensive set? such as some focals?

Towncar
10-28-2007, 03:56 AM
Can anybody compare these speakers to a more expensive set? such as some focals?

eh.. I dont care for focal to much, as I have found their tweeters to be very harsh.. I would put the rsds up with comp sets 3-4 times their price.. Like i mentioned in another thread, they are the best drop in and play speakers ive ever heard. No tuning, no deadning, no nothing, they will sound great..

tcguy85
10-28-2007, 09:37 AM
i agree with towncar but deadening and sealing off the doors will make them sound even better. the midbass on them is insane! they shake all 3 mirrors in my car and thats with the sub off and sound fine doing it.

tcguy85
10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
**TWO WEEK UPDATE**

I have had these RSD's in for exactly 2 weeks now. i must say, they have to be heard to believe! they really live up to all the hype they get on here. after 2 weeks of playing with tweeter angles, time alignment, crossovers, and the EQ on my Pioneer deck these things(and my whole system in general now) sound absolutely ammmaaazing IMO.

like i have said before, i have not used a lot of different component sets in my time so i might not be the best person to give a review but for the price or even maybe 2 or 3 times the price these things are awesome.

the mids and highs still sound nice and smooth but also very detailed even when played very loudly, and the mid-bass, MY GOD the mid-bass is insane. the mid-bass seemed to be getting louder and louder as time went on, at first i had 80hz and 125hz boosted a good amount on my EQ, not anymore. i am constantly turning off my sub just to hear what they sound like with out it and several times i have forgot to turn it back on thinking it was already on. i don't have my sub turned up to extreme levels though. i'm trying to go more for SQ than SPL, so no extreme bass for me. i have also played the rsd's for short periods of time in full range at pretty good volume levels and they handle it perfectly fine, no distortion or bottoming out. even when i have them crossed where i normally have them they can shake all three mirrors in my car pretty nicely. with the sub off you can still feel bass drum kicks in your chest, it's really amazing that these little guys can make this much bass. they truly have to be heard to believe.

in my case they didn't really need a lot of EQing IMO, just some slight changes here and there. i have messed with settings quite a bit and this is where i am at right now. i have 315hz cut by 1(there seems to be a decent peak there), and 2k and 3.5k also cut by 1, and i have 31hz boosted by +2, and 50hz boosted by +1(for the sub), and 80hz boosted by 1, and 12k boosted by 1.

i have the rsd's crossed at 63hz at a 12db slope and the sub at 50hz at a 12db slope as well. the rsd's have plenty of low end extension which allows me to do this. it really brings the stage forward when you can cross the fronts and the sub this low. in certain songs that don't have a lot of low low material my sub is hardly even playing.

dleccord
10-30-2007, 03:36 PM
tcguy: how much are they paying you?

tcguy85
10-30-2007, 03:43 PM
tcguy: how much are they paying you?

they aren't. why do you say that? i wish they were.

i was told i should update the thread after 2 weeks, after they break in so i did.

i'm just extremely happy with my setup and these comps. i want other people to know hahaha.

fwb_1234
10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
I think it was a joke.

tcguy85
10-30-2007, 03:55 PM
I think it was a joke.

yea probably. but i wasn't sure.

DejaWiz
10-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Glad to hear they doing the job above expectations at the 2 week point.

aeon
10-30-2007, 04:41 PM
seems like a fine set of speakers.

tcguy85
10-30-2007, 06:05 PM
seems like a fine set of speakers.

yessir! i am very happy with them. :)

fwb_1234
10-30-2007, 07:00 PM
I think that I'm gonna get some. The CA&E article had drawn me to them already, but I had a buddy that told me that they had no midbass. I guess he was confused...?

tcguy85
10-30-2007, 08:24 PM
either confused, or something was seriously wrong with his install.

dleccord
10-30-2007, 10:49 PM
i thought aluminum materials give good midbass since they're light like paper.

DSKUNK101
10-31-2007, 03:41 PM
i was thinking about getting 6.5"boston pro60 for the speakers in my doors(2005 chevy 4 door silverado). I've heard about Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5" comps. Are these much better speakers to get? if so why and how much are they?

andrewmoore13
10-31-2007, 03:56 PM
if you want pro60's talk to beerdrnkr he's got a set in the classifieds for 75$

DSKUNK101
10-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Are They Good Speakers? Compared To The Phoenixgold Rsd 6.5?

tbasile1
10-31-2007, 05:23 PM
i was thinking about getting 6.5"boston pro60 for the speakers in my doors(2005 chevy 4 door silverado). I've heard about Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5" comps. Are these much better speakers to get? if so why and how much are they?

Since you have a 4 door, I would just do comps in the front, and coaxials in the rear OR no rears at all

SonicBoom555
10-31-2007, 06:15 PM
I can't wait to get mines.... going from factory honda pioneers with noe tweeters speakers to kenwood ones that sounds worst than factories to these on a cadence amp...

caaannnnntttttt wait.

Don Korleon
10-31-2007, 10:25 PM
how does these components compare to the alpine type r comps? ive heard the type r comps but i hear all this talk about these rsd's and i am interested to see which ones would be better.

DSKUNK101
11-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Since you have a 4 door, I would just do comps in the front, and coaxials in the rear OR no rears at all

if the Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5" comps are better than the Boston 6.5" pro60, then why are the bostons so much more expensive. just curious

DejaWiz
11-01-2007, 05:24 PM
if the Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5" comps are better than the Boston 6.5" pro60, then why are the bostons so much more expensive. just curious

Price is never an accurate gauge for quality and performance of a product. Gotta figure in cost of brand name recognition and advertising.

Towncar
11-01-2007, 05:29 PM

To add to DejaWiz's statement, no one said they were better aswell..

Symon_say
11-01-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm gonna get the RSd pretty soon, i had the Xenon before and i like then a lot, but as i have read in here they need like the xenon about 150W, and my amp can do about 70Wx4, i'll use rear fill cause i like my system like that, those 70W should be ok for then or should i get a new amp to power then??

SonicBoom555
11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
they are rated officially for 60watt rms, you will be fine.

DSKUNK101
11-01-2007, 06:42 PM
well everyone keeps telling me to get the RSDs

krayzie07
11-03-2007, 02:34 PM
i like the Edead V1SE alot. it's very easy to work with, very inexpensive and does a very good job. sticks very well also. oh and it doesn't cut you like the dynamat extreme does.

im planning on deading my 2 doors aswel, and wasnt sure the Quantity amount i would need, to do it right for a 2 door honda accord'91.. wut would ya suggest ?;)

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?products_id=52{SALT}cfcd208495d56 5ef66e7dff9f98764da

i purchaased 1 the other day and realized i screwed up on that when i shoulda got more, yet im tryin to save as much as im able to

tcguy85
11-03-2007, 03:57 PM
^ i used about 25 sq ft total between my 2 front doors. i ordered 30 but didn't use quite all of it.

krayzie07
11-03-2007, 04:21 PM
thanx im gonna get 24 ;)

and what were your results with eDead?

is vibration and road noise noticeable anymore?

tcguy85
11-03-2007, 04:45 PM
you will never kill all the road noise ever. i still have a lot of road noise since the only place i did so far was the doors. the real reason i did the doors was to get the crazy mid-bass response, but the lessened road noise is also very nice.

don't get me wrong, my car is a lil quieter inside, there is a lot less noise coming from directly beside me now cause i did the doors. but i notice the loud part of my car is the firewall and the rear quarter panels. the corners panels in my car let a lot of noise in being a hatch.

krayzie07
11-03-2007, 05:02 PM
thnx for explainin that, i will gohead and do this to my doors to get that great mid-bass response :)

tcguy85
11-03-2007, 05:22 PM
if you completly seal the doors and deaden them the mid-bass you'll get will be amazing. i did this back when i had my stock speakers and i was blown away at the difference it made. then when i put my rsd's in and got them broken in it was even better. i am still shocked at how much mid-bass i am getting out of 6.5's.

krayzie07
11-03-2007, 05:38 PM
real nice..

and is there other materials im gonna need to do this right? or just pure of eDead good enough?

ThomasG
11-03-2007, 05:44 PM
nice review i plan on purchasing some of these

doughboyy
11-03-2007, 06:32 PM
o wow i just install these in my doors =] the thing scream like a girl singing good music.

tcguy85
11-03-2007, 07:21 PM
real nice..

and is there other materials im gonna need to do this right? or just pure of eDead good enough?

well if you want to just deaden them(cover all of the existing metal panels) then no, but if you want to get the most out of it i would suggest to seal the doors off. and for that you'll need some sheet metal or something solid to cover up the gaping holes on the inner door panels.

tcguy85
11-03-2007, 07:22 PM
o wow i just install these in my doors =] the thing scream like a girl singing good music.

you like?

doughboyy
11-03-2007, 11:28 PM
the music is beautiful. only problem is i have the tweeter inside my door behind the panel and can't hear it loud when it was outside. i gotta to find a panel that have a tweeter or a make my own hole. A++ 9.5/10:)

SonicBoom555
11-04-2007, 12:57 AM
well I got my set, installed them into the stock mount with the addition of a 1" spacer I bought from circuit city.

midrange and highs = A+++ for the money.

The midbass wasn't as powerful as I see people rate it... I was expecting a little bit more.

What are some good songs you guys listen to to show off the midbass?

One tiiiiiiiinnnnnnyyyyyyy thing I forgot to mention, my cadence amp is still on the way, ( they ship fast as hell but ups is slow as snail )

Anyways so these are running off the head unit.. lol 20watt rms.. maybe not even haha.

Will I be expecting to be blown away again when the amp is hooked up? :)

tcguy85
11-04-2007, 01:08 AM
playing them with some power will help. are you doors deadened and sealed, or at least deadened? that will play the biggest part in getting mid-bass.

Towncar
11-04-2007, 01:51 AM
well I got my set, installed them into the stock mount with the addition of a 1" spacer I bought from circuit city.

The midbass wasn't as powerful as I see people rate it... I was expecting a little bit more.

One tiiiiiiiinnnnnnyyyyyyy thing I forgot to mention, my cadence amp is still on the way, ( they ship fast as hell but ups is slow as snail )

Anyways so these are running off the head unit.. lol 20watt rms.. maybe not even haha.

:rolleyes:
So you are wondering why you arent getting the best performance , and you are powering them off a deck... hmm

grampi
11-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I would like the hear about how good the mid-bass is of these speakers without sealing and deadening the doors. It isn't that I don't believe in sealing and deadening, it's just a royal pain in the a$$ to do!

tcguy85
11-04-2007, 10:00 AM
it's not that bad, and it is worth it!

UCF52
11-04-2007, 10:29 AM

Wait 'til you get some power to them :D

SonicBoom555
11-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, I remounted everything this morning, and sealed up some holes on the doors with some stuff I found laying around the house. I am totally satisfied with the mid bass now.... rattling are gone from the doors.

Clean Clean Clean is all I can say. No more of that harshness I get from the stock crappy speakers.

A little distortion with the volume really really high, but that's due to the head's weak power.

Can't wait till the amp gets here :)

tez4life
11-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Not to thread jack, but do you guys think these would peform well off a Orion 4002 (100wx2)?

Or should I invest in some more power, I know there RMS is low but it seems like everyone is feedin them more than that and getting great results.

tcguy85
11-04-2007, 01:49 PM
100x2 will be fine, but the more power the better. well to an extent. lol. they will really shine with anywhere from 100-150 per side. i have my gain on my amp set to 150x2 but the speakers aren't seeing that much unless i crank the sh!it out of it.

grampi
11-04-2007, 02:35 PM
You don't need 100-150 watts of power on 60 watt speakers. That's overkill. They'll sound just as good on 75 watts.

UCF52
11-04-2007, 05:29 PM
You don't need 100-150 watts of power on 60 watt speakers. That's overkill. They'll sound just as good on 75 watts.

Have you heard them on 75w and also on 150w? What is your experience with the speaker set?

grampi
11-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Have you heard them on 75w and also on 150w? What is your experience with the speaker set?

I have no experience with these speakers, but that doesn't matter. It's a matter of simple electronics. Powering a 60 watt speaker with 150 watts is unnecessary overkill. If you use an amp that can deliver the speaker's max power rating without clipping, it'll sound just as good.

tcguy85
11-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I have no experience with these speakers, but that doesn't matter. It's a matter of simple electronics. Powering a 60 watt speaker with 150 watts is unnecessary overkill. If you use an amp that can deliver the speaker's max power rating without clipping, it'll sound just as good.

you're saying this like the wattage is a constant. it's not.... music is dynamic. very dynamic.

if you put a weak amp on them, say a 60 watt amp. set the gains for 60 watts and actually have good control of the volume knob and not clip the hell out of them, they will not get very loud and most likely not sound very full. or take the guy who likes it loud, but cheaped out on the amp. he is going to try to make them loud with the little power he has and clip them and probably smoke them pretty quickly.

if you get an amp on them that has more power than they will need, they will actually end up seeing around the rated power (at times a little bit more, but probably not a lot more) but not get a dirty signal. they will be loud, and have a full rich sound(just like mine do).

now i am willing to bet even with my amp that can do over 200 per side, with the gains set for 150 per side, that the speakers have never seen over 100 watts for more than a split second at a time. do i think the rsd's will take a CONSTANT 150 watts per side and not blow? no i do not. but like i said music is dynamic so sometime they will see 3 watts, sometimes they might see 60 watts, and sometimes on nasty peaks at insane levels they might see 100+ watts.

grampi
11-05-2007, 07:34 AM
you're saying this like the wattage is a constant. it's not.... music is dynamic. very dynamic.

if you put a weak amp on them, say a 60 watt amp. set the gains for 60 watts and actually have good control of the volume knob and not clip the hell out of them, they will not get very loud and most likely not sound very full. or take the guy who likes it loud, but cheaped out on the amp. he is going to try to make them loud with the little power he has and clip them and probably smoke them pretty quickly.

if you get an amp on them that has more power than they will need, they will actually end up seeing around the rated power (at times a little bit more, but probably not a lot more) but not get a dirty signal. they will be loud, and have a full rich sound(just like mine do).

now i am willing to bet even with my amp that can do over 200 per side, with the gains set for 150 per side, that the speakers have never seen over 100 watts for more than a split second at a time. do i think the rsd's will take a CONSTANT 150 watts per side and not blow? no i do not. but like i said music is dynamic so sometime they will see 3 watts, sometimes they might see 60 watts, and sometimes on nasty peaks at insane levels they might see 100+ watts.

Very good explination. I'll buy that.

T3mpest
11-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Very good explination. I'll buy that.

I would too, if any music made in the last 10 years had dynamic peaks.... Unless your listening to classical or the occasional well recorded album you won't ever need more than the RMS of a speaker. Even then, we are talking about a burst of energy lasting less than 1 second where a dynamic peak would use that much power.

doughboyy
11-05-2007, 10:37 AM
1st day > was impressed with the midbass
2nd day > both vocal and midbass got stronger
3rd day > more to come!!

SonicBoom555
11-05-2007, 10:55 AM
placebo efffect

tcguy85
11-05-2007, 09:37 PM
the mid-bass for me felt a little stronger as time went on. i think after 3 weeks mine should be broken in now though.

SonicBoom555
11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
and you guys were not kidding, midbass = holy cow with the amp installed :) I am one happy camper.

tcguy85
11-06-2007, 09:05 PM
^ glad you're happy! i know i still am! RSD's FTW!

SonicBoom555
11-06-2007, 09:10 PM
O yeah one more question, do I leave the gain on the amp all the way up and adjust from the hu? It's only running 2x75watt rms btw. thanks

tcguy85
11-06-2007, 09:14 PM
how did you set the gain?

the best way is to do it the way explained in the tutorial in the amp section on here.

here is the link, just follow what is said in there. it's the safest way to do it.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63933

SonicBoom555
11-06-2007, 09:56 PM
thanks for the link.

I set my gains to like 65% of the knob on the amp, bass / treble are at 0dB.

I use 25 on my hu like I always do with no boost on treble or bass, and set the gain to 65% so it gives the same volume prior to installing the amp. ( But of course the sound is more dynamic than before even at the same volume :) )

tcguy85
11-06-2007, 10:02 PM
thanks for the link.

I set my gains to like 65% of the knob on the amp, bass / treble are at 0dB.

I use 25 on my hu like I always do with no boost on treble or bass, and set the gain to 65% so it gives the same volume prior to installing the amp. ( But of course the sound is more dynamic than before even at the same volume :) )

i would still set the gains as explained in that thread, it's fairly easy and you won't have to worry about anything after.

setting it anywhere just guessing is not good. there are to many variables when doing it that way.

Duocin
11-07-2007, 12:02 AM
i was thinking about getting the rainbow cmx 265 kicks but now i'm having 2nd thoughts with a lot of people in that thread talking about problems they're having. the rainbows are over 3 times more expensive. should i just get these with a cadence 150x2 and save myself a boatload of money??!??!

anaheim drew
11-07-2007, 01:08 AM
and you guys were not kidding, midbass = holy cow with the amp installed :) I am one happy camper.

Where did you get your PG's from?

Jacobman
11-07-2007, 01:44 AM
i was thinking about getting the rainbow cmx 265 kicks but now i'm having 2nd thoughts with a lot of people in that thread talking about problems they're having. the rainbows are over 3 times more expensive. should i just get these with a cadence 150x2 and save myself a boatload of money??!??!

Yes get the RSD's if your on a budget

UCF52
11-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Here (http://audiosavings.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=767e9c4a-3e3b-4e48-8a27-7a13f9c0a9fe&category_guid=7617d28f-f8fa-4c53-b172-133ce952abd6) $87 shipped

swergerh
11-07-2007, 02:29 PM
my first post. I'm wondering if all you guys can help me out.

I bought some of these after all the great reviews.
I just received my new PG RSDs from online ebay retailer. Its suppose to be brand new but I don't think it is.

the only hardware that came with it for tweeter mounting was 2 outer cups for flush mounting. and 2 retaining rings for surface mounting. From the manual it looks like i'm missing 2 inner cups for flush mounting and 2 outer cups for surface.

Am i right? or is that all the hardware i get is 2 big silver cups and 2 black outer cups that goes around the tweeters.

For people who's bought these please tell me what should be included for mountinf hardware.

Thanks
Cheers

SonicBoom555
11-07-2007, 05:30 PM

I got them on ebay from indoaudio or w/e... they shipped next day and I got it the day after :) But I paid like $8 more than the link above.

Samodo
11-10-2007, 01:06 PM
After reading so much about these speakers I am have a growing urge to buy them. Currently I have some polk momo 650's do you think these will be a significant step up? I have an infinity 7540a amp thats 111x4 @ 4ohms.

tcguy85
11-10-2007, 04:10 PM
never heard the momo's so i can't really say.

UCF52
11-10-2007, 04:45 PM
never heard the momo's so i can't really say.

I hear pretty good things about the momo component set. Do you have the coaxials now? If so, then yes, it will be a large step up. If you have the components already, then you might want to stick with them as I have heard they are two similar sets (the RSd's and the momo's), or look into something that is a little more "high-end." The Pioneer 720's have been getting positive reviews.

Pyro_By_Nature
11-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Are you kidding?

Forum brainwashing at its finest. :laugh:

UCF52
11-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Are you kidding?

haha, so true.

SRim23
11-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Are you kidding?

i dont know so much that its brainwashing.....when spending 400 or so dollars on a comp set you gotta really think how important it is to you.....if you can spend 90 on this comp set and be happy, why not save 300 bucks?

i understand where hes coming from

Towncar
11-10-2007, 09:55 PM
I hear pretty good things about the momo component set. Do you have the coaxials now? If so, then yes, it will be a large step up. If you have the components already, then you might want to stick with them as I have heard they are two similar sets (the RSd's and the momo's), or look into something that is a little more "high-end." The Pioneer 720's have been getting positive reviews.
:confused:
They are in no way similar... At all.. Dont make comments when you dont know what you are talking about.. 2 totatly different sets, 2 totally different sounds.. If you havent personally compared them, then dont make claims.. thanks

UCF52
11-11-2007, 12:23 AM
:confused:
They are in no way similar... At all.. Dont make comments when you dont know what you are talking about.. 2 totatly different sets, 2 totally different sounds.. If you havent personally compared them, then dont make claims.. thanks

Whoa, take a breath... I never said they were similar I said I have heard (meaning I have read it in another thread) that they were similar. No big statements hear chief, just throwing out information I have obtained from past threads and hopefully prompting the person who was asking to do a little research about the differences.

Towncar
11-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Whoa, take a breath... I never said they were similar I said I have heard (meaning I have read it in another thread) that they were similar. No big statements hear chief, just throwing out information I have obtained from past threads and hopefully prompting the person who was asking to do a little research about the differences.

I never said you have heard them, I am just saying if you personally havent heard them, then dont make suggestions, and give opinions, because like i said, they dont sound similar..

SonicBoom555
11-11-2007, 02:50 AM
wow Towncar, every thread I see you post in you're making smart-*** insults. This is the internet though, serious business.

Opps sorry, I am not allowed to give my opinions......

UCF52
11-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I never said you have heard them, I am just saying if you personally havent heard them, then dont make suggestions, and give opinions, because like i said, they dont sound similar..

I never have heard them, but I have read that they have similar attributes, so I was stating what I have read.

Have you ever suggested something, that you haven't had personal experience with, to another member/person?

Towncar
11-11-2007, 02:38 PM
wow Towncar, every thread I see you post in you're making smart-*** insults. This is the internet though, serious business.

Opps sorry, I am not allowed to give my opinions......

Was not trying to be a smart ***.. as you said, its the internet, so its hard to tell if someone is being smart or not.. Not mad at all, I just dont like people giving suggestions without having heard anything..

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but why make one when you have no useage of the product? You see where I am getting at?

Towncar
11-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Have you ever suggested something, that you haven't had personal experience with, to another member/person?

No sir.. I do not make suggestions to things I have not heard.. Its pointless really. I have usage on any product that I recommend.. Like I mentioned before though its just how I type sometimes..

UCF52
11-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Was not trying to be a smart ***.. as you said, its the internet, so its hard to tell if someone is being smart or not..

x2

Not mad at all, I just dont like people giving suggestions without having heard anything..

Neither do I. I was just stating that I have read they have similarities in hopes that he would hopefully find the answer or someone else could confirm, which you already did.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but why make one when you have no useage of the product? You see where I am getting at?

I agree. Just a misunderstanding.

tcguy85
11-11-2007, 11:01 PM
i've been playing with tweeter angles even more. i got them pretty darn close to on-axis. it made the highs really detailed. i'm even happier with them now. :-)

Pyro_By_Nature
11-11-2007, 11:13 PM
i dont know so much that its brainwashing.....when spending 400 or so dollars on a comp set you gotta really think how important it is to you.....if you can spend 90 on this comp set and be happy, why not save 300 bucks?

i understand where hes coming from

It is brainwashing. You can see it in several forms in this thread.

tcguy85
11-11-2007, 11:27 PM
It is brainwashing. You can see it in several forms in this thread.

how so?

thehardknoxlife
11-11-2007, 11:41 PM
The older Momo series MM6 are similar in ways. Alot more than the new series. IMO the MM6s are superior to the new set(take more power,get louder,extend lower etc...). Even so, the RSDs are better performers than the momos. The only aspect the momos might have on the RSDs are in the lower mid-range even then the price difference doesn't make up for it (especially if you have eq to tame the rsds). It's really a no-brainer when considering the two $175 set v/s $90 set that performs just as good if not better(better by a long shot IMO espcially if your considering the MMC6500).

krayzie07
11-12-2007, 08:49 PM
niice.. My PG's just came in today :)

tho i still don't have sound deadener material to do the doors, i can only afford eDead or peel n seal..but im worryin theyll fall off if it gets to hot. So guess ill just install them and give em 150volts each and chek how it sounds;)

tapout
11-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Sweet, just bought a set 20 minutes ago.

Samodo
11-13-2007, 01:07 AM
thanks for the info on momo vs rsg65cs

anaheim drew
11-13-2007, 03:31 AM
Sweet, just bought a set 20 minutes ago.

niice.. My PG's just came in today :

Where did you guys order from?

jesus_ryan
11-13-2007, 08:42 AM
My door mounting depth is 2.5". Will I be able to make these speakers fit?

krayzie07
11-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Where did you guys order from?

http://audiosavings.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=d2e3c967-075a-4802-b5c0-4952a9717668

87$ Shipped ;)

krayzie07
edit: double post, my bad

krayzie07
edit: dam.. triple post :(

tcguy85
11-14-2007, 12:33 AM
My door mounting depth is 2.5". Will I be able to make these speakers fit?

you might have to use an MDF spacer or some sort of spacer to space it out.

SonicBoom555
11-15-2007, 01:02 AM
these are almost 3" in depth 2.8-9"

LBC99
11-15-2007, 01:39 AM
I think I'll be trying a set to replace my Alpine Type R comps.

UCF52
11-15-2007, 02:24 AM
I think I'll be trying a set to replace my Alpine Type R comps.

The RSd's are the way to go!

shoeless
11-15-2007, 12:33 PM
How would anyone rate the Rsd's against these CDT's for $99?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5207

fearturtle03
11-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Never heard the PG's, so hopefully no one bashes me for giving my opinion, but I do have a pair of the CDT CL-S60A installed and I will have to say for 99 bucks they are a huge upgrade over my old JL co-axial, but I do feel they lack some mid-bass. I have both doors deadened but not totally sealed so I guess that may help some if I were to do that, but I am in no way disappointed in them b/c for 99 bucks how could you be.

They are being pushed by eclipse amp at around 90wRMS per side and get **** loud and stay very crisp. Some songs the bass is good enough to really feel in your legs, but i highly doubt it could rattle the mirrors like I heard about the PG (maybe they just had ****** mirrors???).

After reading this I may say try out the RSD's. I may give them a buy and see. Again for under 100 bucks what is there to lose....except maybe 100 bucks.

tcguy85
11-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Some songs the bass is good enough to really feel in your legs, but i highly doubt it could rattle the mirrors like I heard about the PG (maybe they just had ****** mirrors???).

they make all 3 mirrors in my brand new 07 Scion tC move pretty nicely so it's not just ****** mirrors. i was very shocked to see that even once i turn my sub off thats it's now the rsd comps making my mirrors move. the mid-bass is pretty serious!

grampi
11-23-2007, 05:45 PM
I would like to hear a review of these mids sound without deadening the doors. I'd like to avoid having to deaden my doors if at all possible.

tcguy85
11-23-2007, 07:07 PM
I would like to hear a review of these mids sound without deadening the doors. I'd like to avoid having to deaden my doors if at all possible.

why? it can be done fairly cheaply and it's actually not that hard to do, just takes a few hours of your time. i spent just under $50 on deadening mat and it took me about 4 hours cause i took my sweet time. the results are amazing. i did this while i still had my stock speakers installed using head unit power and the mid-bass still woke up a TON. it is worth the time and money for sure.

Towncar
11-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Doors deadened or not, they are monsters of midbass..

tcguy85
11-23-2007, 07:38 PM

i wouldn't know..... but they are sick in my deadened and sealed doors. i did not have to EQ in any extra bass in the mid-bass area.

grampi
11-23-2007, 07:59 PM
I wonder if my XR 650 mids will have more punch if I deaden my doors?

tcguy85
11-23-2007, 08:06 PM
it should help, we just can't say how much.

skeptikal
11-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Placed on Nov. 23, 2007

Item #: 270188807595
Item Title: PHOENIX GOLD 6.5" 240w COMPONENT CAR SPEAKERS RSD65CS
Qty: 1
Subtotal: $87.00 USD

I'll be doing a mini review of these as well. For only $90 may as well give it a shot.

tcguy85
11-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Placed on Nov. 23, 2007

Item #: 270188807595
Item Title: PHOENIX GOLD 6.5" 240w COMPONENT CAR SPEAKERS RSD65CS
Qty: 1
Subtotal: $87.00 USD

I'll be doing a mini review of these as well. For only $90 may as well give it a shot.

sweet let us know what you think. what will you be powering them with?

Duocin
11-24-2007, 01:44 AM
i got my set the other day. they'll be powered by a cadence amp giving 150 to each side. can't wait to hear them.

thangakambi
11-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Now I have disided to get Pg Rsd65cs and its cost is RS.10,000 in India. My existing amp is JBL-CS60.4. Is it enough for Pg Rsd65cs?

wong05tsx
11-24-2007, 09:51 PM
well after 3 months of running my rsd's, my right front tweeter went out last night. I dont even know what caused it. volume was close to off the whole ride home after work since I was on the phone. after 2 hours of the car being off, i turn the car back on, turn it up to about 60%, i hear some cracking sounds, narrowed it down to the front right tweeter. So I faded all the sound to the left so I can deal with it in the morning.. in the morning I fade it back to center and now there isn't sound coming at all from the front right.

Connection at the amp is fine nothing loose, nothing loose at the speaker or the tweeter or xover... Now with the front right not working, the front left doesn't sound clean (kind of like it's about to blow too) when i turn it to about 50% -- everything sounded perfectly clean for 3 months --. I'm pretty sure it isn't distortion that caused it, I got the system professionally installed and installer did gains with DMM and test tones.... any ideas why it would go out by just turning off and on the car??

... don't know if I should just get another set or to try something else.. suggestions?

grampi
11-24-2007, 10:18 PM

You've heard them in undeadened doors?

grampi
11-24-2007, 10:26 PM
well after 3 months of running my rsd's, my right front tweeter went out last night. I dont even know what caused it. volume was close to off the whole ride home after work since I was on the phone. after 2 hours of the car being off, i turn the car back on, turn it up to about 60%, i hear some cracking sounds, narrowed it down to the front right tweeter. So I faded all the sound to the left so I can deal with it in the morning.. in the morning I fade it back to center and now there isn't sound coming at all from the front right.

Connection at the amp is fine nothing loose, nothing loose at the speaker or the tweeter or xover... Now with the front right not working, the front left doesn't sound clean (kind of like it's about to blow too) when i turn it to about 50% -- everything sounded perfectly clean for 3 months --. I'm pretty sure it isn't distortion that caused it, I got the system professionally installed and installer did gains with DMM and test tones.... any ideas why it would go out by just turning off and on the car??

... don't know if I should just get another set or to try something else.. suggestions?

Did the speakers come with any type of warranty? If so, I'd think they'd still be covered if you've only had them for 3 months. If they are covered, I certainly wouldn't tell them you've been running them with an amp that produces more than double the power rating for these speakers. That I think would certainly void the warranty.

As far as why it blew, do you push your system pretty hard? 150 watts is a lot of power for those speakers. Or it could have just been defective from the factory. It does happen from time to time.

SQL4Life
11-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Did the speakers come with any type of warranty? If so, I'd think they'd still be covered if you've only had them for 3 months. If they are covered, I certainly wouldn't tell them you've been running them with an amp that produces more than double the power rating for these speakers. That I think would certainly void the warranty.

As far as why it blew, do you push your system pretty hard? 150 watts is a lot of power for those speakers. Or it could have just been defective from the factory. It does happen from time to time.

what i have read on here many recommend it be pushed to 150 watts, which im with you personally i think its a little to high for rms wattage

wong05tsx
11-24-2007, 11:42 PM
they were only being fed 75watts per channel, its a 4 channel amp. they were powering my fronts & backs.

I got them off MSW Danny here on the forums (Him or his friend has a shop or something) brand new, just PM'd him earlier today.. hopefully its covered

i usually listen at about 50-60% daily and ocassional 80% if I were showing a friend the system

grampi
11-25-2007, 12:09 AM
they were only being fed 75watts per channel, its a 4 channel amp. they were powering my fronts & backs.

I got them off MSW Danny here on the forums (Him or his friend has a shop or something) brand new, just PM'd him earlier today.. hopefully its covered

i usually listen at about 50-60% daily and ocassional 80% if I were showing a friend the system

Then that shouldn't hurt them. My guess is the tweet had some kind of defect from the factory and it's just now showing up.

Towncar
11-25-2007, 04:20 AM
You've heard them in undeadened doors?

yes, my new cars doors have not been deadened yet..

grampi
11-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Does anyone in here happen to know the mounting depth requirement of these mids?

altima98
11-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Does anyone in here happen to know the mounting depth requirement of these mids?

x2.

grampi
11-25-2007, 04:28 PM
anyone? I don't get this. Usually mounting depth is a commonly listed spec. Why is so difficult to get that number for these speakers?

tcguy85
11-25-2007, 04:52 PM
my manual says 73mm so 2.87" if my conversion is right. there are 25.4mm in an inch if i remember right. i think i listed this somewhere else in this thread... if not i wrote it in a different thread.

explorer2
11-25-2007, 05:53 PM
I was looking at the alpine x type and the boston pro 60s, but for the price and performance these caught my eye. How would they compare to the other two sets? And my arc amp is rated at 180 per channel, can these handle 150+, I think they would be ok with the gains set real low.

altima98
11-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Where can I get a set of these comps? I would love to try them in my Civic.

tcguy85
11-25-2007, 05:57 PM
I was looking at the alpine x type and the boston pro 60s, but for the price and performance these caught my eye. How would they compare to the other two sets? And my arc amp is rated at 180 per channel, can these handle 150+, I think they would be ok with the gains set real low.

i have not heard the x's or the boston's so i can't comment on them.

set the gains with a -3db 1khz tone to 150 watts with a DMM and be easy with the volume knob(just don't go past where you set the gains) and you'll be perfectly fine.

tcguy85
11-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Where can I get a set of these comps? I would love to try them in my Civic.

ebay (audiosavings) $87 shipped. $96 if you're in NY and have to pay tax too.

altima98
11-25-2007, 06:01 PM

Warranty included?

altima98
11-25-2007, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the link, I just brought a pair on Ebay. Only $87, with free shipping!

tcguy85
11-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Warranty included?

not sure if they include a short warranty or not. you shouldn't have any trouble though. i wasn't worried about it.

Thanks for the link, I just brought a pair on Ebay. Only $87, with free shipping!

sweet, let us know how you like them. what head unit and amp will you be using? are your doors deadened yet?

n8dgr84
11-26-2007, 10:45 PM
I just put these into Qlogic qforms in my '98 Dakota. These speakers sing beautifully at the >80hz hpf. Lots of kick on the drum and sweet highs..can't say enough!

Love 'em for the money..also a great amp for cheap is the Cadence TXA- Series ( I have the 1502 but feel 3002 is better suited if you have the space).

wong05tsx
11-28-2007, 08:15 PM
bye pg rsd, hello hertz hsk, review to come next week

tcguy85
11-28-2007, 09:18 PM
bye pg rsd, hello hertz hsk, review to come next week

nice, for the price they better be a slight upgrade.

on a side note, i STILL can't get over how much i love the RSD's. i just picked up a cd from a band called Dream Theater called Awake. i had it SO loud and they still sounded perfect. i still think they handle power very well. i do not plan to change these out anytime soon.

wong05tsx
11-28-2007, 11:11 PM
^from your sig, you're running only a front stage? how much watts pushing the rsd's?

i know your cars a coupe and mines a sedan, but i'm considering disconneting my rear fill, trading my 300/4 for a 300/2 to power the hertz.

Edead vise 1?

UCF52
11-28-2007, 11:11 PM
on a side note, i STILL can't get over how much i love the RSD's. i just picked up a cd from a band called Dream Theater called Awake. i had it SO loud and they still sounded perfect. i still think they handle power very well. i do not plan to change these out anytime soon.

Have you considered going active? I really want to try it out, but I still am way to under educated to even attempt it. I thought I read (over on DIYMA) that somebody ran the RSd's with a mid-range driver, 3-way active, and had really positive results with it. I am planning on upgrading everything I have (except the RSd's), so I still don't know if I want a head unit that has all of the processing on board - although I probably will anyways to leave the option open for the future. Just wondering if you have thought about it.

Oh, and I still am impressed with this set every time I crank them up.

tcguy85
11-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Have you considered going active? I really want to try it out, but I still am way to under educated to even attempt it. I thought I read (over on DIYMA) that somebody ran the RSd's with a mid-range driver, 3-way active, and had really positive results with it. I am planning on upgrading everything I have (except the RSd's), so I still don't know if I want a head unit that has all of the processing on board - although I probably will anyways to leave the option open for the future. Just wondering if you have thought about it.

Oh, and I still am impressed with this set every time I crank them up.

i would love to try 2 way active but i don't have the processing for it at the moment. i would have to sell swap decks and amps. i might in the future but not anytime soon.

tcguy85
11-28-2007, 11:29 PM
^from your sig, you're running only a front stage? how much watts pushing the rsd's?

i know your cars a coupe and mines a sedan, but i'm considering disconneting my rear fill, trading my 300/4 for a 300/2 to power the hertz.

Edead vise 1?

yes i am only running a front stage, well and a sub stage. i have my ZX550.2 with the gains set for 150 watts rms per side powering them. it gets extremely loud. i had my ears ringing earlier from them.

you could try using the 300/4 bridged couldn't you?

and the Edead V1SE is the sound deadening material i am using on my doors. i plan to use the same stuff in other places come spring.

UCF52
11-28-2007, 11:38 PM
i would love to try 2 way active but i don't have the processing for it at the moment. i would have to sell swap decks and amps. i might in the future but not anytime soon.

Meh, I was just curious. I can't wait to be done with this semester of school so I can start learning about sound processing and all of that fun stuff. I pretty excited to rebuild my car stereo. I really want to try the RSd's with a midrange and go 3-way active, but I doubt it is a bright idea to go 3-way for a first timer. Plus, I plan on getting a zx350.4 and wouldn't have the other 2 channels of amplification. Anyways, I was just curious, thanks.

tcguy85
11-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Meh, I was just curious. I can't wait to be done with this semester of school so I can start learning about sound processing and all of that fun stuff. I pretty excited to rebuild my car stereo. I really want to try the RSd's with a midrange and go 3-way active, but I doubt it is a bright idea to go 3-way for a first timer. Plus, I plan on getting a zx350.4 and wouldn't have the other 2 channels of amplification. Anyways, I was just curious, thanks.

yea no problem man, i would love to try them 2 way or even 3 way active with a 3" mid. but i don't have the money, and i like the way it sounds right now. i'm sure eventually i will want more though. then we will see which route i go. i've been finding myself turning the volume up a bit higher lately but the RSD's are still takin it just fine. :-)

tcguy85
11-29-2007, 12:04 AM
i'm not 100% happy with my sub stage at the moment. i wanna try something new there eventually. maybe the new MAG ported tuned low.

UCF52
11-29-2007, 01:01 AM
i'm not 100% happy with my sub stage at the moment. i wanna try something new there eventually. maybe the new MAG ported tuned low.

What don't you like about the Treo? I remember when I first became interested in car audio I went to a local shop that carried Treo products. I have to say I still think it is one of my favorites subs that I have heard (I think it was the SSX that I listened to). It ***** for me (kinda) because I can get 75% off of Kicker gear and 65% off of Eclipse gear, so it is hard to justify spending money elsewhere. I am pretty set on getting the zx350.4 and the zx750.1 (both birth sheets read, 372rms and 942rms, respectively). I was planning on a CVX (either 12 or 15) and sticking with the RSd's. Still undecided on the deck. I wish Eclipse still made higher end equipment... I think their most powerful amp puts out 480x1 @ 2ohm.

tcguy85
11-29-2007, 06:39 PM
What don't you like about the Treo?

idk i just don't think it sounds tight and snappy enough. maybe it's the box it's in. i'm no expert on sound quality subs but i have been told the Treo SSi is a good SQ sub. so maybe it's the box i have it in. i kinda wanna try it in the recommended size sealed box. i have plenty of power (800 watts rms) so it should still be able to get decently loud in a sealed box. maybe i'll buy a nice prefab sealed box to try it in and if i like it, then in the spring i'll make a nice custom fiberglass box. it's to cold right now to be out making boxes.

UCF52
11-29-2007, 07:48 PM
idk i just don't think it sounds tight and snappy enough. maybe it's the box it's in. i'm no expert on sound quality subs but i have been told the Treo SSi is a good SQ sub. so maybe it's the box i have it in. i kinda wanna try it in the recommended size sealed box. i have plenty of power (800 watts rms) so it should still be able to get decently loud in a sealed box. maybe i'll buy a nice prefab sealed box to try it in and if i like it, then in the spring i'll make a nice custom fiberglass box. it's to cold right now to be out making boxes.

Hmm, I was told the same thing about the SSi. Let us know if you try it in a sealed enclosure.

Nice and sunny here in FL. :D

tcguy85
11-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Hmm, I was told the same thing about the SSi. Let us know if you try it in a sealed enclosure.

Nice and sunny here in FL. :D

told what? thats it is a good SQ sub?

wong05tsx
11-29-2007, 11:00 PM
well some good news and some bad i suppose.
installer checked my system today and apparently the front right didn't go out. the front right channel of the amp did :(... which is even worse! bah. now the low impedence light is on and the amp gets really hot... think imma disconnect that amp until my next paycheck and get a new one... and listen to nothing but bass.. woot!

tcguy85
11-29-2007, 11:18 PM
well some good news and some bad i suppose.
installer checked my system today and apparently the front right didn't go out. the front right channel of the amp did :(... which is even worse! bah. now the low impedence light is on and the amp gets really hot... think imma disconnect that amp until my next paycheck and get a new one... and listen to nothing but bass.. woot!

i never lost faith in the rsd's!!!! that kinda ***** for you though. i'm sure a new set of rsd's is probably less than your amp.

BTW.... has anybody heard of anyone actually blowing a set of rsd comps? whether it be a woofer, tweeter or the crossover. this is the only time i heard of anybody blowing them and in this case it turned out to not even be true.

skeptikal
11-29-2007, 11:23 PM
I just got mine in the mail tuesday. I haven't had time to play around with them yet. Hopin to get to it this weekend.

tcguy85
11-29-2007, 11:32 PM
I just got mine in the mail tuesday. I haven't had time to play around with them yet. Hopin to get to it this weekend.

cool, let us know how you like them. everybody else has liked them so far but let us know what you think.

it's crazy how i started this thread so long ago and it's stayed on the first page ever since! lol

UCF52
11-30-2007, 12:05 AM
told what? thats it is a good SQ sub?

Yea. So are you going to try it sealed?

BTW.... has anybody heard of anyone actually blowing a set of rsd comps? whether it be a woofer, tweeter or the crossover. this is the only time i heard of anybody blowing them and in this case it turned out to not even be true.

Funny you ask... When I installed my set I "took my eye off the ball" and connected the mid bass to the tweeter input on the crossover and the tweeter to the mid bass input on the crossover. Obviously I heard an audible defect (mid bass barely making any kind of noise and the tweeter sounding like ***). I called it quits after a long day and the next day I completely forgot I hadn't fixed it and on my way to school cranked the hell out of them :D and the realized it. Well, I really thought I toasted the tweeter, but after I got home I found/fixed the problem and they sound great!

tcguy85
11-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Yea. So are you going to try it sealed?

Funny you ask... When I installed my set I "took my eye off the ball" and connected the mid bass to the tweeter input on the crossover and the tweeter to the mid bass input on the crossover. Obviously I heard an audible defect (mid bass barely making any kind of noise and the tweeter sounding like ***). I called it quits after a long day and the next day I completely forgot I hadn't fixed it and on my way to school cranked the hell out of them :D and the realized it. Well, I really thought I toasted the tweeter, but after I got home I found/fixed the problem and they sound great!

not sure on the sub yet i think i'm gonna play with the EQ a bit more, and wow that didn't even kill them huh? nice!

UCF52
11-30-2007, 12:55 AM
not sure on the sub yet i think i'm gonna play with the EQ a bit more, and wow that didn't even kill them huh? nice!

I really thought the tweet was shot after that, the sound coming out of it was insane. Fixed the connection and everything was/is fine. Now get to tweaking that EQ!

tcguy85
11-30-2007, 01:01 AM
I really thought the tweet was shot after that, the sound coming out of it was insane. Fixed the connection and everything was/is fine. Now get to tweaking that EQ!

yea lol. i read up on the ssi and everybody complains that it's very bottom heavy and slow sounding so we will see what happens. also i for some reason have my EQ boosted a lil bit at 31.5 hz (i do like the low low end) maybe that is making it sound a bit boomy. maybe i'll get rid of that peak and turn the sub up altogether and see what happens. i just want it to sound smoother and tighter.

another thing that ***** right now is it's getting pretty cold here now and i can hear a difference in sound cause the surrounds and stuff are getting stiffer and the bass response on the whole system is weaker. so i'm not gonna go swapping stuff or anything major till spring.

Pyro_By_Nature
11-30-2007, 01:19 AM
z0mg the unblowzable speakurrz! :laugh:

Reading these positive reviews makes me want to try them for the hell of it for the simplicity and price. Might wait until it gets warmer so I can do my horn/seas install nice.

Does anybody know the factory crossover points?

tcguy85
11-30-2007, 01:22 AM
z0mg the unblowzable speakurrz! :laugh:

nobody ever said they were "unblowable". but they do seem to take some power and abuse. i was just simply asking if anybody has blown a set or heard of a set blowing. thats all.

Pyro_By_Nature
11-30-2007, 01:31 AM
I guess sarcasm is hard to get over the internet.

bdawson72
11-30-2007, 01:32 AM

I lol'd

tcguy85
11-30-2007, 01:35 AM

from your last post in this thread i figured it wasn't sarcasm. sorry.

but on you other question. i have always wondered what the passive crossover point is as well. i would like to know.

Jybfan04
12-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Just bought me a pair from Egay for 87 shipped...

I hope they sound great...

wong05tsx
12-02-2007, 09:59 PM
ill be selling my pg rsd's (bout 3 months old, bought new from msw danny (or his friend) dealer here on the forums) in about a week or so, wil lbe installing the hertz most likely thursday or the coming weekend, if anyones interested, comes with everything.

never played at max except during tuning & ony lseen ~80watts

(They weren't blown if you read that i said they blew few pages back, it turned out to be a blown channel on the amp :\... even worse!)

BigJohnson
12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Let me know how much you want for them I may be interested...

LBC99
12-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I meant to install mine yesterday, but got lazy :laugh: Maybe next weekend.

vttec
12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
A little about my system.

Alpine head unit
Zapco 4.0
Zapco 9.0

Speakers own in it's class.

polk momo nice mid bass, nice tweeter

alpine type r ok mid bass, nice tweeter

infinity 60.7CS mid bass alright no so great, nice tweeter

Rsd mid bass is better then type r and infinity but I like the polk momo.
Tweeter I think is the worst of them all. The sound over all wasn't very natural sounding to me. For the money I think it's a great deal $87 shipped. If anyone would like a more detail review or any questions let me know, I still have all the speakers. This is my opinion best way is to go hear it yourself and decide. My next set will be the Polk SR.

UCF52
12-03-2007, 07:51 PM
My next set will be the Polk SR.

Be sure to post up a review of the SR's. I can get a great deal on them, so I have been toying with that idea for a while.

ARSkemp
12-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Well, I finally gave in and bought a set of the RSD's.

Their supposed to be delivered 2morrow. I have an 03 escape and i just deadened the doors 2day. Will be running them on a profile amp that does 200rms per side. I will be setting the gain to 150rms per side, since that seems like the magic number everyone likes. prob wont be installing them till tuesday or thursday, as long as the weather permits it.

Im very excited, running stock fronts right now, my old car had infinity reference comps, which really lacked the lowend.

Will be pairing the rsd's with a 12" sealed infinity perfect, but thinking about upgrading the sub in a few months to a ported 15" FI Q for more output.

tcguy85
12-10-2007, 11:12 AM
cool!

sharkhog
12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Anyone know how the 5.25" RSD's would sound compared to the 6ers? Also, how would they sound in the kick panel?

tcguy85
12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Anyone know how the 5.25" RSD's would sound compared to the 6ers? Also, how would they sound in the kick panel?

i'm not to sure on either question really. sorry.

mapolley07
12-11-2007, 07:09 PM
i have the 5.25" RSD's and they sound really good. I've never heard the 6.5" ones, but i can attest that the 5.25s sound excellent, still strong midbass

ARSkemp
12-11-2007, 11:53 PM
i got mine installed, and after a couple hours of listening they definitely changed sound. I was disappointed in the midbass when i first installed them, then after listening to them and driving to work (1 hr drive away), I noticed a huge difference after I parked my car and gave another good listen. Right away i noticed the midbass seemed much stronger.

my doors are deadened but I haven't totally sealed the space around the drivers in the doors yet, since I hadn't opened the doors till i deadened a few days ago. I got them to fit with some work, but until I get home from college (for christmas break) I wont be able to make some good mdf adapters/spacers. After a few hours of break-in I'm already happy with the drivers, and they should only get better after I have them mounted in the door properly and break-in a little more.

Overall, great purchase and would recommend them to anyone who needs budget comps.

tcguy85
12-12-2007, 12:29 AM
i got mine installed, and after a couple hours of listening they definitely changed sound. I was disappointed in the midbass when i first installed them, then after listening to them and driving to work (1 hr drive away), I noticed a huge difference after I parked my car and gave another good listen. Right away i noticed the midbass seemed much stronger.

my doors are deadened but I haven't totally sealed the space around the drivers in the doors yet, since I hadn't opened the doors till i deadened a few days ago. I got them to fit with some work, but until I get home from college (for christmas break) I wont be able to make some good mdf adapters/spacers. After a few hours of break-in I'm already happy with the drivers, and they should only get better after I have them mounted in the door properly and break-in a little more.

Overall, great purchase and would recommend them to anyone who needs budget comps.

:D i'm glad your happy with them. the mid-bass should continue to improve for a few days and they will deff sound better after you completely finish your doors. i thought i was finished with my doors, but i still hear a slight buzzing in my plastic door skin sometimes. so in the springtime i gotta go back and do something about it.

wong05tsx
12-12-2007, 11:38 PM
got the hertz hsk's in today, will post my review up probably tomorrow night, ran out of light to tune the new comps.
but from what i can tell already, they're packed with midbass, but i can't compare to rsd's cuz i also dynamat xtreme'd the whole doors while swapping speakers

animalbmx
12-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I just installed a set of PG Rsds6.5s in my tahoe yesterday!!! I'm running them off the deck till my KICKER KX350.2 comes in. I deff need to deaden my doors as well but yea. For 90bux you I'm a very ahppy customer.

tcguy85
12-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I just installed a set of PG Rsds6.5s in my tahoe yesterday!!! I'm running them off the deck till my KICKER KX350.2 comes in. I deff need to deaden my doors as well but yea. For 90bux you I'm a very ahppy customer.

you should have gotten the ZX450.2 or even the ZX550.2 for them. they love my ZX550.2. :-)

they don't really "need" as much power as i have on tap. but i do love my headroom!

tcguy85
01-26-2008, 08:37 AM
i got these *****es running active!!! wooohooo!!

kornsined
03-03-2008, 01:27 AM
The older Momo series MM6 are similar in ways. Alot more than the new series. IMO the MM6s are superior to the new set(take more power,get louder,extend lower etc...). Even so, the RSDs are better performers than the momos. The only aspect the momos might have on the RSDs are in the lower mid-range even then the price difference doesn't make up for it (especially if you have eq to tame the rsds). It's really a no-brainer when considering the two $175 set v/s $90 set that performs just as good if not better(better by a long shot IMO espcially if your considering the MMC6500).

I currently have a set of the mm6's. Your suggesting these are very similar to the mm6's or the mmc6500's? Are the RSD's that much of a step up compared to the mm6's?

I don't know if it's because they mm6's are older but I've found a hard time getting any opinions or comparisons on them. The install was done terribly so I could never gauge their potential.

It's great to hear about the RSD keeping people happy. I just hope people aren't jumping on the bandwagon without actually listening to them.

jeffs42885
03-04-2008, 02:00 AM
I just ordered mine, and I will be running a Kicker ZX650.4 on them. How do they sound not-active.

tcguy85
03-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I just ordered mine, and I will be running a Kicker ZX650.4 on them. How do they sound not-active.

they do sound fine passive, but they sound a good deal better when run active(in the right hands of course).

i now have this set on a DD S4 amp and they are taking it fine. sound great and get crazy loud.

katodevin
03-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Anyone know of anywhere that has these suckers in stock for under 100 shipped?

Rich B
03-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Anyone know of anywhere that has these suckers in stock for under 100 shipped?

PHOENIX GOLD RSd 65cs 6-1/2" COMPONENT SPEAKERS

Buy It Now price:
US $79.00

Shipping costs:
US $22.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-RSd-65cs-6-1-2-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-RSd65cs_W0QQitemZ360030109148QQihZ023QQcategoryZ32 819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dftnz7
03-20-2008, 01:21 AM
MY RSD REVIEW:

Well I ended up mouting just the mid in the door and running the tweets in the factory kickpanel as high up as I could go with them swiveled pretty close to on axis. There was not enough room to surface mount them on my sail panel, and the dash slopes too much towards the windshield to do anything but bounce the tweeter sound off the windshield so I did the best I could to keep them close to the mid but still hopefully high enough.

My first impressions are that they can get way louder without distorting than what you can even listen to them. The vocals and highs are extremely crisp--I actually am working on trying to cut them just a hair to make them blend better. Tweeter sounds nice on the 0 db setting. The +2db setting was too bright IMO.

Am currently a little disappointed in the midbass right now after what I have been reading--I deadened 2 layers against the outside skin and 3 layers on the panel the speaker/door panel mount to, and sealed every hole I could with flashing then went over it with 3 layers of deadener. I put acoustic foam right behind each mid too. The only holes I left open were the holes necessary to mount the door panel back on. My doors are large so that may play a role too.

I am hoping they loosen up a little like some have said theirs did and produce more midbass as time goes on. I really seem to have a hole from 70-150hz or so no matter how I set the Xovers.

All in all I am happy with them.

OT: My IDQ12v3 is far and away the most musical, precision sounding woofer I have ever had my hands on--Flawless up to 80hz--It is amazing how transparent it is, and well it blends with the music, you don't even realize it is there on rock music. If you throw some rap at it though it will really pound as well. (Keep in mind this truck had stock everything audio until yesterday afternoon) So I am still tweaking everything. A couple of days and a lot of messing around should make it pretty decent.

tcguy85
03-20-2008, 01:34 AM
they should loosen up and gain a lil mid-bass after a few days... maybe a week or two.

how much power do you have for them?

ronjon228
03-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Funny tc, you're the reason I bought these comps and after reading your first 2 weeks of experience it's like I'm reading a page I wrote myself. After 3 days, the drivers are REALLY starting to come to life. Mid-bass response is definitely up and seems to have really kicked in nicely today. I too spend hours after work sitting there tuning my setup and DSP. Funny stuff really.

Also, your EQ settings mirror mine almost identically. I too found that the higher end needed to be toned down just a db or 2 at most. And, I mounted my tweets in my doors, close to the drivers, with the flush mounts. Not exactly as low as yours, but still had to do the same "mount tweaking" you spoke about. That's one thing I absolutely love about the tweets. The mounts are prime time. Simple, yet ingenious.

The only thing I have yet to do is deaden and seal my doors. I'll be doing that once it warms up here in Michigan. Also, I'm just starting to break the drivers in, so I'm expecting good results over the next week or so. Definitely looking forward to hearing it. :D

Great review man, and good convo we had the other day. Definitely glad you touted these comps so highly because for the money they can't be beat. I'm now officially a beleiver and will recommend these to anyone looking for a good comp set and wanting to spend anything in the NEAR price range.

leastbay
03-20-2008, 01:03 PM
the guy selling them on ebay doesnt have them in stock right now, be prepared to wait 10 days for them to come in accoring to the seller, I have already been waiting a week and have to wait another 10 days

lasmujercitas
03-20-2008, 03:13 PM
hey all!

i recently got a set of rsd 6.5's

i have them installed in a 05 silverado single cab, no deadening yet, tweeter location is on the door about a foot and a half from the mid, i used the surface mount for now, will probably use flush when i deaden my doors

i have them powered by a fosgate t400-2, puts out 120x2 at 4 ohms, birthsheet says 161x2, kudos for me

i ran 12 guage speaker wire, overkill i know

all things considered, for the price, and not having my doors deadened, they sound excellent, i have the fosgate crossed at around 80hz, 0 db tweeter setting

i do not find them harsh what so ever, i have my eq totally flat, and they do get quite loud, i was really surprised, when the break in for a week or two, i'll push them a little harder

no they aren't high end, they are a boner on the net at the moment, but in there price range and even alittle beyond that they own all, i'm really surprised, and happy the hype was not hype, thanks for the rsd cheerleaders ha ha!

shoot me some questions if you have any

cheers
mike

95bat
03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
the guy selling them on ebay doesnt have them in stock right now, be prepared to wait 10 days for them to come in accoring to the seller, I have already been waiting a week and have to wait another 10 days
Which seller would that be? There is only one guy selling them on ebay right now. I just bought a set and he told me the same thing, they are on backorder and said they are coming next week. If you bought from the same seller and have already been waiting I think I'll just get a refund on mine. He still has auctions up selling speakers her doesn't even have :verymad:

XxSuperAdamxX
03-20-2008, 06:29 PM
nice pics.

leastbay
03-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Which seller would that be? There is only one guy selling them on ebay right now. I just bought a set and he told me the same thing, they are on backorder and said they are coming next week. If you bought from the same seller and have already been waiting I think I'll just get a refund on mine. He still has auctions up selling speakers her doesn't even have :verymad:

dynamic, I did order a sub from him and it shipped fast, he said it just went out of stock when I bought the speakers but he still has it up on ebay like you said, I dont want to cancel because no one else has them

lasmujercitas
03-20-2008, 11:28 PM
dynamic, I did order a sub from him and it shipped fast, he said it just went out of stock when I bought the speakers but he still has it up on ebay like you said, I dont want to cancel because no one else has them

thats who i got mine through, it took around a week and a half to get them, my amp came in 2 days, i called and he explained that he was waiting for a new shipment to come in, had me a bit worried at first

88txswol
03-21-2008, 12:20 AM
well..just fyi, i ordered a set early last week, and never heard anything, so i emaild him monday asking when they would come and if they were back orderd, and he just said "if you cant wait, then i'll give you a refund"....never really answered my question as to if they were on fact on back order......

so today i called and told him i had to leave town for an extended period in 2 weeks, and that if they werent going to be in by then, that there would be no one there to recieve them......once again i told him..."if they are on back order and you cant verify with any certainty a ship date then just refund me"......

once again he never really answered if they were on back order, or not, but about 2 hrs later i got a full refund....so i can only assume he was pretty sure i would not see them delivered in any LESS than 2 weeks....

so take that for what its worth....luckily i already had a set from audiosavings in the closet...

Good luck, hope he dont take 3 weeks to even get the stuff in....

leastbay
03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
he didnt seem too bad of a guy to me, first he told me 10 days 2 days ago then yesterday he said 9 days, we'll see if it is true, my RSD10 shipped out the same day though from him, Im sure it would have been cheaper to combine the shipping though

95bat
03-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I asked him when I could expect them and he said 7 days (making it this coming Friday).

leastbay - thats the same reason I'm waiting... nobody else is selling and I really want these haha. I guess if they aren't shipped by next Monday at the latest I'll get a refund and find something else...

leastbay
03-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Ill wait longer then that, i really am not considering anything else, I dont think anything can come close to them for the price. I dont want to regret putting something else in there, plus I ordered a Kicker amp just to power these bad boys.

ronjon228
03-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Ill wait longer then that, i really am not considering anything else, I dont think anything can come close to them for the price. I dont want to regret putting something else in there, plus I ordered a Kicker amp just to power these bad boys.

Which one did you order? I'm thinking of grabbing a KX700.5 in the next couple weeks. Seems to be a good choice for my comps and sub(s). I like the KX better than the ZX myself, so I'll most likely grab it off Ebay. I'm pretty sure Hifi is selling them new for under $200 right now.

xhilr8n
03-23-2008, 03:30 PM
anyone have any pics of the crossovers.......i didn't look through all 5 pages...

thanks....

Jason

tcguy85
03-23-2008, 06:42 PM
anyone have any pics of the crossovers.......i didn't look through all 5 pages...

thanks....

Jason

i do!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/cavalier94sq/IMG_1739.jpg

xhilr8n
03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
nice, they don't have any other setting other than +2 or 0 then huh>

jason

tcguy85
03-23-2008, 07:04 PM
nice, they don't have any other setting other than +2 or 0 then huh>

jason

nope thats it.

5.7TBI
03-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I was kind of lurking here trying to figure out what comps I want to run, so I joined. I was considering some DLS UP6's, but I dont want to spend that much, and these are getting some great reviews. I just bought a nine.5 so powering them won't be any trouble. But to contribute...these were just listed!-

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-RSd-65cs-6-5-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-RSd65cs_W0QQitemZ130208727650QQihZ003QQcategoryZ32 819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bdawson72
03-23-2008, 11:05 PM
I bought some.

They better be good dammit.

leastbay
03-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I was kind of lurking here trying to figure out what comps I want to run, so I joined. I was considering some DLS UP6's, but I dont want to spend that much, and these are getting some great reviews. I just bought a nine.5 so powering them won't be any trouble. But to contribute...these were just listed!-

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-RSd-65cs-6-5-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-RSd65cs_W0QQitemZ130208727650QQihZ003QQcategoryZ32 819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they arent in stock, I supposedly have another week to wait from the same guy

5.7TBI
03-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Thats strange, I wonder why he just listed them a few minutes ago, oh well, so much for contributing. I might as well ask this, how would you guys compare a set of DLS UP6's to these RSD's. And while I am at it how much difference would I notice between Iridium 6.2's and the UP6's? I don't know anyone who owns any of these speakers so I am really trying to get an idea of what i will be buying before I do. I will be running whatever passive for a while anyway, and probably an ED 16Ov.2 of the sub channel of my nine.5.

leastbay
03-23-2008, 11:23 PM
he keeps listing them even though he doesnt have them, someone will buy that one and he will list another

josels
03-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Anybody got a new set of rsd65cs for sale?

CaptNKILL
03-26-2008, 08:53 PM
he keeps listing them even though he doesnt have them, someone will buy that one and he will list another

Hmm... I just ordered a set from that seller last night. :crap:

blueshawk
03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Hmm... I just ordered a set from that seller last night. :crap:

Hmm-2 So did I.:confused:

CaptNKILL
03-26-2008, 11:50 PM
I emailed him earlier about an ETA and haven't gotten a response.

I don't have the money laying around to deal with this right now...

leastbay
03-27-2008, 10:34 AM
he takes about a day to respond post when he says how long its gonna take, he told me a few days, BTW im sure he has sold like 100 sets since i bought mine last week

CaptNKILL
03-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I just got an email from him saying that they're scheduled to come in on Friday (tomorrow).

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :p:

innsanes
03-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Thats strange, I wonder why he just listed them a few minutes ago, oh well, so much for contributing. I might as well ask this, how would you guys compare a set of DLS UP6's to these RSD's. And while I am at it how much difference would I notice between Iridium 6.2's and the UP6's? I don't know anyone who owns any of these speakers so I am really trying to get an idea of what i will be buying before I do. I will be running whatever passive for a while anyway, and probably an ED 16Ov.2 of the sub channel of my nine.5.

I had a set of DLS UP6 back then, you don't get much for the price you pay. The sound was very TINNY like unnatural, and the midbass was lacking alot. I would say stay away from them.

Rydinwicked16
04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I wish I could find some of these! lol

Irongoats
04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Try this site.

http://www.audio-n-more.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PGSPK

stocker08
04-14-2008, 10:08 PM
dimension audio on ebay has them in stock. i just got mine for 84$ shipped from them. they really do sound incredible...

djmadfx
04-14-2008, 10:42 PM
dimension audio on ebay has them in stock. i just got mine for 84$ shipped from them. they really do sound incredible...How did you JUST get them for $84 shipped? They are selling for $99.98 from that seller. Well the 6.5" ones are at least.

stocker08
04-15-2008, 12:40 AM
How did you JUST get them for $84 shipped? They are selling for $99.98 from that seller. Well the 6.5" ones are at least.

I got the 5.25in. speakers. They also increased the price a few days after i bought them.....

djmadfx
04-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Oh okay. You got me all excited. Though your bought the 6.5" ones.

Slammed
04-15-2008, 01:07 AM
My PGs looks nice in a box :)

andrewibk
04-21-2008, 07:18 PM
god dammit, i want to flush mount my tweets, but I guess the outter lid didnt come with my set.. anything i can do ?

tcguy85
04-21-2008, 07:24 PM
god dammit, i want to flush mount my tweets, but I guess the outter lid didnt come with my set.. anything i can do ?

outer lid? which piece are you talking about? it comes setup ready to flush mount. it has mounting options but the way it comes packaged makes it ready to flush mount.

andrewibk
04-21-2008, 07:32 PM
i dont have the "outter cup" if you go to page 6 in the manual.

andrewibk
04-21-2008, 07:35 PM
dammit, now im screwed..

tcguy85
04-21-2008, 09:04 PM
did you buy them new?

andrewibk
04-22-2008, 12:16 AM
brand new.

andrewibk
04-24-2008, 02:31 AM
got them installed and i am amazed !! hopefully the midbass gets better as it breaks in like you guys mentioned. raamaat also on its way !

leastbay
04-24-2008, 09:25 AM
im going to pick mine up at UPS in a few minutes, also have a whole stack of damplifier pro, Ill post the results if I get them in today

dspencer24
04-24-2008, 11:30 PM
got mine installed today and im definatly not impressed with the sound quality but whats to be expected from pg and 100 dollars

king ranch
04-24-2008, 11:42 PM
do you think the polk momo's are better or mb quart lower budget ones or the cdt62's or kicker ks

skydeaner
04-24-2008, 11:49 PM
i saw your review dspence, recommend eqing in the 2.0-3.5 range, i have mine dropped greatly through there. That is the only way i was able to get rid of the harshness. If you don't have the eqing capabilities to do so, i would not recommend getting these speakers at this point. They do get very loud for how cheap they are though.

andrewibk
04-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Do you think I should get an external EQ ? I have a cda-9885 with only bass and treb controls.. reccomendations? The sound seems too light, and not full.. my hpf is at 120.

tcguy85
04-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Do you think I should get an external EQ ? I have a cda-9885 with only bass and treb controls.. reccomendations? The sound seems too light, and not full.. my hpf is at 120.

lower your HPF to 80HZ. they rsd's can easily handle an 80hz HP.

andrewibk
04-27-2008, 12:08 AM
everything worked out pretty well for me, but they are a bit harsh.. =/

tcguy85
04-27-2008, 12:30 PM
i found with the rsd's it's not the tweeter that causes any harshness. it's the upper portion of what the mids play. i think the rsd mids are best crossed low like around 2k or so. the tweeters can play plenty low with a steep slope and still take all the power you'd want to give them.

the mid-bass is sick (if you have a good amount of power on tap) for such an inexpensive set and the tweeters IMO sound great, the only downfall i see with the rsd set is the mid-range clarity. sometimes with the passives the mid-range can get quite "edgy" sounding. make the switch to active, throw a whole bunch of power to everything, cross the mids and tweeters low and do a lil EQing and you'll be in heaven.

miker
04-27-2008, 03:37 PM
tcguy hit it..

Mids are harsh, highs are pretty good though..

Mid bass is good, but you do need a lot of power for it to some out.

andrewibk
04-28-2008, 02:15 AM
the rsd's are starting to smoothen out and sound less harsh as they break in.

tcguy85
04-28-2008, 02:16 AM
thats good to hear.

or your ears are just getting used to it. lol

king ranch
04-28-2008, 02:24 AM
i am confused on how the mids are harsh and highs are good i thought mid is midbass basically and i thought the highs meant harsh if someone said they were harsh

tcguy85
04-28-2008, 02:36 AM
there is sub-bass, mid-bass, mid-range and then highs.

after having quite a bit of experience with this set i have come to the conclusion that the upper mid-range can be harsh. but it's not the tweeters its the mids that cause the problem.

king ranch
04-28-2008, 02:52 AM
there is sub-bass, mid-bass, mid-range and then highs.

after having quite a bit of experience with this set i have come to the conclusion that the upper mid-range can be harsh. but it's not the tweeters its the mids that cause the problem.

i sent you a pm asking what you think is best

tcguy85
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
i can't answer that question. the only ones i have used that you listed is the rsd's.

srunr04
04-29-2008, 02:27 AM
They're available on ebay by audiodesigns. $87 + free shipping! :eek:

ebay lnk (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350052883298&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 350052883298%2509%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1)

CaptNKILL
04-29-2008, 02:56 AM
They're available on ebay by audiodesigns. $87 + free shipping! :eek:

ebay lnk (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350052883298&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 350052883298%2509%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1)

That's audiosavings, not audiodesigns.

Nice price though.

bigbangtheory
04-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Just picked up a set the other day from that 5.7 guy on here. Hopefully they do better than my low budget MB Quarts did.

mikeyq926
04-30-2008, 09:11 PM
ok so i'm having this issue with my tweets where i feel like the right side is more on point than my left one. any tip on how i can get it to sound like it's in front of me?

mikeyq926
04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Just picked up a set the other day from that 5.7 guy on here. Hopefully they do better than my low budget MB Quarts did.

oh man you are going to love them! the midbass is amazing! i love mine to death. =D

tcguy85
04-30-2008, 09:17 PM
ok so i'm having this issue with my tweets where i feel like the right side is more on point than my left one. any tip on how i can get it to sound like it's in front of me?

you either need to angle them differently, or fix it with a L/R EQ. not much else you can do. well, maybe put the left side on +2 on the crossover and the right side at 0 on the crossover. i had the same problem until i put my tweeters on axis. my auto EQ now actually tried eqing down my left side tweeter.

i'd say mess with your T/A, but T/A doesn't do much on tweeters. T/A should be adjusted till vocals sound centered, which are frequencies that the mids will mostly be taking care of.

RoachForLife
07-30-2008, 09:48 AM
For tweeter placement Im unsure where I should mount. Options are

-Sail panels
-In door panel next to mid (if sitting they would be closer to the front of the car from the mid)
-In kick panel (like yours)

I imagine the sail panel could be harder to tune but which would sound the best? Or will there be little difference? The last option would be the furtherest and lowest of the options but the 2nd would be closest to the mid. (3rd is about 8" from mid whereas 2nd is 2")

Thanks so much!

DejaWiz
07-30-2008, 11:15 AM
^ you can always use some putty or double-sided tape to experiment with tweeter placement.

Slammed
07-30-2008, 11:21 AM
:)

tcguy85
07-30-2008, 08:10 PM
^ you can always use some putty or double-sided tape to experiment with tweeter placement.

x2

BTW: i'm stilling running the rsd's. they are still surviving my "crazy" amount of power and at what some may call "extreme" crossover points. :)

phandango
08-06-2008, 02:07 AM
I need to get spacers for these on my Z and wondered if anyone knew the mounting hole size?

5.00", 5.25", 5.50" or 5.75"...

RoachForLife
08-06-2008, 08:10 AM
I know this isnt ultra helpful but Id recommend finding a z forum (specific to your car). That would be your best bet

Anniku989
08-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Just got mine in today. Have to admit, the alpines I had before were quite a bit brighter (5.25" type s coax's), but a bit clearer.

Actually was quite dissapointed with them, until I accidentally turned off my HPF on the hu playing around (forgot the point of the crossover, and thought i still needed it on in head unit, first set of comps), and i thought the subs got turned on lol.

Gotta definately deaden the doors now. Midbass on these things is crazy. :eek:

Only throwing like 30-50w to each side, and I can probably max the suspension of the mids out. How much difference do you guys think I'll notice if I throw 100+rms to them (which everyone seems to be suggesting)? I'm VERY impressed with the midbass, and the upper end is about the same as the alpines, but its hard to hear them with the doors rattling like crazy

Towncar
08-09-2008, 01:38 AM
You need more power. The alpines were much louder because they are coaxes. Components require more power, as you loose a ton of power going through the passive crossover network. Trowing 100 watts on them should make a huge difference.

kidwolf909
08-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Just got mine in today. Have to admit, the alpines I had before were quite a bit brighter (5.25" type s coax's), but a bit clearer.

Actually was quite dissapointed with them, until I accidentally turned off my HPF on the hu playing around (forgot the point of the crossover, and thought i still needed it on in head unit, first set of comps), and i thought the subs got turned on lol.

Gotta definately deaden the doors now. Midbass on these things is crazy. :eek:

Only throwing like 30-50w to each side, and I can probably max the suspension of the mids out. How much difference do you guys think I'll notice if I throw 100+rms to them (which everyone seems to be suggesting)? I'm VERY impressed with the midbass, and the upper end is about the same as the alpines, but its hard to hear them with the doors rattling like crazy

Would be a HUGE difference. I'm feeding mine 150wRMS per side and it's amazing... I still don't max out the suspension on the mids. I have them crossed at 100Hz/18db slope though, so that's why I haven't maxed them out. They get pretty **** loud though. Definitely deaden your doors up, will help out a ton!

You'll definitely wanna cross them at least around 63-80Hz if you want them to get loud without slapping the backplate.

revrider1
08-09-2008, 01:44 AM
I love mine off of the HU power, a bit shrill...

They getting amped very soon...